Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Default Admiral Nightmoss.

Anyone heard from Admiral Nightmoss recently?

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Anyone heard from Admiral Nightmoss recently?

Rob.
    I'm still around Rob, but mostly lurking here as I've not been doing much with SoG as of late. The most recent 'diversion' has been the Victorian Airship game that will be coming from Catalyst game labs called "Leviathans: The Great War". Doing some repaints and photos of the same. Thanks for asking about me. Cheers!
    Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Great to hear from you Jim.
    I'm also in the midst of Home repairs at the moment. All the things have stocked up during Covid, and a table restoration for Captain Smithers, so work on my bench is stalled too.
    Just pleased you are well and still kicking butt, albeit in a different time frame and dimension.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Great to hear from you Jim.
    I'm also in the midst of Home repairs at the moment. All the things have stocked up during Covid, and a table restoration for Captain Smithers, so work on my bench is stalled too.
    Just pleased you are well and still kicking butt, albeit in a different time frame and dimension.

Rob.
    I do have some incredible ships that Vol 3D printed for me, but I have to get off my 'butt' and finish them. While I did start the mast building process, that's also languished with so much else. I can't believe this photo is almost a year old now?!
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That might kick start me back into action Jim.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Jim, by what means do the Victorian ships stay in the air? Also, are the turrets movable?

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    Jim, by what means do the Victorian ships stay in the air? Also, are the turrets movable?
    Hi Dobbs,
    There's a very detailed SF/Fantasy back story to the Leviathans creation. I'll link the 'history' here: https://monstersinthesky.com/

Yes, the turrets do turn and the game is a hex based, I go, You go format. This is the 2nd iteration as the original game lost the molds, etc., when the overseas factory had 'issues'. The Kickstarter was very successful and with any luck they will be releasing the game this Fall.

Jim

Edit: Correction on movement. It's not at all correct to say the game is I go, You go. (I should never post before having sufficient coffee in the morning). Here's a brief description of movement as it was when the original game was released. It's very important to state that movement in a turn is considered simultaneous:

Players roll for initiative, and the losing player must move first. Each player moves their largest Type ship, and then each player moves their second-largest Type, etc. Each ship has its own number of movement points (MP), which can be reduced if the engines are damaged. It costs 1MP to move forward one hex, and 1MP to rotate the ship one hex-face. In addition, there are minimum requirements for how many hexes forward you must travel before you are allowed to rotate. The full rules also include instructions for sideslipping, rotating more than one hex-face, or using offensive or defensive screening.
    Last edited by Nightmoss; 02-22-2023 at 15:27.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

That might kick start me back into action Jim.
    Rob.
    Maybe, the photos will do the same for me, but lately I've been back in the model railroad genre. Just had a big show this last weekend.
    –English Proverb

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Hmmm, someone needs to build a scratch-built aerial HMS Furious aircraft carrier for this Leviathan game.

Name:  SSZ_airship_aboard_HMS_Furious_1918_IWM_Q_20640.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  86.2 KB

I mean, who puts the superstructure right in the middle? An age of discovery
    Last edited by Dobbs; 02-24-2023 at 04:58.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Sounds like a job for Clipper. He has done a lot of seabound carriers on the Drome.

Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Oh, I went quite overboard when the game originally came out. I kitbashed HMS Argus and some other famous ships.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Very fine they all look too. All I have to compete with this is a couple of Ironclads and a submarine for WWI. However, my WWII collection is rather more developed, for German, Italian and British Fleets.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Oh, I went quite overboard when the game originally came out. I kitbashed HMS Argus and some other famous ships.
    Your HMS Argus is fabulous! I gather they offered the flying Titanic hull, or is that also your creation?

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    Your HMS Argus is fabulous! I gather they offered the flying Titanic hull, or is that also your creation?
    Thanks Dobbs. Everything is kit bashed and repaints by me. The Titanic ships came from Revel and as they were the right scale for the 1/1200 sailing ships I had from Rod Langton I bought several of them. The original game released with only the French and British, but this expansion will include Germany, Russia and Italy. There are plans for the US, Japan and Austria-Hungary seeing as it is The Great War, but they wont come until later. Not wanting the US to be left out I did several Great White Fleet repaints too although I had to use the French ships as stand ins.
    –English Proverb

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Jim, your Great White Fleet is pretty nifty too! The bow filigree looks exactly right.

In 1/1200 scale those Titanic models are almost 9" long! Those are big playing pieces.