Thread: Free Online Napoleonic Era Books

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Default Free Online Napoleonic Era Books

The following link is to the Gutenberg Project, a site dedicated to making books available online for free. This link specifically takes you to the Napoleonic section:
    http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Napoleonic%28Bookshelf%29

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Travis

very cool thank you very much

2nd Lieutenant
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Ulrich

Interesting, thank you

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Project Gutenberg is a truly wonderful resource. I've used it a lot when working on my medieval naval and Sudan colonial rules.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Cool

Wonderful resource Eric thank you for posting this invaluable link.

Nice find.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Charles

Here's an important one they missed on Gutenberg...

http://archive.org/details/treatiseonscurvy00lind

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote View Post

Wow. Only on an AoS gaming website.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote View Post

Charles, that is THE article on the use of citrus based fruits etc to combat scurvy. For years Lind was ridiculed and laughed at for his ideas but eventually science won out and even the old school Admiralty had to give in. I seem to recall Captian Cook only ever flogged a man for refusing to drink his ration of lime juice (might be apocryphal) so seriously did he take the need for prevention of scurvy, but he was ahead of his time.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by Berthier View Post
    Charles, that is THE article on the use of citrus based fruits etc to combat scurvy. For years Lind was ridiculed and laughed at for his ideas but eventually science won out and even the old school Admiralty had to give in. I seem to recall Captian Cook only ever flogged a man for refusing to drink his ration of lime juice (might be apocryphal) so seriously did he take the need for prevention of scurvy, but he was ahead of his time.
    Hi Daniel,
    I think youi will find that John Woodal's "The Surgeons Mate" 1617 talks of the benefits of citrus juice. The book was first used for Surgeons on board Eastindian Company ships.
    Be safe
    Rory
    Last edited by Devsdoc; 04-23-2013 at 22:32.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Japheth

I love the Gb Project. Thanks for linking that section as it didn't occur to me. On a tangental note, for other free books (not Napoleonic though) Baen offers many free books (that they publish and charge for) as a way to 'hook' you on a series. It worked on me, but it still saved me the price of the first 3 books in the series. Here you go.

http://www.baen.com/library/

The choice of formats is the best. Can read in browser or dl to eReader etc.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

That looks like a useful resource. Thank you for posting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Devsdoc View Post
    Hi Daniel,
    I think youi will find that John Woodal's "The Surgeons Mate" 1617 talks of the benefits of citrus juice. The book was first used for Surgeons on board Eastindian Company ships.
    Be safe
    Rory

Rory
    You are correct but the later work was a more rigorous and widely distributed account of the whole citrus issue and caused considerable controversy at the time if memory serves correct. I didnt mean to imply he was the first to suggest the benefits of citrus rather that his work was the tipping point.
    Cheers

from wiki

Since antiquity in various parts of the world, and since the 17th century in England, it had been known that citrus fruit had an antiscorbutic effect, when John Woodall (1570–1643), an English military surgeon of the British East India Company recommended them[6] but their use did not become widespread. Although Lind was not the first to suggest citrus fruit as a cure for scurvy, he was the first to study their effect by a systematic experiment in 1747.[7] It ranks as one of the first clinical experiments in the history of medicine.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Rory
    You are correct but the later work was a more rigorous and widely distributed account of the whole citrus issue and caused considerable controversy at the time if memory serves correct. I didnt mean to imply he was the first to suggest the benefits of citrus rather that his work was the tipping point.
    Cheers
    from wiki

Since antiquity in various parts of the world, and since the 17th century in England, it had been known that citrus fruit had an antiscorbutic effect, when John Woodall (1570–1643), an English military surgeon of the British East India Company recommended them[6] but their use did not become widespread. Although Lind was not the first to suggest citrus fruit as a cure for scurvy, he was the first to study their effect by a systematic experiment in 1747.[7] It ranks as one of the first clinical experiments in the history of medicine.
    Hi Daniel,
    I would not be-little the work of Lind. Just said he was not the first. Sorry! if I hurt anyones feelings
    Be safe
    Rory

Hey Rory,

No offense taken or given, I'm a fan of "scientific method" thus my admiration for Lind.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Attached Images Attached Images