Thread: Time Range

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Lance

Default Time Range

I was going to upload some photos but I was wondering if we have a start date / end date on what we are covering / discussing on this forum?

Midshipman
    Netherlands

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Err ... good question. I suppose anything with a sail on it. :confused:

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Lance

Well some ACW ships had sails with a smoke stack between the masts. I would assume that is a bit too modern. Plus I am excited about the Idea the Sog may go backwards. So are we a Napoleonic + anglo dutch wars + ??? forum or what?

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by SeaRoyal20 View Post
    Well some ACW ships had sails with a smoke stack between the masts. I would assume that is a bit too modern. Plus I am excited about the Idea the Sog may go backwards. So are we a Napoleonic + anglo dutch wars + ??? forum or what?
    Lance, most folks might be focused on Age-of-Sail that ends around the Napoleonic Wars. However, I am sure if you have some interesting stuff from later periods, you will find some folks very interested in engaging in dialogue. From what I have experienced on the Aerodrome, these sites are not just about the game, but about the community, and that transcends the game.

So let's see what you got, and I might be encouraged to include an album of later ships. I have one friend here who is a Prussian Navy fan, but most of what I have seen is latter 19th century. I think I will now include some later pictures for him.
    Last edited by 7eat51; 03-08-2013 at 13:58.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

As with our sister site, Wings of Glory Aerodrome, as the game progresses, I will be adding more era theamed sections. For now, the site only has a dedicated Napoleonic section. When they do the War of 1812, I'll add that section and so on. Until then, any futuristic type topics should go in the Wardroom... and feel free to upload images from any time period to your albums. Just organize and name them accordingly ;)

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

IIRC, the game timespan for all of SoG, both current and future plans, is 1660-1815. Problem is, you don't see many real "standardized class designs" before 1745... before that, the admiralties basically just told each yard's master shipwrights "here's the criteria we need, do what you think best to meet it."

From the Battles forum entry I did there are several age of sail battles post Napoleon as below. Additionally there were as mentioned sail only vessels in the ACW and in the Crimea.

Greek War of Independence

• 1821 March 4 - Greeks vs Turks north-west of Zakynthos
      • June 5, 6 and 8 - Greeks defeat Turks
      • August 10-c. 13 - Skirmishes
      • October 1 - Skirmish

• 1822 March 4
      • May 31
      • June 18–19 - Greek fireships under Constantine Kanaris blow up the flagship of Ottoman admiral Kara Ali Pasha

• 1823 September 27 - Greeks vs Turks west of Lemnos
      • October 23 - Greeks vs Turks near Pondikonisi

• 1824 August 11, 12, 13, 16, 17 and c. 26 - Various skirmishes between Greeks and Turks/Egyptians/Tunisians
      • September 1 - First Budrum - Greeks vs Turks and Egyptians
      • September 9 - Second Budrum
      • September 22 - Greeks vs Egyptians near Nikaria
      • September 29
      • November 12 and 13 - Greeks vs Turks and Egyptians near Spinalonga

• 1825 April 29
      • May 26
      • June 1 - Greeks defeat Turks between Euboea and Andros
      • June 14 and 15 - Greeks defeat Turks and Egyptians near Suda Bay
      • June 28 and 29 - Greeks vs Turks and Egyptians south of Cerigo
      • August 3 - Greeks defeat Turks near Missolonghi
      • November 14 - Greeks under Miaoulis vs Turks/Egyptians/Algerines/Tripolitans near Navarin
      • November 25, 26, 29, 30 and December 6 and 7 - Greeks vs Turks (and allies?) near Missolonghi

• 1826 January 22 and 28 - Greeks vs Turks
      • April 15
      • July 27 and 28 - Greeks vs Turks near Samos
      • September 10 and 11 - Greeks vs Turks near Mitylene
      • October 7 (6?) - Greeks vs Turks in Aegean Sea (?)

• 1827 September 29 - Greeks vs Turks in Salona Bay
      • October 20 Navarino - British/French/Russian squadrons, under Admirals Codrington, de Rigny, and Geiden, destroy Turkish/Egyptian/Tunisian fleet of Tahir Pasha off south-west Greece

• 1828 January 31 - British and French defeat Greek pirates at Grambusa