Thread: March 2016 - Apres le Tempete - Deuxieme Lieutenant Jean le Vagabond

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Default March 2016 - Apres le Tempete - Deuxieme Lieutenant Jean le Vagabond

Apres le Tempete

The game was played on the 8th January and I started writing this report in early February, as you will realize I'm not Speedy.

Bon soir Baptiste et Hermione it is good to see you again, a much shorter interval than last time n’est pas. Now that the dreadful Noel celebration is over and the new year starts to advance I feel like a young man again, even the climb up to Martine’s bar is not so arduous. It is still cold, the North wind blows like the Devil but the days are getting longer and the fire warms my bones. Move over Baptiste and let a man see the flames if you would be so kind.
    Why Hermione that is good of you, I will have a small glass of the 98, just to loosen the tonsils you understand, your Father won’t mind if Martine pours out my normal measure, will you Baptiste. Just give the girl the money and don’t moan about the cost so much, it does you no credit in the village to be known as a mean fellow.

Ahh thank you, that tastes like the nectar of the Gods, it reminds me of that other great vintage, the 68 and the first time I ever tasted it. I was the Deuxieme Lieutenant on the Genereaux, a fine ship of the line and we had arrived off Port !!!. Do you know I’ve forgotten its name, that seems to happen more often than it used to, I don’t know why that is. No Baptiste, I don’t think it’s anything to do with my age, you should be ashamed for even thinking such a thing.

Name:  001 P1490917.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  68.2 KB
    Where was I, ahh yes: we were a small squadron of 3 of the finest ships in the French Navy and were tasked with blockading Johnny Rosbif in port but the tricky fellows had slipped out before we arrived. I imagine Admiral Rochforte was perplexed; what to do next, you may well ask Hermione. If it was up to me I would have sailed straight into the harbour, landed the marines and taken the port garrison by surprise but Rochforte dithered and the moment was lost.

You are quite right Hermione, France needed more commanders like me but Rank and Privilege fell to the court lackey’s at the time and it was hard for a man of iron to progress through the ranks as he deserved.

Name:  002 P1490918.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  54.5 KB
    Rochforte might have been a ditherer but he was also a lucky commander because the Rosbif squadron was sighted in the offing, so, he had no decision to make. We had the weather gauge and could command the harbour entrance as we desired.

Name:  003 P1490919.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  44.1 KB
    The Rosbif squadron looked in a sorry state, rigging damaged and even a couple of top masts missing, they must have been caught in the recent storm and were trying to drag themselves back to port for repairs, well we would have them at a disadvantage.

HMS Defence led the squadron and the last ship in the line was HMS Superb, the English have such modest names for their ships don’t they. What do you mean Baptiste, yes I have sailed on a ship called Courageous but that was only fitting, every man on board was Courageous, None so much as I of course but they were a fine body of men, there is no comparison with calling your ship Superb when she was not designed by a Frenchman and built in a French Yard. How could she then be Superb?

Name:  004 P1490921.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  42.9 KB
    Quite right Hermione, you explain the concept to your Father but it will take a long time to get through that thick skull of his but before that he needs to order another brandy because I’m getting a dry throat having to explain the simplest of things to him.

Let me continue while he is gone, it will be much quicker to describe the battle to you, with your quick wits and understanding of naval tactics I won’t have to draw on the table or use the beer bottles to explain the easiest manoeuvre.

Name:  005 P1490922.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  62.3 KB
    Both squadrons approached in the traditional line astern, Commerce de Bordeaux our Flagship led the way, Rochforte would try and sail as close to the harbour mouth as possible to prevent the Rosbif’s from gaining the entrance. With the wind from the South they would have to be very careful not to get caught in irons, there was a small channel close inshore but it would only be a madman who would try and tack up that narrow passage and I’ve never taken the Rosbifs for madmen.

Name:  006 P1490923.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  91.6 KB
    Even so, Defence sailed too close to the wind and as she turned to larboard she was taken aback and swung violently around.

Name:  007 P1490926.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  78.6 KB
    Right before our eyes she ran aground on the rocky island she had been trying to avoid. She didn’t seem to be badly wounded, I’ve seen masts fall and holes that would sink a ship in minutes when a ship has run aground but she was lucky.
    Yes I know that’s a relative term Hermione, it certainly isn’t lucky to run aground and stick fast when there are French ships bearing down, but you know what I mean, it could have been much worse for her.

Name:  008 P1490928.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  88.2 KB
    That’s when things really started to fall apart. I think Rochforte had expected Defence to tack to starboard and gain sea room so he had ordered a turn to starboard himself so that he would be able to fire broadside to broadside. Her turn to larboard was unexpected. The second ship in the British line did turn to starboard which put Commerce de Bordeaux in a very difficult position.

Name:  009 P1490931.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  100.0 KB
    Broadsides from Defence and Impertueux were fired simultaneously, Bordeaux lost her mizzen mast and was holed in 3 places, the crew died in droves, it was terrible Hermione, just terrible. Her return volley started a fire on Impetueux and a couple of sails were shredded but nothing like the damage suffered by Bordeaux.

Name:  010 P1490932.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  94.9 KB
    They were so close that the Marines were firing muskets from the tops and even if Bordeaux gave as good as she took she was in a desperate situation. The fire on Impetueux might have been caused by burning wadding from Bordeaux’s cannon, but no one will ever know for sure.

Our 2nd ship Le Swiftsure turned to larboard to avoid Bordeaux and obviously couldn’t see forward due the pall of smoke from the guns.

Name:  011 P1490933.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  97.8 KB
    She ran straight into Impetueux damaging both ships although I expect Impetueux took more damage from being hit amidships. The impact must have created havoc on the gun deck because they didn’t fire their guns, or maybe they were still reloading them, I’m not sure at all because I was busy at the time.

Well Baptiste – you took your time, my throat has almost closed with the lack of fluid but I see Madame has poured a generous measure so I may continue. Please just sit quietly so that I can continue my story to your daughter, see how her eyes are aglow with anticipation, she knows that the next ship to enter the fight will be Genereaux and that there will be brave deeds a plenty when my ship enters the fray.

Name:  012 P1490935.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  102.0 KB
    It was mayhem Mademoiselle, Le Swiftsure slid down the side of Impetueux and into Bellona the 3rd ship in the Rosbif line, but Bellona fired a full broadside down the length of Swiftsure as she approached.

I had been given command of the main gun deck on Genereaux but Capitaine Le Rue demanded I aim the guns high, go for the men and the rigging he commanded, as you know I’ve always said that this is foolishness, but I couldn’t disobey a direct order after it had been given in front of the whole gun deck.

Name:  013 P1490936.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  95.6 KB
    Commerce de Bordeaux had slide beneath the waves, only her masts were showing above the white caps and the Genereaux’s crew had taken casualties but the ship was standing up to the fire from HMS Defence as well as a stoutly built French ship should.

Name:  014 P1490937.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  92.4 KB
    I couldn’t see what was happening with Le Swiftsure because of all the smoke, it was like Lucifer’s furnace over there, although I could imagine the chaos between decks.

Name:  015 P1490939.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  97.4 KB
    The smoke started to clear a little and I could see Le Swiftsure fire a broadside from the stern to the stem of Bellona and then there was a resounding sound, the splintering of wood rather than canon fire and I believe two of the Rosbifs ships collided, Superb hit Bellona amidships, causing significant damage and almost immediately flames licked up the mast and sails of Bellona.

Name:  016 P1490941.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  84.1 KB
    Then without warning Genereaux stopped dead in the water, I found out later that we had run straight into the stern of Impetueux, men fell everywhere with the impact. We were fortunate in that with my encouragement the men had loaded and were able to fire the forward starboard battery at long range into Superb before the collision. Their mizzen mast toppled into the sea, just as I saw a flicker of flame amidships.

Name:  017 P1490943.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  86.0 KB
    Superb had fired on Swiftsure who had fired on Defence, it was mayhem Mademoiselle, but I can see in your eyes you know that and you feel the excitement of combat that all true Frenchmen know when we are engaged with our enemies.

Defence slowly foundered but many of her crew were able to clamber ashore and were saved a watery death unlike the crew on Impetueux. The collision had been the final straw and she sank right in front of us. We rescued some but most of the crew went down with the ship.

Name:  018 P1490944.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  68.9 KB
    Bellona was well and truly ablaze by now and I doubted that they would be able to put out such an inferno.

Moments later I was proven correct as she slid beneath the waves, steam rose in a huge cloud as she went down and the few remaining crew jumped in the water, most to their deaths.

In the distance I could see Superb turn away and flee from the carnage, with 3 gallant ships of the line sunk in front of his eyes, I’m not surprised that the Captain decided to save the last remaining ship of the squadron.

Shortly after the Bellona went down our brave Swiftsure followed her to a watery death. We lowered our boats and rescued as many men as we could. It did mean that Superb escaped but it was the right thing for my Capitaine to do even though there was a Court of Inquiry into his actions some months later.

Name:  20.JPG
Views: 442
Size:  95.0 KB
    The ship logs for the glorious Royal Navy, hopefully they are readable.

Name:  19.JPG
Views: 447
Size:  71.4 KB
    The ships logs for the glorious Franche La Marine.
    A resounding victory for our Navy and it presaged a promotion for a young Deuxieme Lieutenant Jean le Vagabond, who was soon to become Premier Lieutenant Jean le Vagabond after this famous victory.

Thank you Hermione I would like a final glass of the 98 to celebrate our victory so long ago now and then I must wend my way down that interminable hill and to my bed, it has been a pleasure to see you again and tell tales of stirring exploits on the sea serving in the French Navy. Hopefully it will not be so long until we meet again.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Vagabond; 04-22-2023 at 16:35.

Three Royal Navy ships sunk just like that. Must be fantasy. Impossible....or should that be "inconceivable", unless that word does not mean what I think it means.

My only question is this...did the French win because they somehow manage to sneak in an extra ship, Le Berwick? Sneaky French!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    Three Royal Navy ships sunk just like that. Must be fantasy. Impossible....or should that be "inconceivable", unless that word does not mean what I think it means.
    Bob on with that Paul.
    The Admiralty inquiry will last for years!

Bligh.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

My only question is this...did the French win because they somehow manage to sneak in an extra ship, Le Berwick? Sneaky French!

Mr Dragon
    We had to loan the Royal Navy, Impeteuex, a long, sleek and beautiful French ship, so it's only fair that we use one of their short, fat, ugly ones to make up the numbers. I'm a little surprised that you would think that there could be anyother outcome of a battle between the two sides when Deuxieme Lieutenant Jean le Vagabond is in command of the main gun deck on the last ship into action.

And another thing, it was Le Swiftsure not Berwick, you seem to have trouble with ship names of late, I recollect mildly reprimanding you on this point recently, please don't let it turn into a habit.

I remember when I was much younger driving Bumper cars at the fair, the game was just like that. I played using the 2 turns planning rule and I'm useless with it. I'm going back to just planning 1 turn in the future.

Thanks for the Rep, that is much appreciated, and also for reading my true and honest account of the action even if you found it "Inconceivable " I've started on the next report so I'll maybe finish it July. but I'll try and do better.

Cheers
    Last edited by Vagabond; 04-22-2023 at 03:53.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Bob on with that Paul.
    The Admiralty inquiry will last for years!

Bligh.
    Admiral, I've decided, in line with too many people that it's time history was rewritten to meet the requirements of the modern audience. By that I mean truth doesn't matter as long as it meets my agenda.

As a well respected member of the Admiralty with the facts at your fingertips, you are going to be astounded nee even astonished at how well the French navy fought against the Royal Navy, winning battle after battle until eventually you will believe it.

I believe in my next fight the American's did extremely well against the British. The Admiralty will be in a spin.
    Last edited by Vagabond; 04-22-2023 at 03:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    And another thing, it was Le Swiftsure not Berwick, you seem to have trouble with ship names of late, I recollect mildly reprimanding you on this point recently, please don't let it turn into a habit.
    Smoke does funny things to one's eyesight. That must be it.

Name:  Le Berwick.jpg
Size:  188.9 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The Admiralty sir, will as usual, rewrite the ships commanders reports to suit the agenda of the Parliamentary party in power.

Bligh.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

"This won't do. It will drive the people in England mad. Write me down a victory." ~ Viscount Wellington 1811 (after Albuera)

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Smoke does funny things to one's eyesight. That must be it.

Name:  Le Berwick.jpg
Size:  188.9 KB

Oh no, I'm going to get sent back to the factory for reprogramming!

Wait a minute, surely I said Swiftsure. the Admirals not the only one who can change history.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    The Admiralty sir, will as usual, rewrite the ships commanders reports to suit the agenda of the Parliamentary party in power.

Bligh.

That's just as it should be. Make it so Mr Spock. I mean Admiral.