Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Photo Etched Brass Ratlines

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Jake

Definitely count me in for a dozen ships' worth...great work!

For demo game purposes, I want to have ships in various stages of pimping, ranging from factory stock to tricked out with painting enhancements, ratlines and maybe even rigging. I figure it will be a cool way to show the players what they are purchasing and then also show them what fun they can have customizing.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Keith, with Ares announcement concerning Wave 2 ships will they provide you with production models soon enough so you can start planning the custom ratlines for all these new sculpts? The 1st rates look like they'll be quite large on the bases.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

I'm trying to get production samples ahead of time, but they only get one or two of each sculpt. So often times there is not any spares to send my way :(
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    I just didn't want to be seen as the, "Thread Pirate Roberts" and get too far off topic.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    T

New here...... but I am assuming the ratlines are not yet available?

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by VonTed View Post
    New here...... but I am assuming the ratlines are not yet available?
    Welcome T. Ratlines not yet available. Maybe March is what Keith has reported recently?

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    T

What about the pint glasses?!!!!

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

I can add the pint glasses to the AA site at anytime, but I was looking to see if I could reasonably add some artwork of a ship to the other side like I do the Aerodrome glasses... it's turning out not to be such an easy or quick thing :(
    I just didn't want to be seen as the, "Thread Pirate Roberts" and get too far off topic.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Terrance

I am eagerly looking forward to the brass ratlines, but am not clear on how they will be sold. Will they be on the Anchorage Store or will they be special orders through Royal Hajj?

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

I am the Anchorage Store

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    James

I'm in for enough to do the starter set and depending on how the modelling goes more afterwards.

Thanks for your hard work... Now, please sir. TAKE MY MONEY! :)

J--

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by jsalyers View Post
    Now, please sir. TAKE MY MONEY! :)

I will as soon as I can! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by jsalyers View Post
    Now, please sir. TAKE MY MONEY! :)J--
    I'd be happy to hold your money until Keith is ready for it. Just PM your bank account # and password and I'll take care of all those pesky little details.
    Last edited by Gunner; 02-20-2014 at 00:48.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Ed, I'm starting to think by some of your recent posts that you should be flying the Jolly Roger as you avatar these days. lol

Quote Originally Posted by The Royal Hajj View Post
    Ed, I'm starting to think by some of your recent posts that you should be flying the Jolly Roger as you avatar these days. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    I'd be happy to hold your money until Keith is ready for it. Just PM your bank account # and & password and I'll take care of all those pesky little details.
    Or a prince of the Nigerian royal family!

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

The only royalty around here is me! lol

<-----

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

The only difference between a Pirate and Regular navy is how many layers of bureaucracy are above one. >;)

The only royalty around here is me! lol
    And the only difference between a Pirate and a Royal is... ah, who are we kidding, there ain't none, never has been, never will be.

Like the man sang:

>;)

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Keeping an eye here, as I'm also interested in these ratline sets.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Tim

Just thought I would mention that I have used screen for ratlines on my SOL for years. It holds up pretty well. I also experimented with sand paper - yup - you heard right. There are sheets of sand paper that have square holes in them. Cut and fit, they look alright, but they add a lot of stability to the metal masts!

Ordinary Seaman
    Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Ann

Keith, count me in for a KS captain's set worth of your ss ratlines. Thanks!

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Fen

I'm also interested in several sets.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

The prototypes should be mailed out to me in the next day or so.

The prototypes should be mailed out to me in the next day or so.
    Is there a way these could be ordered and shipped in conjunction with the replacement combat rulers?

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Rules you received via the KS will becoming from Ares directly. Any rulers that were ordered off the AA site will be sent by me, and could be added to these orders if you so choose.

Landsman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Charles

Ahoi your Lordship Sir,

those Ratlines look like a 'must' where do I sign up to get my hands on those?

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by prospero96 View Post
    Ahoi your Lordship Sir,

those Ratlines look like a 'must' where do I sign up to get my hands on those?
    They will be listed on the AA site as pre-orders in the next couple of weeks. Just keep a weather eye on this thread for the announcement.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Welcome, Charles.

Stop by the Welcome Aboard forum and introduce yourself. Folks will be glad to meet you - http://sailsofglory.org/forumdisplay...Welcome-Aboard

As for ratlines, look at the Anchorage Store up top.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Michael

The ratlines are an excellent idea and I will try my hand at affixing them properly. However I wish there was an Anchorage list of model builders who would be willing to take commissions in the same ways as you find with 28mm figures for example.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Sneak peak of a rough test fit of the actual brass ratlines...

And if anyone is counting, that is 34 vertical "rungs" on the lower main mast of one of the 74s (SGN102x).

WOW, let me know when I can place an order for a wave 1, KS & starter set.
    Last edited by Gunner; 02-19-2014 at 20:17.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Alyssa

BRILLIANT. Take my money already!

They look excellent Keith and nice to see the climbing lines have a slight sag to them making them look more realistic.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Very nice looking Kieth, I wiil definitely be picking up a few sets

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Those look very ship shape!! "I have to get me a whole bunch of these"!!!!

Are you still on track for late March?

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

I'll be test fitting the four ships over the weekend hopefully (the WGF Series 7 planes are schedule to land at my place today, so will have to get those shipped out first). At first glance and initial testing of two of the ratlines on SGN102A, things are looking good. As long as everything checks out on the other ships, I'll be putting these up for pre-order on the site Sunday or Monday night. I'll wait about a week to get a gauge on how many are selling and then place the production order.

The company quoted me about a month to do the production run, but the samples took nearly twice as long to get to me... so I'm not optimistic about a late March street date. I'd say more likely it will be late April.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Well done, Keith.

They look great.

One idea I have is to use them for one version of the ship, with the flip-side not having them. It would make identification on the table easy when using both cards and same paint scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by Berthier View Post
    They look excellent Keith and nice to see the climbing lines have a slight sag to them making them look more realistic.
    I agree they look excellent!! I'll be ordering a bunch. BTW - The line that you put your foot on is the "ratline", the vertical lines are the "shrouds". When you climb you use the shrouds for your hands as they are more secure than the ratlines (See first Hornblower episode), also you don't want the guy above to step on your hand!

Eric

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Keith, these look great!! It looks like you tried some brush on black? How do they paint up and hold color? Besides a huge SoG order you can expect from me I'll be testing these on some of the Langton and GHQ minis as well. The detail, regardless of scale, is awesome!

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    I agree they look excellent!! I'll be ordering a bunch. BTW - The line that you put your foot on is the "ratline", the vertical lines are the "shrouds". When you climb you use the shrouds for your hands as they are more secure than the ratlines (See first Hornblower episode), also you don't want the guy above to step on your hand!

Eric
    Thanks for setting me straight on the terms... I'm really just a landlubber (How did I get in charge of this ship the Anchorage anyways???)

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Keith, these look great!! It looks like you tried some brush on black? How do they paint up and hold color? Besides a huge SoG order you can expect from me I'll be testing these on some of the Langton and GHQ minis as well. The detail, regardless of scale, is awesome!
    I used an old permanent marker (Sharpie) on one of the two I test fitted last night. The ink went on okay, but I think if it was a newer or "wetter" marker, it would have worked better. Two coats would help a lot as well. I think you will have to be careful hand brushing these... the opening between the ratlines are super fine and will clog easily if you don't thin your paint enough. I'm just going to be test fitting them in the raw bass from here on out. When I go to actually do up my ships, I'll airbrush them black.

These come with a vacuumed sealed clear sheet on both sides, so they are protected nicely until you are ready to use them. They almost fell like they are laminated.

I was extremely impressed with the fine detail of these. They turned out way better than I imagined could be possible. I'm almost concerned that they will make any rigging lines I add look way over scale.

On brass I swish it in warm water with a few drops of dishwashing liquid. The spray it with Rust-Oleum. Then Dull-coat.

When finished it looks like the brass was the brown or black color that I sprayed it with.The paint lays very flat without any high spots.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I think you will have to be careful hand brushing these... the opening between the ratlines are super fine and will clog easily if you don't thin your paint enough. I'm just going to be test fitting them in the raw bass from here on out. When I go to actually do up my ships, I'll airbrush them black.
    When I saw these on the ship that was my first thought (clogging happens on the Langton's for sure). My method would normally be similar to Ed's, but in Winter I have no spray painting capability and even air brushing in the basement can be an issue. Looks like I'll be doing a lot of outdoor work come Spring. So, in that sense the delay on manufacturing is going to work to my advantage. Thanks for the quick reply.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Alyssa

so looking forward to getting my grubby little mitts on these =D

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Ted

I think you will have to be careful hand brushing these... the opening between the ratlines are super fine and will clog easily if you don't thin your paint enough. I'm just going to be test fitting them in the raw bass from here on out. When I go to actually do up my ships, I'll airbrush them black.
    I've never tried it, but I know products like "blacken-it" are made specifically for blackening brass model parts without obscuring detail.
    http://www.micromark.com/blacken-it-4-fl-oz,7267.html

Does anybody have experience with this? and would it be a good choice for these shrouds/ratlines?

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewinds Ted View Post
    I've never tried it, but I know products like "blacken-it" are made specifically for blackening brass model parts without obscuring detail.
    http://www.micromark.com/blacken-it-4-fl-oz,7267.html

Does anybody have experience with this? and would it be a good choice for these shrouds/ratlines?
    I use a product called Birchwood Casey's Brass Black which I think uses the same chemicals as Blacken-it, to identify .45 LC brass after I have enlarged the primer pockets to shoot blanks. The black wears off a little after a few firings (which you won't have to worry about) but does not look as good (to me) as spray paint.
    But it's much easier to use, just dip a few times and rinse.

Midshipman
    Poland

Log Entries
    Name
    Andrzej

Looking at post #130 I almost fainted. Those are perfect!

They look so good that I feel like I'm waiting for my SGN ships again.
    Are they here yet? Are they here yet?

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

I guess I'm definitely down for two sets each for wave one and two ships one way or another!!

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Hi All,
    As you all know I'm no fan of the ships, but I must say the rat-lines look so good. Keith, they look so good. Well done, I just love them.
    Be safe
    Rory