Thread: What's on your workbench for August?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Default What's on your workbench for August?

With my new worktable up and running I can now start work on the layout for my next Island fortress.
    This one has a couple of outlying smaller forts.

Name:  IMG_8075.jpg
Views: 2152
Size:  114.4 KB

Here I am just sketching in the works for the main Fort.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

I should have a couple schooners and more gunboats coming in the mail (with pivot guns!), but right now I'm working on a Hessian infantry regiment for Black Powder. Here's one of the jägers (riflemen).

Name:  IMG_1006.jpg
Views: 1686
Size:  113.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1008.jpg
Views: 1809
Size:  114.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1009.jpg
Views: 1732
Size:  101.7 KB

Name:  IMG_1010.jpg
Views: 1805
Size:  109.1 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

One of my Favourite units along with Ferguson's Rifles.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  IMG_8076.jpg
Views: 1566
Size:  141.9 KB

Now using scaled up original plans of the Island to finish off the rest of the coast.
    Just waiting for some more foam and an order from Langton's to arrive before I can start cutting out the Island outline.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  IMG_8078.jpg
Views: 1641
Size:  136.2 KB
    The whole Island complex noe positioned and marked out ready for cutting out the profile tomorrow.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The next process was to rough out the shape of the fort and place the walls roughly in place.

Name:  IMG_8116.jpg
Views: 1711
Size:  143.3 KB

Followed by gluing them down with No Nails.
    Name:  IMG_8114.jpg
Views: 1645
Size:  161.3 KB
    Note the buildings were not glued at this stage.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  IMG_8117.jpg
Views: 1530
Size:  142.6 KB

I have now added the roughed out foreshore outer ring of the ditch, and ravelins to the fort.

Name:  IMG_8118.jpg
Views: 1567
Size:  168.6 KB

Having painted a thin coat of PVA onto the Fort to seal and strengthen it I left it overnight to dry.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

During the day I have sculpted the outer defences and PVA glued the surface.

Name:  IMG_8119.jpg
Views: 1734
Size:  120.3 KB

Now ready to start work on the town section.

This promises, I follow the works with interest, Rob

I continue to build my Spanish port. I have finished painting all the buildings and adding the vegetation.

Now I have painted and textured the sea, I have added the piers and I am starting with the ships that will set the harbor.

Seeing photos online of harbours of the eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries I found some very interesting images. It is a ship maintenance operation called careening.

Name:  800px-An_Old_Whaler_Hove_Down_For_Repairs,_Near_New_Bedford.jpg
Views: 24570
Size:  241.1 KB

Name:  800px-Atlas_pittoresque_pl_187.jpg
Views: 1718
Size:  115.5 KB

Name:  careening, 2.jpg
Views: 2051
Size:  125.0 KB

It occurred to me to represent this operation partially in my port. And I say partially because I am not going to represent it 100%, the careening put the boat at 90 degrees and I have only heel it over a bit. For this purpose, I had to model the bottom of the ship.

Name:  20190821_172410.jpg
Views: 1529
Size:  121.0 KB

Name:  20190821_172429.jpg
Views: 1491
Size:  103.0 KB

The rest of the rigging process is the usual one, being the final result as shown in the following photos.

Name:  20190822_184854.jpg
Views: 1491
Size:  147.6 KB

Name:  20190822_185001.jpg
Views: 1682
Size:  119.0 KB

Name:  20190822_185104.jpg
Views: 1525
Size:  150.1 KB

Name:  20190822_185219.jpg
Views: 1490
Size:  162.1 KB

Name:  20190822_185250.jpg
Views: 1641
Size:  132.9 KB

And finally, a global photo of how the port is looking.

I hope you like it

Name:  20190822_185432.jpg
Views: 1634
Size:  146.7 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I think it is a brilliant idea to add to your already wonderful work.
    I am now thinking how I can build the careening process into one of my scenarios.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here is the last bit of work before I go on leave.
    Undercoating the fort and foreshore.

Name:  IMG_8120.jpg
Views: 1475
Size:  134.5 KB
    Rob.

Rob, what brand are the walls and towers you are using? Is it from Brigade Models? What quality do they have? I would like to make a small medieval town one day.

Two great projects, Rob & Julian.

Thank you Sven

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Very kind Sven.

Julián, your surmise was quite correct. They will be indeed mostly Brigade, and a smattering from Langton for the main Fort. Quality wise the new resin buildings are better than the metal ones which i usually reserve for the distance.
    Rob.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Nice builds, both of you.

Not Sails, but on my workbench, this is a Mixmaster build--most of it's my girlfriend's, but until Umbrella Corp. (she's a huge Resident Evil fan) pops out another run of receivers I'm using the one meant for my M4 to hold it together. Stock's scheduled to arrive tomorrow.

Other than the "vanity" lower, the lack of scope, 1/3" longer barrel and a semiauto-only trigger pack, it's meant to clone a Canadian Forces standard-issue C8A3 carbine. The final goal is something like this one, from the collection of former Delta trooper and arms historian Larry Vickers (though mine's closer to current issue, with sling mounts more like current Canadian issue):

One of my neighbors has all the gear to turn that black plastic green, as soon as we decide exactly what shades of Cerakote to use.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Well for something that is not a nautical item I can appreciate class when I see it in any artifact and that certainly is a fine looking piece of work DB.
    Thanks for sharing it with us all.
    Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Well for something that is not a nautical item I can appreciate class when I see it in any artifact and that certainly is a fine looking piece of work DB.
    Thanks for sharing it with us all.
    Rob.
    I'd bet they're issued for shipboard use on boarding or landing actions, and that's nautical enough for me. Thanks, my friend, that's high praise--hopefully someday, if you find your way here to the Northwet where the moss grows between people's ears in addition to on the trees, we can check you out on the toybox. :) Truth be told, the top half is almost straight-from-the-box--BCM top halves alone sell for as much as some companies' complete rifles because of having one of the highest parts-rejection rates in the industry, all I did was install the handguards/foregrip, rear sight and replacement front sight post. (Which is actually better than milspec--US military spec is a square post .072" across, Canadian is a round one .052" in diameter, and since I couldn't get the latter I have a .040" match-grade round post installed.)

Someday if the damnable tremors settle down, I hope to do the kind of scenery that you and Julian do, but in the meantime I'm stuck working with hammers and screwdrivers.

EDIT: Temporary stock's on, while it waits for the final to get back from refinishing.

As you yourself can attest from experience with the lovely Miss Eileen, Rob, the things we do for the ones we intend to grow old with... :)
    Last edited by Diamondback; 08-29-2019 at 18:56.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here is the latest progress on my Island fortress.

Name:  IMG_8153.jpg
Views: 1688
Size:  185.6 KB

Fort gets its first top coat.

Name:  IMG_8154.jpg
Views: 1280
Size:  156.6 KB
    Whilst that is drying, I assemble and glue down the town walls.

Rob.

This looks very good

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Looking very good indeed. If trans-Atlantic shipping weren't so expensive and such a bloody tiresome nuisance, I might ask about having some made for various historical sites and scenarios...

Starting to pencil out a couple tournament scenarios too, one loosely based on something from my PC-gamer days: "World Domination Tour"--you build the best squadron you can for a given point limit and set of class restrictions all under the same flag (what in Wizkids Pirates used to be called "Nation Pure"), then you must defeat a separate squadron built under identical rules from every nation in the game, including another of your own flag. Thinking about having "Frigate" (no two-deckers at all or maybe only 4/5-raters, undecided), "SOL" (anything two-decker and under) and "Team" (players have separate squadrons but working as a team, only one three-decker allowed for each two team members) divisions. The other is a "One Ship Challenge"--you get one ship to face all comers, with score bonuses and penalties based on the rate difference between your ship and your opponent's. Start with an Unrated, then when you score 10x your ship's point value in kills you move up to 6th Rate and so on--each ship you sink higher rated than your own gets a bonus multiplier of (x+1), where "X" is the difference between their rate and yours, and conversely smaller prey get a reducing multiplier of 1/(x+1). Still need to work out a scoring mechanism for "disengagement," since WDT and OSC are meant to be endurance events with persistent damage/losses and limited repair/reinforcements.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Sounds like a much more sophisticated version of our Solo game DB, but with more restrictions on ship size and slightly different objectives to get you started off, plus of course that it is not solo but includes real opponents.
    I will follow its development with interest.
    Re terrain, I may not be doing many more elements for two reasons. One is that even in my new room the drawers for the landscapes are almost full already, and two I have developed a nasal allergy to the dust either from the foam or the resin. Even with dust extraction and a face mask with filters I am getting symptoms, to such an extent that I carved all the foam with a Stanley knife on this job. Even so I have watery eyes and a sore nose this morning.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here is the progress I made last evening.

Name:  IMG_8155.jpg
Views: 1476
Size:  113.6 KB

City walls masked up ready for spraying with undercoat, to allow drying overnight.

Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

One other thing re OSC: Get sunk and you start over from Unrated all over again. Whoever posts the highest score start-to-sink wins.

ETA: Your respiratory woes make me wish *I* could come over there and be your "replacement pair of hands" for a bit. :(
    Last edited by Diamondback; 09-01-2019 at 01:04.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Very kind DB. Maybe one day we will meet up somewhere. It is astounding to me just how many of the Sails/Wings people I have met over the years. The problems with my breathing started when I had a touch of Pneumonia in my early thirties. Now whenever I get Rhinitis from any source it gives me a chest infection if I am not very careful. I just put it all down to old age and poverty.
    Rob.

On Tuesday we‘ll inspect the original, Rob.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Here is the progress I made last evening.

Name:  IMG_8155.jpg
Views: 1476
Size:  113.6 KB

City walls masked up ready for spraying with undercoat, to allow drying overnight.

Rob.
    Thats all looking rather lovely :)

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Comte de Brueys View Post
    On Tuesday we‘ll inspect the original, Rob.
    Please take lashings of photographs Sven.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here is today's progress.

Town walls nearing completion.
    Name:  IMG_8157.jpg
Views: 1466
Size:  160.2 KB

And painting the fort buildings.

Name:  IMG_8156.jpg
Views: 1712
Size:  172.5 KB

Rob.

Rob, now I'm getting a tremendous desire to make an island hahaha thank you

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here is this morning's work Julián.

Name:  IMG_8159.jpg
Views: 1271
Size:  196.5 KB

All glued to base and flocking underway.

Name:  IMG_8160.jpg
Views: 1607
Size:  155.0 KB
    Rob.

Compliments Rob! I really like your work at this piece of modeling.

Beautiful, simply beautiful...

Me today, I finished the ships that will form part of spanish harbour.

Name:  20190902_182146.jpg
Views: 1291
Size:  171.9 KB

Name:  20190902_182240.jpg
Views: 1482
Size:  137.7 KB

Name:  20190902_182323.jpg
Views: 1639
Size:  134.2 KB

Name:  20190902_182330.jpg
Views: 1468
Size:  141.4 KB

Name:  20190902_182348.jpg
Views: 1547
Size:  129.5 KB

Name:  20190902_182439.jpg
Views: 1513
Size:  162.1 KB

Name:  20190902_182458.jpg
Views: 1289
Size:  134.2 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I can now return the compliment Julián.
    Magnificent as usual, I especially like the fact that you have included the Hoys.
    I have one in my dockyard hoisting a mast section with a pair of sheer legs. Must get some Water Hoys too.

Rob.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Julian your ships look gorgeous and your harbour is pretty good as well.

Captain Bligh the nasal allergy sounds pretty bad for a styrene modeller, hope it doesn't impede your progress too much, the fortification is looking great.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here is the work completed today shipmates.

Name:  IMG_8161.jpg
Views: 1542
Size:  246.8 KB
    Fort nearly completed.

Name:  IMG_8163.jpg
Views: 1513
Size:  173.2 KB

Name:  IMG_8164.jpg
Views: 1371
Size:  164.7 KB

Added rocky foreshore, and finished the town.

Tomorrow I will seal this part and then fill the water defenses.

Then it is on to the rest of the Island.
    Rob.

As expected... very very nice. Could you take a picture with a sea mat? to see the contrast between the piece of modeling and the sea.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Julian your ships look gorgeous and your harbour is pretty good as well.

Captain Bligh the nasal allergy sounds pretty bad for a styrene modeller, hope it doesn't impede your progress too much, the fortification is looking great.
    Thank you John!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I will do that as soon as I get a bit of space on my games table Julián.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here you are Julián. Just a bit of shading and distressing to do now.

Name:  IMG_8167.jpg
Views: 1468
Size:  163.4 KB

Name:  IMG_8168.jpg
Views: 1466
Size:  162.5 KB

Name:  IMG_8170.jpg
Views: 1409
Size:  172.4 KB

Name:  IMG_8171.jpg
Views: 1517
Size:  135.3 KB

Name:  IMG_8176.jpg
Views: 1297
Size:  165.8 KB

Name:  IMG_8172.jpg
Views: 1350
Size:  160.2 KB

Name:  IMG_8178.jpg
Views: 1498
Size:  194.7 KB

Name:  IMG_8173.jpg
Views: 1557
Size:  192.7 KB

Rob.

Now everything makes more sense. I like the effect you have done to the stone.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Julián.

Rob.