Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Default AAR 3 Duty and Daring.

Name:  large.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  133.5 KB

The Battle for supremacy of the straits had been bloody and long, but at dusk the British Fleet had at last prevailed and driven off the French with a bloody nose. The Windward Islands were safe in British hands for a little longer.
    Rear Admiral Jackson shifted his Flag to the Ramillies it being the most seaworthy First Rate still afloat and with the exception of his late Flagship now a dismasted hulk the Fleet limped back towards Jamaica.
    Having been recently promoted Captain for his part in the capture of the fortifications of the Saint Roque Island, young James Roberts manoeuvred his Frigate Amelia gingerly between the shoals to Port and the Hibernia to Starboard.

Name:  IMG_0070.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  137.5 KB

The three Decker with all but its mizzen shot away could hardly maintain steerageway let alone manoeuvre. With no bowsprit and spritsails any attempt to get underway would cause her to broach.

Name:  IMG_0072.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  141.0 KB

At the first attempt to pass a hawser this had in fact happened with the resultant parting of the tow. As the remains of the overstretched rope snaked across Amelia's foredeck two hands had been caught and nearly cut in two by the vicious whipping of the hawser.
    Not wanting another parting of the ways, the next attempt was altogether more careful, with the Masters mate having been transferred to the Hibernia to oversee things from that quarter.

Name:  IMG_0073.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  205.4 KB

With the Hawser finally secure, James passed the order to Jack Straw his First to get the two ships underway. flags had just made to Hibernia, when a call was heard from the Main tops.
    "Sail ho! Fine on the Starboard bow."
    Jack swung his telescope in the direction indicated, but could not make out anything above the horizon as yet.
    "What do you make of her Maxwell" he thundered up to the lookout in the tops.
    "Looks like a Frenchie Capn. I'd guess a 74. Heading to cut across our bows about four miles."

Name:  IMG_0074.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  155.5 KB

"I'm obliged Maxwell." James replied."Beat to Quarters if you please Lieutenant."
    "Port your Helm, and run out the guns."
    In minutes the orders had been carried out and the Amelia with Hibernia in tow headed directly toward the off shore shoals, much to the consternation of Capitane Andre Du Bois of the Aqulion who was now forced to turn sharply to starboard to avoid coming under the guns of the British First Rate.

Name:  IMG_0075.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  115.1 KB

As it was he was caught by a broadside from Amelia as her guns came to bear.
    Balls wined across his deck and swept ratings from their positions.
    The upper deck guns also flayed his sails unmercifully.

Name:  IMG_0076.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  197.8 KB

As he came about Du Bois gave the order to return fire and it was the Amelia's turn to suffer.
    The heavier fall of the Frenchman's shot damaged the wheel, holed the ship and started a small fire in the hammock nettings.

Name:  IMG_0077.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  170.3 KB

Parties were immediately dispatched to deal with the situation, and the Amelia continued her turn to run parallel to the shoals and force the French ship to follow suit.

Ordering the helm over five degrees to starboard and allowing the drag of the Hibernia to swing her still further, Amelia now crossed the 74's wake and gained the weather gauge firing her forrard guns as she did so.

Name:  IMG_0078.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  153.4 KB

Caught off balance, by the move Du Bois returned what fire he could, but lost far more crew members than the Amelia in this exchange.
    James continued with the Amelia's swing to Starboard, and with the Aqulion now trapped between the shoals and the British ships, both raked her stern. The heavy Carronades of the Hibernia pulverising her tween decks and cutting down her crew in swathes.

Name:  IMG_0079.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  161.8 KB

All three ships now continued on a parallel course for several minutes, but James realised that in order to avoid the Galigo headland, Du Bois must come about, forestalled him and was ready with another broadside when he did so.

Name:  IMG_0080.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  160.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0081.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  167.0 KB

Du Bois was forced to endure another broadside from both ships,and as expected his return fire was slackening, although it did further render Amelia's steering damaged, and James was forced to order the auxiliary steering into action with a couple of seamen to relay his orders to the lower gundeck.

Name:  IMG_0082.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  166.7 KB

Severely wounded, the Aquilon now broke off the action, after taking a parting broadside from the British ships which fell short.

Name:  IMG_0084.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  164.5 KB

Until he had the auxilliary steering functioning James could do nothing about giving chase, and by this time it was too late to catch the 74 with his consort in tow.

Name:  IMG_0083.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  169.2 KB

Damage report.

Name:  IMG_0085.jpg
Views: 572
Size:  189.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0087.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  185.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0088.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  181.7 KB

Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Very enjoyable AAR Rob! Amazing to see how close you came to taking the Aquilon!

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bob

Very nice, Rob. Do you have any other information about this scenario. I would, like to use it.

Thanks,

Bob

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Bos'n View Post
    Very nice, Rob. Do you have any other information about this scenario. I would, like to use it.

Thanks,

Bob
    Bob, it's one of the solo scenarios we've been playing this year. This is the one for March. Linked here: http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.p...uty-and-Daring

Scenario description is in post #10.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Very enjoyable AAR Rob! Amazing to see how close you came to taking the Aquilon!
    I was astounded how it played out myself.
    From the point where I read the brief I knew that if I could reach the shoals I could prevent the Aquilon raking me. A sort of opposite of Nelson at the Nile trick. That would be the only chance of bringing the guns of my First Rate to bear. With this in mind I thought we might make it off the board with some points left.
    When the Aquilon crossed my bows rather than take the broadside, I saw the chance to get the wind by crossing aft of him before he turned to rake me. This proved to be the turning point of the action. After that he was at a disadvantage as we had all the sea room. Just sorry my steering problem took me out of range. One more broadside would have done it.
    Young James Stuart will sail on.
    Rob.

Nice AAR, Rob.

I think HMS Amelia used her secret 750 horse power engine to pull away the 1st rate wit that speed.

So it was a calamity for du Bois to hit this stable (former French) Hebé frigate with the floating batterie towed behind.

Good fight.

Midshipman
    England

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

Great AAR Rob
    Those Frenchies sure took a good kicking.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Comte de Brueys View Post
    Nice AAR, Rob.

I think HMS Amelia used her secret 750 horse power engine to pull away the 1st rate wit that speed.

So it was a calamity for du Bois to hit this stable (former French) Hebé frigate with the floating batterie towed behind.

Good fight.
    She actually used the slowest rate on the card for the towing Sven. The wind gauge did not help at all really. I did leave out some of the more boring pictures where both ships were maneuvering for position or reloading guns etc. That might be why she seems to be getting a lick on.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Popsical View Post
    Great AAR Rob
    Those Frenchies sure took a good kicking.
    Not enough of a kicking I'm afraid Steve. if only we had not steered away when we did.
    Still, we got off and that was the main thing.
    Rob.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

That looks like a very good scenario. Thank you for the AAR.

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

Brilliantly done Sir, brilliantly done. The admiral will be leased his flagship is safe and in good hands. Promotion in the offing there methinks.

Well worthy of REP too for the master could be a sea shanty in the offing there too I wouldn't wonder. Now where's me penny whistle?

Neil

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Well the Master certainly got thing all ship shape and Bristol fashion on the Hib Neil.
    Unfortunately Young James having just been promoted Captain will have to wait some time to be made Post.
    However, it should at least ensure that The Admiralty grant him some interesting missions in the Amelia.
    Rob.

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

I'm sure James will be in the thick of it again soon.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Union Jack View Post
    I'm sure James will be in the thick of it again soon.
    You may spot him very briefly in today's offering when I post it.
    Rob.