Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's on Your Workbench for April?

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

That's not a knock on Henry, either--his Victory in the middle of Ares ships is like having Patrick Stewart or Denzel Washington play pick-up ball filling in with a neighborhood community-theater troupe--and I think the prints he sent me are FDM's. :)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

When all is said and done, they are a joy to paint and as DB says even with my adding Ares sails they still stand out in a crowd.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Very nice looking schooner Rob
    Thanks Vol. Should get number two completed today with Daid's suggested alteration done which looks much better.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

With a bit of work this morning I now have my second schooner completed.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Very sleek, but still formidable, especially with 28 guns!

Very nice, a nice addition to your already impressive American fleet.
    "It seems to be law inflexible and inexorable that he who will not risk cannot win."
    John Paul Jones

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thank you Tony. The two schooners more or less fill out my needs apart from a couple of gunboats.

Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

28 guns? That's no schooner, that's a small FRIGATE! :P

A little more on Victory with an Intrepid also under work... primer is Vallejo 950 Black, decks are Vallejo 927 Dark Flesh, Victory hull is Vallejo 957 Dark Red and windowpanes are Citadel Caledor Sky. Is there a third deck of lights between the stern chasers and the lower gallery "balcony"? Port side is half stripped for another go at trying to paint without murdering the details.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Build up color slow in washes? I usually thinned Vallejos 1 drop paint to 3-4 drops water Way Back When, but for these ships it's more like 1 to 1-2.

ARS San Jose is slowly taking on her hull color... oh God I forgot how much I absolutely HATE painting things yellow. WWII USN trainers used to drive me NUTS... I'm using Vallejo 953 Flat Yellow and 862 Black Gray, looks like I gotta get a bottle of Gold for detailing the galleries.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    Nice schooner, Rob.

Eric: The thing I like best with the Wash and Cure 2.0 is that when the print is finished I just unscrew the build plate and put it in the W&C. It washes the whole thing without me having to touch anything where the resin is until after it's cleaned. Then I remove the prints from the build plate and cut off the supports before curing. That way there's less risk of damaging the model. Then it's just curing left. It's also nice to have timers built in telling me when it's finished by beeping.
    Jonas do you have to relevel the build plate if you take it off like that?

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

No. You always have to remove the build plate to remove the print. I wouldn't hack away at the print while it's still attached upside down on the printer.

No. You always have to remove the build plate to remove the print. I wouldn't hack away at the print while it's still attached upside down on the printer.

Of course - Had I thought about it for a second...I am such a 3d noob!

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

We all are until we try it. I watched a lot of youtube videos to learn before I tried it out, hoping to not destroy it before I learned to use it.

I watched several YouTube videos as well to learn. But your learning curve is a lot steeper with resin printing than mine was with FDM.

I knocked out one of David Manley's Greek/Roman ship stands last night. He designed them for 1/2400 scale but I increased them to 1/1200. I still have to paint the eyes on the prows, plus the oar and ship wakes.

Name:  20210426_091149.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  186.8 KB
    Name:  20210426_091204.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  181.4 KB
    Last edited by Volunteer; 04-26-2021 at 22:43.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Afraid I can't see your attatchments Vol.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I think that the resin printers are easier to understand what you need to do, but they are worse in the way of toxic resin, protective gloves, cleaning and curing. The only thing you have to do to calibrate it, which you should do if you switch resin, is to print a test print that you get from thingiverse or the like. There are test prints that will tell you if you have too long exposure or too short depending on how it prints the details. After calibrating the exposure time, you're ready to print. There are some great knowledge that the youtube community have found to work better than what the makers of the printers recommend. You shouldn't use quite as long extra exposure for the first layers as the makers recommend. It both burns out the screen quicker and makes it unnecessarily hard to remove the prints from the build plate. I have shortened it quite a lot and they still stick almost too hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Afraid I can't see your attatchments Vol.
    Rob.
    Can you see them now Rob?

Here they are finished
    Name:  20210426_190356.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  121.7 KB
    Name:  20210426_190413.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  125.9 KB
    Name:  20210426_190450.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  110.9 KB
    Name:  20210426_191416.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  118.8 KB

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Now we see them!

Looking very good.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Yes thanks. I see them now Vol. The eyes have it!
    They look very smart.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Making Spanish ships the right size.

Name:  B6E4B360-E7C8-410E-89DF-2B91CFBF70DA.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  183.5 KB

Name:  683B1290-05A8-4319-BA93-3633C87C9346.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  171.7 KB

Name:  6E699262-0D8C-4482-AABD-9119EF323BCD.jpg
Views: 1344
Size:  91.3 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for your shots of the Spanish ships Jonas. You have put things into perspective re the Ares vs correct size very succinctly.

Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 04-28-2021 at 12:20.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Not to be... nit picking, but it was me who posted that.

The difference in length is about 5 mm.

It clocks in at very close to the SoG Elizabeth-class.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Yes your pics really show what we been saying Jonas

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Am just finishing off rigging my first Spanish 74, the San Nicolas, will post pic as soon as completed

I am honoured to be confused with you Jonas!

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I am honoured to be confused with you Jonas!
    The honour is mine, good sir.

Can you see them now Rob?

Here they are finished
    Oh very nice! Must resist a new period. Actually I have paper models from Roman Seas, but these look so much better and I'd like to try David's rules.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Sorry Jonas post now corrected.
    It's me age you know!

Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    Oh very nice! Must resist a new period. Actually I have paper models from Roman Seas, but these look so much better and I'd like to try David's rules.
    David's STL files for the Greek/Roman and Phoenician/Carthaginian ships are free on Thingiverse Eric.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Not meaning to hijack here but did anyone else have the game Trireme from the 70s, came with 12 plastic Triremes in four colours and damage was charted and drywipe pens used to record.
    Think it was PSL games, lost it years ago unfortunately

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

New recruits for my fleet on offer from Zatu Games arrived today. Two destined for the HEIC and the other three for parts destined for Henry's hulls.

Rob.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi there. I have started an HMS Victory, design of 1765. Ship is from Henry Turner miniatures, scale 1/700.

Name:  20210429_192501.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  123.5 KB

Name:  20210429_192510.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  125.4 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good to hear from you again Julián and also good to see more of your fantastic work.
    I hope you will grace our new Sub forum display posts with a few of your creations.

Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Front Left: HMS Polyphemus, Ares upgrade
    Front Right: HMS Canada, completely new based on this model

Rear Left: HMS Victory 1778, Ares upgrade, need references--how much gold goes on beakhead/gallery and are beakhead tops usually deck color or hull color?

Rear Right: ARS San Jose, completely new based on this image unless I find a better reference
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

HMS Victory 1765. Based on images from the Naval Action computer game.

Name:  ss_2c643272c4b630f854ac3e78351ee8f4a3ee9cb8.1920x1080.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  85.6 KB

Name:  ss_5c53219dfcceccd14cb9f321de8ab97c0e48d45b.1920x1080.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  184.4 KB

Name:  ss_745b6eb1440cf43a0d8ee06ee5fe5f074937b223.1920x1080.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  83.5 KB

Name:  ss_27616074fd1de868cc623867d7456cf3e4f0b624.1920x1080.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  148.8 KB

Name:  ss_ce7233acc9ad6cb46ee52a0c902051bde3eccc5b.1920x1080.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  68.4 KB

Name:  ss_e28eadca6f3a1a35df6529c9858a4f06a7458567.1920x1080.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  70.6 KB

Name:  ss_e39104daff912e90a4c34a9e5757e9f000bbc8c6.1920x1080.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  95.2 KB

Good to hear from you again Julián and also good to see more of your fantastic work.
    I hope you will grace our new Sub forum display posts with a few of your creations.

Rob.
    Hi Rob. I hope I can add more works more often. I hope everybody is fine.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Thanks, Julian--when Keppel took her out in 1778 she was reported as having a red hull.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    Not meaning to hijack here but did anyone else have the game Trireme from the 70s, came with 12 plastic Triremes in four colours and damage was charted and drywipe pens used to record.
    Think it was PSL games, lost it years ago unfortunately
    Yes Chris I remember it being a great game! I played several times over at a friend's house in the mid 70's. It looks like it can still be acquired.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1709/trireme

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Julián, you always make incredible work on the ships. As I see a lot of his work on Facebook I guess he’s not been as active here because 1:700 is a more popular scale now. It’s unfair to compare the two scales as there’s more details on the bigger scale.

It’s a bit hard to show my own work when Julián just posted his fantastic work but I will defend myself by pointing out the scale difference.

Name:  3EB2E8AF-215A-4833-B85C-97A92D54A92A.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  171.9 KB

Name:  9CC76FA8-1E02-4646-9994-F6DDEC8DFA3A.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  190.9 KB

Still a work in progress.

Jonas, they look nice. They are 1/1000?, resin or plastic print? Herny has really done a great job of 3D design.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Impressive indeed. The fine detail raised a question in my mind which has echoed down the years ever since we started painting guns for the American army for AWI reguarding the trucks for the pieces. Now with the detail fine enough at 1000 to see these features. Did each nation have their trucks painted in national colours or just at the whim of the captain? I have only seen Black, Red, or natural oak on ships still around today such as Victory, or in museums or on the lawns in front of Naval buildings. Has anyone information on this?

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Julián, they are 1:1000 resin printed. They are printed before I upgraded the printer for anti-aliasing too. Anti-aliasing makes the screen the uv-light is projected through have gray tones and not just black or white. This makes "steps" in the model smoother.

Rob, I'm not sure. I searched the web for information on Spanish gun carriages and found that they were red at an earlier period and decided it was good enough for me. I have seen yellow, too.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I know that British field carrages were greenish grey, American Blue, Spanish Yellow, and French Green, but not sure if the colours followed through to the Navy.

Rob.

Julián, you always make incredible work on the ships. As I see a lot of his work on Facebook I guess he’s not been as active here because 1:700 is a more popular scale now. It’s unfair to compare the two scales as there’s more details on the bigger scale.

It’s a bit hard to show my own work when Julián just posted his fantastic work but I will defend myself by pointing out the scale difference.

Name:  3EB2E8AF-215A-4833-B85C-97A92D54A92A.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  171.9 KB

Name:  9CC76FA8-1E02-4646-9994-F6DDEC8DFA3A.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  190.9 KB

Still a work in progress.
    Jonas they are beautiful! I wish I could paint so well!

I know that British field carrages were greenish grey, American Blue, Spanish Yellow, and French Green, but not sure if the colours followed through to the Navy.

Rob.
    Here is info on the USS Constitution truck carriages:

The guns and carriages that are usually found on USS Constitution‘s spar and gun decks are replicas that were researched and manufactured for the 1927-1931 restoration. Over the intervening decades, the wooden carriages have been re-made and re-built many, many times. The 2015-2017 restoration was no exception and all of the gun carriages have had some re-building and refurbishment done to them. The replica 24-pound long guns are today mounted on laminated white oak carriages and wheels (known as “trucks”) that were last fully replaced in the 1992-1996 restoration. The iron carriage hardware is likely from the 1927 restoration, with some replacement pieces being substituted during the last 90 years.

Name:  IMG_8042.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  231.6 KB
    A laminated white oak 24-pound long gun carriage in the midst of being refurbished. [Courtesy Naval History & Heritage Command Detachment Boston]

Name:  IMG_8044.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  153.3 KB
    Two 24-pound long gun carriages upon completion of their re-build, including a new paint job in the traditional red color. [Courtesy Naval History & Heritage Command Detachment Boston]

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Jonas they are beautiful! I wish I could paint so well!
    Hear, hear! Jonas, your painting is the standard I aim for.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Thank you both very much for the praise.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    Hear, hear! Jonas, your painting is the standard I aim for.
    As do we all.

Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Nowhere near Julian's quality, but more work on Canada...

Deck is Vallejo 927 Dark Flesh, base hull 856 Ochre Brown to represent "varnished wood," strakes and bulwarks 899 Dark Prussian Blue. Trying to find more pics of the model I'm basing it on (gallery supposedly at ModelShipWorld but can't find it) to better plan the gallery and beakhead work.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB