Hello there,

I own a few Wings of War/Glory planes, but haven't really played many games. However, I really like the system and I have always loved Napoleonic-era ships (I have played more than a few hours of Naval Action, a Caribbean placed MMO with ships). However, I found close to no info in my language (Spanish) so decided to just read through a few forums to see what game suited me best. As I'm also registered in the brother forum wingsofglory, this one was the easiest to find.

First of all, I don't know if I want to invest in this game or I should go for Black Seas, so I'll just copy-paste what I posted in Reddit (People are suggesting Black Seas more) and have you all help me decide. I'm familiar with the maneuver deck system, as well as the damage chits. I made a list of the thinks I want, and the disadvantages I find:

• The good:
    • Nice looking prepainted Napoleonic-era ships
    • Simultaneous actions, which means every player is busy
    • Basic rules and more advanced options, which allows to easily adjust the difficulty of the game
    • Favours small skirmishes over fleet battles, so it can be enjoyed with just a few ships. To be honest, I'm more than happy just playing frigates/brigs skirmishes/encounters/chase.
    • It's damage system puts penalties on crew and ship, it's not just a basic damage points system.
  • The bad:
    • Starter sets are hard to find. Out of stock in many places, expensive in second hand market and specially in Europe, I found some in the USA but shipping costs are really high.
    • Quite expensive for okayish looking ships. I mean, I have never ever painted a mini, but at least I can progress and while I'm at it use unpainted minis for a lot less. Also, the scale makes they're less detailed than 1/600 and 1/700 games.
  • The ugly:
    • Different ships use different maneuver decks. I know that's one of the most important things of the system, but it also makes it harder to use models other than the official minis. I could scan and copy the cards I have, but if I want to use a ship that makes use of another maneuver deck, then I have to buy a ship that has it.

I've seen other AoS wargames are Black Seas and Oak & Iron. There is plenty stock of their starter sets, both are somethat cheap as I don't care about painting the ships to start playing and I could make acrylic rulers easily to make it easier to play with more people. However, there is no simultaneous movement and I still haven't yaken a deep look into their damage system, but there is a damage point counter that makes me shiver. Not having simultaneous movement might be interesting to take into account being windward or leeward (how does SoG manage this) and I've been told there are different ammunitions, weapons and specific damage in more advanced rules than the ones the redditor played, but they exist. I've been also told that Black Seas allows to shoot mid movement with a penalty, but it's an interesting mechanic.

I have to add I've seen a different system with movement rulers and a more complex movement system implemented by a fellow member of the forum and I liked it, but I'm not sure if it's better to adopt this system or just go straight to Black Seas and it's bigger more detailed minis, with it's original movement rulers system.

People who have played both, please enlighten me.