Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Default Turtle vs. Eagle - the Mission - September 7th, 1776

September 7th, 1776

The bad news was actually good news in a way. The bad news was that the British had seized the Continental battery on Governor’s Island. The good news was that, having secured the position, the flagship HMS Eagle had come north the two miles from her station off New Jersey to anchor just west of the newly captured island. The Continental submarine Turtle now had a prime target, and it was that much closer!

Bushnell’s plan had been to attack on the 11th, in the confident darkness of the new Moon. With the uncertainty of the impending British invasion, moving the plan up four days had seemed prudent.

The Battery of Manhattan lay off the port bow, and Sergeant Ezra Lee’s turn to rest in the sternsheets of the cutter was almost over. For the past two hours, the boat’s crew had been riding the Hudson’s mighty ebb south while gently towing the Turtle down the river. Tethered twenty feet astern, David Bushnell rode inside the submarine using its rudder to keep the ungainly craft following properly astern of the rowers.

The boat crew rested their oars and Lee cautiously pulled the towline hand over hand to bring the Turtle gently alongside. As soon as the submarine tapped the hull, its hatch quickly opened, and with strain showing on his face, its inventor clambered out. Whilst able to imagine and create such an extraordinary machine, spending time in the confined space that was the reality of its interior was not easy for him.

Ezra lowered himself into the submarine. Peering to the southeast, even in the full darkness an hour before midnight, he could make out the loom of Governor’s Island just over 4 cables away. Sharp lookouts in the cutter’s crew had alerted him that the British had three sentry boats watching for any Continental foolishness. As he closed the hatch, could hear the excitement in Bushnell’s voice as he murmured a “Good luck!”

Name:  0.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  49.9 KB

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  29.1 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  24.7 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Size:  22.8 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Size:  44.1 KB

As he ran in place, working the treadle that turned the water screw, he pondered the lookout’s report. One patrol boat, or three really didn’t make a difference to the Turtle, Ezra told himself. He’d run on the surface as long as possible, and when it became necessary, use his vessel’s unique abilities.

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  40.9 KB

Ezra was just estimating that he was about a cable from the middle sentry boat when he heard a distant shout, even through the copper wall of the hatch. They must have spotted him! He smiled as he thought how well sound traveled over and through the water. “Well, that’s it for running on the surface,” he thought as he opened the petcock to flood the ballast tank.

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  38.3 KB

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  35.9 KB

The bit of phosphorescence floating in the depth barometer showed he had brought the Turtle down to a depth of ten feet. The interior of the Turtle was filled with a high pitched, rhythmic sound which could only be the strokes of the men pulling the oars of the sentry cutter looking for him. The sound faded.

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  31.1 KB

The ebb was beginning to fade. He was past the sentries. It was all going like clockwork. The thought made him ponder the clockwork in the cask riding on the outside of the submarine. Fifteen minutes after he drilled into the hull, its mechanism would activate the flintlock and if everything worked, the Continentals would achieve a major victory.

Name:  9.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  37.2 KB

Ezra saw the dimly glowing compass card start to swing as an eddy threw the Turtle off course by a point to port.

Name:  10.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  35.0 KB

Ten minutes in to the mission and less than a cable to go. It was hard work, but it was seeming like it was possible. Slack tide has begun and the next five minutes are the easiest to install the torpedo, if the Eagle can be reached...

Name:  11.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  70.7 KB

Getting closer…

Name:  12.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  108.7 KB

Another eddy throws the submarine’s bow to port. This close, correcting for that might be a challenge, and the dash across the East River cost a lot of exertion.

Name:  13.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  76.2 KB

Slowing down allows for sharper maneuvering, but uses up the valuable slacktide. Two minutes remain before the flood starts.

Name:  14.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  109.0 KB

The Turtle reaches the Eagle! With only four Exertion points remaining, Ezra decides to use two more to improve his chances on his first attempt to screw into the ship’s bottom. He meets with Success!

Name:  15.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  95.9 KB

Name:  16.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  73.3 KB

Using his last reserves, Ezra treadles away from the Eagle. The torpedo’s clock is ticking.

Name:  17.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  89.9 KB

The flood has begun, and a half a knot of northerly current helps the Turtle move clear as Ezra rests.

Name:  18.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  79.4 KB

Worn out but feeling successful, Ezra brings the submarine back to the surface to let in some fresh air.

*This was the “official” 20 turn end of the engagement, which I listed as a partial Continental victory, since I had stipulated that the Turtle had to be greater than C/D range from the Eagle at the conclusion for a full victory. Of course, I was curious if Ezra could elude the patrol boats, so I played an additional 6 turns.

Name:  20.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  103.8 KB

No sooner was he on the surface, but the two most southerly sentry boats spotted him and started making toward the submarine. Amazingly, the lookouts from the Eagle, less than half a cable away, saw nothing! With two cutters bearing down on him, to Ezra it seemed like a good time to rest. Why close range and make their work easier. He let the Turtle drift.

Name:  21.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  117.4 KB

The northern sentry was in on the act now. Still nothing from the flagship. Now that the first two patrols were getting close, it was time to really set them to scratching their heads about what they saw. Ezra opened the ballast petcock and let the submarine submerge.

Name:  22.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  56.1 KB

Name:  23.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  113.3 KB

Ezra smiled at the thought of the British crews searching desperately for something that was quite literally under their feet. It was a game of cat and mouse, but the Turtle was one slow mouse.

Name:  24.jpg
Size:  49.2 KB

He was worn out and his shirt was soaked with sweat, but he was clear of the sentries. Now it was just a question of getting back to the Battery before the flood tide carried him up the East River. A thought occurred to him. “Nine minutes until the World is introduced to a new type of warfare!”
    Last edited by Dobbs; 09-07-2024 at 13:44.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Name:  19.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  152.0 KB

Here's the log for the first 20 minutes. As you can see, Ezra pretty much bet it all on getting there. If he hadn't been successful on the first try, he might have gotten one more attempt, and not as good a one.

Name:  25.jpg
Size:  147.6 KB

The first six lines are the last 6 turns I played.
    Last edited by Dobbs; 09-07-2024 at 12:50.

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Mike

Well that was an interesting read. Thank you :)

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Thanks Mike and thanks for the Rep!

I had Ezra run a number of trials which are listed in the AAR's.

Here are the links.

https://sailsofglory.org/showthread....05-August-1776

https://sailsofglory.org/showthread....in-August-1776

https://sailsofglory.org/showthread....September-1776

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Well done Ezra, and well done Dobbs.
    Now we are all agog to see if the bomb explodes and what damage is done if it is successful.

Thanks for a great series of reads.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Well done Ezra, and well done Dobbs.
    Now we are all agog to see if the bomb explodes and what damage is done if it is successful.

Thanks for a great series of reads.

Rob.
    Exactly my sentiment!

Minutes pass by like hours...
    Will there be a detonation?

Lt. William Bush
    "Jeder Krieg, auch der siegreiche, ist ein Unglück für das eigene Volk, denn kein Landerwerb, keine Milliarden können Menschenleben ersetzen und die Trauer der Familien aufwiegen."
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Mike

Hahahaha I have to admit, I was disappointed when there was no big bang. :)

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

As the die roll indicated Ezra's success at attaching the torpedo, it set me to pondering what the effect would have been on the war.

My thought is that the British would have given no quarter to American mariners after that.

The Americans, on the other hand, probably would have seen an increase in privateering. Certainly, other inventors would have tried to copy Bushnell's ideas.

I am considering a sequel where the Turtle survives the fall of New York and is taken overland with the retreating Continental Army.

When the British move on Charleston, South Carolina later in the war, Bushnell, the Turtle, and an improved model may be there to meet them.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

...as to the explosion, the clock is still ticking...

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

Thank you for those great AAR's.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Thank you, gentlemen, for all your compliments. Your appreciation makes it easy for me to want to spin more yarns.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

What do you folks think? Would the Turtle's success have had an impact on the war?

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

I think it might have shortened the war because the Brits would not be able to anchor or moor up without knowing what was out there. Until they found out what sort of device was causing them pain they would have had to be very cautious indeed.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I agree Gary.
    I wonder how long it would be before a malfunction of one of the underwater boats informed them what they were up against. Someone would then have to come up with anti submersible nets. What a chore to have to deploy them every time a ship anchored. It would have no doubt been a game changer, but the war would have ended up in the same way no doubt.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    What do you folks think? Would the Turtle's success have had an impact on the war?
    Unlikely. What it probably would have spawned would be the creation of "His Majesty's Submersible Squadron", with boats commanded mad and courageous Scotsmen, towed by and launched from the various blockading squadrons striking at the French fleet in their home ports :)

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

How long would it take to back engineer something like the Turtle in those days Dave?

Rob.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Unlikely. What it probably would have spawned would be the creation of "His Majesty's Submersible Squadron", with boats commanded mad and courageous Scotsmen, towed by and launched from the various blockading squadrons striking at the French fleet in their home ports :)
    If my understanding of currents in the Channel and French coastal area is correct, probably largely one-way trips--Kaitens over 100 years early.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

In underpowered crafts, strong tides can be your friend. The book, "Riddle of the Sands", while fictional, is a good example. Suzanne and I regularly use tides to our advantage.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

In underpowered crafts, strong tides can be your friend. The book, "Riddle of the Sands", while fictional, is a good example. Suzanne and I regularly use tides to our advantage.
    We know the currents would carry them in. Would the tide be strong enough to get them safely out? I'm assuming they'd want to ride an incoming tide on the attack, if time allowed to also catch the outgoing on the withdrawal. OTOH it's not hard to see someone taking some convicts awaiting execution and tell them "do this one-way job for King and Country and we'll grant your next of kin a Navy pension."
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Plan everything around when slacktide falls. Ride the tide in. Attack during slacktide. Ride the now turned tide out. Easy peasy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The ports on river estuaries may also be interesting flow wise.
    Rob.

Very interesting! Thanks for the detailed AAR. Not sure it changes much an annoyance for the RN and crews pulling guard boat duty. Maybe they anchor further out in harbours, etc.

I will be in Portsmouth in two weeks, now I'll look out on the Solent and think about whether an 18th century submersible could get into the harbour!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Enjoy your visit Eric and if you get the time do visit Fort Nelson a bit further along the coast.

Rob.

Enjoy your visit Eric and if you get the time do visit Fort Nelson a bit further along the coast.

Rob.
    Thanks, I saw that. We are taking the South West rail train from London for a day trip. Our London trip is a university graduation present for my son who wanted to return to London and see an Arsenal game (). He also has a part workday on Sunday writing about fans watching American football in London. There is a pub called "Passayunk Avenue" which serves Philadelphia cheese steaks and has football games on Sunday evenings. My wife has her shopping and touring day and my requirement was the day trip to the Naval Dockyard.

I was told that the Mary Rose museum is fabulous and there is an exhibit about the HMS Victory restoration to see as well. I was also recommended to go to a pub called "Ship Anson" for a meal. I am also going to try and work in a visit to an IWM site in London.

After our London stay, we are headed across the Channel to visit my relatives in The Netherlands. Alas none of the trip involves any gaming!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Where in the Nederlands are your relatives Eric. My mothers' cousin lived in Den Haag throughout the war and I spent several summer holidays as a young man there visiting the family.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Gawk at the Mary Rose and Victory, and Warrior, for me Eric! I'll see them eventually, but I look forward to preview!

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

An interesting variation on a sea battle as well as an entertaining read, thanks for that Dobbs. You're certainly an innovating force on the site.
    Well done Captain.

Where in the Nederlands are your relatives Eric. My mothers' cousin lived in Den Haag throughout the war and I spent several summer holidays as a young man there visiting the family.
    Rob.
    Exactly there. My Uncle was a teenager in Den Haag during the war. They lived just outside the city in a town called Voorburg. One exit on the motorway before Den Haag city center. We will be staying in Scheveningen taking advantage of being there in the fall rather than the summer beach season! We will be visiting Rotterdam and taking a trip to visit one of my cousins who moved to the eastern part of the country, somewhere north of Arnhem. Unfortunately, a visit to Market Garden sites is not on the agenda this time. I will be visiting a brewery, the only Trappist monastery in the NL, called Koningshoeven while we are out there.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

My relatives lived on Spoortlaan, only a walk away from the Dunes. I was there when Radio Veronica was washed up on the beach after a storm in the Nord sea.
    My love for Jazz was nurtured in Scheveningen after being taken to a concert given by the The Dutch Swing College Band.
    Pity you will miss our weekend at Doncaster on the 27th. Several of our Dutch shipmates are coming over for that.
    Have a great time.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    An interesting variation on a sea battle as well as an entertaining read, thanks for that Dobbs. You're certainly an innovating force on the site.
    Well done Captain.
    Thanks for the compliment and Rep, John!

Here's a preview of my next adventure:

Name:  20240912_181956.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  106.8 KB

Here's my current adventure:

Name:  20240912_162209.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  248.4 KB

Suzanne test fits a piece of rake trim.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Ok, I give in, what is Rolo Shield, does Suzanne hire out as a Roofer? If so I have some work for her but she pays her own travelling expenses.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Rolo Shield is a whizzy version of tar paper. Technically, Suzanne is retired, as am I, and we fixed sailboats for a living.

We've just gotten into the habit of fixing our own stuff, because finding reliable folks to do it was harder. Roofing is just our latest adventure. We're really looking forward to getting back to sailing.

However, if your job can wait two years, we're planning on heading your way.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Rolo Shield is a whizzy version of tar paper. Technically, Suzanne is retired, as am I, and we fixed sailboats for a living.

We've just gotten into the habit of fixing our own stuff, because finding reliable folks to do it was harder. Roofing is just our latest adventure. We're really looking forward to getting back to sailing.

However, if your job can wait two years, we're planning on heading your way.
    Do be mindful of UK labor laws, though--not sure, but if they're anything like Canada, I can't even do elder-care for my gal's parents while visiting because "that's taking a job away from Home Team."
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    Thanks, I saw that. We are taking the South West rail train from London for a day trip. Our London trip is a university graduation present for my son who wanted to return to London and see an Arsenal game (). He also has a part workday on Sunday writing about fans watching American football in London. There is a pub called "Passayunk Avenue" which serves Philadelphia cheese steaks and has football games on Sunday evenings. My wife has her shopping and touring day and my requirement was the day trip to the Naval Dockyard.

I was told that the Mary Rose museum is fabulous and there is an exhibit about the HMS Victory restoration to see as well. I was also recommended to go to a pub called "Ship Anson" for a meal. I am also going to try and work in a visit to an IWM site in London.

After our London stay, we are headed across the Channel to visit my relatives in The Netherlands. Alas none of the trip involves any gaming!
    The Naval Dockyards with the HMS Victory (still commissioned...), the Mary Rose and all the other interesting sight to see is awesome. Plan at least one full day for the visit.

Lt. William Bush
    "Jeder Krieg, auch der siegreiche, ist ein Unglück für das eigene Volk, denn kein Landerwerb, keine Milliarden können Menschenleben ersetzen und die Trauer der Familien aufwiegen."
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.