Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Default Master and Commander

There's a new book coming out in April about sailing HMS Rose from Newport to San Diego to be converted to HMS Surprise for the movie "Master and Commander ". It's called All Hands on Deck: A Modern High Seas Adventure to the Far Side of the World

Here is some footage from the passage:
    https://youtu.be/GcHWevLkYlc

The cover of the book looks like there are some good stories waiting inside. Rose is shown with her t'gallants apparently struck down to the deck and everything just missing above the main course!
    Last edited by Dobbs; 03-24-2023 at 18:13.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looks very interesting Dobbs and is available on Amazon Kindle from May.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Definitely preordering this one!

The HMS Rose/Surprise can use some publicity for much needed funds!! The dream of course is for Russell Crowe to come along with a sequel and Hollywood $$.

Name:  PXL_20210805_221714345.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  276.3 KB

I believe she was damaged after this photo was taken while being transferred for hull maintenance.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

It appears that not only the HMS Rose/Surprise is in need of maintenance, but also the submarine in the background...

Lt. Bush
    "Jeder Krieg, auch der siegreiche, ist ein Unglück für das eigene Volk, denn kein Landerwerb, keine Milliarden können Menschenleben ersetzen und die Trauer der Familien aufwiegen."
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I believe that is Mr Fulton's latest upgrade to his invention Lt.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Quote Originally Posted by William Bush View Post
    It appears that not only the HMS Rose/Surprise is in need of maintenance, but also the submarine in the background...

Lt. Bush
    Good observation. It was a Russian Foxtrot class attack sub. When I was there in 2021 the public was not allowed on the sub, so extensive was the rust and rot. It has since been scrapped.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_submarine_B-39