Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rorys Harbour and ships

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Default Rorys Harbour and ships

I have been asked to moved my pics to this new thread. It shows my harbour (and some of my Russian ships). Also two pics of my British and French fleets. I hope you all like them!Name:  my ships and harbour 018.JPG
Views: 1195
Size:  3.36 MBName:  my ships and harbour 019.JPG
Views: 1015
Size:  1.96 MBName:  my ships and harbour 026.JPG
Views: 1088
Size:  3.36 MBName:  my ships and harbour 027.JPG
Views: 994
Size:  2.92 MBName:  my ships and harbour 037.JPG
Views: 1043
Size:  3.29 MBName:  my ships and harbour 040.JPG
Views: 987
Size:  3.34 MBName:  my ships and harbour 055.JPG
Views: 1011
Size:  3.38 MB
    Last edited by Devsdoc; 03-22-2013 at 21:09.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

One question - can I come over and play?

Absolutely beautiful work.

Excellent Rory! More, more, show us more!

Inspiring stuff. Need one for myself so my French fleet can sit there doing nothing for year after year.

2nd Lieutenant
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Ulrich

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    One question - can I come over and play?

Absolutely beautiful work.
    Eric, I come with, super !!!

Able Seaman
    England

Log Entries
    Name
    Don

Great looking models.
    Do you ever take them to shows, would like to see them in the flesh.
    Don

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Very nice indeed!

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Charles

Beautiful work.

Excellent job on the ship models and port!

Quote Originally Posted by Horatio View Post
    Great looking models.
    Do you ever take them to shows, would like to see them in the flesh.
    Don
    Don, you and Rory are practically neighbors. Somerset and Dorset are what, 50-60 miles apart? Just a short hour drive. Play on!

Midshipman
    Netherlands

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Magnificent. Picture like these should come with a health warning.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Hi Guys,
    Thank you for your kinds words about my models. I must say that I like my harbour very much, but my ships are not so good (like Vols). If you look closely at my ships they are not so good. Not as sharpely painted (again like Vols) as they could be. LOOK!
    Name:  my ships and harbour 045.JPG
Views: 962
Size:  3.36 MBName:  my ships and harbour 052.JPG
Views: 816
Size:  3.26 MBName:  my ships and harbour 065.JPG
Views: 837
Size:  3.22 MB
    O.K. as you can see they are not so "hot" close to. But as a fleet on the wargame table with a little time and some string they can and do look alright. Look what I'm trying to say is, have a go they may not be the best on their own but as a fleet. Wargamers will love to look at and play with them. I have no photo's of my Russain ship only the ones with the harbour. They are a little better, but that is after the Br & Fr ships. HAVE A GO YOURSELF and see
    Be safe
    Rory

Midshipman
    Netherlands

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Rory, if these are not hot, then mine are somewhere below absolute zero. Which as you can imagine is some achievement.

However, inspired by Vol, Whitejamest, yourself and everyone else who's posted photos of their work here, I've decided to have another go. This is about 25 years after my previous attempt finished with my taking a hammer to the metal. If everything goes according to plan (as if that's going to happen) then it should be ready by the end of the month. The hammer is close at hand though, just in case. You understand how it is. :g&t:

Chris

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I, too, am planning on having a go. What I am very thankful for is folks like yourself and others here to whom we can turn for advice.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    James

This is an awesome setup Rory, you guys are really making me jealous with your fantastic terrain pieces! - James

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Chris, Eric,
    No matter how bad you think YOUR SHIPS are painted. They are YOUR SHIPS, not somebody's else's model that you have paid for. Gamers WILL love/like YOUR SHIPS. I would say start with a 74 3rd rate. they are the biggest class of ship so as you get better your frist ships will be lost in the crowd. Also do your frist ships with closed port lids. Do try standing rigging at lest. It makes the ship look good and stronger. Tip, drill holes for rigging before painting and keep holes open with a pin after each layer of paint. Do not think you need S.O.G. they need you. Sorry! I,M angry. I have just come off the Yahoo Groups. But still have a go.
    Be Safe (May your lines be straight. If not! next time they wil be straigther)
    Rory

Rory your ships are gorgeous. I don't know why you depecate yourself with comparisons with me and James. You are every bit as good as we are. Your ships and terrain puts us to shame. So stop the comparisons please. Just post your work so we can all enjoy it and be inspired by it!

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Lawrence

I think the ships look very good, especially at the 'fleet view' images. I am happy with the miniatures I have painted and think at gaming distances, or even just arm's length, they look very good. I know others paint far better than me but I'm very proud of what I do paint, my progress from model to model, etc. But even my best work, if zoomed in close enough, is flawed. Very few people posses the skill to paint a model of such scale to a level that it holds up that close and those people should be admired for it and even seen as inspiration, but you shouldn't measure yourself against them.

Your harbor is beautiful. I find realistic terrain to be one of the most engaging aspects of miniature gaming and that is a brilliant example.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Thanks Vol,
    I think Lawrence is right. I will stop measureing myself to you and James. Have you seen Charlie's SMALL SHIP? his FIRST SHIP! I'm going to watch that thread. He is going to gave you two a run for your money. Come on Lawrence I've shown you mine! Lets see yours. Please make me feel better. A man like me, not the Gods
    Be safe,
    Rory
    Last edited by Devsdoc; 03-25-2013 at 15:07.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by Devsdoc View Post
    ...Come on Lawrence I've shown you mine! Lets see yours. Please make me feel better. A man like me, not the Gods
    I haven't done any work on mini ships yet. SoG will be my first though I intend to do some custom work on them as I'm a tweaker.

I have a little site called Tactics In Miniature where some of my models are pictured. The LotR stuff is 25mm but the FoW is 15mm. This is basically between 1/105 and 1/110.

Name:  36fb01255dcbfaf1bc0cd1058300be6e.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  16.2 KB

A little more of the "insanity" scale, especially for someone like myself with some vision issues and not the most steady hands. I accept my limitations but still strive for doing the best I can. I will have to see what the SoG ships are like when they arrive. I look forward to opportunities for adding details, weathering, etc. I may start picking up actual models down the road as well, especially if someone starts producing some 1/1200 scale ones.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf03809 View Post
    I have a little site called Tactics In Miniature where some of my models are pictured. The LotR stuff is 25mm but the FoW is 15mm.
    Nice site, pictures, and mini work. LotR and FoW. Now SoG. I think if we're ever in your neck-of-the-woods, we'll need to visit.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Travis

i love your pictures and i think you have helped me decide to go ahead and try my hand at rigging

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Lawrence,
    Love the work. I think you could and will add to the models you get, and say s#d it and buy ships outside S.O.G. You can go off people you know!
    Be safe
    Rory
    Travis,
    I use thread that you buy from a haberdashery (Big word for Little things). I use Langtons book "Guide to Painting and rigging 1/1200 Napoleonic Ships". One of the most helpful books I have. I think it would also work on the 1/1100 models too. Tip:- Do not use cotton thread.
    Be safe
    Rory
    Last edited by Devsdoc; 03-26-2013 at 17:50.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

I have just been to my modeling box and seen my 1st rate Russian ship waiting to be finished. I only have to do the running rigging and base her. You lot are bad for me and stop me doing my shipsSo I maybe off line for a evening or two. Some of you my go . but I must get on with her
    Be safe
    Rory

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I use thread that you buy from a haberdashery (Big word for Little things). I use Langtons book "Guide to Painting and rigging 1/1200 Napoleonic Ships". One of the most helpful books I have. I think it would also work on the 1/1100 models too. Tip:- Do not use cotton thread.
    Thanks for the pointers.

I have just been to my modeling box and seen my 1st rate Russian ship waiting to be finished. I only have to do the running rigging and base her. You lot are bad for me and stop me doing my shipsSo I maybe off line for a evening or two. Some of you my go . but I must get on with her
    Be safe
    Rory
    Can't wait to see her.

Midshipman
    Netherlands

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Photos please once she's finished, Rory.

Great work, Rory.

I really like the half sunk ship models.

...and I'm happy that the SoG ships are prepainted.

Quote Originally Posted by Berthier View Post
    Inspiring stuff. Need one for myself so my French fleet can sit there doing nothing for year after year.
    Yeah Daniel, make a reservation at the pier for my French first rate, too.

Midshipman
    Netherlands

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I'm sure we can come up with a scenario loosely based on Hornblower's taking of The Witch of Endor and the subsequent sea chase.

I started with cotton thread (mistake). Then went to horse hair (better but very brittle and stiff). Then I tried thin, coated bead wire (.010 & .008 Firewire brand. Very good but only comes in smoke and grey). Then I tried monofilament fishing line 3lb test. (this is great but you have to paint it after rigging, very tedious.) Now I have landed back on thread and wax it before applying, like the larger wooden ship modelers. This is working the best for me.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

>I use Langtons book "Guide to Painting and rigging 1/1200 Napoleonic Ships". One of the most helpful books I have.
    More on Rod's excellent book here. Well worth the cost of a model ship, IMHO. Since Rod's models are in many ways the inspiration for the SOG models through the styling used it would be nice if he picked up a bit of business from this :)

http://rodlangton.com/index-2.html
    http://rodlangton.com/napoleonic/booklet.htm

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    More on Rod's excellent book here. Well worth the cost of a model ship, IMHO. Since Rod's models are in many ways the inspiration for the SOG models through the styling used it would be nice if he picked up a bit of business from this :)
    Thanks for the link and confirmation on the book. Will order it with my first order of models.

Midshipman
    Netherlands

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I'll order the book, or see if I can pick it up at Triples. I'll also get some of the buildings. Having seen Rory's harbour I fancy having something to shoot at that doesn't move. Plus you don't have to worry about rigging the things.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Gull View Post
    Plus you don't have to worry about rigging the things.
    Unless with explosives.

That would make for an interesting scenario for a shore party.

Midshipman
    Netherlands

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

A sort of Napoleonic version of The Guns of Navaronne.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Hi All,
    Finished "Gavriil" 100 gun 1st rate Russian ship (Langtons). He does not know it, but I love him. Thank you David for putting on the on-line stuff about him. In my eyes he's the man. I must steal my sister's camera again so I can take some photo's of my Russian fleet (so far).I have one more Russian 32 gun frigate to make, than I must buy some more ships.
    Eric, Chris the book is a real help and I think would work on most models (incuding S.O.G. models if you drill some holes first). I do not know, but would Langtons rat lines work on S.O.G. ships? I must always cut the rat lines shorter to fit them on Langtons ships?.
    Chris plan your harbour/town before you buy. The size of each piece is written on the list. For folks who wish to do a town, in Europe streets/roads are very much narrower than in the "new world". I used a steel plate for the sea in the harbour and stuck the parts for the harbour on the steel plate.
    Name:  my ships and harbour 014.JPG
Views: 838
Size:  1.81 MB
    The town is stuck onto hard board, Which is about the same thickness as the steel plate and dockside floor/ground.
    Name:  my ships and harbour 009.JPG
Views: 697
Size:  3.34 MB
    The two parts marry together O.K.
    Name:  my ships and harbour 023.JPG
Views: 766
Size:  1.81 MB
    To finish to model off I used very hard foam blocks stuck onto hard board and modeled.
    Name:  my ships and harbour 003.JPG
Views: 762
Size:  3.28 MB
    All the models are Langtons, His "City Harbour Set" RB23 with added Docksides RB17, Harbour Wall, RB19, to make one arm longer, Harbour walls RB20 (and gate way M35) for internal walls, Slipway & Dry Dock Set RB25, Lighthouse M36x2, and lots of Dock and Town buildings. I used the older Keep model to give the harbour (Its been around a long time) look. Hope this all helps a little
    Be safe
    Rory

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Great stuff Rory.

How heavy are the different parts?

Midshipman
    Netherlands

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Excellent stuff Rory. Unfortunately my main M.O. seems to be "Ooh, shiny. Two please." Ended up with some very strange combinations doing that, but at the time I was happy.

I obviously should decide at the beginning where the town/harbour is going to be located, Northern/Westeern Euorpe? the Med? North Africa? South America? Or do I try and make it a sort of generic place that in a push will do for anywhere, but would limit the style of buildings. Decisions, decisions. Especially not having had the opportunity to see them in the flesh, so to speak. Hopefully they'l lbe someone at Triples with them.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Travis

excellent i am learning so much as a new modeler from all of you guys thank you very much

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Great stuff Rory.

Eric,
    For its size the town is the heaviest. It has both metal and resin buildings, you could make it lighter just useing resin models. But that would limit the type of buildings you can use. Also as it is on the edge of the board the weight keeps it safer and lessens the chance of it moving (off the board). The steel plate is heavy, but not for it's size. I could have made it in 3 pieces:- harbour and the 2 harbour arms. But I think it looks better as one pieces. The shore line is so light I wish it was a bit heavier. Hope this helps.
    Be safe
    Rory
    Last edited by Devsdoc; 03-29-2013 at 15:31.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Gull View Post
    Excellent stuff Rory. Unfortunately my main M.O. seems to be "Ooh, shiny. Two please." Ended up with some very strange combinations doing that, but at the time I was happy.

I obviously should decide at the beginning where the town/harbour is going to be located, Northern/Westeern Euorpe? the Med? North Africa? South America? Or do I try and make it a sort of generic place that in a push will do for anywhere, but would limit the style of buildings. Decisions, decisions. Especially not having had the opportunity to see them in the flesh, so to speak. Hopefully they'l lbe someone at Triples with them.
    Sorry Chris
    But my I.T. skills will not let me answer 2 posting as one. First things first Discipline dear boy discipline! . Langtons buildings are classed as "Generic" but where made for a 8ft x 4ft diorama of Toulon, France 1793, built in 1993. The diorama was not sold or given away. I was lucky to see a photo of it. Rod Langton told me last year that only one or two small pieces are left, it took up to much room he said . but it left us with the molds for us to use for the "Sons of Toulon". Rod does make some named buildings (See Davids post on this thread #30). I would make it "generic" it will be more useful to you.
    Be safe
    Rory

P.S.
    Thanks Travis I have not stopped learning too

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

But my I.T. skills will not let me answer 2 posting as one.
    Rory, I am not sure if this is what you're referring to, but if you click the far right button under different posts (quotation marks with a plus sign), and the last post you want to include with the "Reply with Quote", all of them will show up. You can then type your answers accordingly. If I totally missed the mark (or should I say boat), please ignore me.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Rory, I am not sure if this is what you're referring to, but if you click the far right button under different posts (quotation marks with a plus sign), and the last post you want to include with the "Reply with Quote", all of them will show up. You can then type your answers accordingly. If I totally missed the mark (or should I say boat), please ignore me.
    Great stuff Rory.

Eric,
    No no! you have no idea how bad I'm at with all this I.T. stuff. You and members have helped me so much. You can only thank you. Two weeks ago I had only a little idea of how to download a photo into this site. Now I can and do 2 plus Qutes now (If I can Find "Q" in under 1/2 hour). A big Thank you
    Be safe
    Rory

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Eric,
    No no! you have no idea how bad I'm at with all this I.T. stuff. You and members have helped me so much. You can only thank you. Two weeks ago I had only a little idea of how to download a photo into this site. Now I can and do 2 plus Qutes now (If I can Find "Q" in under 1/2 hour). A big Thank you
    Be safe
    Rory
    Rory, I think I have a very good idea. The first time I brought my laptop to class, my students started laughing. I'm somewhere around 1970s technology, and music for that matter. Now, where are those punch cards?

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Rory, I think I have a very good idea. The first time I brought my laptop to class, my students started laughing. I'm somewhere around 1970s technology, and music for that matter. Now, where are those punch cards?
    Eric,
    Given me quill and ink. I can make both.
    Be safe
    Rory

I can remember punch cards and Fortran and Basic and C and Pascal too...gods that makes me feel old! And no I'm not in the computer industry, lasted a year of Comp Sci and thought the technology of punch cards was too limiting so dropped it...well you have to have a few mistakes in life.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Now, where are those punch cards?
    SWMBO and I once spent a very enjoyable week making a 15mm model coaching inn** using the little rectangles from punched cards as bricks stuck on the card wall of the building. Happy days, to think those days of punched card bricking are gone forever :)

**now one of the centrepieces of my 15mm ECW terrain collection

SWMBO and I once spent a very enjoyable week making a 15mm model coaching inn** using the little rectangles from punched cards as bricks stuck on the card wall of the building. Happy days, to think those days of punched card bricking are gone forever :)
    The ultimate recycling effort. Bravo!

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

The ultimate recycling effort. Bravo!
    After that Wifey realised what a monster we'd unleashed, as I'd look at all sorts of packaging and other bits of rubbish with a view as to what they could be used for. For example, expanded polystyrene and plastic fruit and meat packaging can make great roof tiles, plastic packaging bands can be cut into strips to make industrial walkways, aerosol can tops became oil storage tanks for my AK-47 terrain (with offcuts from some home plumbing projects forming the pipelines) and I made a whole fleet of starships for "Full Thrust" out of bits and pieces (plastic spoons make excellent starship bridges and hulls!). Then there was the 15mm shuttle for my SF collection made from a deodorant stick.....

Once you get into the idea of recycling materials for modelling you enver look at apiece of rubbish the same way. You'll always be thinking "what can I turn that into?" :)

I have drawers of junk just for that purpose David. My wife keeps threatening to throw it all away and I tell her that would be grounds for divorce........then she plays the "Man Song" for me again.....Damn!

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I can remember punch cards and Fortran and Basic and C and Pascal too...gods that makes me feel old! And no I'm not in the computer industry, lasted a year of Comp Sci and thought the technology of punch cards was too limiting so dropped it...well you have to have a few mistakes in life.
    Had the same experience with video games. We were outside playing - yes, outside playing - when one of the guys' parents bought him Pong. We went inside to play it, and after 10 minutes or so, we went back outside thinking, "Who would ever want to play video games?"

**now one of the centrepieces of my 15mm ECW terrain collection
    Awesome. Is there any chance of a picture lying around somewhere?

After that Wifey realised what a monster we'd unleashed, as I'd look at all sorts of packaging and other bits of rubbish with a view as to what they could be used for. For example, expanded polystyrene and plastic fruit and meat packaging can make great roof tiles, plastic packaging bands can be cut into strips to make industrial walkways, aerosol can tops became oil storage tanks for my AK-47 terrain (with offcuts from some home plumbing projects forming the pipelines) and I made a whole fleet of starships for "Full Thrust" out of bits and pieces (plastic spoons make excellent starship bridges and hulls!). Then there was the 15mm shuttle for my SF collection made from a deodorant stick.....

Once you get into the idea of recycling materials for modelling you enver look at apiece of rubbish the same way. You'll always be thinking "what can I turn that into?" :)
    Exact opposite problem here. A couple buddies and I rewired our house, and my wife saw all this copper wire lying around. She started to make jewelry out of it. Now she collects everything, everything, everything. I have to admit, though, her stuff is beautiful and she now has a small business.

Fellows, fortunately we were raised in an era when we were told to use our imagination.