Thread: Favorite Pirate/Swashbuckler Movies

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Default Favorite Pirate/Swashbuckler Movies

We have a poll about great Napoleonic era sailing movies: http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.p...-Your-Favorite

So how about a dialog (or is that dialogue) on favorite pirate/swashbuckler movies?

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Errol Flynn's The Sea Hawk is a lot of fun. Adventure, romance, intrigue - who could ask for more?

Movie info from IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0033028/

Movie info from Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sea_Hawk_(1940_film)

Trailer: http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi4107273241/
    Last edited by 7eat51; 02-11-2013 at 09:42.

I always liked The Crimson Pirate with Burt Lancaster when I was a kid.

2nd Lieutenant
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Ulrich

I think, there was a lot of good film at this time, I love them all. I`m missing those films today, but I have my own collection on DVD..:cool:

2nd Lt
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bob

Just in after some time (more in the Areodrome) but I have to say there are many great movies. Capt Blood/ The Sea Hawk and I would have to sit here to remember so many others.

I ran across a movie this morning on television called "Captain Caution." Unfortunately I missed over half the movie. It is based on a book by the same name and is about an American privateer during the War of 1812, but has the atmosphere of the swashbuckling Errol Flynn movies set during the golden age of piracy. It was made in 1940 and stars Victor Mature. The ships look pretty good, particularly a prison hulk. Reading up on the movie I found that I had missed the part where the ship was captured by the British only to be recaptured and set free by Stephen Decatur. The thing I found interesting is that it was made in 1940 when WWII had just started and almost everything coming out of Hollywood was very pro British with nothing negative about Britain.

Name:  Captain_Caution_FilmPoster.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  43.8 KB

Name:  51xrj+eIcFL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  22.2 KB

Name:  roberts-captain.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  59.6 KB

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

My wife and I just finished Black Pirate, 1926 silent film. Simple, fun, delightful. When your in the mood to relax, this is a good choice.

From IMDB:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0016654/

Name:  Black Pirate.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  10.4 KB
    Last edited by 7eat51; 02-26-2013 at 20:15.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I always likes Cutthroat Island (apparently the only person in the world who did - but then i do have a thing about Geena Davis)

Oh, and The scarlet Buccaneer (or Swashbuckler as I think it was titled in the US) with Robert Shaw and James Earl Jones

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    but then i do have a thing about Geena Davis
    Please don't tell me that you are a fan of the movie Thelma and Louise.:eek:

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Yes, and "The Long Kiss Goodnight"

But not Beetlejuice, which was shyte :D

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    Please don't tell me that you are a fan of the movie Thelma and Louise.:eek:
    I had the unfortunate displeasure of seeing this film in the theatre. As we were leaving, there was a long line of folks waiting to go in. I said, "It's a shame they die at the end." People kind of gave a sarcastic laugh like "Nice try buddy." I would like to have seen them at the end of the movie.

Oh yeah! I have Gena Davis.......I mean Cutthroat on DVD. I'm not too proud to say I liked it. I can't recall Swashbuckler, I remembered Robert Shaw on the tv series The Bucaneers when I was a kid. So I bought the whole series. Oh lord! They are horrible. And yet I remembered them so fondly. The absolute worst acting and fake fight scenes ever. I would be more than happy to mail the set to anyone who wants it.

I love The Long Kiss Goodnight!

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

"Robert Shaw" and "boat" combined -- not a pleasant thought for me.....

Midshipman
    Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Karl

Really; I liked the Swashbuckler. (oh, right....afraid of .....SHARKS!)
    Captian Blood, and the King's Pirate were good Sunday afternoon fare when I was growing up.
    Karl

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

For me it's always been Errol Flynn in capt Blood and the Seahawks. But I also have the old TV series Sir Francis Drake from the early 60s

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    For me it's always been Errol Flynn in capt Blood and the Seahawks. But I also have the old TV series Sir Francis Drake from the early 60s
    I am not familiar with this series. Thanks for pointing it out. My wife and I enjoy older TV series, including that magisterial British series The Buccaneers.:D

For old British costume series:
    The Buccaneers: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048850/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2
    The Adventures of Robin Hood: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047706/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_22
    The Adventures of Sir Lancelot: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048841/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
    Sir Francis Drake: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055656/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
    William Tell: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0158441/
    Last edited by 7eat51; 03-07-2013 at 07:31. Reason: Added William Tell

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Default Pirate and AoS Movies on Sale at amazon

Amazon sale on Pirate Movies

Pirates of the Golden Age Movie Collection (Against All Flags / Buccaneer's Girl / Yankee Buccaneer / Double Crossbones) (1950)
    Price: $5.99
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A1F0UEKE5KZJK1

Name:  Pirate Movie.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  25.8 KB

Captain Horatio Hornblower
    Price: $6.22
    http://www.amazon.com/Captain-Horati...ef=pd_cp_mov_2

Name:  Hornblower.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  22.8 KB

TCM Greatest Classic Film Collection: Legends - Errol Flynn (The Adventures of Robin Hood / Captain Blood / The Sea Hawk / Adventures of Don Juan)
    Price: $11.99
    http://www.amazon.com/TCM-Greatest-C...f=pd_sim_mov_2
    At the bottom of this amazon page are many other war movies packs on sale.

Name:  Captain Blood.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  2.7 KB

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Smile

The Sea Hawk is one of my favorites. Thank you for the tip on the low price. Great deal for four movies.

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    I had the unfortunate displeasure of seeing this film in the theatre. As we were leaving, there was a long line of folks waiting to go in. I said, "It's a shame they die at the end." People kind of gave a sarcastic laugh like "Nice try buddy." I would like to have seen them at the end of the movie.
    That's not the sort of thing one should brag about.

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

Amazon sale on Pirate Movies

Pirates of the Golden Age Movie Collection (Against All Flags / Buccaneer's Girl / Yankee Buccaneer / Double Crossbones) (1950)
    Price: $5.99
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A1F0UEKE5KZJK1

Name:  Pirate Movie.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  25.8 KB
    Thanks!
    It will arrive Wednesday.

Sorry to be so scarce recently.
    There was a bit of an emergency at the college to which I had to attend.

I had to build a new course for the summer session over the past two weeks.
    I should be done by tomorrow evening.
    (Especially since the course starts Monday!)

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by RichardPF View Post
    Sorry to be so scarce recently.
    There was a bit of an emergency at the college to which I had to attend.

I had to build a new course for the summer session over the past two weeks.
    I should be done by tomorrow evening.
    (Especially since the course starts Monday!)
    Good to have you back. Your presence has been missed.

Best wishes with the summer course.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Do the various versions of 'Treasure Island' come into consideration? Aaarrgh, Jim lad.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Do the various versions of 'Treasure Island' come into consideration? Aaarrgh, Jim lad.
    How about Treasure Planet? Most folks I know thought it was stupid. It doesn't matter as I quite enjoy it. In fact I may go pull out the dvd right now.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0133240/

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    How about Treasure Planet? Most folks I know thought it was stupid. It doesn't matter as I quite enjoy it. In fact I may go pull out the dvd right now.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0133240/
    Why not? Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.

I am in the middle of watching Went the day well? A British B&W WWII movie. Not highly artistic or serious, but thoroughly enjoyable.
    Last edited by 7eat51; 06-01-2013 at 21:28.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Timothy

I definitely love the Sea Hawks!!! Errol Flynn was great!!!

Here's Flynn's classic "Against All Flags"

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

While this film is beyond the time frame most folks think of when discussing Pirate/Swashbuckler motion pictures I do recall enjoying it very much when I saw it on a Saturday morning TV show years and years ago.

Reap the Wild Wind does deal with pirates, but the year is 1840 and the setting is in the Florida Keys. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reap_the_Wild_Wind

It starred John Wayne, Ray Milland, Paulette Goddard, Robert Preston, and Susan Hayward, and was directed by Cecil B. DeMille.

As for the more traditional Pirate flick, I'd have to say The Sea Hawk stands out as an all time favorite; followed closely by Captain Blood.

While this film is beyond the time frame most folks think of when discussing Pirate/Swashbuckler motion pictures I do recall enjoying it very much when I saw it on a Saturday morning TV show years and years ago.

Reap the Wild Wind does deal with pirates, but the year is 1840 and the setting is in the Florida Keys. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reap_the_Wild_Wind

It starred John Wayne, Ray Milland, Paulette Goddard, Robert Preston, and Susan Hayward, and was directed by Cecil B. DeMille.

As for the more traditional Pirate flick, I'd have to say The Sea Hawk stands out as an all time favorite; followed closely by Captain Blood.
    Another John Wayne movie of a similar theme and time period but on the other side of the world:

I remember falling in love with Paulette Goddard after seeing this movie when I was a boy.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    Another John Wayne movie of a similar theme and time period but on the other side of the world:
    This movie looks somewhat familiar, but I cannot remember for sure if I've seen it all the way through. Is John Wayne's character a good one or a bad one? In Reap the Wild Wind Wayne plays a bad guy, one of only a few films where he wasn't the 'hero'.

This movie looks somewhat familiar, but I cannot remember for sure if I've seen it all the way through. Is John Wayne's character a good one or a bad one? In Reap the Wild Wind Wayne plays a bad guy, one of only a few films where he wasn't the 'hero'.
    From a purely legal view, you could say he is a bad guy but his character is a bit more complex than that. The story is more of a power struggle between two men.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Al

Plot Summary for
    Reap the Wild Wind (1942) More at IMDbPro »

Clipper ships taking the shortest route between the Mississippi and the Atlantic often end up on the shoals of Key West in the 1840s. Salvaging the ships' cargos has become a lucrative business for two companies -- one headed by a feisty young woman. Then she falls in love with the captain of a wrecked ship while he recuperates at her home. She travels to Charleston and is charming to the man most likely to be head of the captain's company, thinking she will be able to get the captain the position he wants on the company's first steam ship. Written by Dale O'Connor <daleoc@interaccess.com>

In 1840, America's line life is the sea, with an intense commerce. In Key West shore, two ship savage companies dispute the wrecked vessels. The honest one belongs to the impulsive Loxi Claiborne and Capt. Phil Philpott and the other one is owned by the unscrupulous pirate King Cutler. While rescuing the crew of the ship "Julliete", wrecked on the reeves by the First Mate Mathias Widgeon, Loxi falls in love for Captain Jack Stuart. She travels to Charleston to defend Jack and convince the ship owner to give the position of captain of the new steamship of the company, manipulating the powerful shipping company lawyer Steve Tolliver (Ray Milland), who also falls in love for her. This triangle of love leads Jack Stuart to bad and fatal choices. Written by Claudio Carvalho, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Along the Florida Keys, Loxi Claiborne runs a ship salvage business, rivalled only by the unscrupulous King Cutler. Loxi rescues and falls in love with Jack Stuart, who comes to believe that his rival for Loxi, Stephen Tolliver, has sabotaged his chance at a new ship. Mistaken but vengeful, Stuart joins forces with Cutler with tragic results. Written by Jim Beaver <jumblejim@prodigy.net>

In 1840, there's work on the Florida Keys for honest salvagers (like the Claibornes) and outright pirates like King Cutler, who bribes sailors to cause wrecks. When Capt. Stuart's ship is wrecked, Loxi Claiborne rescues him, falls for him, and travels to Charleston to convince the owners the wreck wasn't his fault; company lawyer Steve Tolliver returns with them to Key West to investigate. Tolliver and Stuart's rivalry for Loxi's hand complicates their swashbuckling adventures in pursuit of Cutler, ending in a trial and a dangerous dive for evidence. Written by Rod Crawford <puffinus@u.washington.edu>

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    I remember falling in love with Paulette Goddard after seeing this movie when I was a boy.
    I just read something I never knew. Paulette was in line to play Scarlett in Gone With The Wind, but lost out to Vivian Leigh. Reap the Wild Wind was considered a consolation prize!

As a little girl, mom said she ran out of the theater screaming during one of the underwater scenes.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Blozinski View Post
    As a little girl, mom said she ran out of the theater screaming during one of the underwater scenes.
    It is unfortunate, today, that too many directors rely on visual effects and gore as opposed to good storytelling. But when one considers scenes shot by Hitchcock for example, like the famous scene from Psycho in which the viewer never actually sees contact, we know that drama, tension, fear, horror, etc. can be captured without excessive reliance on special effects and "realism". I have been amazed at how my students have responded to films like "!2 Angry Men" which is primarily shot in one room, or the silent film "Battleship Potemkin" in which my students unwittingly side with the communists, not being communists themselves. They are responding to powerful storytelling that, in terms of effects and flash, are dull or quaint at best by today's standards. I fear the types of visuals offered us today can dull our capacity to appreciate good films that rely on our imagination and ability to enter others' stories.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

It is unfortunate, today, that too many directors rely on visual effects and gore as opposed to good storytelling. But when one considers scenes shot by Hitchcock for example, like the famous scene from Psycho in which the viewer never actually sees contact, we know that drama, tension, fear, horror, etc. can be captured without excessive reliance on special effects and "realism".
    The phrase "three yellow barrels" comes to mind.... :P