Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Maximizing the Kickstarter

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

We have hit the KS mid campaign slump. But that does not mean that excitement and future goals can not be met. We had a meeting tonight to discuss this very thing and came up with some good ideas. With the big wigs of Ares at GAMA right now, reaction times are going to be slower, but I'm sure you guys are going to like what is in the works.

If you take a look at the Torn Armor KS stats, you can see that they have turned the middle of their campaign in to the best part. It's all about how you manage the campaign, and the guy behind the ours is on top of things. In fact, the Torn Armor up swing is a direct result of his input to that campaign.

Keep an eye on the KS page for a cool new video on the combat system later tonight or early tomorrow ;)

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I am glad to read that Ares will be working on the KS site and adding a video. The other day I participated in a couple of contests via BGG, and the associated KS pages were more developed than the SoG page. The videos they had were a great addition. I think for a game that highlights visuals, such as SoG, the marketing has to be as visually appealing as possible. Given the length of time from the start of the Anchorage to the KS, as well as the time of the KS, there needs to be more announcements and hooks for folks sitting on the fence and for pledgers to up their levels or add-ons and for fans to be excited about the game. The recent addition of the standard rules has breathed some life into discussions here, for example.

Midshipman
    Netherlands

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Agree entirely. The addition of the rules to the web site came at just the right time. Not only did it give me an insight into the game, but it has led to more discussions on the Anchorage site, which is becomming more a living entity the closer the release date comes. This can also help with the KS - showing that there is already a lively community out there for a game that hasn't been released yet.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

I agree about the visuals as well and have talked to them about it. Hopefully they will spice it up some as time goes by.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Japheth

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Gull View Post
    but it has led to more discussions on the Anchorage site, which is becomming more a living entity the closer the release date comes. This can also help with the KS - showing that there is already a lively community out there for a game that hasn't been released yet.
    I totally agree. Since Hajj works close with Ares, I am surprised there isn't a link to the anchorage from SoG Kickstarter with a bigger paragraph. I know that Aerodrome was a sort of hidden jem that has increased by love and support of that game 10fold. The same with anchorage. I was interested in the game, but after playing around here more, I get more ravenous for SoG to release.

If I were an 'uninitiated' lubber and looking into SoG from kickstarter and not sure about a new game with a bit of buy-in from a smaller company, I would be uplifted by clicking to see that there is a lively dedicated community to it already (as well as a dedicated community to the their previous game). A little paragraph how their (Ares's) games garner a community of active followers and contributors speaks well to the games they made. It would set them apart from other companies and maybe throw a little business Hajj's way as new gamers may use his site as their OL game store.

I just think a lone link might get lost in the mix and not clicked. Whereas a bit more info and it would be a meaty part of the selling point of funding.
    Last edited by OmegaLazarus; 03-20-2013 at 09:28. Reason: clarify point

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaLazarus View Post
    I totally agree. Since Hajj works close with Ares, I am surprised there isn't a link to the anchorage from SoG Kickstarter with a bigger paragraph. I know that Aerodrome was a sort of hidden jem that has increased by love and support of that game 10fold. The same with anchorage. I was interested in the game, but after playing around here more, I get more ravenous for SoG to release.

If I were an 'uninitiated' lubber and looking into SoG from kickstarter and not sure about a new game with a bit of buy-in from a smaller company, I would be uplifted by clicking to see that there is a lively dedicated community to it already (as well as a dedicated community to the their previous game). A little paragraph how their (Ares's) games garner a community of active followers and contributors speaks well to the games they made. It would set them apart from other companies and maybe throw a little business Hajj's way as new gamers may use his site as their OL game store.

I just think a lone link might get lost in the mix and not clicked. Whereas a bit more info and it would be a meaty part of the selling point of funding.
    I agree totally. The nice thing about updating online advertising such as the KS page is its low price - a few minutes for an editor to add copy. The more connections between the two sites, the better the result - synergy.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Japheth

Cross promotional. Deal mechanics. Revenue streams. Jargon. Synergy.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Cross promotional. Deal mechanics. Revenue streams. Jargon. Synergy.

Midshipman
    Netherlands

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Why am I having flashbacks to some of the Buzzword Bingo games I played back in my Business Major days? LOL

$3900 to go! Though I positively DREAD buying two of everything if the goal after this is met... between finances and repainting. Hopefully Andrea will take my advice about making the B Side card use the same paint and flag as the A Side, and using one of her near-sisters for the HMS Victory B rather than just "Victory, different year". I thought the whole POINT of Side B's was to have bigger battles, and you can't very well have 1765 Victory and 1805 Victory side-by-side like you could her 1745 Establishment ancestors or Boyne 98-gun or 1810 Impregnable/1820 Trafalgar descendants, right?

EDIT: Scratch that, $2600 to next goal--and I put up a poll asking for thoughts on the "second ship" for the back-side of the HMS Victory card, so go look and vote!
    Last edited by Diamondback; 03-20-2013 at 18:27.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Why am I having flashbacks to some of the Buzzword Bingo games I played back in my Business Major days?
    Not sure what you mean. All we're trying to do here is think outside the box to create a win-win situation by ensuring that every touchpoint is customer-centered as Ares has moved into the new economy way of doing B2C via business process outsourcing. By helping Ares adopt best practices, we can enable them to be best of breed in terms of the gaming industry as it builds new capabilities while leveraging its core competency. We simply want the KS enterprise to pop, offering solutions to help Ares develop a cutting edge brand image and increased visibility, and to ensure its sustainability by maximizing its ROI through value-added processes. It is mission critical that Ares creates a holistic approach to customer satisfaction as it positions itself for the next generation of products. Seriously Diamondback, no one here drank any buzzword Kool-Aid.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Eric, I was trying to crack a funny about all the jargon. :) The point is valid, amigo, and one I'm totally on the same page with.

$2200 to go! Right now, it's looking like my best strategy is to go Captain+Marine, pledge for extra mats and terrain packs, then mop up the second set of singles, starter, Victory and Constitution via Keith. Yes, I'm working up a spreadsheet about how much it'll cost me to get everything I want... he'll beat the KS on no-exclusive ships by about a buck if I'm reading it right.

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Not sure what you mean. All we're trying to do here is think outside the box to create a win-win situation by ensuring that every touchpoint is customer-centered as Ares has moved into the new economy way of doing B2C via business process outsourcing. By helping Ares adopt best practices, we can enable them to be best of breed in terms of the gaming industry as it builds new capabilities while leveraging its core competency. We simply want the KS enterprise to pop, offering solutions to help Ares develop a cutting edge brand image and increased visibility, and to ensure its sustainability by maximizing its ROI through value-added processes. It is mission critical that Ares creates a holistic approach to customer satisfaction as it positions itself for the next generation of products. Seriously Diamondback, no one here drank any buzzword Kool-Aid.
    So YOU'RE the one writing all of those corporate mission statements!

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

Default Uptick on Pledging

The last two days of the KS project have seen a significant increase in the number of, and dollars of, pledges as compared to the previous four or five days.
    I wonder if there is anything that can be pointed to that accounts for this.

I would not think that any orders that might be being written at GAMA, especially the Admiral of the Fleet level type purchases that would likely be written there, would show up on Kickstarter because of the KS fees.
    There has only been one additional Admiral of the Fleet pledge in the past two days anyway.

There's an early bird commodore left..was that there before or did someone pull out? Would be nice to hear how GAMA is progressing and particularly the feedback from prospective distributors.

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Berthier View Post
    There's an early bird commodore left..was that there before or did someone pull out? Would be nice to hear how GAMA is progressing and particularly the feedback from prospective distributors.
    I was that drop off about an hour ago.
    No doubt it won't last long...

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Berthier View Post
    And it's gone!

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Japheth

Some of it may be the close proximity of the next stretch goal. I just increased my pledge by a couple bucks. Every little bit helps and I have already gotten more freebies than I calculated to make the investment profitable so now I am just 'spending my winnings.'

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by RichardPF View Post
    So YOU'RE the one writing all of those corporate mission statements!
    Quote from a business management seminar I attended where we were all getting pissed off with the member of the Master of Bull**** Association pontificating at the front

"Oi, The only people who need mission statements are fighter pilots"

(the course bloke was already a bit hacked oof with people shouting "bingo" and "house" every now and then whilst he droned on about nothing in particular.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

$1400 to Goal! Let's see...

16 Series 1 ships / 4 = 4 Capt/Crew Decks
    2 Specials (Victory/Constitution) / 4 = 1 Deck
    12 Series 2 ships / 4 = 3 Decks
    Total = 8 Decks
    Decks in Pledge -1 = 7
    7 Decks * $5 per = potential $35 up-pledge ffrom me if budget allows.

This assumes we stay at single-sided cards. Doubles where I need to buy two sets of everything is gonna be like "oh, bugger..."
    16 *2 Series 1 ships = 8 decks
    2 *2 Specials = 1 deck
    12 *2 Series 2 ships = 6 decks
    Total 15 decks (less one freebie) *$5 = $70
    Paying for all this is gonna get ugly... doing so and keeping up with WGF/WGS may drive me back into psychiatric care. LOL
    Last edited by Diamondback; 03-21-2013 at 12:52.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    "Oi, The only people who need mission statements are fighter pilots"
    That's a great quote.

Paying for all this is gonna get ugly... doing so and keeping up with WGF/WGS may drive me back into psychiatric care. LOL
    Are the decks set up to where each ship would need its own?

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

The last two days of the KS project have seen a significant increase in the number of, and dollars of, pledges as compared to the previous four or five days.
    I wonder if there is anything that can be pointed to that accounts for this.

I would not think that any orders that might be being written at GAMA, especially the Admiral of the Fleet level type purchases that would likely be written there, would show up on Kickstarter because of the KS fees.
    There has only been one additional Admiral of the Fleet pledge in the past two days anyway.
    It could be the newly added videos. I am not sure of their timing in relation to the increase, but the visuals will sell.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Eric, the Crew Decks are set up with four copies each of ten different cards--one deck will fully load four ships, or if you don't want to deploy with full upgrades probably a few more. Personally, I prefer the "Alpha Strike* with Spares" model, having enough to load EVERYTHING for bear all at once with some extras in reserve...
    *Vietnam War term--certain high-value targets required Presidential approval to strike, this was the "Approval" or "Alpha" list, so on the rare occasion you got that approval, you cobbled together everything on the hangar deck that could fly and loaded it down with as much as it could carry, and threw it all at the target at once. Which was SERIOUS when you consider there were typically no less than SIX carriers on Yankee Station at any one time...

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Eric, the Crew Decks are set up with four copies each of ten different cards--one deck will fully load four ships, or if you don't want to deploy with full upgrades probably a few more. Personally, I prefer the "Alpha Strike* with Spares" model, having enough to load EVERYTHING for bear all at once with some extras in reserve...
    *Vietnam War term--certain high-value targets required Presidential approval to strike, this was the "Approval" or "Alpha" list, so on the rare occasion you got that approval, you cobbled together everything on the hangar deck that could fly and loaded it down with as much as it could carry, and threw it all at the target at once. Which was SERIOUS when you consider there were typically no less than SIX carriers on Yankee Station at any one time...
    Great. Very helpful. Thanks.

Off to order some more decks.

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    It could be the newly added videos. I am not sure of their timing in relation to the increase, but the visuals will sell.
    The start of the blip was definitely pre new video.
    It was also slightly pre GAMA.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

MBA: Monumental Bulls--- Artist.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Manager By Accident
    Me Before Anyone
    Much B*gg**ing About
    etc...

:D

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Japheth

the Crew Decks are set up with four copies each of ten different cards--one deck will fully load four ships, or if you don't want to deploy with full upgrades probably a few more.
    Thanks for the info. Where did you find that info about the Decks? Did I miss a thread on here or on Ares's site?

2nd Lt
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bob

Have my KS at the LT level and have been getting the updates. Also watched the videos and they do a good job in explaining the game. Great job by Ares.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Thanks for the info. Where did you find that info about the Decks? Did I miss a thread on here or on Ares's site?
    Don't remember if it was public comment or private message, but I asked on KS.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

It's some where in the KS comments. If I had the time, I'd dig through all of those and pull out all the "data" and post it in a thread here so we could keep track of it better.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Now within $300 of next stretch goal.

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

And there it is!

Name:  160.jpg
Views: 1009
Size:  106.5 KB

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

What's after 175?
    Last edited by RichardPF; 03-21-2013 at 22:21.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Just pledged another $30 to get us not just AT but OVER the Top. IIRC, $200K gets us extra ships at $15 each--have a query about if that includes our addon Victories and Constitutions retroactively.

*Willy Degel voice* "We banged dat one out Anchorage, now on to da next one!" lol
    Last edited by Diamondback; 03-21-2013 at 22:46.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

What's after 175?
    Lots of stuff! lol

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Japheth

Okay, so I have never backed a KS before this one and I have a question.

I am already and (EB) Captain and have pledged a few more dollars just to sweeten the pot.

If I want an extra mat (makes sense since 4+ games of WoG are played on 2 mats), do I just pledge an extra generic $20 and when the KS is over, they will ask what I want to do with that? It seems that that is what it says, but I wasn't sure if that was it. It seems there could be a run on certain products if they don't know ahead of time. Like if everyone spent all of their extra pledge on $5 combat rulers, it might be tough to meet that demand on schedule (though deservedly nice for Hajj).

I just want to make sure I do it right since I will probably want an extra mat and the extra terrain pack to support it.

P.S. - Is there a design for the combat rulers yet? Is that the one they show in the videos?
    Last edited by OmegaLazarus; 03-22-2013 at 09:46. Reason: added questions.

Midshipman
    Netherlands

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I am already and (EB) Captain and have pledged a few more dollars just to sweeten the pot.

If I want an extra mat (makes sense since 4+ games of WoG are played on 2 mats), do I just pledge an extra generic $20 and when the KS is over, they will ask what I want to do with that? It seems that that is what it says, but I wasn't sure if that was it. It seems there could be a run on certain products if they don't know ahead of time. Like if everyone spent all of their extra pledge on $5 combat rulers, it might be tough to meet that demand on schedule (though deservedly nice for Hajj).

I just want to make sure I do it right since I will probably want an extra mat and the extra terrain pack to support it.

P.S. - Is there a design for the combat rulers yet? Is that the one they show in the videos?
    Hi Japheth,

My understanding is that is exactly what you do. You pledge an extra $20 and send tem a message using the Contact Me button that it's for an extra mat above what you get as captain. I think that our First Sea Lord stated the rulers will be wooden and so will not be in colour. This leaves you free to stain it to your own liking should you so desire.

Cheers
    Chris

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Ares will send a questionnaire at the end. However, they request that you send them a message as well if you know how you want the money to be spent. There is a "Contact Me" link toward the upper right of the page by the Ares logo just near the lower-right corner of the big video.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Japheth, it really is as simple as the guys above say--but me personally, I like to include a list of all my prior up-pledges along with it. For example, here's the one I sent last night for decks:

Just added another $60, two more Terrain packs and an advance on four extra Capt/Crew Decks.

Total current pledge and addons so far:
    $260 - Captain package
    $40 - HMS Victory + USS Constitution combo
    $20 - Extra Mat
    $5 - Extra Attitude Indicator
    $5 - Extra Combat Ruler
    $15 - 3x Extra Terrain Pack #1
    $20 - 4x Extra Captain/Crew Deck

Thank you,
    [NAME CENSORED]

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Like if everyone spent all of their extra pledge on $5 combat rulers, it might be tough to meet that demand on schedule (though deservedly nice for Hajj).

Yeah, $60k worth of rulers might take me a bit to produce!! Since all of the stretch goals will go into production after the KS is over, there should not be any issues with running out of them. I also don't see any delays on my part, I should have at least a month to produce my components and that is plenty of time.

As for the finial design on the combat ruler, the one in the video is (I'm pretty sure) the final design for the card stock version that will come with the game. The final graphics for the wooden one has not been chosen yet. All of the icons will be the same, but we may spruce it up some since it can't be in color. It all depends on how it looks and how easy it is to read.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Japheth

Thanks for the help guys, especially in locating the 'contact me' button. I added the info on the pledge. I agree with Mr. Cencored that it is good to be explicit when non-F2F purchasing is involved.

I will now have more seas and shoals to rule as Captain

Midshipman
    Netherlands

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Thanks for the help guys, especially in locating the 'contact me' button. I added the info on the pledge. I agree with Mr. Cencored that it is good to be explicit when non-F2F purchasing is involved.

I will now have more seas and shoals to rule as Captain
    I've found it's what the people on this forum and the Wings Aerodrome forum, do really well.

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

Very interesting new stretch goal posted!
    Based on Backers not Dollars - Very Nice!

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

Not only is this stretch goal unique in that it is based on backers not dollars, it is also a graduated goal that this one goal applies to more backer pledge levels at higher backer totals.
    If the average pledge holds at between $220 and $225, the first threshhold of this goal will be reached at about the same time that the next dollar stretch goal is reached.

I am quite impressed with Ares.

They have resisted adding stretch goals that while exciting the backers and potential backers, would be difficult to actually manufacture in a reasonable time.
    They have also upped the level of sophistication of their goal premiums substantially here.
    This is an amazingly professional effort from a first time Kickstarter company.
    Bravo and well done!

Midshipman
    Netherlands

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Agree with you wholeheartedly. A, probably, unique approach to a new stretch goal. Very "out-of-the-box" thinking.

Just waiting for someone to add a comment on the KS asking for a stretch goal of free shipping to EU @ 3000/3500/4000 backers.

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Gull View Post
    ... Just waiting for someone to add a comment on the KS asking for a stretch goal of free shipping to EU @ 3000/3500/4000 backers.
    I would bet that there just isn't enough margin in this for them to be able to do that at almost any pledge level using the manufacturing/distribution pipeline that is in place.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Well, I've been doing some longhand, and based on what can and can't be mopped up later...

If someone asked me for advice about what to add on after their Captain Package, I'd say concentrate on the four exclusives, the maps and the terrain packs--TP's are 50% off MSRP, maps are about 43% off, and normal e-tail is in the 25-35% range. Victory and Constitution, based on worst-case MSRP projection that Rob mentioned, are just under 30% off, and IF we make the "$15 add-on ships" goal that's about 25%-off. For comparison, Keith has said he usually runs about a 29% markdown through AA...

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

Well, I've been doing some longhand, and based on what can and can't be mopped up later...

If someone asked me for advice about what to add on after their Captain Package, I'd say concentrate on the four exclusives, the maps and the terrain packs--TP's are 50% off MSRP, maps are about 43% off, and normal e-tail is in the 25-35% range. Victory and Constitution, based on worst-case MSRP projection that Rob mentioned, are just under 30% off, and IF we make the "$15 add-on ships" goal that's about 25%-off. For comparison, Keith has said he usually runs about a 29% markdown through AA...
    You have been doing some impressive analysis.

What I am basing my recommendation on is looking at the prices being paid for some of the original release Wings of War planes.

In mint condition in the original boxes, the D7's, DR1's, Snipes, Nieuports and even the Rumplers are regularly going on eBay for between $40 and $60.

These have been unavailable from the retail supply chain for about 4 years now (maybe less) and had an original selling price of about $12 to $14 (maybe less).

This represents about a 40% compounded rate of return over that time.

Theoretically, the unavailability period for the exclusives starts the day the KS ends.

Just saying...

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Right... if you're approaching this as a speculative investor, that IS the way to go--my approach is from the view of a collector first/gamer second who just wants to get his own collection, without the liquidity available that "investment buying" requires.