Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What's on Your Workbench for April 2022?

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Those ships are very exciting Chris. At long last we are starting to get a range of the lesser obtainable ones which have eluded us for so long.
    Keep up the good work.
    Rob.
    Yes Rob, I agree, a little investigation and quite a few items are about for printing.
    If required the My Mini site has some “Generic” models instead of specific ships, all of which could be used, but for now named types are doing well enough.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Those Mars class from My Minifactory, are they from Age of Sail Minis Chris? The side by side boats remind me of the old Davco/Triton minis.
    Hi Vol, the company selling the Mars are called “saturnaliastudios” part of their Trafalgar range. This is not an exhaustive collection though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    I have toyed with the idea of doing ships boats to a larger scale for landing parties or boarding actions Paul, but the price of a large pair of ships has always pout me off.
    That looks like a good compromise.
    How much was that one?
    Rob.
    It's listed at $70 USD on the Firelock site but there's a good game store in Toronto (Meeplemart) that has great prices. I got the tartana from Meeplemart for $67 CAD. Don't ask my how Meeplemart does that but their prices are great across all product lines and their service is excellent too. They are my first shopping stop for kit.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Talking of ships boats, there is a file for these, including crewed boats. Will get a pic asap

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Chris.
    We can never get enough ship's boats.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Pretty quiet on the boards the last few days!
    Here is my slow progress on Bounty

Name:  20220427_192948.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  163.8 KB
    Name:  20220427_192959.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  156.9 KB

Looking great, vol.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That really is impressive Vol. I recognised my old command at a glance.
    Bligh.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Now for my sins, here are a few shots of the labour intensive and now completed port of Dubrovnic.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Bligh; 04-28-2022 at 09:40.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Last edited by Bligh; 04-28-2022 at 09:40.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Revelin Fortress.
    Last edited by Bligh; 04-28-2022 at 09:39.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Fortress Lovrjenac.
    Last edited by Bligh; 04-28-2022 at 13:17.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Kommandantur.
    Last edited by Bligh; 04-28-2022 at 09:39.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Piletor.
    Last edited by Bligh; 04-28-2022 at 09:38.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Mincetta Tower.
    Last edited by Bligh; 04-28-2022 at 09:38.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

St John's Fortress.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Jesuit steps, church and Monastery.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks are due to both Paul and Anthony for the Rep and comments which they have sent to me.
    Many thanks chaps. Now I can concentrate on my ship painting ready for the May Workbench.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks are now also due to Captain Duff for even more rep.
    I am overwhelmed chaps.
    Rob.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Dubrovnik came out gorgeous, Rob.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

It is absolutely awesome!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for the comments DB, and also for yours and the Rep Vol.

Rob.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Sorry I'm a little late but there is some outstanding work on the April Workbenches.
    The Bounty looks great, Paul your ships are wonderful and Rob your Dubrovnik is just superb. The printed ships are little marvels as are the Warlord ones as well.
    Some very inspirational work, thanks to you all.
    Cheers

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Hi John.
    Thank you for your kind remarks and also for the Rep.
    I hope to be able to Rep you back soon for another of your stirling Jon Vagabond adventures.
    Now that Dubrovnic/ Ragousa is off the workbench and on the table I'm hoping to get back to gaming myself pretty soon.

Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Sorry I'm a little late but there is some outstanding work on the April Workbenches.
    The Bounty looks great, Paul your ships are wonderful and Rob your Dubrovnik is just superb. The printed ships are little marvels as are the Warlord ones as well.
    Some very inspirational work, thanks to you all.
    Cheers
    Good to see you're safely back in the anchorage. Thanks for the rep....and to repeat what Rob wrote, I too hope to read another Jon Vagabond adventure.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    Found this on the MyMini Factory

Mars Class, which is good for me as my avatar Capn Duff fought at Trafalgar on HMS Mars a large 74
    need to check the masts and sails to check size with Ares models

Nice! To work with Ares those models should be 54mm long on LGD.

Does anyone have a source on no-sails masts, preferably one-piece units, in 1/1000? I have some of Henry's prints with his hulls but I'm thinking bare yards with thinner paper sails might be better.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Will check my files DB think there are some such, just need to check if I have or not

Landsman
    Netherlands

Log Entries
    Name
    Lex

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    I've completed the Dutch fleet for the battle against the Portuguese off of Goa. There's one extra ship which will not be in the battle; it's the Wassenaar (60 guns) which is a nod to the village of Wassenaar, which was my home for 9 years - long enough for a war, eh? The two pinnnaces, Bredamme and Franeker, are flagged for the VOC. The Wassenaar belonged to the Admiralty of the Maas, so I've given it the Rotterdam flag as its home flag. The Zierikzee has the flag for that city (red with a black lion). There's no reason I've given the VOC ships orange for the national flag. I just wanted some with the earlier version.

Attachment 58030 Attachment 58031 Attachment 58032 Attachment 58033 Attachment 58034 Attachment 58035 Attachment 58036
    impressive Paul! The ships and total fleet look awesome, My family originates from Franeker so nice to see a ship named after the town.
    (Rob pointed me to the tread, thanks Rob.)

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I thought you would like these Lex. The Franeker connection is just a bonus I did not know about.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Opdam View Post
    impressive Paul! The ships and total fleet look awesome, My family originates from Franeker so nice to see a ship named after the town.
    (Rob pointed me to the tread, thanks Rob.)
    That’s cool, Lex. Glad you liked the ships. I should replay the Goa battle but I’ve been waiting for the complete Mad for War rules to be published.