Thread: Spanish harbor in process.

Default Spanish harbor in process.

Hello, I show you some photos of a Spanish harbor that I am doing. For the buildings I am using my range of buildings, for the rest of the elements (walls, dykes and breakwaters) I am using the buildings of Langton miniatures. All the dressing that will come later (boats, sailboats ...) will be from Lagton too.

I hope you like it, cordial greetings

Julián

Name:  20190624_124840.jpg
Views: 1236
Size:  106.9 KB

Name:  20190624_124849.jpg
Views: 1097
Size:  103.1 KB

Name:  20190624_124929.jpg
Views: 1246
Size:  145.2 KB

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

That looks great! I'm sure it will be stunning when finished.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

What a splendid creation Julián.
    You can really see how the town has evolved down the centuries.
    Are you going to make all these parts available on your site?
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Thank you, all the pieces that make up the harbor are mainly mine and you can find them on my web ModelJShip http://modeljship.com/en/26-terrain-and-scenics-11200

The other pieces, such as walls, breakwaters... are from Langton and can be purchased on their website.

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    That looks great! I'm sure it will be stunning when finished.
    Thank you Jonas!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Julián. I did not know Langton did those harbour pieces.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Thanks Julián. I did not know Langton did those harbour pieces.
    Rob.
    Those are the reference from Langton I usually use.

RB17 Wide Dockside 150x27x4mm

RB18 Narrow Dockside 150x21x4mm

M39 Harbour Set

M39a Harbour extension (2 straight pieces)

M39b Harbour extension (Breakwater)

M39c Harbour extension (Angles)

M48 Pier

RA142 Wall Section (47x9mm, H:20mm)

RA126 Corner Tower (11x11mm, h:33mm)

RA127 Straight Tower (11x11mm, h:33mm)

RA136 Wall Section (139x9mm, h:20mm)

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Once again thanks. I have bought buildings from Langton Don't know how I missed the Harbour sections?
    I get mine from Brigade, but these in resin look far better.
    Rob.

Once again thanks. I have bought buildings from Langton Don't know how I missed the Harbour sections?
    I get mine from Brigade, but these in resin look far better.
    Rob.
    The references that begin with "R" are in resin while the references that begin with M are in White metal. Little by little Langton is changing the metal for the resin, much better detail.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I may well alter my shopping habits in future then Julián.
    However your's are still the best in my humble opinion.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Next question if I may Julián.

What medium do you use for your ground texturing and contours? It almost looks like a sort of cement.

Rob.

Next question if I may Julián.

What medium do you use for your ground texturing and contours? It almost looks like a sort of cement.

Rob.
    The cliffs areas are made with the well-known paper pulp. The flat areas I made with beach sand and then I applied a bone white spray (Vallejo, Hobby Paint) Ref: 28013.

The beach sand is very good to texture this scale without the need to use electrostatic grass later. It is enough on a white surface to apply different washes with brown and green inks to achieve the desired appearance.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Very similar to what I do then Julián, excepting I also use scatter material, and cork bark for some of the rocks.
    I do like the paper pulp texture. How robust is it in use, would it withstand traveling to shows etc? I have only used it many years ago for railway modeling, and the painted surface seemed somewhat brittle.
    Rob.

Very similar to what I do then Julián, excepting I also use scatter material, and cork bark for some of the rocks.
    I do like the paper pulp texture. How robust is it in use, would it withstand traveling to shows etc? I have only used it many years ago for railway modeling, and the painted surface seemed somewhat brittle.
    Rob.
    The pulp of paper, if the mixture has been made correctly:
    toilet paper + water + white glue, It is hard as wood.
    You will not have any problem transporting items made with paper pulp.
    I always recommend being generous with white glue that way we guarantee that the paper will be hard and well cohesive.

It is also important to have a place where you can leave it in the sun to dry in a limited time. Here in Spain, in summer ... well you can imagine, tomorrow temperatures of 30 degrees are expected.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Right Julián I will certainly give that a try with my new model. It looks ideal for a low coastline such as I am about to produce.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Any suggestions on how to represent rushes, reeds or tall grass along a bank?

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    Any suggestions on how to represent rushes, reeds or tall grass along a bank?
    Yes of course!

Name:  paletina-cuadruple-mango-de-madera-jeivsa-P-256529-9842889_1.jpg
Views: 1219
Size:  49.9 KB

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoat View Post
    Yes of course!

Name:  paletina-cuadruple-mango-de-madera-jeivsa-P-256529-9842889_1.jpg
Views: 1219
Size:  49.9 KB
    That's good, but how do the bristles get attached? One at a time seems tedious.

I hope this helps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTZYFyxul8I

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

Julián, these just keep getting better and better. I like how you've incorporated the earthworks of the star fort into the ground around it. Where did you get the star fort's outer ring of fortifications?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That packet long grass and wheat field is very good I use it on a lot of my troop bases to add a bit of extra interest.
    A little goes a long way.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

If I use the bristles method Dobbs, I just tape a group together. Then cut them off and stick a bunch at a time into the resin water before it cures.
    Rob.

Today I had a little time to continue with the Spanish port. Right now it is in the painting phase, once I applied the inks to darken the windows. It is a bit repetitive work but seeing step by step the port is taking color is comforting.

Name:  20190721_150635.jpg
Views: 1068
Size:  139.5 KB

Name:  20190721_150649.jpg
Views: 1041
Size:  139.4 KB

Name:  20190814_141531.jpg
Views: 1009
Size:  147.9 KB

Name:  20190814_141515.jpg
Views: 1097
Size:  144.6 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Very Spanish it is too Julián. Another masterpiece to be sure.
    I'm just about to start cutting the base out for my island fortress. Got a bit sidetracked today, The workmen started laying my new path around the extension to the road. I had to keep a weather eye on them to make sure they stuck to the script.
    Rob.

I hope to find a little more time these days to move forward with the project. I'm glad you like!

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

Excellent harbor . I like that designs , i hope i can do something similar , but i dont have that level