Thread: Oblique Fire and HMS Shannon

Ordinary Seaman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Howard

Default Oblique Fire and HMS Shannon

I thought the Anchorage might appreciate this discussion over on FB. It discusses traversing of guns to achieve oblique fire and the gunnery innovations of HMS Shannon, as well as some anecdotes from the Master and Commander film.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/patr...0270405424753/

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

That was a lot of fun. I have just been reading "The Fortunes of War" by Patrick O'Brian covering the Shannon/Chesapeake action.

In scrolling down the FB page I saw the interesting cannon. Here's one I came across the other day.

Name:  20230801_191519.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  361.8 KB

Name:  20230801_191528.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  339.5 KB

Name:  20230801_191559.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  217.9 KB

It's like a carronade, but breachloading. It looks like someone at the other end of the 19th century thought that there might be a use for the return of them, but riled too! The black sleeves conceal springs to absorb the recoil.
    Last edited by Dobbs; 08-24-2023 at 17:39.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Interesting little chaps Dobbs. I would not park my car in that parking lot opposite!

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by SkeenaH View Post
    I thought the Anchorage might appreciate this discussion over on FB. It discusses traversing of guns to achieve oblique fire and the gunnery innovations of HMS Shannon, as well as some anecdotes from the Master and Commander film.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/patr...0270405424753/
    A very interesting bit of research Howard. I took the liberty of copying a couple of the diagrams for future use.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Hmm... maybe HMS Shannon, for each chit thrown, draws two and selects which one gets applied? (Chit by chit, this means on a 3 broadside draw two and apply one, draw another pair and apply one, repeat a third time, not draw six all at once pick three.)

Or would just throw back and redraw zeroes be better?
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Ordinary Seaman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Howard

I think since Broke's training emphasised accuracy which increased the chances of hits, perhaps return zeroes and redraw, although this is a big advantage. It's essentially the 'Good Aim' card but as a permanent effect. Perhaps allowing the 'Good Aim' card to be used 4 or 5 times per engagement may be fairer, or perhaps for the first 4 or 5 broadsides (after which accuracy would decline given fatigue, heated gun barrels etc).

I think selecting between chits already drawn allows for upgrading damage, and while accuracy was increased, damage was probably still dependent on lady fortune to an extent...

I have ordered Broke of the Shannon book and will probably order the reprint of the Evolution of Naval Armament which discusses gunnery: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/56777

I love rabbit holes!

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

An interesting aside for those that don't know already but Broke's name is pronounced "Brook" :)

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    An interesting aside for those that don't know already but Broke's name is pronounced "Brook" :)
    That is an interesting aside. I didn't know that, and it adds a conversational level that reading doesn't always do.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

The other question is, should this be treated as Unique to Broke, or a Crew/Equipment ability? Did anybody else follow his example, or did later captains of Shannon continue the practice?

Alternately, maybe allow use of full Main broadside value in either Fore or Aft fire arcs once per game? Did Broke set up only for range or did he train 'em dialing in for azimuth off center-of-LOF too?
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

As we have no conclusive evidence as to any other captain following Brokes idea, and until someone uncovers any, I suggest that we treat Broke as a special case. The simple answer is to follow Howard's thinking with the good aim card.

Rob.