Thread: Further development of the Sails of Glory line

Ordinary Seaman
    Norway

Log Entries
    Name
    Stian

Default Further development of the Sails of Glory line

I had another contact with Ares Games, and I asked them three questions:

• Are there any news with regards to the Pirate line for Sails of Glory?
    • Are there plans to expand the American navy with more ships?
    • Are there any Dutch ships (or other nations) planned?

Their response was that these were all good questions, and that when they are done with the struggle of getting the new factory's production where they want it to be quality-wise, then they can seriously start planning the future of that line.

Personally, I read this positively, as clear signs that they want to continue and develop the line further once important hurdles are out of the way

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    danny

good to know

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Stian, I work with Ares as one of the research team (Wave 4 started as one of my "personal projects" on this very site), and I can tell you that those hurdles are the killer--there are some very BIG ones like cash flow. Anything for SGN beyond Starter reprints is so far over the horizon they're not even providing me with targeting information to begin research, nor have they requested any for the Pirates/Small Ship line.

The main problem with the US Navy is finding ways to make the preferred "4+2" or even "6+0" ships fit onto a single sculpt. To get even Bonhomme Richard we had to do the back side as a "What If," and the only way we get Humphreys Superfrigates up to even FIVE is if we add the "just missed War of 1812" USS Guerriere and USS Java, still leaving HMS President with a missing card-back. USS Enterprise is taking even more creativity, to do her we'd have to take her Mediterranean overwinter rebuild hull (to get above the 28mm minimum hull-sculpt length, and even that just BARELY!) and I've proposed tooling the hull with mast sockets for both schooner and brig rigs.

For Napoleonic the main directives of the line are:
    1. Complete the Trafalgar order-of-battle
    2. Fill out the USN to make it a playable fleet, and Revolution and 1812 scenarios
    3. Fill out major omissions from British/French/Spanish

The mis-scale issues are regrettably here to stay. For my own activities I'm keeping the Ares minis as "archival copies" and applying their decoes and game stats to 3d-prints from Simon Mann and Henry Turner.
    Last edited by Diamondback; 06-13-2024 at 16:31.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post

The mis-scale issues are regrettably here to stay. For my own activities I'm keeping the Ares minis as "archival copies" and applying their decoes and game stats to 3d-prints from Simon Mann and Henry Turner.

I also do this to fill the gaps. I just printed several merchantmen and East India Co. ships from Henry Turner. I think Henry is offering some of his sculpts pre-printed as well. There are also a number of printing services so you can send the files and have them scaled to 1/1000. They are available on My Mini Factory and Wargaming3d.

https://www.wargaming3d.com/vendor/henryturner/