Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Default What's on Your Workbench for February 2023

These arrived today. Here's a picture before the spanker swap.

Name:  20230203_150428.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  168.3 KB

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Successful mizzen removal and spanker extraction. I determined that the most logical place to separate them was below the fighting top since the topmasts are not identical.

Name:  20230203_162730.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  197.7 KB

The goal is to make a merchant as pretty as Jonas' merchant ship.

https://www.sailsofglory.org/showthr...ighlight=Jonas

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That is the way that I redid a couple of mine Dobbs.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Rob, since you decided to support me on this switch, I thought it best to send you a complete ship and document the transformation.

The new spankers have now been switched and reinforced with carbon fiber pins. Next, they will be glued in place with carbon fiber pins, but first, some rime to dry. I'm using a blend of cyano-acrylade and styrene cement. CaA on the parts where there's carbon fiber.

Name:  20230203_182529.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  188.0 KB

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Carbon fiber pins inserted for standing the masts (of course mine needs shortened yet).

Name:  20230203_193618.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  196.2 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I do much the same with my masts Dobbs, excepting that I use piano wire for the inserts.
    It is very kind of you to do all the conversion for me.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Switcheroo complete!

Name:  20230204_071421.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  139.4 KB

Rob, I will try to ship yours out on Monday.

My Indiaman will be getting new headsails, a dolphin striker, and a bare spritsail yard.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Nice to see Dobbs.

Don't forget to let me know by PM where you want the Paypal directing to.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Name:  20230209_103251.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  195.7 KB

Fitting out of the new Indiaman is coming along.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

She is looking very good Dobbs.
    I think I will now look for any Indiamen I have designated and see if I have enough ships with the rig still in service to alter one or two of my own.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

This morning I set up a fence on my bandsaw to slice SoG bases to speed up making my low profile bases. With judicious use of push sticks to keep my fingers safe it significantly reduced the sanding time. I was able to make a finished base in about 5 minutes.

Name:  20230210_082725.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  162.9 KB

The picture shows Before to the left, After the Slice in the middle, and Finished to the right.

Name:  20230210_084709.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  187.8 KB

3 more successful slices!
    Last edited by Dobbs; 02-11-2023 at 07:00.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

I see your level of ambition, Mr. Dobbs:

By this cutting-edge undertaking you strive for a shortcut to victory and possibly for the short cut of HMS Victory at the same time.
    The sea saw no such upraising thought bearing down on our enemies.

By cutting short my praise, I shall curtail my words lest I find myself assigned to such a dog of a watch.

Lt. Bush
    Last edited by William Bush; 02-10-2023 at 08:53.
    "Jeder Krieg, auch der siegreiche, ist ein Unglück für das eigene Volk, denn kein Landerwerb, keine Milliarden können Menschenleben ersetzen und die Trauer der Familien aufwiegen."
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

U-pun my word, Mr Bush! If English is your second language, I shudder to think what you can do with German!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I am out punned by jove. Pun it again Mr Bush

Bligh.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    U-pun my word, Mr Bush! If English is your second language, I shudder to think what you can do with German!
    I usually keep my mouth shut and confine my mastery of German to forlorn attempts of construing the deeper intricacies of the common parking violation ticket, a threat looming menacingly over any carriage foolishly venturing to linger stationary in these parts for longer than the blink of an eye...

Unsurprisingly, I thus make post-haste out to the sea, for over there prohibitive signs will sink beneath the waves like a French frigate under the weight of a full broadside discharged by a proud English 1st rate ship of the line.

Lt. Bush
    "Jeder Krieg, auch der siegreiche, ist ein Unglück für das eigene Volk, denn kein Landerwerb, keine Milliarden können Menschenleben ersetzen und die Trauer der Familien aufwiegen."
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I just translated your footnote William.
    Nothing could be more true of the conflict of war.

Rob.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    I just translated your footnote William.
    Nothing could be more true of the conflict of war.

Rob.
    Indeed.

That is why I chose it. Remarkably, this quote was made by Helmuth von Moltke the elder.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmut...ltke_the_Elder

Probably the hardest thing for a responsible commander to do is to issue orders of which he knows that some men carrying them out with good faith and trust in him, will die as a consequence.

And yet, alas, there are times in which war must be led. With resoluteness and without "Scholzing".
    Evil only prevails if good fails to fight with resolve and in a timely manner.

Lt. Bush
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That certainly rings a bell today, but we must not bring politics into the Anchorage so we have probably said enough William, before we both overstep the line.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Name:  20230212_120918.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  115.6 KB

The newly finished Indiaman (with blue and yellow trim) and a sistership sporting the gaff spanker.

On my first Indiaman I swapped fore and mainsails because I thought a merchantman with t'gallants was a little bold. I kept them on the new one.
    Last edited by Dobbs; 02-12-2023 at 11:14.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Thank you very much for the Rep, Mr Bush!

I had so much fun making that one and so satisfied with the outcome that I might have to get another Indiaman! I really like the brown hulls. The Amsterdam has made me want one with green and red trim.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

I had so much fun making that one and so satisfied with the outcome that I might have to get another Indiaman! I really like the brown hulls. The Amsterdam has made me want one with green and red trim.
    The one with the blue trim in the picture reminded me quite a bit of the Batavia in the Netherlands that has been mentioned in the other thread by Argo.

Lt. Bush
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Started four more Anglo-Dutch war ships. These are Ark Royal miniatures - a 70-gun, 40-gun, 60-gun and 50-gun ship.

Name:  Ark Royal Ships - English.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  122.1 KB

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    Started four more Anglo-Dutch war ships. These are Ark Royal miniatures - a 70-gun, 40-gun, 60-gun and 50-gun ship.

Name:  Ark Royal Ships - English.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  122.1 KB
    Having had a quick look at their website, I was surprised that these ships come at a price per piece which is significantly lower than a SoG Ship Pack. All right, no base, no movement deck, and unpainted, BUT these are metal and not plastic.

How come about the price?

Lt. Bush
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

The market is willing to pay a lot more for "ready out of the box" than do-it-yourself. Mind you, do-it-yourself can end up looking very nice. See the Langton Miniature's website which has a wide range from ancient to the American Civil War and even WW1 coastal.

http://www.rodlangton.com/

These are examples that I built with the Langton Anglo-Dutch range with the exception of the Haarlem, which is Ark Royal. Note that the Langton have brass etched sails while the Ark Royal are cast metal and integral with the masts, so it requires a different method of rigging. I used thread for the Langton ships and broom bristles for the Ark Royal.

Name:  Dutch_Fleet_Final_3.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  142.2 KB

Name:  Dutch_Fleet_Final_4.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  175.3 KB

Here's a few more Langton's - a couple of Portuguese nau (carracks) and a 46 gun frigate. These were used in an AAR I posted last year.

https://www.sailsofglory.org/showthr...(17th-Century)

Name:  Portuguese_Fleet_Final_3.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  168.3 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Great work Dobbs.
    I hope you will bring us a green and red trim ship before too long.

RTob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

A very imposing squadron of Dutch ships there Paul.

Rob.

A very imposing squadron of Dutch ships there Paul.

Rob.
    Thanks, Rob...and for the rep. Now for an English squadron; although it might have mixed loyalties - for King or Commonwealth. The 70-gun ship will be done as Prince Rupert's Constant Reformation. Interestingly, Prince Rupert spent more time as an admiral than as a general.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Sounds good, although I hope you are not going to have that Lord High Admiral robber Rupert of the Rhine or his brother Maurice prancing about on the poopdeck. I much prefer Admiral Blake myself.

Rob.

P.S. Curse that predictive text! I'm sure I never wrote prancing.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    The market is willing to pay a lot more for "ready out of the box" than do-it-yourself. Mind you, do-it-yourself can end up looking very nice. See the Langton Miniature's website which has a wide range from ancient to the American Civil War and even WW1 coastal.

http://www.rodlangton.com/
    Beautiful models that you have built!

And an interesting website. Once more, I am surprised what kind of stuff one can buy - beginning with etched rat lines... Fascinating!

Lt. Bush
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Sounds good, although I hope you are not going to have that Lord High Admiral robber Rupert of the Rhine or his brother Maurice prancing about on the poopdeck. I much prefer Admiral Blake myself.

Rob.

P.S. Curse that predictive text! I'm sure I never wrote prancing.
    Robert Blake, Rupert and Maurice will all be there since my intention is to build up the fleets for the battles starting with the Rupert's run from the Tagus to the Caribbean. The 60-gun and 50-gun will be two of Blake's ships (St. George, Resolution or Leopard). I'm not sure which ship I'll do the 40-gun as - maybe the Swallow.

I will need 6 Royalist English ships plus 3 fireships, 2 French, 4 Portuguese vs 12 Commonwealth English for the initial breakout from the Tagus. I've got 3 Portuguese done and will have 2 and 2 English (for Royalist and Commonwealth). I expect that I'll press gang some of the Dutch ships above into service for one side. (ETA: Nope, I have enough without press ganging the Dutch. I just have some work to do - 20 more in addition to the 4 above. ).
    Last edited by ShadowDragon; 02-13-2023 at 16:50.

Quote Originally Posted by William Bush View Post
    Beautiful models that you have built!

And an interesting website. Once more, I am surprised what kind of stuff one can buy - beginning with etched rat lines... Fascinating!

Lt. Bush
    Welcome to this very fascinating hobby, Lt. Bush.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I will be interested to see that scenario once you get it up and running Paul.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Have you read this book Paul?
    Rupert of the Rhine: The Pirate Prince. by George. Edinger.

Or this one by Maurice Ashley?

Rob.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Name:  20230217_183025.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  116.2 KB

A few years back I made this little cutter from a Langton kit graciously supplied by Admiral Bligh. Instead of the brass mainsail, I opted to use a spanker from a scrapped 1st rate to keep the sails looking like SoG ships. I was never satisfied with the result so I decided to redo it while I was building a sistership. Sails scratch built from sheet styrene and rod.
    Last edited by Dobbs; 02-17-2023 at 17:13.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

Name:  20230217_183025.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  116.2 KB

A few years back I made this little cutter from a Langton kit graciously supplied by Admiral Bligh. Instead of the brass mainsail, I opted to use a spanker from a scrapped 1st rate to keep the sails looking like SoG ships. I was never satisfied with the result so I decided to redo it while I was building a sistership. Sails scratch built from sheet styrene and rod.
    This cutter probably has its own Movement Deck?

Lt. Bush
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by William Bush View Post
    This cutter probably has its own Movement Deck?

Lt. Bush
    I used the C deck, but because it is primarily a fore and aft rig it had more generous sailing angles than the square riggers.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You have done a cracking job with that mainsail Dobbs.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Name:  20230220_090832.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  244.4 KB

I'm working on an interpretation of a local island, Garrett Island.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Garr...ile-gws-wiz-hp

It's not exactly in a location that would have much ship action, but the town downstream did play a part in the Revolution and War of 1812.

Also on the stocks is the pictured cutter.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Will it have a stockade or gun emplacements Dobbs.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Historically, there's no mention of guns. It's mostly wooded with swamp to the east. Wikipedia says it was farmed around our time period and there's a foundation visible where I put the house. There's another foundation at the north end where I put the compound. I think in reality it's a late 19th century building but there is mention of some sort of stockade.
    Last edited by Dobbs; 02-20-2023 at 18:33.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

So maybe you would have some excuse to build a stockade around it if you so wished?

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

The new cutter joins the fleet.

Name:  20230224_083144.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  132.9 KB

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

The new cutter joins the fleet.

Name:  20230224_083144.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  132.9 KB

Very nice - I like those!

Lt. Bush
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

A couple of Cutters suitable for a cutting out exploit, or the landing of marines to take a battery or semaphore station by gad sir.
    Bligh.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Thank you, gentlemen, for the Rep!

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Less workbench then library... as I wait for SWAS to ship next month I'm hoovering up every book with old ship draughts I can lay my filthy hands on... found this chart from John Fitzhugh Millar's Early American Ships (Thirteen Colonies Press, 1986) of great relevance to us here comparing ship sizes.

This suggests a 900-ton East Indiaman and a large Fifth Rate two-decker are pretty close to size parity.
    Last edited by Diamondback; 03-03-2023 at 12:37.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Interesting find DB, and very clear elevations to my failing eyes too.
    Rob.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

I also sent that chart to Rob and Andrea at Ares in the hope that maybe it will help keep scale in focus when/if they come back to Napoleonic. As it is I'm tempted to work up a cross-reference chart indexing everything in BWAS/FWAS to Ares models and Turner/Mann/other 3rd-party sculpts. (Side note, I really wish the Sails-oriented 3p's would coordinate efforts to plug more holes faster and avoid duplication of effort.)

My commentary to Ares: "Victory, Elizabeth, Eagle and Bristol are all covered by existing models and Falcon is IIRC covered by Swan, Princess Royal as a typical 900-ton EIM is probably statistically similar to the Groignard 900's like pre-refit BHR. Brilliant and similar 12pdr 36's are probably reasonably close to SGN101/103 anyway (frankly, most of us on the Stats Committee treat the Concordes as "statted as 36's" anyway) and I think could be represented by the SGN103 Amazon sculpt, so that leaves the 44-gun Roebuck two-decker (gesturing frantically at HMS Serapis) and the 20-24-gun light Sixth Rates as the sticky spots since we can just use a watered-down Amazon for a 28. Actually, maybe not even that--we usually treat most Swan as the 16's they were uprated to and Thorn as the 20 that was her heaviest refit, so maybe in math terms the smallest Sixths should just be a slightly juiced and bit beefier version of Thorn's basic stats."
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    I also sent that chart to Rob and Andrea at Ares in the hope that maybe it will help keep scale in focus when/if they come back to Napoleonic. As it is I'm tempted to work up a cross-reference chart indexing everything in BWAS/FWAS to Ares models and Turner/Mann/other 3rd-party sculpts. (Side note, I really wish the Sails-oriented 3p's would coordinate efforts to plug more holes faster and avoid duplication of effort.)

My commentary to Ares: "Victory, Elizabeth, Eagle and Bristol are all covered by existing models and Falcon is IIRC covered by Swan, Princess Royal as a typical 900-ton EIM is probably statistically similar to the Groignard 900's like pre-refit BHR. Brilliant and similar 12pdr 36's are probably reasonably close to SGN101/103 anyway (frankly, most of us on the Stats Committee treat the Concordes as "statted as 36's" anyway) and I think could be represented by the SGN103 Amazon sculpt, so that leaves the 44-gun Roebuck two-decker (gesturing frantically at HMS Serapis) and the 20-24-gun light Sixth Rates as the sticky spots since we can just use a watered-down Amazon for a 28. Actually, maybe not even that--we usually treat most Swan as the 16's they were uprated to and Thorn as the 20 that was her heaviest refit, so maybe in math terms the smallest Sixths should just be a slightly juiced and bit beefier version of Thorn's basic stats."

As you are obviously contemplating about ship types not yet thoroughly represented by ARES, how about these:

- Just plain merchant ships (less well armed than India-Men). This could open the door to convoy / escort actions.
    - Small craft, i.e. cutters.
    - Lateen rigged craft - not yet represented at all and with different sailing properties that the square-rigged ships available now.
    - Boats (along with rules) which could be launched from larger vessels for boarding actions, cutting-out actions, landing-actions in combination with on-shore batteries.

In my humble opinion these would be of greater benefit to the game overall as adding something between the 20 to 28 gun range or 44 to 50 gun range.

Lt. Bush
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.