Thread: Reasonably priced era uniforms?

Default Reasonably priced era uniforms?

Anybody know of a source to get a reasonably priced Captain's uniform tunic for the age of sail? I know the officer's military uniforms of the era tended to be a little more complicated than current style uniforms, so I'd consider $100-$150 not bad, but not be surprised if they were twice that for a good one.

Midshipman
    Netherlands

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Depends on the level of accuracy you require from the jacket, the nation the captain serves and his level of 'seniority' I guess.

I've seen re-enactment grade jackets cost between 300-600 pounds depending if it's a post captain or not. I've seen museum quality stuff @ $1450 (2 weeks work all hand made wool $100 per metre). If you only want to wear it for gaming, then it may be worth while looking at costume hire companies.

Cheers
    Chris

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Travis

that would be interesting everybody at the games wearing the period attaire for the rank they are on the anchorage

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by BonhommeRichard View Post
    that would be interesting everybody at the games wearing the period attaire for the rank they are on the anchorage
    There was a chap on the UK wargames circuit a few years back who ran parti games whilst wearing period costume. Quite eye catching!

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Blozinski View Post
    Anybody know of a source to get a reasonably priced Captain's uniform tunic for the age of sail? I know the officer's military uniforms of the era tended to be a little more complicated than current style uniforms, so I'd consider $100-$150 not bad, but not be surprised if they were twice that for a good one.
    Which Navy?

http://dresslikeapirate.com/scart/ -- one might be able to put something together starting from here.

Midshipman
    Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Karl

I helped a friend run a AWI game once in my Jaeger Uniform:
    Karl

Midshipman
    Netherlands

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I've done WW2 gaming in a German uniform and only once a Napoleonic game in a Fusilier uniform. Too be honest, the Napoleonic game was THE most uncomfortable game I'd ever played. The style of the uniform - tight sleeves, high collar buttoned up, cross belts with equipment hanging off them and a bloody shako - meant you had to be extremely careful when moving the figures. We could hardly reach the middle of the table. And one guy leant over a bit too far and his shako fell off onto a grand battery.

So, thinking more about this, I'd say if you go down this route choose something more in the props line. Something good enough for TV/Film not for reenactment. It just has to look the part, a bit like the models. It doesn't have to be the part.

Cheers
    Chris

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Gull View Post
    I've done WW2 gaming in a German uniform and only once a Napoleonic game in a Fusilier uniform.
    Please tell me you don't play a sumo wrestling game.

Midshipman
    Netherlands

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Please tell me you don't play a sumo wrestling game.
    Not Sumo wrestling, no. Of course there once was that Tarzan game ...

2nd Lieutenant
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Ulrich

That`s better as a spiderman game.
    Spiderman, a man who produce a white and pasty fluid doing some exercise with his wrist......
    we say "ganz großes Kino" great cinema...
    Last edited by Jack Aubrey; 03-26-2013 at 09:21.