Thread: Question/Idea for ships run aground

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Nick

Question Question/Idea for ships run aground

Hello all,

I am finding that I am a remarkably inept ship pilot. I have run aground of the shoals and reefs far more times than I care to admit. I will say that I use the advanced rules with planning the next turn's move in the current turn, but, really, there is no excuse for my poor seamanship.

So in lieu of becoming a better navigator, are there any "rules of the house" to re-launch or re-float a grounded ship using another vessel as tug or to use the ship's boats to pull it back into deeper waters? I recognize I would need to purchase or scratch build some jolly boat minis but that seems a more accessible option than learning to avoid the blasted shallows! Once I figure this out, I need to set up a mission to recapture the grounded HMS Victory. Letting her founder in range of the French coastal battery is simply NOT an option...

Any thoughts or direction to an already existent thread would be greatly appreciated.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I use ships boats to carry an anchor out and then winch her off. One turn to lower boat one turn to row out a musket range, one turn to drop anchor, and then one turn to winch ship out to the anchor point. If not enough sea room, repeat until there is. Takes a while, but then it serves you right for going aground! Much less hassle than a Court Martial.
    Bligh.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I have designed a few command counters for using a lowering/raising a rowing boat, using a rowing boat, dropping an anchor and using a capstan to winch the ship. What do you think about using them?

Name:  Lowerboatcounter.jpg
Views: 921
Size:  58.4 KBName:  RowingBoatCounter.jpg
Views: 1493
Size:  58.1 KBName:  AnchorCounter.jpg
Views: 934
Size:  55.0 KBName:  Capstancounter.jpg
Views: 910
Size:  65.3 KB
    Last edited by Naharaht; 10-03-2018 at 10:36.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Nick

David, these are fantastic! I was going to give something like this a go, but you beat me to it. Nicely DONE!!!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Superbly useful Dave.

Just what was needed.

Will you pop 'em into your Photo album so that we can get a first class copy.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I have put them in my photo album called Avatars.

Nice addition to the game, David!

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    I use ships boats to carry an anchor out and then winch her off. One turn to lower boat one turn to row out a musket range, one turn to drop anchor, and then one turn to winch ship out to the anchor point. If not enough sea room, repeat until there is. Takes a while, but then it serves you right for going aground! Much less hassle than a Court Martial.
    Bligh.
    Good advice, too!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    I have put them in my photo album called Avatars.
    Thanks Dave.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

To complement Dave's towing off cards if you also use the boat cards for landings of cutting out parties, here are the cards I used for land actions at Valdivia.

Rob.

Name:  Infantry.jpg
Views: 883
Size:  181.6 KB

Name:  mARINES.jpg
Views: 922
Size:  181.1 KB

Name:  MATELOTS.jpg
Views: 775
Size:  191.4 KB

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Nick

Rob those are excellent! I love how you used the original ship/fort-log layout to make the cards. These are great!

Nice, what‘s a MATELOT?

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Comte de Brueys View Post
    Nice, what‘s a MATELOT?
    Seconded!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

noun

British
    informal

• A sailor.
      Example sentences

• ‘Among the sailors listed by the French were Prussians, Italians, Americans, Portuguese, Danes and one matelot from Halifax (whether or not it's Halifax, Nova Scotia, or Halifax, Yorkshire, isn't clear).’
      • ‘The torpedo broke the destroyer's back, causing her to sink in 15 seconds and thus consigning hundreds of exhausted troops and matelots to their deaths.’
      • ‘TV chiefs are to hold a talent contest to find the best singing sailors, matelots, seamen and ship-hands in the country, and offer them a top music contract by way of a prize.’
      • ‘He was in matelot's uniform, having stayed on with the Royal Navy after the end of the war.’
      • ‘And the skill of sailing is matched in these young modern matelots by the skill of recovery from the capsize.’

Synonyms
      seaman, seafarer, seafaring man, mariner

Origin

Mid 19th century (nautical slang): from French, variant of matenot, from Middle Dutch mattenoot ‘bed companion’, because sailors had to share hammocks in twos.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Not an original idea. just took on board one done by a shipmate some time ago and modified it to my own needs.
    Could also do with one for Chilean Malitia which were also shipped to bulk up firepower and landings.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by TalkMonkey View Post
    Seconded!
    Also just noted your Rep comment Nick.
    Thank you very much.
    Rob.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Nick

You fine chaps wouldn’t have any markers or tokens to represent marine or landing crews would you? Maybe a launch or ship’s boat while we are at it?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I use actual small boats from Langtons Nick.
    You can see the Marines actually landing in this picture.
    Rob.