Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Default A Quick Match

Name:  image000000.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  146.3 KB

My friend Ray and I spent the morning blasting away at each other with to 5th rate 38's. Once more, I snatched defeat from the jaws of victory!

This is merely a photo of the opening tableau. We got into the game too hot and heavy for more pictures.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You may have posted this before Dobbs, but could you please give us a close up shot of that wind indicator mat on the Port side bottom corner of your photograph.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

As requested, a picture of the Wind Indicator mat:

Name:  20221221_091439.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  176.7 KB

Here are the PDF's and instructionsfor use:

Wind Table - Ocean.pdf

Wind Table - Coastal.pdf

Wind Table - Shifting.pdf

Here are some wind tables I developed. I use a plus and minus chit from the original game wind chits as well as one clockwise and one counter-clockwise chit. I roll at the start of each turn before cards are chosen.

I felt there needed to be three different "styles" of wind, for the open ocean, near coastal, and bays or headlands where the wind is always shifting.

My idea is to make the wind able to wander, but always trend toward the speed and direction that it was at the start of the game.

For wind speed, if an increase or decrease is rolled, the appropriate marker is placed on the Wind Gauge. On subsequent turns, if the same effect is rolled, the speed changes and the marker is removed. If the opposite is rolled, nothing happens and the marker is removed from the Wind Gauge. If No Effect is rolled and a chit is out, the chit stays. If the wind speed increases from the speed at the start of the engagement, a modifier of -1 is added to the die roll each turn. If the wind speed decreases from the speed at the start of the engagement, a modifier of +1 is added to the die roll each turn.

For wind direction, if a wind shift is rolled, the appropriate marker is placed on the Wind Gauge. On subsequent turns, if the same effect is rolled, the direction changes and the marker is removed. If the opposite is rolled, nothing happens and the marker is removed from the Wind Gauge. If No Effect is rolled and a chit is out, the chit stays. If the wind direction shifts counter-clockwise from the direction at the start of the engagement, a modifier of +1 is added to the die roll each turn. If the wind direction shifts clockwise from the direction at the start of the engagement, a modifier of -1 is added to the die roll each turn.

I allowed for a greater range for the wind, but the tables work with just the regular three wind settings in the middle. I print the sheets out, cover the print with some self-laminate, and spray some adhesive on the back to attach them to a bit of cardboard or craft foam.

The keen observer may have noticed in the first picture the white ring around the pointer. I have taken to making wind shifts 22.5 degrees instead of the original 45.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Dobbs. Just the ticket.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

I figured out how to save them as images.

Name:  Wind Table - Ocean.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  137.5 KB

Name:  Wind Table - Coastal.jpg
Views: 75

Name:  Wind Table - Shifting.jpg
Views: 105

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Even better Dobbs.
    Rob.