Thread: 1:1200 Ship Models

Default 1:1200 Ship Models

I'm new on this ship so I'm not sure where to post photos of the ships i have built so far. I hope this is the right board. I will post my latest now and if this is not the place, please someone correct me.

This is Langton's HMS Glatton 56 gun 4th rate. 28 x 64 pounder carronades on the lower gun deck and 28 x 42 pounder carronades on the upper gun deck. Here is a short service history borrowed from http://www.napoleon-series.org/milit...sglatton.html:

In 1795, as part of its expansion after France and Holland became allies of France, the Royal Navy purchased nine 1,200-ton East India Company merchantmen then building on the Thames River. These ships were then converted to 54 or 56-gun warships by joining the forecastle and the quarter-deck (forming a continuous upper-deck). Armament for eight of the new vessels consisted of twenty-eight 18-pounder long guns on the gun-deck and twenty-six to twenty-eight 32-pounder carronades on the upper-deck.[4] They were classed as 'fourth-rates'.

The ninth vessel, the 56-gun HMS 'Glatton', became the Royal Navy's first (and only) warship armed exclusively with carronades. With twenty-eight 42-pounder carronades on her upper-deck and twenty-eight 64-pounder carronades on her lower-deck,[5] HMS 'Glatton' was a boarder's nightmare.

The first commanding officer of HMS 'Glatton' was Captain Henry Trollope (20.04.1756-02.11.1839) a veteran of the American War of Independence and a strong supporter of the use of carronades. Trollope would later command the 74-gun HMS 'Russell' at the Battle of Camperdown (11.10.1797).[6]

Probably the most famous commander of HMS 'Glatton' was Captain (later Vice-Admiral) William 'Breadfruit' Bligh (09.09.1754-07.12.1817). Bligh, who had served under Captain James Cook from 1776 to 1779, had been in command of HMAV 'Bounty' when the crew, led by master's mate Fletcher Christian, mutinied (28.04.1789). Bligh and 18 loyal crew members were set adrift in one of the ship's boats; 47 days and 3,618 nautical miles later they reached safety at the Dutch port of Coupang in Timor.[7]

Ironically, although Bligh held command of HMS 'Glatton' for less than a month (18.03.1801-12.04.1801) it was during this month that Vice-Admiral Horatio Nelson engaged the Danish Fleet at the Battle of Copenhagen (02.04).[8] The British victory cost the ship's crew 51 casualties (17 killed and 31 wounded). Bligh later received the personal thanks of Nelson for his conduct during the engagement.
    HMS 'Glatton' was not in the line of battle at Trafalgar in 1805. She continued active service until 1814, when she was converted to a water depot. In 1830, HMS 'Glatton' was sunk as a breakwater.

The high-water mark of [William] Bligh's naval service was as Captain of HMS Glatton in the Battle of Copenhagen in 1801. Having spotted a Dutch frigate maneuvering to attack HMS Elephant, the flagship of Admiral Horatio Nelson, Bligh sailed directly into the line of fire and caught most of the enemy's broadside. The Glatton was severely damaged but remained afloat; the Elephant was saved.
    -- www.findagrave.com

Name:  2013-01-25+16.38.29.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  36.6 KB

Name:  2013-01-25+16.39.30.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  35.7 KB

Name:  2013-01-25+16.40.00.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  36.4 KB

Name:  2013-01-25+16.41.59.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  31.7 KB
    Last edited by Volunteer; 02-03-2013 at 06:35.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Absolutely beautiful.

Great ship bio.

Thank you. So is this the right place to post these? Or should I put them into an album? The Blog? What?

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Yes. This forum is where you can post items related to the game such as your builds, book reviews, etc. You can also create an album on your page. There is another forum - Wardroom - in which you can discuss most anything, though politics and religion should be avoided. Once the game is produced and folks start playing, there are a few sub-forums under the Napoleonic folder in which game discussions will take place. If you would like to gain a good feel for this site, I recommend looking at the Wings of Glory site (http://www.wingsofwar.org/). Many of the same folks participate on both sites, and our captain - Royal Hajj - oversees both sites. You will find that folks will be more than happy to help you along and answer any questions you have, and I am sure we will all appreciate interacting with you more. What you have posted, thus far, is some really fine craftsmanship.

Here are a few other items you might like to know for the future - lessons I have learned in the past few weeks:
    If you click on someone's name under the avatar, a menu of options will popup enabling you to send a private message, etc.
    Near the bottom os someone's post is a star looking icon. If you find someone's post especially helpful or entertaining, you can click that icon and send the poster reputation point(s) and a little message.
    The "What's New" link at the top is a great way to see what has been posted recently; once clicked, several sub-menus will popup. For now, you can check this site daily and probably be fine. In the future, this site will have significantly more traffic, so if you want to stay ahead of the game, you could check it a couple of times throughout the day. The nice part is you can look at the forum without logging in.
    Empty your inbox and sent box periodically. I just learned about this today as folks tried sending me private messages but were unable to do so.

If I think of more items that might be of interest, I will pm you.

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Thank you. So is this the right place to post these? Or should I put them into an album? The Blog? What?

Thanks Eric, this was very helpful. One star for you.

Beautiful model. You have far more patience and artistic ability than I have. I'd be a nervous wreck if a bunch of gamers were using it and any others you have like it!

2nd Lieutenant
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Ulrich

Absolute fantastic, I agree with Coog..

What a piece of art.

Great work! That ship should go up on Langton's web site!

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Charles

Beautiful,simply beautiful.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Travis

amazing work

Midshipman
    Netherlands

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I've been crying for ages at the masterpieces on show here knowing I'll never be able to get anywhere near that level of skill.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Two thumbs up for such beautiful painting detail. Your steady hand is a real gift. Thank you for sharing. The attached information is a bonus. Great research.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Gorgeous! I very much doubt I would ever use such a fine model on a gaming table! How many hours did it take to create that?

Quote Originally Posted by Cmmdre View Post
    Two thumbs up for such beautiful painting detail. Your steady hand is a real gift. Thank you for sharing. The attached information is a bonus. Great research.
    Thanks Paul I appreciate the kind words. I have posted a couple of others here, but I'm afraid they have generated little interest, so I stopped posting them.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Gorgeous! I very much doubt I would ever use such a fine model on a gaming table! How many hours did it take to create that?
    Why wouldn't you? They are extremely sturdy, much more so than the ships without rigging. Have you seen Rory's photos of the way he picks up his ships? It's the same way I pick mine up. I would not want to put a ship on a gaming table without rigging. I would have to be constantly straightening masts or be very careful not to pick them up by the yards. Here's Rory's photo again to illustrate what I'm saying.

Name:  P1050940.JPG
Views: 527
Size:  403.7 KB

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Thanks Paul I appreciate the kind words. I have posted a couple of others here, but I'm afraid they have generated little interest, so I stopped posting them.
    Vol,
    You must post again. As you told me. Start a new thread if you must, but post again! a fan
    Be safe
    Rory

P.S. Kildyuin is now dressed in standing rigging. hope to add rat-lines tomorrow.
    Last edited by Devsdoc; 04-13-2013 at 22:09.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Why wouldn't you? They are extremely sturdy, much more so than the ships without rigging. Have you seen Rory's photos of the way he picks up his ships? It's the same way I pick mine up. I would not want to put a ship on a gaming table without rigging. I would have to be constantly straightening masts or be very careful not to pick them up by the yards. Here's Rory's photo again to illustrate what I'm saying.
    Thanks for the picture. It certainly illustrates your point. I'll definitely consider it, but building something first is going to be my next step. I've started searching various threads here and links on the web. Lots of information to read up on.