Thread: Dedicated Forum Section for Rules Questions and Tactics & Strategy?

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

Default Dedicated Forum Section for Rules Questions and Tactics & Strategy?

Gentlemen,

in these days, many people don't use forums any more as their first address for communication as they believe that other channels like Discord or similar services are better suited. I will not judge on that.

Personally, I like forums and believe that they are superior to other channels as a resource for a game. A forum is less fleeting and can be better structured.

That said, after a short cruise through this forum, I am surprised to find - or rather not to find - a dedicated section for Rules Questions on one hand and for Tactic & Strategies within the frame of SoG on the other.

With "The Chippy Shop" one such dedicated section does exist for the handicraft part of the SoG hobby, though.

Are there particular reasons for this or am I missing something as a newbie around these parts?

Lt. Bush

Edit:
    My bad, I was stuck in the "off duty" section of the forum. There is a dedicated section for rules questions in the "Napoelonic" part.
    But what about Tactics & Stategies?
    "Jeder Krieg, auch der siegreiche, ist ein Unglück für das eigene Volk, denn kein Landerwerb, keine Milliarden können Menschenleben ersetzen und die Trauer der Familien aufwiegen."
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Maybe tactics and strategies are something the more experienced players don't want to reveal.

Have you found the section on AAR's and especially the Campaign games, 2015 to 2020, I think those are the dates, there are some gems both for scenarios and tactics.
    Cheers

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Maybe tactics and strategies are something the more experienced players don't want to reveal.
    Possibly so. Personally, I see no substantial reason for such an approach, though.

Really experienced players would not lose anything by teaching and revealing the basic tricks of the trade but rather speed up the learning process of new players that might eventually develop into a meaningful challenge to the grognards.

Those players who might actually 'lose' anything be revealing their tactics would probably be those, who are acquainted to each other from conventions or tournaments anyway, which are less likely to be attended by novice players.

Have you found the section on AAR's and especially the Campaign games, 2015 to 2020, I think those are the dates, there are some gems both for scenarios and tactics.
    Cheers[/QUOTE]

I did find the AAR section and gave it a peek here and there up to this point. Some things can, of course, be gleaned form AARs, but it's not the same than dedicated discussions about tactics.

That said, I am well aware of the fact, that the fastest method to learn a game is 1) to play a lot 2) against experienced opponents.

With a community of overseeable size which is mainly dependent on face-to-face play, the opportunities to do the latter might be sparse unless you are lucky enough to live close to them.

Lt. Bush
    "Jeder Krieg, auch der siegreiche, ist ein Unglück für das eigene Volk, denn kein Landerwerb, keine Milliarden können Menschenleben ersetzen und die Trauer der Familien aufwiegen."
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Don't tack if your opponent is upwind.

It does seem like a good line of discussion. It could also cover how the gameplay compares to historical reality.
    Last edited by Dobbs; 01-29-2023 at 17:26.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Lt Bush, my first sentence was a tounge in cheek and rather weak attempt at humour not a serious comment on players not being willing to help with advice on tactics. Sorry, please accept my apologies for missleading you.

Dobbs I've just played the 2016 game The Blockade. One side is escaping from a river anchorage 4 ships in line astern. The wind is favourable but over the course of 5 or 6 trurns it clocks round about 180'. I tried to tack and then get back into line, it was a nightmare just coping with the wind shift but then the enemy arrived.

Reading Admiral Robs comments at the end of his AAR "I could not believe it. They came out of harbour perfectly, and just a slight change in the wind caused havoc" sums it up completely. It was a most interesting game, but took me 3 days off and on to finish it, mainly because I had ships scattered all over and trying to chase upwind was as frustrating on the table as it is in real life.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I will have to look up what I put John. A lot of water has passed under the bridge since then.
    If you would all like a dedicated section on Tactics I will bring it before the Admiralty Board for consideration.
    It never really came up excepting bits of advice in individual posts down the years, but if anyone feels like doing a search and co-ordinating such, then feel free to do so and I will create a sub forum for it.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Lt Bush, my first sentence was a tounge in cheek and rather weak attempt at humour not a serious comment on players not being willing to help with advice on tactics. Sorry, please accept my apologies for missleading you.
    All is well, no offence taken, no need for apologies, Vagabond.

You know that Germans are notoriously bad at sensing humour and excessively fond of having to explain jokes.

Lt. Bush
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Re your latest PM Lt. Bush, you may also find the filessection of interest.

https://www.sailsofglory.org/downloads.php?do=cat&id=3
    https://www.sailsofglory.org/downloads.php?do=cat&id=4

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.