Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's on Your Workbench for March 2022?

That is a very impressive fleet Paul

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good to see the representation of something a little different for a change Paul.
    Well done.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    The Portuguese fleet is done for a scenario set in 1633 between the Portuguese and the Dutch off of Goa. Now to do the Dutch. The names of the ships in the photos are the ones they will represent in the scenario.
    Fantastic looking fleet!
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    That is a very impressive fleet Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Good to see the representation of something a little different for a change Paul.
    Well done.
    Rob.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Fantastic looking fleet!
    Thanks, chaps...and for the rep. Wondering about statistics and manoeuvre decks for this period. The rest can probably be extrapolated from equivalent SoG ships.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Well at long last, my first ships off the shipyard

First Spanish 64 San Fulgencio class

Next French Virginie class Frigate

Last British Southampton class class Frigate

All ships from Simon Mann reduced to size
    more on the way

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Also a couple of sets of Simon Mann/Jonas masts and sails the 1/1000 set

made a few spares for the inevitable cockups.
    The mast bottoms will be wire as per Simon Manns system. Will post more once installed.

Now at long last I can replace the wrong ships from my Trafalgar game and replace the short Spanish , French and British ships foe the fleets.

Simon's ships are beautiful aren't they Chris

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

They are indeed Vol, and all are the correct size so are excellent additions to my fleet.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Ships and sails look really nice! Looking forward to seeing a finished ship.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Great looking prints Chris, and thos sails look much more sturdy too.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Yes they do. I have as yet been unable to successfully print any of the accessory files like sails or anchors.

I finished the latest infinity booknook yesterday so I went back to work on the HMS Bounty this afternoon. All of the regular sails are on. Next to go on is the standing rigging.

Name:  20220319_162502.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  117.7 KB
    Last edited by Volunteer; 03-20-2022 at 09:23.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Coming along very well Vol.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I finally got started on Fort Lovrijenac which is my last major scratch build for Dubrovnic.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

During the day I glued those parts together and fettled the edges.
    Last edited by Bligh; 03-22-2022 at 14:28.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Today I added most of the rear of the fort.

So many bits to that fort Rob. Anxious to see what the end result will look like.

I started on the running rigging tonight.

Name:  20220322_183241.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  127.0 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Your ships just get better and better Vol. It is starting to look just like the ones that you see in museums!
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

When completed the fort should look something like this. Rob.

Ah, ok I see it now Rob. What fort is that and where?

Haha, thanks for the comment. But truly I have spent little time on this ship. I just wanted to quickly get one done after spending so much of the winter on those three booknooks for my daughters. I did a half job on the masts and went back to paper sails rather than the cloth I had been using. And I even scrimped on the sail detail. But if it looks good to you that's great.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The fort is Lovrijenac at Dubrovnic. Captured by the French in 1802 and thus a good place for some spoiling raids by the British.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here is today's progress. The first outer wall has now gone on.
    Rob.

Thanks Rob

I finished the rigging this evening. Just the ensigns left to do. I am not sure which to use. Some paintings show Bounty with the red ensign and an equal number show her with the white.

Name:  20220323_202600.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  145.8 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

A lot of that will be to do with her role. As a hired merchantman she may still have flown the Red merchant ensign, but directly under the Admiralty orders she may have flown White. Dave Manley may well be the expert to ask about this.
    Rob.

So on the infamous voyage to Tahiti she flew the white ensign, ok thank you for that. White it is.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Vol, I only said expected! I would get Dave to confirm it. Do send him a Pm.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Now, weren't the white, red, and blue all navy flags at that time? It just depended which admiral you were operating under?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That is true Dobbs, but the Mercantile Marine also used the red duster. If you were sailing directly under Admiralty Orders rather than a specific Admiral's command you flew the white.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Yesterday I added the other outer wall.

Just the ends, top a few stairs and a Saint in his niche to do and she will be ready for undercoating.
    Rob.

Here is the finished armed vessel HM Bounty under Admiralty orders to procure breadfruit from the South Pacific islands.

Name:  20220325_192515.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  194.7 KB
    Name:  20220325_192523.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  191.4 KB
    Name:  20220325_192607.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  179.7 KB

Shown with HMS Pandora

Name:  20220325_192653.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  173.5 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Houston, we have a problem.
    I am opening Pandora's box.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news Vol, but you are flying the wrong ensign and national flag.
    The Union did not take place until 1801, so the red saltire would not be included during the Breadfruit mission of 1789.

Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 03-26-2022 at 02:08.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Here is the finished armed vessel HM Bounty under Admiralty orders to procure breadfruit from the South Pacific islands.

Shown with HMS Pandora
    Impressive ship, photos and scenery. Looks beautiful, Vol!
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Yesterday I added the other outer wall.

Just the ends, top a few stairs and a Saint in his niche to do and she will be ready for undercoating.
    Rob.
    Very nice detail work, Rob.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here is today's offering. A Saint Lawrence iconic statue in a niche.

Tomorrow hopefully the fore building drawbridge and endless flights of steps.

Houston, we have a problem.
    I am opening Pandora's box.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news Vol, but you are flying the wrong ensign and national flag.
    The Union did not take place until 1801, so the red saltire would not be included during the Breadfruit mission of 1789.

Rob.
    So ot wasn't the white ensign after all? I wondered about the jack, I couldn't quite make it out in the painting well enough to be sure. So it would be the original jack then. I will get them changed.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

It was still called the white ensign just did not have the red saltire.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 03-27-2022 at 03:55.

It was still called the white ensign just did not have the red saltire.
    Rob.
    OK so no jack at all then. Easily removed. And I now realize the white ensign I used is also post 1801. Not sure if I have the earlier enaigns. Pandora is wrong as well.
    Thanks Rob, you are a scholar and a gentleman!
    Last edited by Volunteer; 03-27-2022 at 10:01.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You can find them in the hobby section of the files Vol.

https://sailsofglory.org/downloads.php?do=cat&id=4

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here is the fort now completed and undercoated.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 03-28-2022 at 00:50.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

OK so no jack at all then. Easily removed. And I now realize the white ensign I used is also post 1801. Not sure if I have the earlier enaigns. Pandora is wrong as well.
    Thanks Rob, you are a scholar and a gentleman!
    Darned close on both flags, Vol. Just ditch the diagonal red stripes and you're home!

Ok Rob how is this?

Bounty
    Name:  20220327_192920.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  205.9 KB

Pandora
    Name:  20220327_192931.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  224.6 KB

Just checked the ensign on my HMS Captain and it is the correct pre-1801 flag. Guess I just wasn't thinking with these last two ships.
    Last edited by Volunteer; 03-27-2022 at 21:11.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That's a beauty Vol.
    I remember her with fondness, although not so in the case of Mr. Christian!

Bligh.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Fort painted yesterday. Now just the guns and flag to add. I wonder if I should do the 1802 version of the French flag?
    Rob.

Wow the fort looks amazing Rob. I would never have imagined it from the initial photos at the start.

Oh and thanks for the added rep points sir.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You more than earned the rep Vol.
    Today I started roughing out the headland to place the fort and juxtapose it with the Dubrovnic old town.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Also thank you for the return of Rep Vol. I just discovered your posting.
    Rob.

Wow! Dubrovnik is spectacular Rob!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Vol.
    The Old town is almost complete now. Just a few more buildings and flights of steps to add, and then I can put in the planting around the buildings and age the whole thing. Then it is on with the last two supporting tiles at the right side of the town as you look at it. Only a bridge and a few outerworks there though.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Todays work comprised a bit more terra forming around the fort and a few more walls taking shape, but tomorrow I'm back to making loads of steps.

ob.

... but tomorrow I'm back to making loads of steps.
    Great seeing this project, Rob, unfold one step at a time.