Thread: LATEST UPDATE FROM ARES

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by The Royal Hajj View Post
    I think there is some language issues here. Every backer from Mate up is getting some of my stretch goal items in their pledges and those were not sent to the factory in China... so they could not have been completely assembled there. What Roberto is referring to is that I pre-packaged my items (I'm sure the other companies they are working with did the same, just speaking for myself) in to "Backer Kits". This means for the mass majority of the orders, they simply have to grab one of my backer kits and throw it in with the stuff from the Chinese factory. The orders that had Add Ons will take a bit more to process as they have to handle individual items.
    I wonder if they have thought about an operational process yet to handle the:
    "I got too many of X and too few of Y" type issues that may occur.

I also wonder if there is a way to get tracking numbers once the packages are on their way?
    Last edited by RichardPF; 11-01-2013 at 19:16.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

For those wanting to know the size of the boxes for individual ships...

Frigate

3.5W x 4T x 2.375D

SOL

4.25W x 4.75T x 2.375D

Those are pretty close rough measurements. The boxes I have are pre-production and do not have the most crisp of fold lines. Those measurements also do not include the hanging tab/flap on the top, it adds another .75 inches to it. Hope that helps some of you.

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

For those wanting to know the size of the boxes for individual ships...

Frigate

3.5W x 4T x 2.375D

SOL

4.25W x 4.75T x 2.375D

Those are pretty close rough measurements. The boxes I have are pre-production and do not have the most crisp of fold lines. Those measurements also do not include the hanging tab/flap on the top, it adds another .75 inches to it. Hope that helps some of you.
    So if the ships are packed for shipping to us by Ares without any packaging between them, you would get about 36 SOL or 52 Frigates per cubic foot,
    and the ships for an admiral pledge would take up just over one third of a cubic foot.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

For Wings, when I order cases the airplane packs come packed inside a case box and that case box is inside another box. Any extra padding that is needed is between those two boxes.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Keith, any news on how foam storage trays are shaping up?

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Still working out production issues will all the foam trays. I'm pretty sure I'll be biting the bullet and buying my own laser so that these will be produced in in house. Greater flexibility that way and it will allow me to test out multiple storage options for the best results.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Thanks, Keith. Would you be able to produce your own WoG trays? Would you be able to use the laser on other materials for other game aids? There could be some cool possibilities.

I'm kind of wondering if it would be handy to have a tray that splits your maneuver deck into multiple piles.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Blozinski View Post
    I'm kind of wondering if it would be handy to have a tray that splits your maneuver deck into multiple piles.
    How so? To what use? Curious minds want to know.

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

Having not seen one I am wondering just how tall is a SGN maneuver deck?
    The Wings ones seem pretty short to me.

Latest update from Ares on KS shows nice pictures of Captain's and Lt's packs all boxed together as they will be received, as well as the contents of each parcel laid out...I think I drooled on my keyboard...

I have to say the coasts and shoals look better than I was expecting, but everything looks fine indeed.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Scott

The pictures seem to show an additional counter set for lieutenants. Am I seeing things correctly?

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

These cannot arrive soon enough. Thanks for posting, Daniel.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Thanks, Keith. Would you be able to produce your own WoG trays? Would you be able to use the laser on other materials for other game aids? There could be some cool possibilities.
    Briefly, yes. All but a few of my AA exclusive items are cut with a laser. The trays have been cut with either a laser or waterjet in the past as well. Having the laser in house will mean no more out of stock conditions for those products as I can simply cut to order what I need within a days time. It also allows me to prototype things for only the cost of the material. Much greater flexibility which will hopefully need to new and better products. I'm thinking 3D forts and stuff you can assemble and paint.

Start a thread on this in the Anchorage Accessories section and we can talk through some ideas. I'd like to keep this thread on topic.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardPF View Post
    Having not seen one I am wondering just how tall is a SGN maneuver deck?
    The Wings ones seem pretty short to me.
    The card size has been listed here on the site and the thickness is only about 32 playing cards thick.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by GrouperKicker View Post
    The pictures seem to show an additional counter set for lieutenants. Am I seeing things correctly?
    Yea. Lieutenant level did not get to the additional counter pack stretch goals. Also, look at the coastal batteries pack. Is that a ship mat showing there? Maybe they are just printed on the underside?

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Sebastian

Quote Originally Posted by The Barrelman View Post
    Also, look at the coastal batteries pack. Is that a ship mat showing there? Maybe they are just printed on the underside?

No, I think that is most probably the battery log.

Yet the pictures show indeed an additional counter set (just checked the pledge summary, the set isn't supposed to be included for lieutenant level).

Looking at the pictures of the damage counter bags, I do regret not having ordered the additional two. I spent my money on another frigate as I thought getting two wooden bags from somewhere wouldn't make a difference. Yet, these bags do look impressive.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

The counter bags will be a nice addition when running games. Given their clear labels, they will make it easier pulling the right lettered chits, and they do look nice - better than I originally expected. They seem to be a sufficient size as well.

The little pop-out islands remind me of Pirates of the Spanish Main a bit, though these look nicer. I might have to break those islands out when I want to run a rocky area.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Michael

Oh the game looks just beautiful! This really cannot arrive soon enough. Congrats to Ares - they have done a really outstanding job on this one!

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Scott

The counter bags will be a nice addition when running games. Given their clear labels, they will make it easier pulling the right lettered chits, and they do look nice - better than I originally expected. They seem to be a sufficient size as well.
    I absolutely agree with you on how good the counter bags look! They really stood out in this update.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Lawrence

I didn't have any extra flexibility at the time the KS closed so no choice anyway...but I do regret not having gotten the extra bags (EB Lieutenant) among a couple other things. I hope the 'missing two bags' are available separately as I'm sure there will be a lot of Lt.s looking around for them.

Can't wait for that big box to come in though!

Glad to hear that it should hit a US port by the end of the week.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLaborMike View Post
    Oh the game looks just beautiful! This really cannot arrive soon enough. Congrats to Ares - they have done a really outstanding job on this one!
    Quote Originally Posted by GrouperKicker View Post
    I absolutely agree with you on how good the counter bags look! They really stood out in this update.
    Salivating with fellow sailors. Just have to wait a little longer...

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Todd

They look nice and I'm glad to get them, but I was hoping they'd make the bags themselves different colors (to match the tokens) so they're easily distinguishable wherever they end up. I may end up hunting down a different set...

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudotheist View Post
    They look nice and I'm glad to get them, but I was hoping they'd make the bags themselves different colors (to match the tokens) so they're easily distinguishable wherever they end up. I may end up hunting down a different set...
    This was a point of discussion when they were talking with me about supplying these as well. Logistically it's a pain but doable. I would have like to seen at least the draw strings in the corresponding color.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Todd

This was a point of discussion when they were talking with me about supplying these as well. Logistically it's a pain but doable. I would have like to seen at least the draw strings in the corresponding color.
    Well, if you ever decide they're worth the pain to produce I'd seriously consider an upgrade.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Sewing such bags isn't *that* difficult -- heck, *I* could do it, and I am as technologically impaired as an Amish person.

The SO located some useful patterns a while back -- she had an idea for color-coded bags for our _Dragon Dice_ collections, similar to what's being proposed here.

If all that's needed is different color drawstring cords, wouldn't a fabric store carry those?

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Sewing such bags isn't *that* difficult -- heck, *I* could do it, and I am as technologically impaired as an Amish person.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

The drawstring idea is good. I like the idea of all the bags being black with that differentiator. To Todd's point, it would help with identification wherever the bags are on the table. If it is not too difficult to make that change, I will have our newest Anchorage member look into it. She has all the talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudotheist View Post
    There were color coordinated bags in the demo kit. Big letters on the side would have been more useful.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Todd

There were color coordinated bags in the demo kit. Big letters on the side would have been more useful.
    If you're designing from scratch, why can't you have both?

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

I think I recall some discussion of custom bags being made available at the Anchorage Store.

I wonder if that is still in the realm of the possible.

I didn't snap to this until looking at the bags again, but the letters are color coordinated with the damage counters.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    No, I think that is most probably the battery log.
    Thanks. That does make sense.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Sebastian

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    Glad to hear that it should hit a US port by the end of the week.
    Is this your deduction of Ares saying "a few more days", or did I miss some information on when the cargo will actually arrive in Vancouver?

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Scott

The drawstring idea is good. I like the idea of all the bags being black with that differentiator. To Todd's point, it would help with identification wherever the bags are on the table. If it is not too difficult to make that change, I will have our newest Anchorage member look into it. She has all the talent.
    I'm wondering if colored shoelaces would work? My daughter was looking for different colors at a local shoe store and the range of colors was pretty amazing . Just a thought...

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

The SO located some useful patterns a while back -- she had an idea for color-coded bags for our _Dragon Dice_ collections, similar to what's being proposed here.
    Not difficult, but when you multiply it by 4 or 5 thousand, the logistics get a bit bothersome.

If all that's needed is different color drawstring cords, wouldn't a fabric store carry those?
    I'm sure something there would work nicely. the biggest problem we found when initially looking for colored cloth to match the chits was... nothing matched! Some we could match, others were close, but one or two was no where to be found. And for me (and I'm sure Ares) matching the colors as close as possible was important. With the color only being embroidered on the bags, only matching thread has to be found... a much easier task.

Those were made by the wife of the person that demo'd the game before you ;)

Quote Originally Posted by RichardPF View Post
    I think I recall some discussion of custom bags being made available at the Anchorage Store.

I wonder if that is still in the realm of the possible.
    Possibly. But I am more inclined to make and offer a higher end product. Either leather or some other material and style suited to the theme of the game. These would be low quantity, hand made bags.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    Is this your deduction of Ares saying "a few more days", or did I miss some information on when the cargo will actually arrive in Vancouver?
    It was deduction, and they should hit the port next week, not this week

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Curtis

It was my wife Annette who made those the first morning of our Con where we demo'd SoG. She actually looked for letters when she bought the color of cloth she didn't already have and the pull strings. Unfortunately, the fabric store she selected was out of A and C, so she decided to forgo it. Which was a good thing, as the strings ended up being a PITA! They frayed almost immediately, hence the hot-wax burn on them. She also realized too late to change it and get to the Con on time that she used only one string on one bag, purple I believe.

So, all criticism of the demo-set bags should rest with me. I didn't think of it in time to allow her to do the job to her normal impressive standards.

Sorry mate.

Although, in the production game, color-coded will be just as fast or faster than letters if you use the punch-out range rulers instead of the wooden ones. Just match the color on the ruler to the bag.

I absolutely love the idea of replacing the drawstrings with color-coordinated ones and am sure that will be the first thing Annette does to ours.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Latest word from Ares on the Kickstarter website. This is in response to a recent question concerning the container ships arrival at Vancouver.

"Everything should be on track. Normally we only get info from the forwarder when the goods land at the warehouse, however we're trying to get some more tracking information to ease your worries..."

2nd Lt
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bob

Looking forward to getting what I have for the Kickstarter. Should be in the next few weeks.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Update #52 Nov 26, 2013
    A short (but important) update
    2 comments Like
    Sails of Glory Backers!

The glorious day is ahead. The containers with the Sails of Glory Kickstarter rewards are expected to land at our warehouse in Ft. Wayne tomorrow.

We'll give you a new update as we start shipping. Don't hold your breath! There are tens of thousands of items in the containers - they must be unloaded and checked, and then our brave warehouse staff needs to prepare 1000+ shipments, each different from the other ones. And it's Thanksgiving for them, too! We will give you a new update as shipments start to go out.

Please note a couple of important things in the meantime:

1) if you were issued a PayPal payment request, and you did not reply - your rewards will be temporarily placed on hold, until you reply (there's a dozen of you in this condition, and you've been e-mailed already on this problem). If by the end of the year you will not reply, we'll have to revert you back to your basic pledge level. If there is any problem in completing your PayPal payment right now, let us know, and we'll try to find the best solution for your case.

2) If we should receive an address change notification from you, from now on - please note that your shipment might be delayed, as we'll have to remove you from the "general shipment" to avoid errors. Or the shipment might have already been sent to your old address! Please avoid modifying the address at this point unless absolutely necessary. This does not apply to anybody who already notified us of a change of address before.

We'll soon be in touch with more news. Thanks for your patience!

Sounds like US kickstarters should start receiving their orders no later than the second week of December.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Sounds like US kickstarters should start receiving their orders no later than the second week of December.
    If that's the case, then I win -- everyone else "overbid", while I predicted 2014....

>;)

If that's the case, then I win -- everyone else "overbid", while I predicted 2014....

>;)
    Nice try Chris. I said exact date, not exact year. Vol still has an outside chance.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Nice try Chris. I said exact date, not exact year. Vol still has an outside chance.
    Already with the rules-lawyering.... :)

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

"I'm sorry, sir, but we got to have SOME law."

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    "I'm sorry, sir, but we got to have SOME law."

Awfully strange talk for a pirate.

Comptroller of the Navy Board