View Poll Results: Have you sailed on the open ocean?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! On a large sailing vessel

13 30.95%
  • Yes, but on a small craft or dinghy

10 23.81%
  • Well, it didn’t have sails...

6 14.29%
  • Sailing vessel but it was on a lake, river, or inlet.

9 21.43%
  • Hey, I was on a cruise ship. Does that count?

3 7.14%
  • Surf’s up! Surf board, paddle board, kayak.

0 0%
  • I waded into the water.

1 2.38%
  • I got my toes wet.

0 0%
  • Lubber.

0 0%
  • Lubber. But I did polish up the handles on the big fromtdoor!

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you actually been on the open ocean?

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

Default Have you actually been on the open ocean?

In a boat. More specifically, a wind-powered sail boat? Did you actually help handle the craft?

Everything but the last two for me.

Though I did polish up the handles so carefully...

Edit in: “Open Ocean” is meant to include major seas, such as the Baltic, Black Sea, Mediterranean, Aegean, Caribbean, etc. I suppose the Adriatic or Gulf of Baja might be relatively calm, but go with your gut if you feel it was something a bit more adventuresome than placid.
    Last edited by Corsair; 03-18-2019 at 17:08.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thank you Sir Joseph.
    When I was at school we built three sailing dinghys in the school woodwork shops and sailed them on the River Trent.
    I must also mentioned that I have sailed the boards, having played the part of Sir Joseph in a school rendition of Pinafore.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

A no to being on a sail ship, did travel out to Australia on the SS Canberra and returned to uk on the Himalaya a coyple of years later.
    Used a number of ferries travelling from Aberdeen to Lerwick and vice versa as well as a few channel ferries in my time

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Is 31' a large sailing vessel or a small craft? We've done a few overnight passages with Grace (while carrying a pair of 74's and a gaggle of frigates and SoW's inside).

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Achim

Baltic sea and (regularly) in the Dutch coastal waters. Not yet real "Blue water sailing".

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I have sailed to the Isle of Man and back on a ferry.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    Is 31' a large sailing vessel or a small craft? We've done a few overnight passages with Grace (while carrying a pair of 74's and a gaggle of frigates and SoW's inside).
    The US Coast Guard is exceedingly vague about what constitutes “small craft”. Basically, from their standpoint, anything threatened by conditions is small craft, which would seem to mean that it is a sliding scale. Having been on 30 footers on the Pacific, I’d call them small craft. The largest I’ve sailed on was the Serena, which I think was around 90 feet, and intended to sail vast distances on the open ocean, and I’d probably rate above small craft (though if things got bad enough, the Coast Guard would say was small craft). So...at your discretion to what you regard as small craft, I suppose.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

From my perspective of sailing in dinghies, anything larger than one with two sails is a large craft.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

78 ft brig in the Mediterranean. It's not really an ocean, but some say Mediterranean is part of the Atlantic so I checked the top.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Guess that puts you up there with the best so far Jonas.
    Hope we hear from a few more shipmates soon.
    I'm sure a few more must have sailing experience.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    78 ft brig in the Mediterranean. It's not really an ocean, but some say Mediterranean is part of the Atlantic so I checked the top.
    I think the Mediterranean meets the qualifications. It's got to be one of the Seven Seas!

I counted Grace as a very small large sailing vessel, and went with the top one too.

P.S. We just hopped up the coast from Saint Augustine to the St John's inlet, a mixture of light wind sailing and motoring. The weather was sublime. That evening, we got thumped by a thunderstorm at the dock! It would have been easier on the ocean!

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Sailed from S.W. England to Scotland, back south to Gibraltar, through the Med to Greece and back to South of France. Took us 8 years, our crossing of the Bay of Biscay was so calm we motored all the way until we hit a thunderstorm off the coast of Spain.
    So we sailed a very small part of the Atlantic Ocean but a lot of the Irish and Mediterranean Sea in a 35' sail boat. I don't consider our boat to be a large craft but it's not a dinghy either.
    Cheers

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I am sure that is a story worth the telling John.
    Have you been following Dobb's voyage?
    Rob.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    I am sure that is a story worth the telling John.
    Have you been following Dobb's voyage?
    Rob.
    Not yet, I saw the thread with the link and when time allows will have a look.
    Cheers

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Not yet, I saw the thread with the link and when time allows will have a look.
    Cheers
    Your adventure sounds much bigger than mine, John! I would love to sail those places someday.

I agree with your assessment of large crafts. I also feel that sea-capable small sailboats are a cut above small crafts.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Your adventure sounds much bigger than mine, John! I would love to sail those places someday.

I agree with your assessment of large crafts. I also feel that sea-capable small sailboats are a cut above small crafts.
    "sea-capable small sailboats are a cut above all crafts" I think this is what you meant to say

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    "sea-capable small sailboats are a cut above all crafts" I think this is what you meant to say
    You're absolutely right, John! It must have gotten tweaked by the spell checker...

It has been some years now but when I crewed on Kalmar Nyckel I sailed off the east coast of the US on the way from the Mid-Atlantic to New York and New England. Not sure what is worse on a large sailing vessel rough conditions or climbing an oscillating mast while riding a swell in light airs.

Photo below. Jonas will note the Swedish flag on the main mast. The original was a Dutch built ship used by the Swedes to establish a trading post in the new world in 1638. Couldn't help but include a photo of "Toolbox" the ship's cat who passed away several years ago.

Name:  Kalmar Nyckel under sail.jpg
Views: 3329
Size:  46.1 KB

Name:  Toolbox_of_the_Kalmar_Nyckel.jpg
Views: 1160
Size:  131.9 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Not only a magnificent feat Eric, but also a magnificent ship, and a magnificent cat.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Many Swedish ships of that time were Dutch designed and some also Dutch built. Wasa, famous for its disastrous maiden voyage, was originally of Dutch design until the King demanded more guns resulting in an extra gun deck.
    Kalmar is a coastal town on east coast of southern Sweden.
    There's also the Finnish flag as Finland was a part of Sweden until two hundred years ago when Russia decided it was part of Russia instead. During the Russian revolution Finland came to the conclusion that was not the case and became independent.

What a handsome cat!

Edit: Funny reflection... I think La Grace as a brig has a greater number of sails than Kalmar Nyckel. The number of sails slowly increased over time until after the end of the Napoleonic wars when they suddenly almost doubled. I have sailed on Tre Kronor af Stockholm too, another brig but built after a brig from about 1845 I think.
    Last edited by TexaS; 03-11-2019 at 11:10.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

As you probably know Jonas, we had a King like that.
    Hence our Mary Rose.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Interestingly enough that King was a genius in war on land. He was Gustav II Adolf or Gustavus Adolphus as he is often called.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

When I was a teen I learned to sail a small dinghy in the Blackwater estuary at Bradwell on Sea. Years later, I also helped crew a friend's 34 ft sailboat for a days sailing in the same estuary. My stepdaughter crewed on a Round the World race yacht from Cape Town to Boston, her only previous experience being sailing around the isle of Wight a few times to give her some idea of how a yacht worked. She did well for a girl from Iowa. She loved every minute of it.

Oops, I just realised, I checked the wrong box, it should have been the 'inlet' one, not the 'open ocean' one. My apologies
    Last edited by Bilge Rat; 03-12-2019 at 10:17.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

I sailed for several weeks on the Fantome near the Bahamas, Bimini, Gun Key, etc. It was a 300 foot (679 ton) steel hulled stay sail schooner. It was built by the Duke of Westminster in 1927, and sold to A. E. Guinness (the brewery heir) in 1930. I sailed on it in 1976. It was lost at sea in a storm off Latin America in 1998. I've attached a photo below:

Name:  Fantome 2.jpg
Views: 1212
Size:  8.4 KB

The following year, I also sailed along the Brazilian coast in the 40 foot sloop "Horseman of the Moon" (translated from the Portuguese).

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Yep!! I think that counts Bill.
    Rob.

Landsman
    Scotland

Log Entries
    Name
    Alan

Last year I sailed a Hunter 35.5 from Croatia down the back of Italia and on to Corfu. Lots of adventures ... the most heart racing being ambushed by a gunboat from the Guardia Finanza during a night sail off the coast of Brindisi.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Ah the Guardia di Finanza, remember driving from Naples to Latina with the cig ration for the uk team, they thought they had hit paydirt until I showed my id card and travel docs and pointed out my AFI number plate, around the next bend got pulled up by the Carabineri for speeding, so in my best Northern english accent asked Ay up whats matter Officer, flashed my id again got told to sod off in Italian and told not to do it again.
    I take my hat off t9 you sailor chaps. I get seasick in the shower

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    It has been some years now but when I crewed on Kalmar Nyckel I sailed off the east coast of the US on the way from the Mid-Atlantic to New York and New England. Not sure what is worse on a large sailing vessel rough conditions or climbing an oscillating mast while riding a swell in light airs.

Photo below. Jonas will note the Swedish flag on the main mast. The original was a Dutch built ship used by the Swedes to establish a trading post in the new world in 1638. Couldn't help but include a photo of "Toolbox" the ship's cat who passed away several years ago.

Name:  Kalmar Nyckel under sail.jpg
Views: 3329
Size:  46.1 KB

Name:  Toolbox_of_the_Kalmar_Nyckel.jpg
Views: 1160
Size:  131.9 KB
    Eric,
    The Kalmar sailed passed my place last summer (or was it the summer before last...oh dear I've reached that age)....here's one of the photos I quickly snapped. I was reading on one of my balconies, looked up and saw her about to go by so I hurriedly took the picture with my phone -- sorry it isn't a better quality.
    Bill
    Name:  Kalmar Nyckel 3.jpg
Views: 1368
Size:  84.6 KB

Nice shot. I was onboard for the Tall Ships 2000 in New York and we sailed up the Hudson, well briefly just to the GW and back for a ship parade. Of course New York has it's own 17th century tall ship - the Halve Maen - Henry Hudson's ship.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Nice shot. I was onboard for the Tall Ships 2000 in New York and we sailed up the Hudson, well briefly just to the GW and back for a ship parade. Of course New York has it's own 17th century tall ship - the Halve Maen - Henry Hudson's ship.
    Yes the Halve Maen passes my place twice per summer season (although I hear that now it is operating in Europe) -- here's a couple of photos:
    Name:  Half Moon 4.jpg
Views: 1141
Size:  139.8 KB

Name:  Half Moon 7.jpg
Views: 1202
Size:  416.8 KB

best,
    Bill

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You lucky chaps.
    Having all these ships passing by.
    I have to go to Bristol or Gloucester docks to see such sights.
    That is the problem with living in the heart of the Midlands.
    Rob.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    That is the problem with living in the heart of the Midlands.
    I'm sure its not the only one

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Nice shot. I was onboard for the Tall Ships 2000 in New York and we sailed up the Hudson, well briefly just to the GW and back for a ship parade.
    That's great! I had no idea how close we came to meeting 20 years ago. That same week, Suzanne and I were sailing our first cruising sailboat up to Connecticut to rendezvous with the OpSail fleet. We crossed paths with the fleet on the Chesapeake and New York harbor. I was a professional juggler and that was one of my last major gigs before switching over to working on sailboats.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    I'm sure its not the only one
    It's strange Dave, but you can put up with almost everything else except being over 80 miles from the sea.
    Rob.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

For me, its a 2000 mile trip west or a 1200 mile trip east to get to a beach. The great lakes LOOK like the sea but they smell like pond..... even the gulls sound different.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Bilge Rat View Post
    For me, its a 2000 mile trip west or a 1200 mile trip east to get to a beach. The great lakes LOOK like the sea but they smell like pond..... even the gulls sound different.
    I know what you mean about the gulls sounding different. Here at the top of the Chesapeake Bay it's fresh water, and our gulls sound different too!

As an aside, since we are nowhere near the sea, we call them Bay gulls. Nearby is the C and D canal, which, until it was dredged into a through canal, meant we had Locks and Bay Gulls.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

Fortunately, my wife is Jewish otherwise I would never have got that....even so, people have been keelhauled for less...just sayin

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That is so bad Dobbs it is nearly worthy of me.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

I know what you mean about the gulls sounding different. Here at the top of the Chesapeake Bay it's fresh water, and our gulls sound different too!

As an aside, since we are nowhere near the sea, we call them Bay gulls. Nearby is the C and D canal, which, until it was dredged into a through canal, meant we had Locks and Bay Gulls.
    OOOFFF !!!!

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

The closest I've been is whale watching in the Santa Barbara Channel and ferries on the Great Lakes and the Solent.

I suppose it's somewhat fitting that I'm drinking Cutty Sark scotch at the moment.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

That's great! I had no idea how close we came to meeting 20 years ago. That same week, Suzanne and I were sailing our first cruising sailboat up to Connecticut to rendezvous with the OpSail fleet. We crossed paths with the fleet on the Chesapeake and New York harbor. I was a professional juggler and that was one of my last major gigs before switching over to working on sailboats.
    Hey Dobbs,
    I know a couple of accountants who might qualify for the title "professional juggler".. Perchance you weren't a Flying Kamarazov Brother were you?
    Bill

Able Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Test
    Never knowingly undergunned

Able Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Stuff that doesn’t count...

US Carrier USS SYLVANIA Naples 1969
    Assorted ferries
    HMS Victory
    HMS Belfast
    Cutty Sark
    Island trips off Cyprus/Portugal/Mallorca

Stuff that might count..

Sailing ship in the Adriatic visiting islands off a Croatia
    Sea kayaking off Dubrovnik
    Crewing a Viking ship up Roskilde fjord

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Reminds me about the woman who spent a month as a stow away on the Isle of Wight Ferry.

Rob.

Able Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

That was no woman, lol

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Well it certainly was not your wife Chris! She is definitely a lady.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

It's been 35 years since last I visited HMS Victory and Cutty Sark. Have they finished the rigging on Victory yet? How is Cutty Sark after the fire? Is she rebuilt?

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Rafer J Larwood View Post
    Stuff that doesn’t count...

US Carrier USS SYLVANIA Naples 1969
    Assorted ferries
    HMS Victory
    HMS Belfast
    Cutty Sark
    Island trips off Cyprus/Portugal/Mallorca

Stuff that might count..

Sailing ship in the Adriatic visiting islands off a Croatia
    Sea kayaking off Dubrovnik
    Crewing a Viking ship up Roskilde fjord
    Many decades ago (1970s) I visited Roskilde fjord and the Viking museum there -- it was so very cool then...I presume it has gotten even cooler now!

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Yes, on quite a few of Her Majesty's warships (and several of other nations)

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    It's been 35 years since last I visited HMS Victory and Cutty Sark. Have they finished the rigging on Victory yet? How is Cutty Sark after the fire? Is she rebuilt?
    I visited the Cutty Sark in 2013 and she was very impressive. They built a glass surround so to enter the museum part you actually go down around the outside of the hull. I think the HMS Victory is still undergoing her latest refit.