Thread: Flagship rule

Ordinary Seaman
    Norway

Log Entries
    Name
    Stian

Default Flagship rule

I would like a flagship rule that also gives some positive effect, not just negative ones. Has anyone played around with that?

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

As flagships go, would this be for admiral's flagships, or would it apply to commodores as well?

Put another way, just the large rates, or any size vessel leading a squadron?

Ordinary Seaman
    Norway

Log Entries
    Name
    Stian

I would suspect this would be any Commodore? I can't remember the rules say anything about the size of the ship?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I would think that tha charisma of the commanding officer would reflect in the morale of the captains and crew serving under him. Ability cards should cover that.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Ordinary Seaman
    Norway

Log Entries
    Name
    Stian

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    I would think that tha charisma of the commanding officer would reflect in the morale of the captains and crew serving under him. Ability cards should cover that.

Rob.
    Makes sense. So perhaps a free ability card for the Commodore would make sense as a house rule?

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

The free ability card makes sense to me. My impression is that historically there was a wide range of skills among nautical leaders, from the negatves to the positives.

Maybe have a die roll or a random draw to determine if a flagship has a bonus skill?

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

I just read the rulebook's optional Flagship rule. That's a rough one. It seems like it really would encourage the flagship to hang back.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Another option is kind of like the Wings Ace skills system... each level of "multiple ship" command gets you one choice of Ability. So a squadron commodore gets one Ability, a fleet admiral above multiple squadrons gets two.

Could combine that with an RPG system of Merits and Flaws, where for each given value of Negative abilities you take you may apply that value to either drawing extra Positive abilities, or more/better ships or crew. Something like, say...
    Extreme Aggressor: If this ship is within range of an enemy ship at the beginning of the round, your first action MUST be to attack it
    Which could then be used to pay for upgrades that improve your attack abilities if you're setting up a Glass Cannon build.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Ordinary Seaman
    Norway

Log Entries
    Name
    Stian

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    I just read the rulebook's optional Flagship rule. That's a rough one. It seems like it really would encourage the flagship to hang back.
    Hang back...and do nothing. As long as this rule only imposes negative effects, I don't really see the fun in it (combined with the incentive to hang back). I think it needs some tempting benefit to work well.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by James Wilmore View Post
    Hang back...and do nothing. As long as this rule only imposes negative effects, I don't really see the fun in it (combined with the incentive to hang back). I think it needs some tempting benefit to work well.
    In the British Royal Navy, hanging back with your flagship was a great way to get your neck stretched "pour encourager les autres"--just ask Admiral Byng.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.