Thread: How many ships can use the damage counters in the starter set?

Ordinary Seaman
    Norway

Log Entries
    Name
    Stian

Default How many ships can use the damage counters in the starter set?

I was wondering how many ships can reasonably be played with, using only the damage chits from the starter set? 8? 16?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

There are many ways around this problem Stian, but I would get used to handling a few ships before taking on a larger Fleet action. When I get time I will give you a few pointers. Meanwhile browse the Campaign part of the forum. You may well pick up a few ideas there.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Ordinary Seaman
    Norway

Log Entries
    Name
    Stian

Thank you, Sir. Willdo!

Ordinary Seaman
    Norway

Log Entries
    Name
    Stian

Oh my! What a wealth of fun the Campaign section seems to be! I can't wait to begin playing them all!

I sincerely hope that this section will be kept in a potential transition to new forums in the future, this is gold!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Also once you have completed five from the year of their inception you can claim a medal.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by James Wilmore View Post
    I was wondering how many ships can reasonably be played with, using only the damage chits from the starter set? 8? 16?

Hi Stian, To solve the problem of running out of chits you can modify your ship mats by adding a few boxes and covering the whole with sticky backed plastic. Use a white board marker pen to record damage, and whipe it off at the end of the game. Saves time returning loads of chits to the bags at the end of the game and ensures that all players have the same chances of drawing a similar chit throughout the game. Also protects your ship mats edges to some extent.
    Below is an example of the mat I printed off.
    Rob.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here are some of the mats in use at our Doncaster show last year.

Ordinary Seaman
    Norway

Log Entries
    Name
    Stian

Thank you kindly for those good tips :-)

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I found that the starter set chits were ok for around 6 ships, any more and you started to run out, which is why as did Bligh, I turned to laminating the ship log and use a white board marker for damage and put the chits back in. I now have three sets in my bags as I was lucky to pick up some extra sets before they became rocking horse dung.
    For display and teaching though I still use the official way of keeping the chits displayed.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Nominally, if memory serves Ares designed the counter set for four ships. My personal preference, given budget, would be each ship has its own bag of chits where the controlling player draws his own damage... simply because of the screaming nightmare cleanup was getting a dozen WGF damage decks reassembled and put back together for their owners after a big convention event. Less people handling each deck, and less movement of the components, means less potential for component loss or scrambling.

I wanna say the last time I did a large-sale ship action at a con (which was A&A War At Sea), I made up disposable paper sheets with all the cards for each player's fleet to mark up used 1x/game abilities, damage etc.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Very similar to our set up DB.
    Here is one of ours in place for use at Partizan. As you say it saves on a lot of chit sorting. I am thinking of covering the lower part of the mat as well to save on having to use any chits at all.

Rob.

Ordinary Seaman
    Norway

Log Entries
    Name
    Stian

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Also once you have completed five from the year of their inception you can claim a medal.

Rob.
    Interesting. How does that work? Do you at the Navy Board approve AARs? How wuold it work with the campaigns from 2014, since there are only three of them?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good morning Captain.

Ignore 2014 because that was only really a trial run, but when you have completed and posted the AARs from 2015, just apply for your medal in the normal way by clicking on Medals on the banner bar at the top of the page and requesting the medal by scrolling down the list until you come to the one you wish to make. As long as you have completed your log book legibly the Admiralty usually have no trouble in granting you the award.

Wm Bligh. Secretary to the Navy Board.
    Last edited by Bligh; 06-16-2024 at 03:05.

Ordinary Seaman
    Norway

Log Entries
    Name
    Stian

Ah, too bad. I just begun the July 2014 one, and I find it entertaining as a starting point :-)

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

No worries Stian, if you post it in the ordinary section of AArs, I can credit it to you towards that medal instead.
    Rob.