Thread: My 17th Century Ships - so far

Hybrid View

Default My 17th Century Ships - so far

My 17th century fleet to date:

Ships painted as Portuguese: all Langton ships. Models used are a British 4th rate (48-56 guns), a Carrack and a "Spanish" Carrack

Name:  Portuguese.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  150.3 KB

Ships painted as Dutch: Models used are Ark Royal yacht, Langton 60-gun Dutch, Ark Royal generic 40-gun, Langton Dutch 30-gun and two Langton Dutch Pinas (20-28 guns)

Name:  Dutch.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  109.4 KB

Ships painted as English: all Ark Royal ships. Models are a flush deck 50-gun and a a generic 60-gun painted as Robert Blake's flagship

Name:  Commonwealth.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  162.8 KB

Ships painted as English: all Ark Royal ships. Models are a generic 40-gun and a generic 70-gun painted as Prince Rupert's flagship

Name:  Royalist.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  149.8 KB

Ships painted as English and not yet rigged: all Ark Royal ships. Models are the Resolution (flying Commonwealth flags) and the Royal Sovereign (flying Admiral of the Fleet flags)

Name:  ARD001.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  136.8 KB

Ships painted as English and not yet rigged: All Ark Royal ships. Models are armed merchantmen - a 4-gun, 2 26-gun and a 6 gun ship.

Name:  ARD025.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  113.0 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for adding these ships to the showcase Paul, and what a fine sight they all make sailing together.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Thanks for adding these ships to the showcase Paul, and what a fine sight they all make sailing together.

Rob.
    Thanks for the rep, Rob. I'll replace the last two photos once the ships are fully rigged. The photos are a result of not being satisfied with my iphone 14 pro max photos and digging out my decade old Samsung NX10 digital camera. I have a tiltable flash attachment for the NX10 so I can bounce the flash off the ceiling which gives a more natural downward light. I find that using the flash on the iphone results in bright, colour destroying light bouncing off the models. The iphone does work well without a flash, even in dim light, but then shadows end up too bright which looks weird to me. So the photos were a test and I was delighted with them. The main problem with the digital when recording a game for SoG or WoG is that when I make a gaming error and have to backtrack to an earlier move it's difficult to do that with the NX10. Maybe I'll use both for future games - the iphone for an immediate record used to correct errors and the NX10 for publication.
    Last edited by ShadowDragon; 03-23-2023 at 09:08.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Interesting Paul, because I have just had my electrician in to wall mount spot lights by my Wargames table so that I can bounce light off the walls and ceiling for the very same reason.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Interesting Paul, because I have just had my electrician in to wall mount spot lights by my Wargames table so that I can bounce light off the walls and ceiling for the very same reason.

Rob.
    I'll be interested in before and after photos to see how it works out.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I can't show you any before photos from before Paul because I have been deleting the ones from before but the after ones are like this.
    Attached Images Attached Images