Thread: Standard Rules Movement

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

Default Standard Rules Movement

So I understand that the rules that were posted on the Ares site are not necessarily comprehensive, but it looks like following the two movement turns that are dictated by a head to wind "taken aback/backing" operation, if the ship is no longer head to wind (which it probably will not be) that it returns to normal movement based on wind direction point of sail. Maybe this is too much complexity for "Standard" rules, but I think that I would want to see some type of reduced forward speed rule for the next __ movement turns. After all, building momentum is not an instantaneous thing.

Has anyone seen a more comprehensive set of the standard rules to know if it includes anything like that?

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

Default Collisions?

Did anyone see anything in the posted rules about collisions?

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

I think something along those lines would be in the advanced rules... if they exist. It could easily be handled (and perhaps they hinted at it in this latest preview) with the maneuverability rating of the maneuver cards. If you recall, they say to play a Straight 5 if an illiegal maneuver was planned. That leads me to believe that there are straights with different MR. If this is the case, the limited card selection could be used to require you to build up speed again.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

IIRC the "straight" and "5" are synonymous (i.e. the veering rule sets the straight card at 5, with lower number as port turns, higher as starboard). I honestly can't remmeber what limitations there are on moving off.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardPF View Post
    And what about grappling, boarding running aground....they are drip feeding us to make us spend more, it's gaming crack

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    IIRC the "straight" and "5" are synonymous (i.e. the veering rule sets the straight card at 5, with lower number as port turns, higher as starboard). I honestly can't remmeber what limitations there are on moving off.

Thanks David. I personally am just fine with them leaving out such things as slowly building up speed. While it would be more pronounced in a sailing ship, planes also need time to get back up to speed after doing certain maneuvers, but the game plays just fine with out rules for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Berthier View Post
    And what about grappling, boarding running aground....they are drip feeding us to make us spend more, it's gaming crack
    Advanced or optional rules I would think... although I've not heard anything about boarding. It might be that they left that out of the game to simplify things, or will be adding it at a later date.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardPF View Post
    Roberto mentions that the ships sort of "bounced" off of each other and took some damage.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

One of the appealing things about WoG is its simplicity, which comes at the cost of some realism. I doubt the folks I have introduced the game to would be enjoying it if it was more complex, and as of late, some players have posted shots of playing with their children, some of whom are under 10 years of age. The simplicity of the mechanism and record keeping provides a gateway for folks into historical wargaming. As someone who has played more complex wargaming, I, too, enjoy the WoG mechanism and do not feel any loss due to its simplicity.

I see house rules coming into play for anyone wanting greater detail in mechanics.

I agree simplicity is WOG great appeal and makes entry to the system smooth and enjoyable. My feeling is SOG will have the basic rules pitched at this level of complexity, but true naval warfare of the period obviously needs the wind and that adds complexity, thus the standard rules and presumably various advanced and optional rules.

One major strength with the WOG game will hopefully be the ability to dumb down the rules for larger fleet actions and conversely have small engagements at the level of difficulty the players are comfortable with. Thus we might call this a "telescopic" rules set where the perspective moves from close up detail through to small fleet actions of simpler rules sets, the players decide on the degree of magnification they are happy with.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I think everything you would expect to find in a set of AoS rules featuring actions between sailing ships, and for ships vs. shore batteries, will be there :)

Of course that does give some scope for house rules and perhaps a future expansion for things like landing parties, submarines, campaign systems, oared warships etc. :D

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    and as of late, some players have posted shots of playing with their children, some of whom are under 10 years of age.
    My step-daughter started playing at 7 ;)

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by The Royal Hajj View Post
    My step-daughter started playing at 7 ;)
    That is awesome. I have invited several friends to bring there children over for WoG, and I will be doing the same with SoG. You have just encouraged me to include friends with even younger children than I asked already.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    That is awesome. I have invited several friends to bring there children over for WoG, and I will be doing the same with SoG. You have just encouraged me to include friends with even younger children than I asked already.
    My oldest son has been playing Risk and Star Wars X-Wing (similar level of complexity as WoG ) since he was 9. My daughter jumped into each with us and she's just turning 8. I typically have found that the emotional attachment to the game is a greater issue than handling the mechanics. A quick miniature game like XWing, SoG, WoG you can have fun and play again if you loose. Risk and other really long games are harder for younger children as they become more invested in their efforts and may not take losses well.

Getting back on topic, collisions, tangled masts and boarding are all very common in descriptions of engagements of the period and I would hope would have Advanced Rules for them to be official. I absolutely appreciate the telescope method of Basic, Standard, Advance (and maybe Optional) rules though. Especially for younger players, introducing new players, large engagements and such.

Midshipman
    Netherlands

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I think Ares are taking the right approach to the rules. Basic is just that, enough to get a quick game going with new players or younger children. Standard introduces more tactical aspects and is something that can someone used to Basic can easily build to. Advanced/Optional is where it gets interesting for the real A0S rules junkie. Everything available to play the game the way you think it needs to be.

I for one will be starting at Basic in order to get some non-gaming friends involved. They're enthusiastic, but have never done this thing before.

And Berthier is right ... it is gaming crack! But like any addict I don't seem to care.