Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Default Stats.

Shipmates.
    This month we have already had more posts than in the whole of last month.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Ordinary Seaman
    Norway

Log Entries
    Name
    Stian

Lovely :-)

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

A hopeful sign...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

A lot I believe due to the exposure at the games expo.
    In the three days I demoed the game we had more players asking and playing the game, the same as last year also, than we get when doing the same at all the yearly wargame shows put together.
    So there is plenty of interest out there just not it seems for the wargames fraternity

Ordinary Seaman
    Norway

Log Entries
    Name
    Stian

I think you are correct, esteemed Captain. Sails of Glory is a magnificent game when demoed. I think every opportunity should be taken to show it off and involve new potential players. I am living proof myself. The combination of the smooth flow of the game (no downtime, for instance) and the beautiful readily painted models was what sold me. And this is an experience.

Is there a recruitment "programme" that monitors conventions and the like? Perhaps there should be a scheme to somehow reward experienced players for running demo games at conventions and their local gaming store? I for one, would love to be a part of such a "demo force", at some point when I have acquired sufficient experience.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

True Captain Duff.
    Most of our new shipmates have mentioned you favourably in their applications for membership, even if one did refer to you as an old pirate!
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by James Wilmore View Post
    I think you are correct, esteemed Captain. Sails of Glory is a magnificent game when demoed. I think every opportunity should be taken to show it off and involve new potential players. I am living proof myself. The combination of the smooth flow of the game (no downtime, for instance) and the beautiful readily painted models was what sold me. And this is an experience.

Is there a recruitment "programme" that monitors conventions and the like? Perhaps there should be a scheme to somehow reward experienced players for running demo games at conventions and their local gaming store? I for one, would love to be a part of such a "demo force", at some point when I have acquired sufficient experience.
    We tried to pitch that to Ares soon after launch. No bites, even on my quick-and-cheap idea of new ship-logs as participation prizes. :(

Between their consistent inability to meet delivery schedules (which put a friend of mine out of business!) and being perceived as "taking food off shopowners' tables" via D2C and KS sales, Ares is not exactly beloved in the Brick & Mortar Game Store community.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Hi Stian.
    Within the Anchorage itself, you will find medals for taking part in several of the conventions. There is a generic one for European conventions, one for Prague weekend, one for Doncaster, and one for Origins in the USA. Australia has several, as do others. There are, however, rules set by Keith as to what constitutes a Major Con and what a Minor one. Also that to represent the game properly at least three members must take part. A greeter who handles the questions, the Game Master, and a gofer, who can fill in, take over to give the other shipmates a break on a rota style basis, and help out with the explaining of the rules as play goes on. This is all because experience has taught us that a club can soon get a bad name if things are not run smoothly at a con, and word soon gets around amongst the other con organisers. Do a bad show and you soon find that you stop getting invites to the prestigious shows at the very least.

Rob.