Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to buy the kickstarter ships

Able Seaman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

Default Looking to buy the kickstarter ships

I am a little late to the game and would really like to buy the kickstarter ships if anyone has them for sale, I can pay via paypal.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

As Mack has shown your best bet is probably going to be Ebay, although posting here can't hurt.

Unless someone has multiples of the KS exclusives or wants to get out of Sails of Glory completely I can't see them giving up their KS ships? Best of luck in tracking down a set.

That price is a steal for a Kickstarter set.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Kenneth

Arrrrr, I be the newly appointed Thread Pirate Roberts and I say, "The prices of ARES ships has rapidly gone down. A NASDAQ chart would see that line plummeting steadily!" Retailers will get a big boost from the release of Constitution and Victory (If they can get enough stock), followed by an even more rapid decline in the price of ARES ships as the game becomes old news. Kickstarter exclusives only have value to those that bought into it. They have no value to anyone else. Even among SOG fans, they are just repaints. In 10 years from now, 2025, everybody in this forum will have moved on to something else. Blasphemy I know, but there it is. Avalon Hill's "The General", Strategy and Tactics, and then...nothing seems to be the trend for miniature war-games. Gunner found his Langton fleet from the 80's in his garage. What miniatures rule set was he using then? He obviously didn't need those miniatures for the last 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    That price is a steal for a Kickstarter set.
    It will go up considerably over the next four days of bidding.

Quote Originally Posted by Kentop View Post
    Gunner found his Langton fleet from the 80's in his garage. What miniatures rule set was he using then? He obviously didn't need those miniatures for the last 30 years.
    I didn't say that I haven't used them, the boxes were buried since my move to Arizona in 09. That's 2009 not 1909.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I will be interested to see what the final selling price is for the lot. I would not be surprised if it hovers around MSRP.

I think Kenneth could be correct, and that the price of SoG has decreased - a simple fact of supply and demand. I am not sure how active SoG is on BGG, but I think Ares has hurt the line. I hope I am wrong.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    I think Ares has hurt the line.
    So many things done wrong.

Able Seaman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

The prices aren't going down this is an auction not a buy it now the last auction from a week or 2 went for 113.00 without shipping charges the KS ships are worth good money on Ebay in a bundle.

Now going for $154.00 with two days to go.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Now going for $154.00 with two days to go.
    Well, I guess there's still some interest in the game? That is a lot of money for four ships though!?

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I found a set of the four KS ships a couple of days ago upstairs. I forgot about them. I would be happy to sell them at such a price; I have other wargames I would like to get. I just might have to post mine on ebay. I also have a bunch of WoG planes and balloons. Hmmm.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Me too. I was thinking about putting the four kickstarters + a complete set of wave one on ebay.
    come back to papa.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I found a set of the four KS ships a couple of days ago upstairs. I forgot about them. I would be happy to sell them at such a price; I have other wargames I would like to get. I just might have to post mine on ebay. I also have a bunch of WoG planes and balloons. Hmmm.
    From what little I've read on the Drome forums wouldn't you likely get a better offer on the balloons and maybe the planes over there vs. Ebay? Of course with the balloons unlikely to be produced again maybe Ebay would get you bigger bucks overall?

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    From what little I've read on the Drome forums wouldn't you likely get a better offer on the balloons and maybe the planes over there vs. Ebay? Of course with the balloons unlikely to be produced again maybe Ebay would get you bigger bucks overall?
    Yes. The WoG stuff I was planning on selling on the 'Drome. I know many folks there that would like the stuff. The one thing I have been contemplating is posting right before Origins for Origins pickup. I rather not deal with running to the PO each week to send an individual plane. If someone wanted to buy 5+ planes, I would do that, but the thought of individual sales has kept me from doing it thus far.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Yes. The WoG stuff I was planning on selling on the 'Drome. I know many folks there that would like the stuff. The one thing I have been contemplating is posting right before Origins for Origins pickup. I rather not deal with running to the PO each week to send an individual plane. If someone wanted to buy 5+ planes, I would do that, but the thought of individual sales has kept me from doing it thus far.
    Not to get too much off topic, but are you getting out of WoG or just reducing surplus inventory? I just bought some stuff off Keith via the Drome store as he needs to make room. Even sold his 1/144 Graf Zeppelin. One huge model.

Sounds like it might be happening to your SoG collection too?

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I have a lot of extras from purchasing lots on ebay, etc. I hate things collecting dust when others could use them, need room, and want other games; so the best solution is to sell all the extras.

I plan on playing WoG and SoG for as long as possible. I will purchase each new release of WoG planes (WWI and WWII), but will probably only buy future SoG sculpts that provide new scenario opportunities. I would like to collect some 3-D shore and land items for SoG, and various items for WoG like the Zeppelin, of which I am a proud owner of one of Dave's (Clipper) 1/144 beauties. This year, I want to make some to-scale aircraft carriers, but will make them flat, for example out of plywood with a top-down view. This will make it easier for planes to fly over them without having to use 20 pegs. Sue painted a set of Shapeway Kettering Bugs for WWI, and I want a set of V-1 rockets for WWII. Basically, I am looking for items to develop scenarios; this is one of the several reasons I drool over your pirate ships, Jim, and over Rory's scenery. Clipper and I discussed some possibilities, and, hopefully this year, we can revisit them.
    Last edited by 7eat51; 01-19-2015 at 22:15.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Not to get too much off topic
    I forgot to ask, but when did this ever stop us?

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I forgot to ask, but when did this ever stop us?
    LOL. True, but I do try to control the drift most of the time. I consider it part of my sailing training.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

LOL. True, but I do try to control the drift most of the time. I consider it part of my sailing training.
    I gave up awhile ago. Part of the joy of being here each day, for me personally, is the kibitzing, regardless of the topic.

Not only drift to worry about, there is also windage

Wow, the eBay auction just ended and it looks like Keith got $215.19, plus $7.80 shipping, for the four ships. I've never taken my four exclusives out of their boxes. Might be a good time to sell them.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Right there with you, Bobby. I will gladly sell mine for that.

Just goes to show the online enthusiasts are a narrow slice of the customer base. I still like to think we are important...

Well, Eric & Bob, If I don't see a set of yours on E bay in the next day or two, I'll put up one of mine.

Well, Eric & Bob, If I don't see a set of yours on E bay in the next day or two, I'll put up one of mine.
    I figured that you were the one that won the bid on the ships that just sold.

And it appears that you are trying to get Eric and me to put ours on sale so that you can get those too!

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post

And it appears that you are trying to get Eric and me to put ours on sale so that you can get those too!
    No, it wasn't me. I have three sets from EB Commodore & EB Captain

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I think Ed is trying to corner the market.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Ed, I will wait a bit, so if you want to post a set, there won't be a competing offer.

Is this collusion?

No, but I think a gentleman in the Prescott AZ area did. If I was to venture a guess, I'd say there were more KS's in Arizona than any other state.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

You are probably correct, even though we're most likely speaking about only two individual supporters.

I'm backing down on putting a set up on e bay. Don't want to step on Keith's toes, who just put another set up.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Garrett

Wow, the eBay auction just ended and it looks like Keith got $215.19, plus $7.80 shipping, for the four ships. I've never taken my four exclusives out of their boxes. Might be a good time to sell them.
    Just wanted to say that even as a new arrival to this game, that is an insane price for ships. I would rather buy / cast my own copy of a similar sculpt and paint it to whatever colors I deem fit.

If I had such spare cash lying around there would be plenty of other purchases to support my hobby addiction...

Quote Originally Posted by Grogmaker View Post
    Just wanted to say that even as a new arrival to this game, that is an insane price for ships. I would rather buy / cast my own copy of a similar sculpt and paint it to whatever colors I deem fit.

If I had such spare cash lying around there would be plenty of other purchases to support my hobby addiction...
    The sculpts are not even unique. They are the same as the other ships in Wave 1 and the starter set, just a different name and paint scheme.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

And there are the french ships cheap, but he won't ship outside the US.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sails-Of-Glo...k/181641381708
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sails-Of-Glo...-/181641374150

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

that is an insane price for ships
    I just jumped into Memoir 44. I, too, have been amazed at some of the prices for OOP items, especially for map packs that are paper. There is an OOP Market Garden game I want - hex and chit - that is running over $300 on the secondary market. Fortunately, MMP is reprinting it sometime this decade.

I wish I kept all my wargames, army men, etc. from when I was young. I would be sitting on a small fortune.

At one level this is indisputably true. There are so very many folks barely scraping by, or at least without a dime of discretionary money, and from that perspective $50/ship is raving loony. But then too there are those people able and willing to shell out $1000s per year for season tickets of one kind or another, or an RV or sports car, or high end video gear or electronics. Some handful of that latter group of people able to splurge have apparently decided to do so by completing their SGN set...

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

After reaching my limit on both auctions of Keith's sets I finally ordered from his store, giving up on combined shipping...

Just hope it'll be a while for me to recover a bit before next kickstarter set goes up.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

What did the most recent KS Exclusives go for on ebay?

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

What did the most recent KS Exclusives go for on ebay?
    It went for $122.50.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    It went for $122.50.
    Much less than the previous lot. Hmmm.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Oh, it was $124.50... I shouldn't quote from memory anymore... But still quite a bit less.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

If my memory was only off by $2, I would celebrate.

I imagine shipping is quite expensive.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

It is. The shipping for my order from Anchorage Store was almost $60.

That's why I try add up to buy quite a few at a time.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Wow. I am amazed at how much shipping is between Europe and the U.S.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Yes.

Sad thing though is that if you make smaller shipments they will not be stopped by customs. This most probably will be and then it's value added tax instead.

Much less than the previous lot. Hmmm.
    Years ago when I was watching the A&A Naval Minis on ebay it was incredibly variable. One week you'd see a Yamato go for 9 bucks and think the market was crashing; the next week one would sell for $32 and cause you to ponder the vicissitudes of the human mind...

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Or just the randomness of who found the auction.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

At times, I have picked up wargames for a small percentage of the previous week's ending bid. I think, Jonas, you might be correct. That doesn't mean, Fred, you are not also correct; I am, after all, buying again many of the games I once gave away thinking my gaming days were over.

+ Reply to Thread