Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What accessories do you desire in an Anchorage store?

Default Suggestions for the Anchorage

Food for thought. If the following is possible, they would make nice additions to the SoG Anchorage accessories (if you start one).

All 1/1000 scale

Ratlines for all rates. (brass, plastic,stiff thread,etc)
    Display bases. (Ocean themed blue base)
    Flags, pennants for all nations.
    Explosion, fire & splash markers.
    Carry case and trays for ships.

I'm sure others can add to this list

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    Food for thought. If the following is possible, they would make nice additions to the SoG Anchorage accessories (if you start one).

All 1/1000 scale

I would like to see clear plastic display cases like those at Aerodrome.
    Those seem like even more of a natural for ships than planes.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

T-Shirts (the Royal Hajj has mentioned that such items don't move as well, but I would definitely pre-order these)
    Something similar to the cockpits in WoG to house our ship's cards and counters.
    A naval-themed caddy to hold damage cards, etc.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

All 1/1000 scale

Several of those are already in the works...

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    T-Shirts (the Royal Hajj has mentioned that such items don't move as well, but I would definitely pre-order these)
    Something similar to the cockpits in WoG to house our ship's cards and counters.
    A naval-themed caddy to hold damage cards, etc.
    This game does not use damage cards, it uses chits/counters like WGS. So, no damage caddy needed... even though it could look really cool!

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by The Royal Hajj View Post
    Several of those are already in the works...

This game does not use damage cards, it uses chits/counters like WGS. So, no damage caddy needed... even though it could look really cool!
    Great. What's the probability of a t-shirt? The Aerodrome one's are excellent.

How about a shipshape ship-shaped caddy for chits/counters?

Midshipman
    Netherlands

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

In no particular order:

Safe Harbour - something to store the models in, and possibly transport them too. Maybe along the lines of teh Hangars for the WoG planes
    Chit Holders - something to hold the different chits in, keeping them separate but protected so that they don't get lost. They do look quite small and possibly fiddly in the video.
    Card Holder - something to hold and protect the Captain ability deck, Ships manoevre deck and any other card deck type of thing that comes along.

These are basically all gaming aids.

My biggest request is something I'm sure (hint hint) that has been mentioned before.
    Rigging Kits - Knowing nothing about rigging the 1/1200th models, it's the one thing I see that could greatly improve the visuals of the SoG models. Not sure how this would be done, maybe it can be generic, maybe it needs to be specific to a size of ship (I told you I know nothing about this ). But something that isn't beyond most people with a set of good instructions would be a boon to those who'd like to improve the look of the ships, but don't have the skills of Vol or any of the other master modellers on the site.

That's it for now. I'm sure more will follow and I'm sure others have more or better ideas. If we get them here than at least Keith has an idea of what we're wanting.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

I'd suggest, for logistics, it doesn't need to be a separate Anchorage Accessories site, but it could just be a sub-brand of the existing AA. That way, we who play both have One Stop Shopping... :D

As for rigging, I don't recall who made 'em but but when I was a kid there was a line of about 6-9"-long wooden boat/ship kits that included basic rigging instructions. (No sails to hang off 'em though.) If they're still available, they might be a start for engineering... I was thinking about just painting 200#-test monofilament fishing line or dental-floss (seriously, I know of one sport fisherman who had swordfish and sailfish regularly break 200#-test but not a one broke the line after he switched to floss) and epoxying it on.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

For rigging I'd suggest an online or PDF guide on how to do it, something like Rod Langton's book but simplified to take account of the style of the Ares minis and whatever needs there will be for drilling (it could also include a painting guide for anyone wanting to super-detail them). Etched brass ratlines would be good, again in the style of Rod's items for 1/1200. They are well overscale but look OK. If not then he used to sell a fine mesh which you could cut into long triangles to use for ratlines (which I personally thought was a better way of doing it) - an added bonus was that you got enough to do about 10 ships for the price of one etched brass set), so if that material is still available and you can get some that would be ideal.

How about sheets of ensigns and pennants?

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

There's an idea... laser-cut jigs for any drilling that needs to be done. OR, for forming "lines" out of wire, like the jigs some companies make to form grab-irons and handrails for model locomotives.

2nd Lt
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bob

I think there are many things that can brought to the ships store for all to enjoy.

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

It would seem that if these are not included with the starter set (and maybe even if they are) a set of drawstring felt bags with some type of markings for the different damage chit types (like shown in the video) would be needed.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Great. What's the probability of a t-shirt? The Aerodrome one's are excellent.
    It's a little early to be looking at T-shirts. Even with the larger member base and activity at the Aerodrome, sales of those shirts have been slow (as I predicted). I'm not ruling them out though

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Gull View Post
    In no particular order:

Safe Harbour - something to store the models in, and possibly transport them too. Maybe along the lines of teh Hangars for the WoG planes
    Chit Holders - something to hold the different chits in, keeping them separate but protected so that they don't get lost. They do look quite small and possibly fiddly in the video.
    Card Holder - something to hold and protect the Captain ability deck, Ships manoevre deck and any other card deck type of thing that comes along.

My biggest request is something I'm sure (hint hint) that has been mentioned before.
    Rigging Kits - Knowing nothing about rigging the 1/1200th models, it's the one thing I see that could greatly improve the visuals of the SoG models.
    All of those are either being looked at, or are already in the planning phase.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardPF View Post
    It would seem that if these are not included with the starter set (and maybe even if they are) a set of drawstring felt bags with some type of markings for the different damage chit types (like shown in the video) would be needed.
    We are checking the feasibility of those for the KS now.

I would like to see a clear base that is flat and much thinner with the firing arcs and wind markings etched on it so that a card on the base is not necessary. Of course the center front and rear marks would also need to be on it. I think this would greatly enhance the model and give it more of an on the ocean appearance.
    Last edited by Coog; 03-22-2013 at 19:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    I would like to see a clear base that is flat and much thinner with the firing arcs and wind markings etched on it so that a card on the base is not necessary. Of course the center front and rear marks would also need to be on it. I think this would greatly enhance the model and give it more of an on the ocean appearance.
    Great idea Bobby, I'm not convinced about the chunky bases either yet. It may be possible to create a pdf file and print them onto stock or stick label paper then print and attach to base thickness of your choosing. Only issue is that the ships have a peg that fits into the chunky base so that would need to be removed...which is n on reversible

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Berthier View Post
    Only issue is that the ships have a peg that fits into the chunky base so that would need to be removed...which is non reversible
    Not necessarily... we don't know WHERE the pegs are or how thick the hulls are, but it MAY be possible to chop 'em, drill a hole and make a removable replacement pin from a length of wire.

In THEORY anyway... but in THEORY if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle. LOL

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Charles

I'm pretty much in agreement with the suggestions already posted,I would really like to have some photo etched ratlines.

Quote Originally Posted by Berthier View Post
    Great idea Bobby, I'm not convinced about the chunky bases either yet. It may be possible to create a pdf file and print them onto stock or stick label paper then print and attach to base thickness of your choosing. Only issue is that the ships have a peg that fits into the chunky base so that would need to be removed...which is n on reversible
    The peg on the ships would not be a problem on a base that is as thick as the aftermarket ones for WoG. The new base would come with a hole in it, like the ones for WoG through Aerodrome Accessories. The peg may need to be trimmed some but should still be long enough to keep the ship in place on the base. Now if you are wanting to use a base that is very thin, you're right it would take some considerable modification. And I am not just thinking of the thickness of the stock base but the appearance with a card on it. A clear etched base would blend in better with a ocean colored playing surface.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

I think if you use kown models (langtons etc) which have Rat lines and bits for their ships. All you need is bases, playing tokens and rules
    Be safe
    Rory

Midshipman
    Netherlands

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Have they thought of providing the rules as a seperate purchase, completely independent of chits, cards, models etc. ? This would allow a friend to own their own set of rules without needing the basic set. They would still be in for the purchase of whichever ship models they wanted/needed. Of course this may be seen a removing a potential revenue source as people would have no need to use the Ares ships but could also use any existing models they own. However against that should be measured the chances of those people buying the main set anyway. A set of rules for $x is better than no sale of starter set at $0.

Just a thought springing from Rory's last comment.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Or, why not a Duel Pack like WGF? Two small ships (this might be better to wait until Series 2 or 3 when we have unrated ships like sloops-of-war), one ruler, one mini attitude indicator and basic rules, kind of a "Trial Size" package so people aren't out much if they don't like it, but if they do it can still blend seamlessly with purchases for the larger game.

Or, to build on this, maybe a Duel Pack for each rating level except the First and Second Rates? Of course, I envision this as all being repaints from existing tooling at time of each introduction, but it'd be a way to let the picky fans of "I wanna see how Frigates handle..." or "I wanna try a clash of SOL's..." "...but I'm not sure about the price of the full Starter as a sampler" have a chance to test their particular special interest and if they like it buy in more.

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

Have they thought of providing the rules as a seperate purchase, completely independent of chits, cards, models etc. ? This would allow a friend to own their own set of rules without needing the basic set. They would still be in for the purchase of whichever ship models they wanted/needed. Of course this may be seen a removing a potential revenue source as people would have no need to use the Ares ships but could also use any existing models they own. However against that should be measured the chances of those people buying the main set anyway. A set of rules for $x is better than no sale of starter set at $0.

Just a thought springing from Rory's last comment.
    I remember when that comment was asked once upon a time on the "Wings" side the answer there and then was no.
    Of course, that was long ago in a company configuration far, far away.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

While the subject of rules and dual packs is beyond the scope of this thread...

I believe that we will see some type of dual pack in the future. Nexus and now Ares have been known to post the rules as a free PDF download on their site. So, that too is a possibility in the future.

The peg on the ships would not be a problem on a base that is as thick as the aftermarket ones for WoG. The new base would come with a hole in it, like the ones for WoG through Aerodrome Accessories. The peg may need to be trimmed some but should still be long enough to keep the ship in place on the base. Now if you are wanting to use a base that is very thin, you're right it would take some considerable modification. And I am not just thinking of the thickness of the stock base but the appearance with a card on it. A clear etched base would blend in better with a ocean colored playing surface.
    You could leave the peg as is and have the ship "flying" somewhat above the waves, say probably 2mm above the clear base. might look a bit odd but would allow condition chits (such as fire, explosion) to be placed on the base partially under the ship for situations where all players should have access to the ship status rather than just the ship owner. (it's hard to hide a fire/explosion from your opponents, or a mast over the side).

I bought some transparent blue bases from Litko for my ships to run at conventions. I had intended to get them with etching, but figured out my mash-up system so I just used a few accessories to do it better and cheaper.
    I think the same concept could be done with the Ares miniatures. One would just need a hole near the center for the peg. The blue see through looks better than an opaque base. In this case, I thinking the etching would be required.

Wrecked ships

The most useful minis I bought were two frigates made up with knocked down masts and taking on water. They were generic with no flags. Whenever a ship struck its colors it was replaced with one of these. It looked great and made playing the game easier and faster. You didn't have to switch in your brain and say to yourself "oh yeah, that's the knocked out ship". Your brain registered it automatically by observing it was blatantly what it was and you could do your plottin' n scheming' in your head more readily. These wouldn't need cards and stats. They could be released in a 2 pack. Maybe one pack for Frigates, one for SOLs. You could have separate packs by how many decks if you want to be slightly more specific and include the really big ships.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Andy, you may be onto something. Maybe a "Dismasted" and a "Listing and Sinking" version of each production sculpt? (This could be a use for shots that fail Quality Control...)

Problem becomes, how do you sculpt a "kaBOOOOOM!" like L'Orient at the Nile?
    Last edited by Diamondback; 03-24-2013 at 14:30.

Midshipman
    Netherlands

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Instead of damaged versions of each sculpt, what about simply providing masts and spars/rigging mess that can be laid alongside the affected vessel at the appropriate point. No need to wreck a model but it also indicates to everyone that she's lost the main mast etc.

You could also have a fire marker for a) when ships catch fire and b) when you decide to reveal that the ship coming into harbour is actually a fireship. I've just watched the Hornblower epsidoe of the Lt Examiination.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I like the idea of damaged ships. However, I think I will have quite a few as I try my hand at modeling. I imagine some will end up like kaBOOOOOMed ships as they kiss the wall.

As for other items:

Shore parties.
    Small boats - non-rated.
    Any type of shore related minis such as batteries, docks, etc.

These items might already be supplied by some manufacturer, but for those of us who are not modelers, it might be useful to have access here and not have to hunt them down.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

We're getting our first non-rated ship in Wave 2... my bet is that boats would be multiples on a tiddlywink-size clear disc or similar. Anybody else here A&A War at Sea alumni? I'm guessing they'd be like the PT Boats and Daihatsu Landing Craft in that...

With all the ships we could use, I hope they don't waste their time or money making damaged ships. If I want one, that's what doubles are for.

Shore parties.
    Small boats - non-rated.
    Any type of shore related minis such as batteries, docks, etc.
    I second Eric's ideas.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

But, you DO have to admit, Factory Damaged would be a GREAT way to get a Return On Investment out of pieces that fail Quality Control.

Not advocating diverting resources that could be used for another wave, just a way to use things that would be thrown away as waste anyway. :) Which helps improve Ares' bottom line and thus long-term survivability...

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    But, you DO have to admit, Factory Damaged would be a GREAT way to get a Return On Investment out of pieces that fail Quality Control.

Not advocating diverting resources that could be used for another wave, just a way to use things that would be thrown away as waste anyway. :) Which helps improve Ares' bottom line and thus long-term survivability...
    Great idea Diamondback. Maybe Kieth can strike a deal with Ares and sell the ships that don't pass QC on the Anchorage As-is.

With all the ships we could use, I hope they don't waste their time or money making damaged ships. If I want one, that's what doubles are for.
    I don't think it would take a lot of relative work on their part. They only need to make 2-3 designs to cover everything rated. A generic single deck. A generic double deck. Maybe a generic triple deck. They wouldn't require any work for a stat/combat damage tracking mat or maneuver cards. They could put out a design for the packaged product of a damage ship faster than a regular ship and they only have to do it a few times...not for EVERY ship design. It's generic.
    I don't think the reject idea will go far. If they have so many rejects they can consistently sell them as accessories, they've got a serious quality control problem. I do think it's a good idea for them to do this to recover some losses. I might buy a few screwed up ships to experiment with and trash. It just depends on how much they want to charge. You need to think about shipping as well. If you pay shipping on 1-2 rejects at a time, that's getting pricey. You'd need to catch them at the right time when they had some available and then also order some regular ships at the same time to combine freight to make the cost reasonable for a reject.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

I don't think they will mess with rejects either. There should be relatively very few of them to start with, and what there is would be to big of a hassle for them to deal with I would think. I agree with Gunner, this is what extra ships are for... or maybe even a 3rd party product.

Shapeways could be the way to go for damaged ships, detail not as important so it might suit the 3D printing medium. In the same vein, it would be very simple to produce spars, masts and parts on a sprue for 3D printing for anyone who has the software skills.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

I really like the "Rigging kit" idea. I hope they do this. The kit could include very fine thread for rigging, rat lines for all class/size type ships, perhaps glue that is safe for the model, and a bit of matching paint (like in a paint by numbers set) to touch up and help blend in where the lines connect to the model. Simple directions too. Each kit could have enough material to rig several ships. Please consider this, or something like it Ares.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by pward View Post
    I really like the "Rigging kit" idea. I hope they do this. The kit could include very fine thread for rigging, rat lines for all class/size type ships, perhaps glue that is safe for the model, and a bit of matching paint (like in a paint by numbers set) to touch up and help blend in where the lines connect to the model. Simple directions too. Each kit could have enough material to rig several ships. Please consider this, or something like it Ares.
    Greetings Paul. Head on over to the Welcome Aboard forum and introduce yourself. Folks will be glad to meet you:
    http://sailsofglory.org/forumdisplay...Welcome-Aboard

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Lawrence

Regarding base options, if there is a peg that puts the model in the base, you could just cut it flat, drill a small hold with a pin vice and glue in a tiny rare-earth magnet. Put the matching one in the hold on the base. Keep your polarities consistent with all ships being one way and all bases being the other. RE magnets can be picked up pretty cheap at various hobby stores and really cheap online.

I am not sure what actual value this may have yet until I see the game, rules and bases, but it's an option to keep in mind. It could lend itself well to custom bases if appropriate.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Kelly

In no particular order:

Rigging Kits - Knowing nothing about rigging the 1/1200th models, it's the one thing I see that could greatly improve the visuals of the SoG models. Not sure how this would be done, maybe it can be generic, maybe it needs to be specific to a size of ship (I told you I know nothing about this ). But something that isn't beyond most people with a set of good instructions would be a boon to those who'd like to improve the look of the ships, but don't have the skills of Vol or any of the other master modellers on the site.

That's it for now. I'm sure more will follow and I'm sure others have more or better ideas. If we get them here than at least Keith has an idea of what we're wanting.
    Sea Gull has my vote. Especially like the rigging Kits idea.

Someone mentioned clear bases. I think that one is a good idea also. I wondered why they did not go with a clear or at least clearer base in the first place....but I will have to see one of these Gems in my hand first.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Travis

well the aerodrome has cockpits what about quarterdecks for the cards and such

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by BonhommeRichard View Post
    well the aerodrome has cockpits what about quarterdecks for the cards and such
    I like the quarterdeck name :g&t: I'm working with Ares on an upgraded ship log, but I have plans to do more advanced versions as well... I was going to call them something like Admiral's Ship Logs.... but Quarterdecks sounds the part!

Quote Originally Posted by Mizzen View Post
    Someone mentioned clear bases. I think that one is a good idea also. I wondered why they did not go with a clear or at least clearer base in the first place....but I will have to see one of these Gems in my hand first.
    A transparent blue base would be even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Blozinski View Post
    A transparent blue base would be even better.
    I like the transparent blue base idea. I think either clear or blue would make the model look better.

I like the transparent blue base idea. I think either clear or blue would make the model look better.
    Like the one at this location.http://www.litko.net/BMaker/

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

A transparent blue base might look the best. I'll be talking to them to see if they would entertain this idea and have a sample made up. I personally would not want clear bases for this game. It would really make the ships look like they are hovering above the water.

The two concerns I can see for the trans blue bases are:

1. The peg on the bottom of the ship could be seen below the ship. It's not a big deal in Wings, so not sure if it would be here.
    2. The ship card is designed to sit on top of the base. Therefore, only the sides would be transparent. This might not be an issue, but it could look weird.

A transparent blue base might look the best. I'll be talking to them to see if they would entertain this idea and have a sample made up. I personally would not want clear bases for this game. It would really make the ships look like they are hovering above the water.

The two concerns I can see for the trans blue bases are:

1. The peg on the bottom of the ship could be seen below the ship. It's not a big deal in Wings, so not sure if it would be here.
    2. The ship card is designed to sit on top of the base. Therefore, only the sides would be transparent. This might not be an issue, but it could look weird.
    1. The peg might not be seen because of the size of the ship, especially if the peg was cut to 1/8"
    2. Could someone be found that could etch ship info on the base, or a transparent computer printed label with ship info and fire arcs on it?

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

1. The peg might not be seen because of the size of the ship, especially if the peg was cut to 1/8"
    2. Could someone be found that could etch ship info on the base, or a transparent computer printed label with ship info and fire arcs on it?
    Unless the trans blue blocks it out, the peg will be seen when viewing the ship form an angle... no might to it.

As for etching the ship info onto a base, all that is needed is the firing arcs and the wind zones. I am pretty sure at least two companies will make some type of accessory base for this game.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

If the clear or transparent base still uses the ship card on top, then the peg would not be seen. But I personally don't think the Ares production blue bases are really going to be an issue once on the gaming table.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Sven and Uli have been discussing submarines, and that made me think that subs and torpedo boats could be interesting game accessories or options for an upcoming ship release.