ISBN:
    978-087021955
    Category:
    Reference
    Format:
    Hardback
    Summary:
    The full title is
    Seamanship in the age of Sail: An Account of the Shiphandling of the Sailing Man-of-War 1600-1860, Based on Contemporary Sources

Fascinating book on the down and dirty of how to sail and work a ship in the age of sail. Although technical in places there are numerous drawings to explain what is going on.

There is a lot to absorb here, I particularly enjoyed the explanation of how you work a large ship up a narrow navigable river as well as dealing with running aground and other naval calamities. Lots of explanations of archaic naval terms as well..if nothing else your scrabble skills will improve ; )
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Admiral of the Blue.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I have just completed reading this book, if one can actually complete this book. Thanks to Dave Manley supplying me with a copy along with some other present which shall remain nameless, I am now more knowledgeable about things nautical, whilst at the same time realizing how little I really understand.
    This really is the bible on seamanship, and well worth dipping into on a regular basis.
    Rob.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Bumping this thread because this once hard to get an expensive book has been reprinted and is available on Amazon (US) for $38 !!

http://www.amazon.com/Seamanship-Age...S5TWVF30YXJTWK