Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: *What's on your workbench for May?

Quote Originally Posted by Dubourdieu View Post
    Vol, your pictures are just breathtaking. Thank you for sharing them. The combination "soft" white / black is really great ; without mentioning your rigging work (nice thread colour too instead of the given black one). It makes the ships look much more realistic. So (just to discourage myself) how many hours did you spend to finish her ?
    Hi, thank you Roméo. It is hard to say how many hours it took me. Due to other circumstances, I have only been able to spend an average of 30 minutes an evening in the shipyard for the past month. Some days none at all. Other days only 10 to 15 minutes. I received the squadron packs on April 10, but did not begin work on the frigate until the end of April. So figuring three weeks at 30 min a day would be around 10.5 hours.
    I feel this could be cut down by 25% if I could dedicate larger uninterupted blocks of time at it.

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

Vol I admire your job with painting , rat lines and flags. This looks amazing job . It will take to me more than double time to have that detail . My patiente is limited .
    I still like more the 1/1000 models , larger battles , and less space needed
    Rob no problem , I wish I can view your tower and project soon .

I am painting my brigade models fort , and another order on the way :)

Thank you Ferrante. That is why I prefer the 1/1200 scale for gaming....even larger battles, even less space
    These 1/700 ships are fun to build and just pretty!

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Vol your ship does look amazing and I like the fact its it's not on a base so that when you photographed it with the backdrop in place it looks so realistic.
    A small work of art, I showed it to my wife and she said "where was the photo taken, Gibraltar" and then I explained it was a model with a photo behind, it's that good.

Rob I missed the start of your port, looking forward to seeing how you progress with it.

Ferrante that's a clever idea to show the battle damage on the tower, it does look good.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Well it took Brigade only four days longer to ship, and this little lot arrived today right in the middle of me painting the doors on the landing. However, that means that tomorrow I can start positioning my fortifications to see how they look best.

Rob.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Vol your ship does look amazing and I like the fact its it's not on a base so that when you photographed it with the backdrop in place it looks so realistic.
    A small work of art, I showed it to my wife and she said "where was the photo taken, Gibraltar" and then I explained it was a model with a photo behind, it's that good.

Rob I missed the start of your port, looking forward to seeing how you progress with it.

Ferrante that's a clever idea to show the battle damage on the tower, it does look good.
    Wow thanks John! That must be the nicest compliment I have ever heard.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Morning John.
    You can catch the start of my port if you look at posts 27 and 33. Today I hope to refine some of my ideas by juxtaposing the new wall and tower sections with those I already had in stock, and then once that is settled send in another subsidiary order for any other items I think I need to enhance the main idea.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 05-20-2020 at 13:37.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Able Seaman
    France

Log Entries
    Name
    Roméo

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Hi, thank you Roméo. It is hard to say how many hours it took me. Due to other circumstances, I have only been able to spend an average of 30 minutes an evening in the shipyard for the past month. Some days none at all. Other days only 10 to 15 minutes. I received the squadron packs on April 10, but did not begin work on the frigate until the end of April. So figuring three weeks at 30 min a day would be around 10.5 hours.
    I feel this could be cut down by 25% if I could dedicate larger uninterupted blocks of time at it.
    I understand. Within 10 hours 1/2 that's very good results you get. I'm impressed. Good job again, mate !
    "Les passions sont les vents qui enflent les voiles du navire ; elles le submergent quelquefois, mais sans elles il ne pourrait voguer."
    "Passions are the winds that fill the sails of a ship ; they sometimes overwhelm her, but she could not sail without them."- Voltaire

Able Seaman
    France

Log Entries
    Name
    Roméo

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Well it took Brigade only four days longer to ship, and this little lot arrived today right in the middle of me painting the doors on the landing. However, that means that tomorrow I can start positioning my fortifications to see how they look best.

Rob.
    It looks pretty inspiring too, Rob. I cannot get rid of my smile when I imagine each one of us trying all the possible positions ever of items to make scenery as much realistic as possible like kids would've done just to play.
    You're pretty lucky to have only "four days longer to ship". I ordered some materials one month ago but resupplying is very slow because of Covid-19 : nearly everything comes from UK by the way. I'm stuck and can't do anything for the moment. That's why all your pictures are a very good medicine to my misfortune !
    "Les passions sont les vents qui enflent les voiles du navire ; elles le submergent quelquefois, mais sans elles il ne pourrait voguer."
    "Passions are the winds that fill the sails of a ship ; they sometimes overwhelm her, but she could not sail without them."- Voltaire

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Well then here is today's dose from Dr.Rob.

Tomorrow I start layering the Rocky outcrop.

Rob.

Morning Vol.
    You can catch the start of my port if you look at posts 27 and 33. Today I hope to refine some of my ideas by juxtaposing the new wall and tower sections with those I already had in stock, and then once that is settled send in another subsidiary order for any other items I think I need to enhance the main idea.
    Rob.
    I think that was Vagabond asking Rob

I do have a quick question though. Do you refer back to the initial layout photos for placement after you have built up the hill top terrain? I know in the past I have had to change positions due to the way the terrain turned out. I never used photos. I think I will going forward.
    Last edited by Volunteer; 05-20-2020 at 10:18.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Hi Vol.
    Firstly thanks for spotting my mistake.
    In answer to your question, if it is an historic fort like the ones I did for Basque Roads I try to be as accurate as the information I can glean allows. Modern photos often have a variety of modifications down the years and I try to define the most likely layout from my knowledge of the period and then tailor the bits of wall and bastions etc to fit. This often incurs a lot of cut and shunt, even in some cases totally new fabrications made from scratch. If copies of maps around the period are available this helps a lot. With The Isle De Rey I had a scaled down map of the whole Island and forts.
    However, in this current case I simply picked a fort of which I liked the style, and converted it into a generic North African town and port which could look like just about anywhere. So, just like yourself, in the main it will be a case of best fit serves. As far as I can see so far, I only have two scratch built bits to do. The wall and stairs which will climb the cliff to the Citadel, and the flight of steps from it down to the town gate. As you will see tomorrow I have already modified that picture I posted earlier today.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

It looks pretty inspiring too, Rob. I cannot get rid of my smile when I imagine each one of us trying all the possible positions ever of items to make scenery as much realistic as possible like kids would've done just to play.
    You're pretty lucky to have only "four days longer to ship". I ordered some materials one month ago but resupplying is very slow because of Covid-19 : nearly everything comes from UK by the way. I'm stuck and can't do anything for the moment. That's why all your pictures are a very good medicine to my misfortune !
    Thanks Romeo,
    I hope that the end product lives up to your expectations.
    Do you think it would be any swifter if I got your order sent to me and then forwarded it on to you. I can justify going to the Post Office once a week, even in the lockdown situation, and things here are easing up a bit now, or is the blockage with Customs at your end?
    If I can help let me know.
    Rob.

Nice little "harbor fortification", Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Sven.
    Still in the developmental stage as yet.
    I am hoping to get som height on it tomorrow.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

I like your prospective layout, Rob. I can see where the different generations of builders had different ideas on defence.

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

Rob this is getting bigger and better . Nice forms , and matchs with the sea Matt .

I think is going to be a challenge the fight between the forts and some ships . Some historical battles could be remembered

While I have been patiently waiting for Rob to dazzle my senses with more of his amazing terrain art skills, I have moved on to one of the brigs in the Black Seas US Squadron pack. The modifications so far are:
    1) Cut the spars away from the masts and dress the masts.
    2) Cut the two pieces of the main course furled sail away from the plastic spar.
    3) Cut and dress new spars from 0.32 music wire.
    4) Glue the two pieces of the furled sail to the new main course spar. Fill in the gap with putty and sculpt to match.
    5) cut two gun hatches in a piece of 60# card and glue it to the inside of the taff rail at the stern.
    6) cut two hatch covers and glue them to the out side of the stern, matching the hatch locations inside
    7) Mount a fife rail at the aft base of the main mast to tie off the braces from the foremast spars.
    8) Extend the fighting tops
    9) Make the ratlines with the new jig
    Name:  20200519_213116.jpg
Views: 1470
Size:  149.4 KB
    Name:  20200520_200715.jpg
Views: 836
Size:  112.6 KB
    Name:  20200520_201512.jpg
Views: 828
Size:  116.7 KB
    Name:  20200520_205733.jpg
Views: 903
Size:  130.0 KB
    Name:  20200520_213323.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  107.8 KB
    Name:  20200520_213339.jpg
Views: 733
Size:  103.7 KB
    Name:  20200520_213431.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  113.2 KB

That is where I am at so far.
    Last edited by Volunteer; 05-21-2020 at 19:41.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

This is truly masterful Vol. I doubt I would have the patience to carry out all that rigging, but well worth it for a ship of that craftsmanship. The nearest I came to that was stringing the bows for my Wars of the Roses Army, but that was only one string each figure. That is a true work of art reminicent of Julien's ships.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    I like your prospective layout, Rob. I can see where the different generations of builders had different ideas on defence.
    Very kind of you to say so Dobbs. It is nice when someone spots the very thing which I was striving to achieve. That was why I waited for my extra order from Grenadier. Gave me chance to do a bit of pick and mix rather than just complete in one style.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

In the heat of today I managed to rough out the basic shape of the hillside and rocky crag.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I have now sculpted some of the contours of the hill ready for refining the shapes at a later date.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Today I have been busy laying out the Castle and checking to see if the levels look OK, plus ensuring that everything fits snugly before I start cutting away to contours.

Wow! That is going to look so cool!

Got the ratlines on and finished the standard rigging
    Name:  20200522_202155.jpg
Views: 787
Size:  120.0 KB

The next work is the sails. I am going to try wetting them and then shaping with a pencil eraser.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Almost a shame to set the sails and mask all that superb rigging Vol.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here is the progress I managed to get through yesterday afternoon and evening.
    Starting the sculpting of the cliffs.
    Last edited by Bligh; 05-23-2020 at 13:41.

Rob do you use a hot wire/knife or just blades for carving? I have a hot wire foam carver but my basement hobby room has little to no ventilation and the fumes are too much.

Able Seaman
    France

Log Entries
    Name
    Roméo

Thanks Romeo,
    I hope that the end product lives up to your expectations.
    Do you think it would be any swifter if I got your order sent to me and then forwarded it on to you. I can justify going to the Post Office once a week, even in the lockdown situation, and things here are easing up a bit now, or is the blockage with Customs at your end?
    If I can help let me know.
    Rob.
    Truly thank you a lot Rob for your offer. Unfortunately I think it's a matter of supplying between the British company and the French one so I basically have no possibility nor details on the shipping process. I just know that from a general overview, French (small) companies dealing with modelling have currently huge issues with their stocks despite the fact the economical activity started again a week ago. So I think it's just a matter of time with delivering the items then shipping to my place. But thank you again Rob, indeed it would've been faster to directly order to UK companies but I also wanted to help the small shop in my native region that has partnership with the British suppliers and has reduced import fees.
    Last edited by Dubourdieu; 05-23-2020 at 10:01.

Able Seaman
    France

Log Entries
    Name
    Roméo

Rob do you use a hot wire/knife or just blades for carving? I have a hot wire foam carver but my basement hobby room has little to no ventilation and the fumes are too much.
    Both of you guys make a wonderful job. This is really great to follow step by step your works.

I was gonna ask you the same question. I haven't tried that hot wire yet and I was wondering whether you had used it to get such a good result about the cliffs. Anyway I love your different "floors" that give a good perspective (and realistic!) of the fortifications.
    Without mentioning the rigging work. I personally use and glue the acetate pieces because I would be the last one able to reproduce them with real thread and that precision.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Hi Vol.
    I use a combination of Router, craft knife, small needle files and occelating drum sander for almost all my work.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Got on quite well today and finished the shaping, ready to glue on the base and leave overnight to set.

Rob.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Rob that's coming on very nicely, as Dobbs said it's good to see the old with the new style of fortifications, it adds realism and history to a build. It will also go very well with your backdrop to give good overall look to the scenery on your table. I'm looking forward to seeing it painted.

Vol I do like the look of the rigging you're creating, I only have the SoG ships and am not a ship modeller so don't think I will ever get around to this but it sure looks good and must add strength to the masts.
    You may have already said but do you use superglue to glue the ratlines together, soaking all the thread and so create a solid piece?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That is a good tip John.
    I have only ever used watered down PVA to stiffen things in the past, although I did find that adding a bit of super glue to the surface of Plasticine or Milliput when moddeling hardens it off in seconds.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Overnight the glue has hardened off so now I'm ready to stiffed this surface with a coat of watered down PVA.

Should be hardened off by dinner time if I get on with it.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Unfortunately I think it's a matter of supplying between the British company and the French one so I basically have no possibility nor details on the shipping process.
    OK Romeo.
    If I can be of any help in the future just let me know.
    Rob.

Hi Vol.
    I use a combination of Router, craft knife, small needle files and occelating drum sander for almost all my work.
    Rob.
    So no hot knife! I must say you get spectacular results with your methods. I can't even imagine trying to use my big router on something like this.
    Last edited by Volunteer; 05-24-2020 at 12:08.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Rob that's coming on very nicely, as Dobbs said it's good to see the old with the new style of fortifications, it adds realism and history to a build. It will also go very well with your backdrop to give good overall look to the scenery on your table. I'm looking forward to seeing it painted.

Vol I do like the look of the rigging you're creating, I only have the SoG ships and am not a ship modeller so don't think I will ever get around to this but it sure looks good and must add strength to the masts.
    You may have already said but do you use superglue to glue the ratlines together, soaking all the thread and so create a solid piece?
    Thanks John. To answer your question, I use just a touch of super glue to each thread cross junction, careful not to apply too much. I sharpened the end of a paperclip to use as an applicator. This does stiffen them somewhat, enough to easily mount, but not rigid.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

So no hot knife! I must say you get spectacular results with your methods. I can't even imagine trying to use my big router on something like this.
    I saw a model makers Router some years ago in Hobbycraft, and wished I'd bought it ever since.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Got the PVa done by lunchtime ans spent this afternoon and evening fine fitting the battlements.
    Last edited by Bligh; 05-24-2020 at 13:21.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just finished the glueing up.
    Let it dry overnight and then it's off to the workshop for the first spray undercoat.
    Rob.

Last edited by Bligh; 05-24-2020 at 13:43.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Thanks John. To answer your question, I use just a touch of super glue to each thread cross junction, careful not to apply too much. I sharpened the end of a paperclip to use as an applicator. This does stiffen them somewhat, enough to easily mount, but not rigid.
    That's interesting, I would have expected rigid to be better than slightly floppy, thanks for the tip.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Just finished the glueing up.
    Let it dry overnight and then it's off to the workshop for the first spray undercoat.
    Rob.

This is going to look really good

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

Vol very nice Brig , I like the colors. And as always nice rigging job

Rob I am impressed with the foam Modeling , and castle building . This is looking very nice . I like the different kinds of forts . It would be hard to break this fort

I finished the brig tonight
    Name:  20200524_210021.jpg
Views: 705
Size:  157.7 KB
    Name:  20200524_210032.jpg
Views: 1243
Size:  158.0 KB
    Name:  20200524_210042.jpg
Views: 1273
Size:  142.1 KB
    Name:  20200524_210054.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  154.3 KB
    Name:  20200524_210103.jpg
Views: 753
Size:  158.0 KB
    Name:  20200524_210129.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  151.2 KB
    Name:  20200524_210158.jpg
Views: 1392
Size:  150.0 KB
    Name:  20200524_210626.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  161.3 KB
    Name:  20200524_210707.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  189.3 KB
    Name:  20200524_211055.jpg
Views: 834
Size:  161.1 KB
    Name:  20200524_211536.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  140.6 KB
    Heading into the Mediterranean

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrante View Post

Rob I am impressed with the foam Modeling , and castle building . This is looking very nice . I like the different kinds of forts . It would be hard to break this fort
    Thanks again Ferrante.
    I like defence in depth. Started by the Norman influence, developed by the Crusaders, and the Moors, with a bit of Spanish or Vauban influence thrown in. If it has any weakness it would be the need for water to be collected in cisterns, and the extensive garrison it would need to man all those walls. Still it works for Malta so why not.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good to see them Vol. I can use a bit of help in the Med against those pesky Algerines.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Filled in a few gaps this morning and now have it primed ready for a spray can of sand colour undercoat. I have a few days to kill until that arrives from Amazon, so will now start work on planning the layout of the town.
    Rob.

Good to see them Vol. I can use a bit of help in the Med against those pesky Algerines.
    Rob.
    They need to get there before they complete those new fortifications!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Best thing to do is ambush the paint convoy then Vol.
    Just looked at your pictures again. They would be good enough to enlarge and put up on the wall.
    Bligh.