Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What accessories do you desire in an Anchorage store?

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by BonhommeRichard View Post
    well the aerodrome has cockpits what about quarterdecks for the cards and such
    I'll second on the quarterdeck idea. Aerodrome has that prop-shaped combat ruler. How about the same in a telescope version for SoG? It could still taper down to the eye piece, as long as the objective lens end is wide enough for close quarters action. A ships log may also be nice for some interested in creating after action reports.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Cory

Keith,

Not sure where to ask this. Would Ares ever consider releaseing PnP 6 sided mock ups of 2-4 ships for play until release? I followed Catalyst Games Leviathans for a long time and they used to release their scale models as exploded 6 sided figures with the blueprints on the faces of the prism for play and to test rules. We're in for a long wait and since this is my first and maybe only venture into AoS I don't want to invest in ships and another rules system, but would definately like to get a start on SoG.

This is what I'm refering to with regards to the mock up.
    Name:  BritishPrintableFleet 5.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  46.9 KB

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Before any of us saw the game, we were thinking of a combat ruler shaped like a cannon. Seeing the rules and playing the game has lead me to think that might not work out so well. The telescope idea might since it is more rectangular in shape.

CHolgren,

I don't see Ares doing that. Their releases are much quicker than that it took Catalyst come out with the Leviathans game (I was following it as well and play it from time to time).

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Has there been any mention of some kind of device to mark 'ownership' of your minis while being used on the playing field? I doubt this is ever going to be an issue in small fleet actions, or if folks do repaints, etc. But if you have major fleet action, or perhaps even lend you ships out to someone for play purposes, you might like to know where your minis are? And besides it's fun to personalize your minis in some way.

Nice to see folks still remember/play Leviathans on occasion. I enjoy the steampunk universe that Catalyst has created and wish more was happening to support the game and community.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Telescope ruler might risk copyright--Gale Force Nine made a spyglass ruler for WK Pirates, so it might take some creativity. Maybe a collapsible version?

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Having seen Devdoc's 'After Action Reports', burning ship markers look useful. They could also be used in 'fireship' scenarios.

Ships boats could be used in 'cutting out expedition' scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Ship boats would be nice. Used for moving ships in a calm or used for lowering boats from a SOL.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Cory

Having seen Devdoc's 'After Action Reports', burning ship markers look useful. They could also be used in 'fireship' scenarios.

Could you add flames on top of a ship footprint? Gives both a hazard and a more specific area of the hazard.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Hi David,
    Langton make ships boats being rowed. They come in sets of 5 with 1) a Shore Battery. 2) a Signal Station. 3) a Martello Tower. The Flames are made by "Gale Force nine".
    Be safe
    Rory

I think David was talking about SoGN 1/1000 scale.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    I think David was talking about SoGN 1/1000 scale.
    Hi Ed,
    Until Ares make them, Langtons are here to be used. For ship-boats I do not think 1-1200 or 1-1100 will seem out of place.
    Be safe
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by Devsdoc View Post
    Hi Ed,
    Until Ares make them, Langtons are here to be used. For ship-boats I do not think 1-1200 or 1-1100 will seem out of place.
    Be safe
    Rory
    Right you are Rory. I just looked at an old pack of Langtons MX11 Open Boats (pack of 8 mixed), and the larger ones could easily be used for the SoGN scale.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mario

In WoG, when a plane blows up, crashes, etc, it is generally out of play because of it physically leaving the play area, due to above all, gravity. What about some sort of wreak marker/model that would still be affected by wind, or effects others by stealing wind (a house rule I'm mulling over instating: blocked ships will have movement reduced by one sail speed). These makers can come in the sizes of the vessels respectively, as one frigate, a different one to represent ship of the line. If this has already been suggested, I whole heartily support it!

Quote Originally Posted by QfunK! View Post
    In WoG, when a plane blows up, crashes, etc, it is generally out of play because of it physically leaving the play area, due to above all, gravity. What about some sort of wreak marker/model that would still be affected by wind, or effects others by stealing wind (a house rule I'm mulling over instating: blocked ships will have movement reduced by one sail speed). These makers can come in the sizes of the vessels respectively, as one frigate, a different one to represent ship of the line. If this has already been suggested, I whole heartily support it!
    Oh yes, this has already been suggested. Wrecked ships are the most useful mini. They are guaranteed to see action every time.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Blozinski View Post
    Wrecked ships are the most useful mini.
    So my attempts at modeling this summer will be worth it after all.

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Ha,Ha,Ha.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

No! Eric the only wreck will be me. As I help you though this your 1st ship. So go for it and NO WRECKS
    Be safe
    Rory

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

No! Eric the only wreck will be me. As I help you though this your 1st ship. So go for it and NO WRECKS
    Be safe
    Rory
    So you already anticipate helping me will sink you. You have foresight my Friend.

Looking forward to sharing the experience with you.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

So you already anticipate helping me will sink you. You have foresight my Friend.

Looking forward to sharing the experience with you.
    Eric,
    being ship models. I stand in the water with you on my shoulders. So you can see farther and do better than me. So stop jumping up and down and pushing me under the water and just get on with it.
    Be safe
    Rory

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Eric,
    being ship models. I stand in the water with you on my shoulders. So you can see farther and do better than me. So stop jumping up and down and pushing me under the water and just get on with it.
    Be safe
    Rory
    Hi Rory,

I now see what you meant by our posts looking like a conversation between us.

My semester wraps up by mid-week, and after that, I will start ordering AoS mini supplies. I will start with Langton's USS Constitution (not at quarters), pick up the Langton book that has been recommended, paints, and any necessary tools. Before I place the order, I will list what is in the cart, seeking advice as to its sufficiency.

Cheers,
    Eric

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Hi Rory,

My semester wraps up by mid-week, and after that, I will start ordering AoS mini supplies. I will start with Langton's USS Constitution (not at quarters), pick up the Langton book that has been recommended, paints, and any necessary tools. Before I place the order, I will list what is in the cart, seeking advice as to its sufficiency.

Cheers,
    Eric
    Like Rory says, we'll be watching and waiting for progress reports.

An idea for a possible useful accessory:
    A card sorting tray. There are going to be a lot of cards to sift through to plot your one card move. If all the port turns and all the starboard turns and all the straights are separated, that speeds things up a bit in the search for the right card. I'm guessing it's actually more complicated than just those three options, but that was just an example.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Hi Rory,

Cheers,
    Eric

Be safe
    Rory

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mario

An idea for a possible useful accessory:
    A card sorting tray. There are going to be a lot of cards to sift through to plot your one card move. If all the port turns and all the starboard turns and all the straights are separated, that speeds things up a bit in the search for the right card. I'm guessing it's actually more complicated than just those three options, but that was just an example.
    I hope this tray comes with a sort of "shield;" as for the ease of piled cards is to yourself, that doubles as an ease of reading to the enemy.

Some sort of weather pieces might be usable. Like a storm template or a even waterspouts models/makers. Most of my ideas seem to fall into the notion of optional rules, but I would like to bring a reality element to the table.
    Last edited by QfunK!; 05-28-2013 at 20:11.

2nd Lieutenant
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Ulrich

A beer mug (schooner) like this:

http://pix.echtlustig.com/1303/bierg...t-bruesten.jpg

äh, with a figurehead of course..

Change the green to pink and I'd replace all of my beer glasses. Might even start drinking milk again.
    Have to love those Germans.

2nd Lieutenant
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Ulrich

If you like a snaps more take this

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/113AqTGJQrL.jpg

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

*stares pointedly* I thought this was supposed to be a "family friendly" site? o.O

lol

Midshipman
    Brazil

Log Entries
    Name
    Carlos

Lots of great ideas !

And I was thinking that just the base game and, maybe, a mat or two would be enough

My wallet is already trembling with fear

And I have to prevent "She, who sees all" from knowing what I doing with my money

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Try bribery, creating a diversion by buying her some new pretty bauble to consume her attention while you do your thing? LOL

Midshipman
    Brazil

Log Entries
    Name
    Carlos

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Try bribery, creating a diversion by buying her some new pretty bauble to consume her attention while you do your thing? LOL
    She doesn't control what I already have

The problem starts when new material arrives. Some times I have them posted to a friends house

Just kidding, really, She doesn't cause problems here (but sometimes I still send new games to my friends house, just to be sure) !
    Last edited by calm; 06-15-2013 at 18:38. Reason: Minor typo

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by calm View Post
    She doesn't control what I already have

The problem starts when new material arrives. Some times I have them posted to a friends house

Just kidding, really, She doesn't cause problems here (but sometimes I still send new games to my friends house, just to be sure) !
    You have to be cautious, They're wily.

Every once in a while someone will post a photo of an excessive amount of minis they own or how much they spend and I conveniently and blatantly point this out to my my wife with a connected comment hinting at a relative comparison of "See hon, I'm not so bad, look at THIS guy".

Midshipman
    Brazil

Log Entries
    Name
    Carlos

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Cmmdre View Post
    You have to be cautious, They're wily.
    Minis are not a problem, they are beatifull "toys", wargames, on the other hand...

Every once in a while someone will post a photo of an excessive amount of minis they own or how much they spend and I conveniently and blatantly point this out to my my wife with a connected comment hinting at a relative comparison of "See hon, I'm not so bad, look at THIS guy".
    Very nice idea, will be used along with "look Hon, if I can't play wargames, then I will go out and drink with the guys". It never fails

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

LOL Andy, back when Axis & Allies War at Sea was in print and I was going to GenCon, I used to BE "THAT Guy". :D

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Oh! Dear,
    You poor, poor, guy's. Try talking about and not hiding your hobby! Jane is my partner not my mother. She likes my ships very much. She did not like Si-Fi so much.
    Be safe
    Rory

2nd Lieutenant
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Ulrich

Oh! Dear,
    You poor, poor, guy's. Try talking about and not hiding your hobby! Jane is my partner not my mother. She likes my ships very much. She did not like Si-Fi so much.
    Be safe
    Rory
    My wife likes the planes (WoG) too, and she will like the ships. And so I must not hide my hobby.
    I`m happy, that I don`t must share her hobbys... like bungee jumping and so....

Midshipman
    Brazil

Log Entries
    Name
    Carlos

Oh! Dear,
    Be safe
    Rory
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Aubrey View Post
    My wife likes the planes (WoG) too, and she will like the ships. And so I must not hide my hobby.
    You both got me wrong I don't hide my hobby, I even have a wife approved man cave to indulge in it. :g&t:

But I do hide the arrival of new, lets say... new itens

Unfortunatelly, my wife doesn't play boardgames, not even euros, so I can't count on her for a boardgame partner

And sometimes she insist on putting buying new furniture ahead of buying new games or accessories
    Last edited by calm; 06-17-2013 at 07:08.

2nd Lieutenant
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Ulrich

Well, that`s not bad if a wife doesn`t play boardgames, so you can play with the right people at the right place.....

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by QfunK! View Post
    I hope this tray comes with a sort of "shield;" as for the ease of piled cards is to yourself, that doubles as an ease of reading to the enemy.

Some sort of weather pieces might be usable. Like a storm template or a even waterspouts models/makers. Most of my ideas seem to fall into the notion of optional rules, but I would like to bring a reality element to the table.
    I think you will find that the ship deck and placing the cards down in front of you will be fine. We played a game a couple of days ago, and everyone is so busy looking at the board, that there is very little need to hide anything from opponents, and there is very little to hide anyway.

My wife gave me some fiber filling for pillows to use as clouds in WoG. I think I will be using the same for fog and storm clouds in SoG. Here's a game in which I used them: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...for-Pink-Floyd

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Aubrey View Post
    Sharing hobbies is great, and sharing can mean supporting and not doing. I've been enjoying learning about Sue's interests. Going the other way, Sue painted her first minis this past week - a samurai on a horse, and a bugbear. She is hooked. I think my mini collections will grow even larger now. She did pretty well at Origins playing Wings of Glory; she can be deadly.

Here's a game in which I used them: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...for-Pink-Floyd
    Great story and pics. Thanks

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    James

Here's my vote for a Quarterdeck -- this is probably the most talked about aspect of accessories for my group.

Cheers!

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Horatio Le Rêve View Post
    Here's my vote for a Quarterdeck -- this is probably the most talked about aspect of accessories for my group.

Cheers!
    Glad to hear it. I've been working on the design, and just today thought of an improvement based on a game I played yesterday. These types of products have to go through many games with them in mind, and then several more with prototypes to ensure we get what we really need. For my Cockpit products, trying to save on table space was a major consideration. With the amount of info and components needed to play SGN, I'm more concerned about proper layout and organization. While I'll keep the smallest foot print as possible that's not one of the main goals. I'll design these so they are easy to move out of the way if a ship sails into the area.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    I just didn't want to be seen as the, "Thread Pirate Roberts" and get too far off topic.

2nd Lieutenant
    Serbia

Log Entries
    Name
    Heмaњa

D30s for each counter set as an option for damage allocation?

Separate counter sets (if not maneuver decks)?

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

You can already buy extra counter sets. Maneuver decks will never be sold with out the ship mini.
    I just didn't want to be seen as the, "Thread Pirate Roberts" and get too far off topic.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by The Royal Hajj View Post
    You can already buy extra counter sets. Maneuver decks will never be sold with out the ship mini.
    Their loss
    Be safe
    Rory

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Ken

I would like the following:

1. Wooden or Plastic Range Ruler
    2. Taller wind indicator that clears the top of the ship's masts.
    3. Gunsmoke counters foe when ships have fired
    4. Fire indicators.
    5. Backing indicator
    6. Entangled indicator.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Ken H View Post
    I would like the following:

1. Wooden or Plastic Range Ruler
    2. Taller wind indicator that clears the top of the ship's masts.
    3. Gunsmoke counters foe when ships have fired
    4. Fire indicators.
    5. Backing indicator
    6. Entangled indicator.
    Hi Ken,

1. I have that already (well, production the correct one has started, so will be back on the site here soon).
    2. an interesting idea. Do you find the current size gets in the way often?
    3. Also available in the AA store.
    4. How would these differ from #3?
    5. What would you use this for?
    6. This could be useful if the use of that rule takes off.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Ken

2. I like being able to line it up dead center on the ship without the masts getting in the way. Making it dual sided/longer to use from either side would also help when the position of a nearby ship prevents proper placement.

4. I would like something plastic which could be stood between the masts, possibly black rising smoke, to show this. I did the same with painted cotton balls when I played battle fleet gothic.

5. When a ship is stuck heading into the wind all should be able to see it. As long as a vessel is backing this would remain on it. It also would help the ships owner track if one or two hourglass backing cards are played.