Closed Thread

Thread: DAVCO 1/1200 Ships for sale

Default DAVCO 1/1200 Ships for sale

ALL SOLD
    Prices are U.S. only. (shipping outside the US would cost that much for shipping)
    Minimum 0rder is 3.

DAVCO (good looking ships)
    Minimum order is 3

British

HMS Columbine - 16 gun Brigantine $4.00 delivered
    HMS Columbine - 16 gun Brigantine $4.00 delivered
    Generic - 16 gun Brigantine (larger than HMS Columbine) $4.00 delivered
    HMS Indefatigable - 32 gun (Razee) Frigate $4.00 delivered
    HMS Indefatigable - 32 gun (Razee) Frigate $4.00 delivered
    The Pitt - 30 gun Armed Indies trade ship $4.00 delivered
    The Pitt - 30 gun Armed Indies trade ship $4.00 delivered
    Lord Clive - 50 gun large East Indies merchantman $4.50 delivered
    HMS Agamemnon – 64 gun $4.50 delivered
    HMS Temeraire – 98 gun $5.00 delivered

Spanish
    Salvador Del Mundo – 112 gun $5.00 delivered

French
    La Vengeance – 20 gun Privateer $4.00 delivered
    Last edited by Gunner; 11-01-2013 at 16:47.

Gee Ed, I wish I had known you had these too when I ordered the last bunch. You included a couple of Davco ships with the last order, but since I'm in Alaska right now, I can't look to see the quality compared to the NavWar ships. You say "Good looking ships"? Are they very different? Better? I was unprepared for the amount of work involved to make the NavWar Revolutie look good. The sails really suck. I also noticed that the stiffness of the masts varied quite a bit from ship to ship amongst the NavWars, from sturdy to flimsier than the GHQ masts. I didn't remove either of the two Davco ships from the packages to inspect them. If they are better models than the NavWars, I am definitely interested in buying some or all of them. I won't be back home until the 12th to inspect the Davcos you sent, so I will take your word for the quality.

Cheers,
    Vol
    Last edited by Volunteer; 03-01-2013 at 18:26.

Hi Vol, I think the Davco ships are cleaner & sharper than Navwar, and the masts look similar to GHQ.

What in the world are you doing in Alaska this time of the year? I hear Anchorage is in the low 30's.
    Swing by my neck of the woods in Arizona. Tomorrow should be 84 degrees.:D

P.S. Vol. Except for shipping charges, money back guarantee.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    Hi Vol, I think the Davco ships are cleaner & sharper than Navwar, and the masts look similar to GHQ.

What in the world are you doing in Alaska this time of the year? I hear Anchorage is in the low 30's.
    Swing by my neck of the woods in Arizona. Tomorrow should be 84 degrees.:D
    I work in Prudhoe Bay on the shores of the Arctic Ocean. May as well be on the moon. At least you can breath the air here...sometimes. Today is a balmy -6 Fahrenheit with 14 mph winds making it -31 degrees chill factor. A week ago it was -50 with a 35 mph wind causing a -78 degree chill factor. so today is nice by comparison. I have been doing this for 35 years, two weeks on and two weeks off.

Will you take $45 for all 12 ships?

Gotta get ready for shift change. I'll try to check in with my cell tonight if I can get service (AT&T, do I need to say more?)
    Last edited by Volunteer; 03-01-2013 at 19:36.

Make that $50 and I'll add a little extra. Or 45 as it shows. Up to you.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Will you take $45 for all 12 ships?
    Out of curiosity, Vol, if the ships did not require much additional work, how long would it take you to finish these 12 ships? I have no frame of reference to know how much time doing one's own minis require. I have not done any form of modeling for 35 or so years. I am going to try my hand this month on repainting a WWI plane mini, and I recently bought some Flames of War WWII armor. These will be a challenge to me already; something of the scale of these ships is a bit daunting.

Make that $50 and I'll add a little extra. Or 45 as it shows. Up to you.
    Done Ed. PayPal same as before?

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Out of curiosity, Vol, if the ships did not require much additional work, how long would it take you to finish these 12 ships? I have no frame of reference to know how much time doing one's own minis require. I have not done any form of modeling for 35 or so years. I am going to try my hand this month on repainting a WWI plane mini, and I recently bought some Flames of War WWII armor. These will be a challenge to me already; something of the scale of these ships is a bit daunting.
    Eric,
    Gunner shipped me the NavWar ships and I received them on Thursday. Even though the Revolutie took more work than usual, I finished it to a point where I could take photos and post it by Sunday afternoon before I had to fly out. But I spent almost every waking moment on it, which didn't make the wife or daughter too happy my last few days at home. As it gets closer to late spring and summer I will have less time to spare for the workshop. Winter is my hobby time. Anyway with normal time spent in the shop, say about 4 to 6 hours p/day, I can finish a crisp Langton in about two days; a GHQ in about three; NavWar I'll estimate five or six. I will most likely be scratchbuilding the masts, spars and sails for the rest of them. I'm hoping the Davcos won't require this and will take less time.

Done Ed. PayPal same as before?
    You got it. Will ship Monday a.m. when the Post Office opens.
    Let me know what you think of the Davco's.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Thanks Vol. The time you put into these ships helps me envision a little of what is involved. Given the years you have invested already, adds to that. Your recent blog on the Revolutie helped me understand a few of the challenges that could surface.

I think if I ever want to do an Age-of-Sail model, I will work on a traditional plastic, larger-scale kit; but I think that would be far way off into the future.

You got it. Will ship Monday a.m. when the Post Office opens.
    Let me know what you think of the Davco's.
    Ok. Thanks Ed.
    Last edited by Volunteer; 03-01-2013 at 23:53.

Ed,
    Payment is sent. Great doing business with you again.

Thanks Vol. The time you put into these ships helps me envision a little of what is involved. Given the years you have invested already, adds to that. Your recent blog on the Revolutie helped me understand a few of the challenges that could surface.

I think if I ever want to do an Age-of-Sail model, I will work on a traditional plastic, larger-scale kit; but I think that would be far way off into the future.
    Actually Eric, having built numerous plastic sailing ships during my lifetime, I find it much easier to build the little 1:1200 scale ships. That is one of the primary reasons it has become a passion. Other advantages are that they are in scale, whereas the larger plastic models are rarely in matching scales. They take up less room so I can have entire fleets, and they take much less work and time to build. Plus they are much easier on the wallet. When I was a kid I could buy a ship model, say the HMS Victory 1:96, for $12. Now it's more like $80. Trust me, you will enjoy the small ships more.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Actually Eric, having built numerous plastic sailing ships during my lifetime, I find it much easier to build the little 1:1200 scale ships. That is one of the primary reasons it has become a passion. Other advantages are that they are in scale, whereas the larger plastic models are rarely in matching scales. They take up less room so I can have entire fleets, and they take much less work and time to build. Plus they are much easier on the wallet. When I was a kid I could buy a ship model, say the HMS Victory 1:96, for $12. Now it's more like $80. Trust me, you will enjoy the small ships more.
    Well Vol, so much for my thinking on this topic. You make a compelling case when you say you find it much easier - I have no place from which to argue against that. Once I finish my first round of projects (plane and tanks), I will take a look at a ship mini. Please be ready, for I will have many questions, I am sure, at that time. One thing I know for sure, is that I will need some form of magnifying glass for all of this work. I have seen pictures of yours on your profile and blog pages. Do you have any recommendations for a brand? Also, my wife is looking for a pair of magnifying goggles/glasses that she can wear on her head while making jewelry. If you have any experience with those, similar recommendations is most welcome.

Well Vol, so much for my thinking on this topic. You make a compelling case when you say you find it much easier - I have no place from which to argue against that. Once I finish my first round of projects (plane and tanks), I will take a look at a ship mini. Please be ready, for I will have many questions, I am sure, at that time. One thing I know for sure, is that I will need some form of magnifying glass for all of this work. I have seen pictures of yours on your profile and blog pages. Do you have any recommendations for a brand? Also, my wife is looking for a pair of magnifying goggles/glasses that she can wear on her head while making jewelry. If you have any experience with those, similar recommendations is most welcome.
    No I don't Eric, but I know of several mini painters that do and have been thinking about getting a pair myself. Even with bifocals and my big magnifier I am finding it more difficult as I get older. Picture me wearing bifocals, magnifier goggles, and peering intently through a large magnifier at the same time! What a hoot!

I have two large magnifiers with the circular tube flourescent lamps. One I used for many years that I found at a garage sale. The one you see in the photo my wife got me for Christmas several years back. I think they are all pretty much the same. You can get one from Micro-Mart I know and probably at Walmart too.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

No I don't Eric, but I know of several mini painters that do and have been thinking about getting a pair myself. Even with bifocals and my big magnifier I am finding it more difficult as I get older.
    Thanks Vol. I am sorry to hear that the magnifier and glasses are starting to come up short. I used to have 17/20 vision. Ever since I started teaching and using a computer all the time, my eyesight has gone downhill. Compound that with age…. Well, at least we're getting wiser, right?

Maybe I'll look into magnifier goggles as well.

Thanks Vol. I am sorry to hear that the magnifier and glasses are starting to come up short. I used to have 17/20 vision. Ever since I started teaching and using a computer all the time, my eyesight has gone downhill. Compound that with age…. Well, at least we're getting wiser, right?

Maybe I'll look into magnifier goggles as well.
    Check out amazon.com and type in headband magnifying glasses.
    I use the Donegan OptiVISOR Headband Magnifier.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Check out amazon.com and type in headband magnifying glasses.
    I use the Donegan OptiVISOR Headband Magnifier.
    Thank you for the recommendation Ed. I just put the 3.5x Magnification, 4" Focal Length, DA-10, part number B0015IP380 into my cart.
    http://www.amazon.com/Donegan-OptiVi...band+Magnifier

Closed Thread