Thread: Sails of Glory's cousin, Battlestar Galactica - Starship Battles

Default Sails of Glory's cousin, Battlestar Galactica - Starship Battles

For those of you who are not against science-fiction, Ares Games is releasing soon Battlestar Galactica - Starship Battles. Same designers, same developement staff, same factory.
    You can get an idea of this game downloading the rulebook here:

http://www.aresgames.eu/22072

Or reading this inteview:

http://www.gioconomicon.net/modules....ainini#English

In my opinion, this can be an occasion to relaunch Ares Games' distribution and give new strenght to Sails of Glory itself.

If you are in Italy, a preview game session will be held during Gioco & Storia on October 20th at 6 PM, at the Piana delle Orme museum (Latina).
    If you are in Germany, the game will be pre-released at the Essen fair during the last weekend of the month.

Thanks for posting Andrea. I am not against Sci-Fi in fact I have miniatures for a BSG game and the Slitherine computer game "Battlestar Galactica Deadlock" (a strategic level game with tactical fleet battles).

I have been looking forward to your game. Especially since FFG screwed up X-Wing by releasing the 2nd Ed. Of course we all know they poached your ideas anyway.
    Last edited by DeRuyter; 10-10-2018 at 10:41.

Thanks a lot indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    I have been looking forward to your game. Especially since FFG screwed up X-Wing by releasing the 2nd Ed.
    Interesting oint of view. Actually they say the opposite: that they screwed up X-Wing with the very first edition, and that you can get the 2nd (or a few 49$ conversion kits) to fix that.

Of course we all know they poached your ideas anyway.
    By the way, I am working on Sails of Glory Pirates... Stay tuned!

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

There were three fifth-rate frigates called H.M.S. Apollo, two of which were wrecked.

Ceylon (the nearest name to Cylon) was an East Indiaman, captured by the French in July 1810, renamed Cylan and recaptured by the British in December 1810.

The ships never met each other.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

"By the way, I am working on Sails of Glory Pirates... Stay tuned!" - ooh, good news :)

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

"By the way, I am working on Sails of Glory Pirates... Stay tuned!" - ooh, good news :)

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    There were three fifth-rate frigates called H.M.S. Apollo, two of which were wrecked.

Ceylon (the nearest name to Cylon) was an East Indiaman, captured by the French in July 1810, renamed Cylan and recaptured by the British in December 1810.

The ships never met each other.
    Great notes for a (Science-)fiction scenario!

There are several small ships called Viper, a few frigates and privateers called Adams and one called Tracey, if you tolerate some approximation.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Pirates! Oh yes.
    Simon will be ecstatic.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Pirates! Oh yes.
    Simon will be ecstatic.
    Rob.
    I had the great pleasure to play with him at Doncaster last year, a very piratish scenario!

I am moving along a slightly more historical and less movie-based path, but we are decisely going in the same direction. ;) Some pics of my past pirate games, both with him and with my testers, are in my albums on my Facebook personal profile if anybody is curious.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for the Heads up Andrea.
    I'm sure that a lot of the shipmates including myself will look upon your efforts with the utmost relish.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I can see Simon reaching for the Rum, immediatky upon reading this news, does this also mean some pirate chasers will also be in the offing?
    Ill take a look at your album shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    Thanks a lot indeed!

Interesting oint of view. Actually they say the opposite: that they screwed up X-Wing with the very first edition, and that you can get the 2nd (or a few 49$ conversion kits) to fix that.

By the way, I am working on Sails of Glory Pirates... Stay tuned!
    Oh I like that and a more historical version too! There is too much Johnny Depp and PoTC around these days.

Following up on my X-Wing comment. First the game was fine as it was, one could cynically say that the 2ed was a GW like money grab by FFG, but I think it may also have to do with the tournament meta. Ok the new models look good too.

Second it is not just me as plenty of people on different gaming forums complained when the scheme was announced (including the FFG forum). I figured out the cost to "retrofit" my collection and not including the capitol ships was in excess of $300. So yes you buy the new starter set for $30 and the conversation sets go for roughly $40 per faction. But here's the rub a Rebel Alliance conversion allows conversion of 2 of the most popular ships - 2 X-wing and 2 Y-wing for example. My collection is based on the original movies mainly so I have enough fighters to fight the Deathstar scene (Trench run). So that's at least 6 X-Wing and 4 Y-Wings plus the Falcon. In other words $120 just for the Rebels. Now for the Empire you need more Tie fighters, so that's 4 conversion kits in addition, another $200. So what I should have said is they screwed over people with large collections, worse if you are a tournament player.

For me I'll just stick with the 1st Ed. and spent my gaming dollars elsewhere, like on your BSG and more SoG ships!!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Oh I like that and a more historical version too! There is too much Johnny Depp and PoTC around these days.
    For goodness sake don't say that Eric. Have you seen Dave's latest batch of naval jokes?

https://sailsofglory.org/showthread....mor-of-the-Sea. Starts at 1404.

I don't want to put him off posting.
    Rob.

For those of you who are not against science-fiction, Ares Games is releasing soon Battlestar Galactica ...

In my opinion, this can be an occasion to relaunch Ares Games' distribution and give new strenght to Sails of Glory itself.

If you are in Italy, a preview game session will be held during Gioco & Storia on October 20th at 6 PM, at the Piana delle Orme museum (Latina).
    If you are in Germany, the game will be pre-released at the Essen fair during the last weekend of the month.

I'm in and hope a comrade of mine is able to get one copy at Essen.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I am moving along a slightly more historical and less movie-based path, but we are decisely going in the same direction. ;) Some pics of my past pirate games, both with him and with my testers, are in my albums on my Facebook personal profile if anybody is curious.
    This is great news. I just hope the "new" SoG will mix with the old and not be a completely new game...

Battlestar Galactica? I may have some small interest in that too...

Name:  Celestra.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  157.1 KB