Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sails of Savage Mill (Maryland)

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Todd

Default Sails of Savage Mill (Maryland)

Received my kickstarter package today, and hopefully retail packages will go out soon, so I think it's time to start talking about a monthly Sails of Glory game at The Family Game store in Savage Mill, MD. Talking to the store manager, it seems Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday nights are fairly quiet and could accomodate an event. Talking with the home manager, Tuesday or Wednesday would be prefered. 6:00 to 9:00 is almost certainly the time slot. So, who's interested, and what nights work?

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Blackjohn

Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays don't work for me.

I 'd love to join but I am afraid that Savage Mill may be a bit too far for me to drive on a week night. Google maps tells me that the store is just off I-95 south of Baltimore. That's about 1-1/2 hrs for me barring traffic from DE. Do you run games (WGF as well) on Saturdays?

Eric

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Todd

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    Do you run games (WGF as well) on Saturdays?
    Not generally. If he have one I'll be sure to post in the relevant thread.

Thanks!

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Todd

So I won't be there, as I already had other plans, but The Family Game Store is having a demo day on:
    Sunday, February 9th, at noon.

If anyone sees this and decides to go, I'd appreciate it if you mentioned you heard about it form me through this site (they'll know me as the guy who runs Wings of War nights).

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Todd

Apparently The Family Game Store had 8 for their demo day. More importantly, they've decided to try running Sails of Glory nights on the first and third Monday of the month. That makes the next night:
    Monday, February 17th @ 6:00

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Todd

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudotheist View Post
    That makes the next night:
    Monday, February 17th @ 6:00
    Don't know if anyone's reading this thread, but FYI: the start time is apparently 7:00...

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Todd

Another session this Monday if anyone is interested...

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Todd

Another session tomorrow. Exciting develpoments fo this event, as I actually expect to be able to make it finally!

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Todd

I actually made it out last night, and they had a total of 5 people. We ran the 4 small British ships agaist a Fench ship of the line with advanced rules. One of our ships managed to inflict 2 broken masts and a leak on the SoL in the opening exchange, which kinda tilted the odds in Englands favor. But the Fench at least managed to destroy that ship before going down.

Next event should be Monday, April 14th @ 7:00

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Todd

One week until the next Monday night game (which I don't think I'll be able to make)!

Also, the Family Game Store is celebrating Tabletop Day with Sails of Glory (among other things); they'll be playing starting at 1:00 on Saturday, April 5th.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Todd

I don't know that anyone ever sees this thread, but I just wanted to say the games are still going on. Last one we actually had 8 people, and next one is Monday!

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I don't know that anyone ever sees this thread, but I just wanted to say the games are still going on. Last one we actually had 8 people, and next one is Monday!
    That's great news Todd. Are you playing with any of the Wave 2 ships or sticking with the Starter set and the Wave 1 add on's?

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Todd

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    That's great news Todd. Are you playing with any of the Wave 2 ships or sticking with the Starter set and the Wave 1 add on's?
    We've got wave 2 available; whether or not we use them depends on what balanced fleets we can come up with.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

We've got wave 2 available; whether or not we use them depends on what balanced fleets we can come up with.
    Cool! Thanks for the reply.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Todd

Games are still going here; I think we've had 5 the last two times I made it out. Hopefully some of the regulars will find this thread and we can start planning some games in advance. Still first and third Monday of the month, making the next game Monday, May 18th... which I will not be able to make it to.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bob

The Family Game Store played host to four happy sailors last night.

Two British ships, an SOL an a light frigate, attacked a convoy of merchant ships guarded by two French ships, a light frigate and a heavy frigate that looked a lot like the Constitution. I had to use her, she hasn't gotten to play at all and needed the exercise. The French light frigate sank the British light frigate and the British SOL damaged the Le Constitution so badly that she wasn't any use for the rest of the night. The British finished the game having captured one merchantman and sinking another. Two merchants and the two French ships all survived, but trust me the Brits won the day.

We invite all of the Maryland members who frequent this forum to come down to the Family Game Store at Savage Mill Mall on the first and third Monday of each month to play a little. We meet at 7 pm.

Bob
    Last edited by Bos'n; 05-20-2015 at 14:19. Reason: wrong time for the next meeting

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Todd

Oh, hey! Someone's here...

I should be able to make it on Monday. Do you have any scenarios in mind? Should I bring anything?

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bob

Last Monday, five intrepid sailors came to The Family Game Store at Savage Mill and sailed off into the morning fog. Two burden 4 frigates from Great Britain and three from France, one burden 4 and Two burden 3 frigates, surprised each other as the fog lifted. The cannons roared and the muskets crackled for half a hour before the first two victims slid under the waves; the French twins met Davie Jones together. The ships remaining ships maneuvered for another 45 minutes before one of the English ships ran up the white flag. The final hour saw the duel continued, trading shot for shot, the French taking the better of the two and His Magesty's Frigate ran for home.

All that came enjoyed themselves and most will be back, Monday, June 15th for the next adventure. Anyone who can make it to the mall at Historic Savage Mill in Savage, MD is welcome. See you there at 7 pm.

Bob

Midshipman
    England

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

Sounds like fun was had all Bob.
    Any chance of some piccies and an AAR?

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Popsical View Post
    Sounds like fun was had all Bob.
    Any chance of some piccies and an AAR?
    An AAR is possible, there is one, sort of, on the thread about sailing into the fog.

Hop on a plane and come to the Baltimore-Washington International Airport next Monday and I'll take you to Savage Mill for a game of SoG. The trip may be long, but it would be worth it.

Bob

Last edited by Bos'n; 06-11-2015 at 07:27. Reason: Need a paragraph.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Todd

Next meeting is coming up this Monday, July 6th. Last time we had 4 players, and an interesting Merchant scenario Bos'n's been working on. He should be there again this week, probably with another cool scenario lined up.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bob

You betcha. We're going to introduce the group to Bomb Vessels. See you there.

Bob

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

Okay, guys. You brow beat me enough to join!

As we talked last Monday, I'll bring my set and scenario the first Monday in August. I would like to try my scenario loosely based on the battle of Cape Henry (16 March 1781) with each side secretly picking their fleet (French or British) with the smaller point fleet having the wind advantage.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by MarkG-MD View Post

As we talked last Monday, I'll bring my set and scenario the first Monday in August. I would like to try my scenario loosely based on the battle of Cape Henry (16 March 1781) with each side secretly picking their fleet (French or British) with the smaller point fleet having the wind advantage.

Hmmm Mark, what are you a plottin? This sounds like a bit of skullduggery to my likin'. Think hard before startin' trouble at the Family Game Store at Savage Mill in Savage, MD!
    Bob

Rules are rough approximations of what you think I might do!

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Todd

Quote Originally Posted by MarkG-MD View Post

Gosh, that's in like 4 days... I believe I'll be able to make it/ Let me know if you need anything. Welcome!

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Todd

And another game on Monday! I won't be able to make it, but I believe Bos'n has a scenario planned...

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bob

And another game on Monday! I won't be able to make it, but I believe Bos'n has a scenario planned...

Yup.
    Bob

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Todd

So, how was the last meeting? Are we having a meeting this Monday, with Labor Day and all? Starting at 6:00, or 7:00?

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Todd

O.k. well according to the store, I don't think Steve will be there, so if no one posts here by tomorrow afternoon, I'm going to assume we won't have attendance due to the holiday.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Todd

So, apparently this is still going on, but the store just sent out a notification it has moved to 1st & 3rd Tuesdays. Thought I'd post an update in case anyone stumbles across this. Doesn't make it particularly likely that I'll be able to pick this back up in the near future, though...

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bob

Default You're coming back?

So, apparently this is still going on, but the store just sent out a notification it has moved to 1st & 3rd Tuesdays. Thought I'd post an update in case anyone stumbles across this. Doesn't make it particularly likely that I'll be able to pick this back up in the near future, though...
    Todd,

If you are wanting to rejoin the group, I think we can accomidate your schedule. The Monday time slot is out, but I think the group would meet almost any other day to get you back.

Let me know ANYTHING I can do to help.
    Bob

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Todd

Well, this forum was never very active, but for the record, The Family Game Store is shutting their doors at the end of the month, so this location will no longer be a going concern. I'm probably going to see if Gritty Goblin is interested in hosting such games, but don't know if any of the Sails regulars would be interested in relocating there or someplace else.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Sorry to hear that another venue is to close Todd.
    I just hope a few of your friends see this notice and get in touch.
    Hope you have luck with gritty Goblin.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bob

Well, this forum was never very active, but for the record, The Family Game Store is shutting their doors at the end of the month, so this location will no longer be a going concern. I'm probably going to see if Gritty Goblin is interested in hosting such games, but don't know if any of the Sails regulars would be interested in relocating there or someplace else.
    Todd, I am in the process of check on this with Gritty Goblin. I’ll be speaking with the management on Tuesday when they get back from convention. I’ll use this form to let you know what happens for both Wings and Sails.

Bob.
    Bob

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Todd

On the pretense that someone might see this thread, I figure I'll mention that We are playing at Gritty Goblin Games, third Thursdays, meaning the 20th this month. Maybe we should start a new thread for the new store?

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Where in Maryland is this? I'm in the northeast corner.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

On the pretense that someone might see this thread, I figure I'll mention that We are playing at Gritty Goblin Games, third Thursdays, meaning the 20th this month. Maybe we should start a new thread for the new store?
    I saw it Todd!
    If you wish to start a new thread do so by all means.
    Would you like a dedicated space for all games clubs throughout the world or just one for your particular use?
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Todd

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    Where in Maryland is this? I'm in the northeast corner.
    We're at Gritty Goblin Games in Maple Lawn, off of 29 between Baltimre & D.C. My brother actually lives up in Northeast, but I don't know that he's got the free time for a gaming night. If you were trying to set something up up there I could fordward the info to him though.

I don't think we need anything new set up for our games; a thread in the US wing/fleet works fine over at the Wings forum; this one just never seemed to register the ame interest. but thanks for the offer, Bligh.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Todd

Reminder; game tomorrow.

Bligh, one thing you could do to increase forum visibility is make the US Fleet (or any fleet) posts visible on the "New Posts" page without having to be logged in.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good idea Todd.
    As Keith has the overall control of the placement of the posts and visibility or not, why not mention it to him in a PM when he returns from vacation?
    Rob.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

This is Jim. Can't make the 7/19 game. Need to be over in DE again (hopefully for last time, so should be better able to make future games).

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Welcome to the Anchorage Jim, and good to see that you have finally docked after a couple of years ploughing the seven seas. Do pop along to the Wardroom and have a chat and a pint with the rest of the crew sometime.
    May you sail with a fair wind and a willing enemy.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Todd

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Escapee View Post
    This is Jim. Can't make the 7/19 game. Need to be over in DE again (hopefully for last time, so should be better able to make future games).
    Thanks for letting us know! You'll be missed, but Bob and I intend to be there with a scenario ready.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Todd

I will be unable to attend this Thursday's game.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I will be unable to attend this Thursday's game.
    Thanks for the reminder. I think John and I may be the only ones this week. I've planned a small game involving the Constitution's last battle, since John was asking about historical scenarios and he's a War of 1812 buff.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Have a good one.
    Don't forget some photos for us all Jim. We don't see the Conni in action nearly enough.
    Rob.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    James

Hi all! Is there still a game at the Gritty Goblin this Thursday?

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by JimBlkHwk View Post
    Hi all! Is there still a game at the Gritty Goblin this Thursday?
    "Yes. At least a couple of us plan to be there at 6 PM and I have a scenario that's scalable for 2 to 6 players. We won't have 6 players, so newcomers are more than welcome."