Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Default My Latest Side Specific Damage Charts

I developed these charts to make the ships more durable. The charts are put in a plastic sleeve and marked with grease pencils.

Damage is marked from the top down. The numbers on the left for broadside strength represent the forward firing arc. The middle is the full broadside. The right numbers are the stern firing arc.

If a ship loses all the damage boxes in a row on a side, it cannot fire the at that row's strength, and the small square is checked off to indicate this. A ship cannot take more than its Burden of damage on a side from a single hit. Any additional damage from a chit is transferred to the other side. Any damage beyond twice the ship's Burden is just lost (it went completely through).

Note that I changed the way fire and flooding was done.

Fire is now just an automatic Burden-worth of points allocated to whichever side the player wishes. Each time the ship takes a fire hit, a box is marked off in the lower righthand corner. After the last box is marked off, on any additional fire hits, damage is marked as usual, but the player rolls a d6. On a 5-6, the ship explodes.

Leak hits are marked on the lower right. As long as there are boxes to mark, the pumps are able to handle the flooding. Leak hits after the last box is marked off become a Burden-worth of damage, marked as the player sees fit.

Crew units have been strengthened to compensate for the increase in damage that the ships can absorb.

The information at the very bottom is for campaign usage that I am still working on.

101 - Courageuse.pdf

102 - Genereux.pdf

103 - Terpsichore.pdf

104 - Defense.pdf

105 - Amelia.pdf

106 - Orient.pdf

107 - Alligator.pdf

108 - Royal Sovereign.pdf
    Last edited by Dobbs; 10-24-2018 at 17:12.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

If you download these and the text doesn't look right, it may be that you don't have the font I used.

I used Bauer Bodoni Bold Condensed, free from this website:

https://ufonts.com/fonts/b/page51.html

Nice wor, Dobbs.

This deserves a try. Especially because you create a chart for the Orient!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for the additional files Dobbs. I know Cpt.Kiwi will be over the moon because Amelia is his ship for the Campaign solo games.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Of course, I can upload specific ship names. I just wanted to post examples of the first two waves.

I have standardized all ships by class, unless there is something particular about a certain ship.

Just to add, having played these rules with Dobbs, they take the game to another level. A most welcome addition (with some other sailing oriented rules) for someone looking for more depth and subtlety to the game. I also prefer using laminated charts to track damage rather than fiddling with the board and chits.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Good work, Dobbs!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I tend to use laminated ship mats for big battles and the Ares ones for small ship up to about three a side.
    The laminates are much more compact, take less time to update and thus far less obtrusive on the table.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eddie

These mats are amazing! New to the game and forums and this is what I was looking for when wanting to add larboard and starboard sides to the ships. These mats are gorgeous as well, thanks Dobbs. I have also have the Victory and the Republique.. how would we edit these files to work with other ships??

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

It's probably best if I do the editing on this end. I'm sure Word would butcher them if I shared the files between computers.

I think I have a Victory. What is the Republique?

Would you do me a favor and post a picture of one of my sheets printed out so that I can make sure that the fonts and spacing is the same as what I think I'm posting?

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eddie

Hello Dobbs, thanks for responding. Imperial 1803 French/Republique Francaise 1802. I hope this picture comes through, but this is a ship sheet printed out. I hope that is what you wanted Name:  terpsichore.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  115.8 KB. I plan on getting more ships, you may need to make a bunch of these at some point for me then :) Thanks for your help.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Excellent, Eddie! That is exactly what I wanted. I have never gotten to see how they look printed on someone else's computer.

I don't have the information for either ship. I'll send you a PM with my email. If you could scan the ship picture card and send it as a Jpeg I'll do up some sheets and post them here.

As you get ships, let me know and I'll post the charts.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Here you go, Eddie, the first two as requested:

201 - Victory.pdf

106 - Imperial.pdf

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eddie

Perfect!!.. these look amazing!

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    J

This is terrific! I specifically bought this game recently to make a directional damage model like this (so I'm VERY new), but you've already done it! Looks great, I cant wait to try it out! I do have some questions:

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    A ship cannot take more than its Burden of damage on a side from a single hit. Any additional damage from a chit is transferred to the other side. Any damage beyond twice the ship's Burden is just lost (it went completely through).
    When you say "a single hit," do you mean from a single chit of damage? or all the chits drawn from that single attack? Thanks!

Also any thoughts about how to incorporate hits from other angles besides from the sides, such as true forward or rear raking shots? Maybe you lose both sides in front or rear equally in that case?

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Zythe View Post
    This is terrific! I specifically bought this game recently to make a directional damage model like this (so I'm VERY new), but you've already done it! Looks great, I cant wait to try it out! I do have some questions:

When you say "a single hit," do you mean from a single chit of damage? or all the chits drawn from that single attack? Thanks!

Also any thoughts about how to incorporate hits from other angles besides from the sides, such as true forward or rear raking shots? Maybe you lose both sides in front or rear equally in that case?
    I'm glad you like them, Zythe. Mainly what I was trying to convey is that, as a ship receives damage, you mark it off on the side hit row by row from top to bottom. If a single chit exceeds the ship's Burden, the extra is marked on the other side.

In the event of a small ship taking a big hit, say Burden 2 getting hit with 6 points of damage on a single chit, 2 points would go on the side hit, two points would go on the other side, and the remaining two points would be lost in a shower of splinters spreading over the ocean.

I have instructions for rakes, I'll have to post them. They are somewhat harsher to make up for the ships being stronger.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    J

Ah ok, I see! I like this idea a lot! It doesn't seem like it would add very much complexity but makes the damage to a ship more dynamic. I'm very interested to see the rake rules when you get a chance!

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

I'll post as soon as I can. It may be a few days. I have to go through and edit it so as to make sure it makes sense if I'm not there. Of course, if you have any questions just ask.