Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's on Your Workbench for April 2022?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Default What's on Your Workbench for April 2022?

Overnight I glued down my second element of the three, and sealed it with PVA.

Today it was undercoated and I began to assemble the structures and paint them.

You can see it here juxtaposed with element one, the Old town.

Rob.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Bligh; 04-02-2022 at 04:12.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Rob, are the long buildings in your city the Brigade Terraced Houses? I'm looking for barracks for my Fort McHenry and those look promising. I am planning to order goodies to be waiting for us when we get home.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Hi Dobbs.

Yes they are mainly a mix of sss-8012 terraced houses, and sss-8166 French Market Square, but for your purposes the terraces with a bit of judicious filing and cutting would suit the best.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

The pastic Bounty kit is coming along with some modifications.

Name:  20220401_182447.jpg
Views: 735
Size:  149.8 KB
    Name:  20220401_182455.jpg
Views: 733
Size:  178.1 KB

Strange mounds I finally figered out were supposed to represent rope coils, were in the way for mounting the cannon, so I had to remove half of them.
    Name:  20220401_182508.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  145.0 KB
    Name:  20220402_220232.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  203.5 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Smart as paint Vol lad Arrr!

Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 04-03-2022 at 08:54.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Now here is one I didn't have to make earlier.
    A nice little bounty from Brigade Models. Also with a ship to give you the scale.
    Rob.

Looking good, Vol and Rob. That Bounty is worthy of a proper mutiny and the fort of a proper siege.

Thanks Paul and Rob.
    Is that Brigade fort in their 2MM collection? I hadn't seen that one before. I have several of their forts and they are outstanding IMO.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

It is new Vol.
    This is the code for it in the Mediterranean collection
    Last edited by Bligh; 04-04-2022 at 00:45.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

It's actually in the Mediterranean collection.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

There is also this new fort in the Spanish Forts section Thanks Dave I corrected the other one.
    Rob.

Really nice looking stuff there and reasonably priced

The Dutch for taking on the Portuguese nears completion. The four ships at the back without sails are Langton - the leading ships are Pinnaces (20-26 guns) followed by a 30-gun with a 60-gun to port. I will have to finish painting the brass sails for these, put them on the ships and then start the rigging and final touches. If I did this again I would put the sails on the masts before gluing them into the ship hulls. The ships in front are Warfare Miniatures (Ark Royal) ships - a jacht and a 40-gun ship. The masts are cast metal. The main and fore masts of the 40-gun haven't been glued in as I will be doing the rigging for this ship using bristles and I will work from the back to the front for the standing rigging. Thread rigging looks not to be an option for the Ark Royal ships. After doing the rigging for the Ark Royals I will then decide if to use bristles or thread for the Langtons. The Langton ships seem to be made for thread rigging. I've done thread rigging on the Portuguese and after doing the Ark Royals with bristles I will have a good idea of the effort / result of each.

Name:  Dutch Fleet.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  226.6 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

They really look the ticket Paul.
    I must get my Dubrovnic finished this month so that I can get back onto painting my ships again.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Part two of Dubrovnic is almost completed now.
    Just a few trees and rocks to add.
    Last edited by Bligh; 04-06-2022 at 13:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    They really look the ticket Paul.
    I must get my Dubrovnic finished this month so that I can get back onto painting my ships again.

Rob.
    I'm quite looking forward to your finish project, Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

After two months research and three months at the workbench so am I Paul, so am I.Rob.

Also many thanks for the Rep.

Looking good Rob!
    And I love your Langtons Paul! Never tried that era, you make them look so good

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Looking good Rob!
    And I love your Langtons Paul! Never tried that era, you make them look so good
    Thanks, vol. Later era ships are so elegant but there’s something about that sprit sail that speaks, arrrr, to me. LoL

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Today I completed my Fort and start the other end of the project tomorrow.

Wow! That is fantastic and more than rep worthy,

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You can begin to see why they called it the Gibraltar of the Adriatic Paul.
    Thanks for all the Rep.
    Rob.

Wonderful Rob!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thank you Vol and thank you also for the Rep.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just started terra forming the other end of the coastline for Dubrovnik.
    Last edited by Bligh; 04-08-2022 at 04:14.

Are you doing the entire Adriatic coastline, Rob????

Progress on my 17th Century Dutch ships. Finished the rigging for the two Ark Royal ships - a 40-gun generic and a jacht. The rigging was done with fibre. I can't see how I would do it easily with thread. However, the remaining four ships are Langton ships and I will use thread for those. I found the fibre actually more difficult and time consuming - and with more cursing. There's still a bit more painting needed on these - touch ups, ratline blocks, etc. I'll leave the sea bases until the Langton ships are ready.

Name:  Dutch Fleet 1a.jpg
Views: 894
Size:  173.2 KB Name:  Dutch Fleet 1b.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  224.0 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    Are you doing the entire Adriatic coastline, Rob????
    It seems to be a bit like that Paul. Watch this space tomorrow.

Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Some new additions to the shipyard

First, the start of my generic merchant fleet for convoy actions. An East Indiaman... or two

Next a couple of second rates for the RN, London Class

Some more second rates, Barfleur Class

Last some bowsprits, courtesy Simon Mann and our own Texas, to go with the previous shown masts

Those are some nice looking prints Chris!

Working on building the channels and chains that were nonexistent on the model.

Name:  20220407_205824.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  181.8 KB
    Name:  20220407_205904.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  233.6 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    Some new additions to the shipyard

First, the start of my generic merchant fleet for convoy actions. An East Indiaman... or two

Looking good Chris.
    You have a regular shipyard down there in Bristol now.
    With regard to your PM. I could use a couple of those small merchantmen and the same for the Second Rates. How do I go about re-imbursing the originator for his workmanship and files?

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You are certainly enhancing that model with all your additions Vol.
    Great work.
    Rob.

Dubrovnic harbour looks awesome, Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thank you my dear Comte, and thanks also for the Rep points.

I hope to have the whole thing completed in about a week.

Rob.

The Dutch fleet of the Indian Ocean, mid-17th century takes sail. The 4 Langton ships now have sails attached - fixed rigging and ratlines are next. Next time I build a Langton ship I'll do what they say which is to assemble the masts and sails before gluing into the hull. Oh well, it's a learning process. A battle looms with the Portuguese fleet in Goa - maybe the week after Easter.

Name:  Dutch Fleet 2.jpg
Views: 766
Size:  157.4 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I look forward to your action with relish Paul.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just finished the last part of the town and its environs terrain. Now just need two more pieces to complete the run along the games table.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

One more down and one to go!
    Rob.

Wow Rob! That is one ambitious terrain endeavor, like your Barbary coast. Do you use them more than once, or are they specifically built for a show or convention game?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

This one is for Doncaster weekend in September, but like all the others elements of it will be used at other shows during the next year, often just to add a bit of visual interest to the games to draw in the punters.
    Rob.

Understood

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I will also use it in some of my AARs Vol.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here is today's progress on the last terrain section.
    Rough terra forming completed and ready for sealing with dilute PVA and then undercoating.

Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Great looking terrain as always Rob, just found a martello file if any needed

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for the comments Chris. No more towers to add now, but I will bear it in mind for the next time.
    Thanks.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here is my progress for today.
    I sealed the terrain overnight.
    This morning I refined some of the coatline and hills, then undercoated the lot.
    After lunch I started adding the base coat for the rock faces.
    Rob.

I completed the anchor details tonight.

Name:  20220412_201305.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  167.3 KB
    Name:  20220412_201329.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  166.0 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The detail in your work is excellent as usual Vol. It is almost worth Rep just for that part of the ship.
    Great stuff.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Today I completed the last link in the terrain.
    Tomorrow back to put the finishing touches to the city itself.
    Rob.