Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's on your Workbench for September 2022

Default What's on your Workbench for September 2022

The current heat wave has forced me inside so I have spent some time in the dungeon shipyard. I started printing some 1/450 scale hulls to go with my Pyro plastic Constitution model.

Name:  20220827_083458.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  379.9 KB
    From bottom up: the hermaphrodite schooner Prince de Neufchatel, brig Niagra, HMS Guerrier, HMS Indefatigable, Constellation, and the Pyro Constitution.

This is my progress so far on the Guerriere

Name:  20220828_133026.jpg
Views: 714
Size:  262.8 KB
    Name:  20220902_163923.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  111.0 KB

And I just printed Simon's resin STL file for Arrogant on my FDM Creality in 1/450 scale and it came out awesome! It even has the cannon bores.

Name:  20220902_163048.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  136.5 KB
    Name:  20220902_163117.jpg
Views: 685
Size:  106.1 KB
    Name:  20220902_163157.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  123.9 KB
    Name:  20220902_170920.jpg
Views: 752
Size:  243.7 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Mighty fine ships and paintwork, both Vol. The details are exquisite.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Well yesterday did not go so well. I had planned on working on the ship some more after doing some dusting maintenance on my Gualic army. While doing so I knocked the entire tray violently to the floor with the back of my office chair. What a mess! Bases,shelds and spears everywhere! And the poor chariots! It took me late into the night to make repairs. I am still missing one shield, lol.

My newly repaired Celts
    Name:  20220904_084259.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  154.0 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That sounds tragic Vol.

It reminded me of the time years ago that I was going to overspray a completed Regiment of Prussians with Matte Varnish. I inadvertently picked up a can of white primer instead and did the first quick pass before realizing that the slight bloom on the varnish was in fact turning all the troops a light greyish white. I keep my varnish on a separate shelf from my other aerosol paints these days.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

I was able to mount a few spars and a couple of sails yesterday.

Name:  20220906_080257.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  239.6 KB

And I printed two of Henry's 74s, Ganges and Elizabeth the day before. They took nearly 7 hours apiece to print.

Name:  20220904_152813.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  153.1 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Starting to look very fine Vol.
    Rob.

This evening I concentrated on making the furled courses and royals using Super Sculpy. There was time after they were finished to get the mizzen roral and main course mounted.

Name:  20220906_190042.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  295.2 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The furled sails also look excellent Vol. What exactly is Super Sculpy?
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    The furled sails also look excellent Vol. What exactly is Super Sculpy?
    Rob.
    Rob it is a heat cured sculpting clay. I don't use an oven, I use my heat gun to cure it. That gives me more control of the temperature and cure time.

Name:  20220907_084453.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  271.7 KB
    Name:  20220907_084516.jpg
Views: 654
Size:  159.2 KB

Wow! great work. I wonder if I can print in resin without cutting the models in half!

Vol - I have a scenario suggestion for your Constitution model - print the HMS Levant and Cyane! Actually both that battle and the one you are working on will work well with Dobbs mash up of SoG and Post Captain.

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    Wow! great work. I wonder if I can print in resin without cutting the models in half!

Vol - I have a scenario suggestion for your Constitution model - print the HMS Levant and Cyane! Actually both that battle and the one you are working on will work well with Dobbs mash up of SoG and Post Captain.

Thanks Eric. Sounds like a good idea but I'm not sure what ships of Henry's or Simon's would be usable for the Cyane and Levant. Maybe the Pandora for Cyane, but Levant is a bit harder. Henry has a 20 gun Ontario snow with a raised quarter deck that would be wrong. Simon has the Enterprise which is a a bit small. I suppose I could fudge the 156% to increase the size a bit more and add a couple of guns. What do you think?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Vol. I will try and run some of that to earth over here.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Found it , ordered it on Amazon, and added the adhesive pack too.
    Thanks again Vol.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Can't disclose my main line of attack for September because it is a suprise for Doncaster, but I will put up as few shots of my other ongoing work as soon as I get back onto it.
    Rob.

Found it , ordered it on Amazon, and added the adhesive pack too.
    Thanks again Vol.

Rob.

You are welcome Rob! Uh...adhesive pack?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    You are welcome Rob! Uh...adhesive pack?
    Yes Vol. It is supposed to enable the joining of small details to the main body of the Sculpy without the need for undue pressure distorting the still pliant parts. Also for joining parts after they have hardened. I will let you know in due time how good it is after trialing it.
    Rob.

Some completed Spanish militia to repel my Dutch privateers.

Name:  Spanish Milicianos (1).jpg
Views: 657
Size:  192.5 KB Name:  Spanish Milicianos (2).jpg
Views: 641
Size:  208.5 KB

Wow Paul! They are beautiful!

Wow Paul! They are beautiful!
    Thanks, Vol...and also for the rep.

Thanks Eric. Sounds like a good idea but I'm not sure what ships of Henry's or Simon's would be usable for the Cyane and Levant. Maybe the Pandora for Cyane, but Levant is a bit harder. Henry has a 20 gun Ontario snow with a raised quarter deck that would be wrong. Simon has the Enterprise which is a a bit small. I suppose I could fudge the 156% to increase the size a bit more and add a couple of guns. What do you think?
    The benefits of 3d printing, you can change the scale! But good question, I am not sure which model to use. A number of years ago I played that battle in 15mm scale using Sea Eagles ships and the 1/96 scale Connie. The sloop we used was a model based on the HMS Detroit but it was a bit generic.

Moving on with the sails today, too smokey to work outside

Name:  20220910_144231.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  242.9 KB

And printing 1/450 boats

Name:  20220910_144715.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  154.6 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Coming on very well with those sails Vol. Your militiamen look superb. Is the smoke caused by fires in the State? We usually get the news about these things but at the moment our media are concentrating on the late Queen.
    Rob.

Not so bad as last year Rob but there are fires all around us. None too close but the smoke is bad just about any direction the wind blows from.

Name:  Screenshot_20220911-080519_Chrome.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  157.3 KB
    Name:  Screenshot_20220911-080725_Chrome.jpg
Views: 654
Size:  129.2 KB

We are in the SE corner of Stevens County

Ordinary Seaman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Howard

We are watching the fires up here in British Columbia and sending best wishes to our neighbours to the south.

It appears there are more than a few up there Howard

Name:  Screenshot_20220911-222314_Chrome.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  111.2 KB

Ready for ratlines

Name:  20220911_145319.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  311.2 KB
    Name:  20220911_155903.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  193.6 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I hope that the fires in your countries die down soon. The temprature here has now dropped to the low 20s and we are getting showers of rain again so the few fires we had are now gone.
    Rob.

Progress on the painting queue....

Technically only half the French on the right are September workbench product. The rest were done earlier this year. It's enough to get my first Franco-Prussian War skirmish game done but it will need to wait until next week. This week I head to Alberta for my sister's much delayed memorial service - delayed 2 years due to the pandemic.

Name:  IMG_5329.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  123.4 KB Name:  IMG_5330.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  156.8 KB

They look fantastic Paul!
    So sorry to hear you lost your sister Paul. And sad your family hasn't been able to have closure for so long.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Those troops are looking good Paul. Although not my strongest historical suit, I do have a passing knowledge of the weapons used in the conflict.
    I would like to echo Vol's comment about your sister. One can only imagine the distress of waiting that this has caused the family.

Rob.

Thanks, chaps.

Progress on Guerriere last night. Ratlines, some of the standing rigging and the rest of the sails on.

Name:  20220912_185902.jpg
Views: 572
Size:  256.7 KB
    Name:  20220912_185911.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  239.0 KB

While working on the ship I am printing a batch of ACW ironclads for a friend in Bournemouth

One of the batch CSS Selma
    Name:  20220912_210717.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  139.8 KB
    Last edited by Volunteer; 09-13-2022 at 09:45.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I haven't had much time to work on ships, or any hobby, for some months, but I did manage to repaint some ships from the Steampunk miniatures game "Leviathans" recently. This is HML Medusa (His Majesty's Leviathan) in dazzle paint scheme. The new 'edition' of the game is going to tackle World War One so painting a British ship this way seemed appropriate.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Wow Jim that is a very intereresting ship. Is it a flyer? And what scale?
    Oh I guess it is, I just noticed the "cloud" it's resting on.

I finished Guerriere today. Here are the "beauty" shots

Name:  20220914_152717.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  252.3 KB
    Name:  20220914_152737.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  264.1 KB
    Name:  20220914_152745.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  185.6 KB
    Name:  20220914_152757.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  220.8 KB
    Name:  20220914_152805.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  262.9 KB
    Name:  20220914_152814.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  240.2 KB
    Name:  20220914_152823.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  186.8 KB
    Name:  20220914_152846.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  222.3 KB
    Name:  20220914_153442.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  261.4 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

A veritable work of art Vol, and fighting under her French colours.

Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Wow Jim that is a very intereresting ship. Is it a flyer? And what scale?
    Oh I guess it is, I just noticed the "cloud" it's resting on.
    Yes, Vol. It's the British battleship from the hex based miniature game. The original game had French vs British, but the next game with feature five nations fighting WW1 aerial battles; France, England, Germany, Russia and Italy. If all goes well they eventually add Japan, USA and Austria-Hungary.

btw, I'm still working on the Rayo you were kind enough to print for me. Just haven't had time or inclination to move forward.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I finished Guerriere today. Here are the "beauty" shots
    The ship looks incredible, Vol. I wish Rory could see how well it looks! He'd amazed.
    –English Proverb

A veritable work of art Vol, and fighting under her French colours.

Rob.
    Haha, you caught me Rob! I was so anxious to finish the ship that I mounted the French colors instead of the intended British ensign, without even a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    The ship looks incredible, Vol. I wish Rory could see how well it looks! He'd amazed.
    Thanks Jim.
    Yes, I really miss him

Paul, Jim and Rob,
    Thank you for the rep points gentlemen!

Ok I am trying to determine the proper RN ensign for the Guerriere. The paintings show the Red, the Blue and the White so no help there. Any suggestion on where else to look?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I have had a quick look and annoyingly found only the Admirals in charge of the Halifax station until Jan 1812, and post August 1812 when Sir John Borlase Warren was appointed so have no idea under whose flag Guerriere sailed at the time.
    I will carry on looking when I get a few more moments free.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Vol, you could always contact someone at the USS Constitution, and explain your project. I'm sure their history folks would love to answer that one.

I have had a quick look and annoyingly found only the Admirals in charge of the Halifax station until Jan 1812, and post August 1812 when Sir John Borlase Warren was appointed so have no idea under whose flag Guerriere sailed at the time.
    I will carry on looking when I get a few more moments free.
    Rob.
    I found the same Rob, very frustrating! There is a painting done in 1814 by a prison hulk French POW that shows the blue ensign. I am leaning that direction.

Dobbs, that is a good suggestion. Nightmoss sent me a contact at the museum to try.

I sent an email enquiry to the USS Constitution Museum. But to be honest, I don't expect much. I watched their video on the famous action and it includes visuals showing all three British ensigns as well, haha

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Whilst sitting in the eye hospital this afternoon I had time to reflect and figured on the chance that as the post seems to be vacant between Jan and August the ensigns used may well have remained that of the former incumbent until Warren arrived on station.
    Dave Manley may well be able to shed some light on the protocol for this.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just came across this from a document in the Maritime museum.

The British government, engaged in a global war with Napoleonic France and with its financial and military resources stretched, had little desire to begin another conflict across the Atlantic in North America. Meanwhile, the hawks among American politicians realised that their country was perhaps not quite as prepared in terms of material resources (or eager, at least in the northeastern United States, where a profitable merchant trade was flourishing with British North America) to go to war with Britain and her remaining North American colonies. After much diplomacy, tensions eased, and an infuriated Admiralty Board recalled Berkeley to London, replacing him with Admiral Sir John Borlase Warren on 15 October 1807. Warren took over command on Berkeley's departure from Bermuda on 27 February 1808. Warren himself was replaced as station commander by Vice Admiral Herbert Sawyer on 26 November 1810, taking over command on Warren's departure on 21 January 1811. Sawyer would remain in Halifax until Warren's return after the start of the War of 1812. Meanwhile, on the 16 May 1811 another incident involving HMSLittle Belt, during which the much more powerful USS President opened fire on the smaller sloop without any warning, heightened naval tensions to even greater levels, and foreshadowed the coming conflict.

Rob.

Wow Rob I just found this myself, and then jumped on to post it and found your message, haha

"By early 1810, he was made second-in-command of Portsmouth dockyard and, by the end of the year, was again promoted; this time to the rank of vice-admiral. In 1810 he was appointed to the post of commander-in-chief of the North American Station[1] – his father's old command – which he held during the War of 1812 before relinquishing it in 1813."

So which ensign is a Vice-Admiral, blue or white?

So if he was a newly promoted vice-admiral, after 1805, that would make him a Vice-Admiral of the Blue. So I think Blue it is. Thanks for the help.

Seniority was therefore from 1805 to 1864:

Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral of the Red Squadron (rank created in 1805)
    Admiral of the White Squadron
    Admiral of the Blue Squadron
    Vice-Admiral of the Red Squadron
    Vice-Admiral of the White Squadron
    Vice-Admiral of the Blue Squadron
    Rear-Admiral of the Red Squadron
    Rear-Admiral of the White Squadron
    Rear-Admiral of the Blue Squadron