Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's on Your Workbench for March 2022?

Default What's on Your Workbench for March 2022?

This month I'm working on Henry Turner's HMS Bounty to go with the last ship I built, HMS Pandora.

Name:  20220307_121219.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  134.9 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looking very fine Vol. I have yet to start my Bounty. That will follow my Dubrovnik model and HMS Captain.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Looks nice, Vol. Will we see breadfruit being thrown overboard or was that all 'story' for the masses?
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

It's on the workbench, but I'm not sure how much progress I'll manage the remainder of the month. This is Simon's Rayo (100 gun) which Vol was kind enough to print out for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You just have to admire the look of those ships whenever you see them Jim.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Those are really nice looking masts and yards too. Are they printed? Are the yards separate from the masts? I ask because to my eye it looks like the tops and t'gallants are not fully hoisted? My understanding is that the topsail yards should be just under the crosstrees, similar to the course yards. That would lead to the t'gallants needing to be raised.
    Last edited by Dobbs; 03-08-2022 at 08:05.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    You just have to admire the look of those ships whenever you see them Jim.
    Rob.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    Those are really nice looking masts and yards too. Are they printed? Are the yards separate from the masts? I ask because to my eye it looks like the tops and t'gallants are not fully hoisted? My understanding is that the topsail yards should be just under the crosstrees, similar to the course yards. That would lead to the t'gallants needing to be raised.
    Rob, what amazes me about these 3D prints is the quality of results when these are not resin print jobs.

Dobbs, I took metal masts from the Black Seas 1st Rate HMS Royal Sovereign. While they look OK to me they are pretty much reviled by the Warlord Games community for being extremely flexible and not entirely accurate. I'm sure Vol can go into greater detail than I can, but as I don't have the skill or patience to build my own metal masts these will have to do until Warlords comes up with something else. Folks keep asking for plastic 1st rate masks, but nothing is likely to be forthcoming.
    –English Proverb

Jim, the metal is so soft that it easily cuts. Just cut off the lower course spar with furled sail, the fighting platforms and cross trees. Then drill them out where the masts were. Insert rods and voila! You now have sturdy masts with minimal effort. Seems like an expensive way to acquire masts at the exorbitant price Warlord charges per ship.

Progress on my 17th Century ships - I've just put on the sails. Next steps are standing rigging, ratlines/shrouds, running rigging and sea bases with paint touch ups and repairs along the way. These will be Portuguese - a 46 gun frigate and two carracks. I will need to do four Dutch ships to fight them.

Name:  Port Fleet 1.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  173.9 KB Name:  Port Fleet 2.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  214.1 KB

Nice Paul, I do like the look of the brass sails.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Those ships look very stately Paul. I can just imagine them ploughing across the Indian Ocean to the East Indies.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Jim, the metal is so soft that it easily cuts. Just cut off the lower course spar with furled sail, the fighting platforms and cross trees. Then drill them out where the masts were. Insert rods and voila! You now have sturdy masts with minimal effort. Seems like an expensive way to acquire masts at the exorbitant price Warlord charges per ship.
    Thanks for that suggestion, Vol. I'll see what I can accomplish. And yes, using the Warlord masts is an expensive route so perhaps I should investigate other options. Thanks again.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

The 17th century ships look great. I definitely like the attention you put into the sails.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quick question for you Vol. If I were to attempt making metal masts for my 1st Rates do you have wire gauge sizes and various measurements on your blog? I probably have more than enough plastic sheets and such for an attempt. Thanks in advance.
    –English Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Quick question for you Vol. If I were to attempt making metal masts for my 1st Rates do you have wire gauge sizes and various measurements on your blog? I probably have more than enough plastic sheets and such for an attempt. Thanks in advance.
    I probably do somewhere on the blog Jim, but I would have to search for it. Here are the sizes I have used for the 1/700 scale ships, I am assuming that is what you are asking for. 1st & 2nd rates are the top 3 for the masts. 3rd & 4th rates are 2-4. 5th rates are 3-5. Spars are #6. I buy all of these from Hobby Lobby. Hope that helps.
    Name:  20220309_193114.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  133.2 KB

The mizzen sails are on but I had to stop to make two furled main courses for the other two masts.

Name:  20220309_190758.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  117.6 KB

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I probably do somewhere on the blog Jim, but I would have to search for it. Here are the sizes I have used for the 1/700 scale ships, I am assuming that is what you are asking for. 1st & 2nd rates are the top 3 for the masts. 3rd & 4th rates are 2-4. 5th rates are 3-5. Spars are #6. I buy all of these from Hobby Lobby. Hope that helps.
    Many thanks Vol. This is exactly what I'll need if I try to give it a shot.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Looking good, Vol! The sails are amazing.
    –English Proverb

Many thanks Vol. This is exactly what I'll need if I try to give it a shot.
    More than welcome Jim. And if there is anything else I can do to help please let me know, either here or PM or email. And you have access to the blog. I am still basically using the same method for building masts as shown in the tutorial on the blog.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

At last I have made enough progress with Dubrovnik to post a new picture. After a couple of weeks painting endless buildings this week I have been mainly adding windows. Enough to give you at least an idea of what the old town will look like. then I just have the inland boards to add.

Rob.

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

Dubrovnik really is brilliant work.

I can almost see road traffic in there.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Dubrovnik is breath-taking! I think about the handful of windows I have struggled with and see that and my hands start to shake.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

More than welcome Jim. And if there is anything else I can do to help please let me know, either here or PM or email. And you have access to the blog. I am still basically using the same method for building masts as shown in the tutorial on the blog.
    Thanks Vol. I just ordered some wire for 1st and 2nd rates. We'll see how it goes.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    At last I have made enough progress with Dubrovnik to post a new picture. After a couple of weeks painting endless buildings this week I have been mainly adding windows. Enough to give you at least an idea of what the old town will look like. then I just have the inland boards to add.

Rob.
    That is quite spectacular, Rob. Hopefully you don't get a hernia from hefting all the metal and resin!?
    –English Proverb

Truly another amazing terrain piece Rob! You are the master!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for all your comments gentlemen.
    First Gary, if they made road traffic in that scale it would be there.
    Yes Dobbs. I had to do them in batches of about five before my nerves went and my concentration lapsed. Then I needed a break.
    Jim. Not all that heavy, and I am a paid up member of the National Truss.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just spotted the Rep remark Vol.
    Thank you.
    Rob.

Well deserved Rob!

I mounted the spars and sails to the main mast this evening.

Name:  20220311_183255.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  119.3 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You have made a superior job of those furled sails Vol.
    Rob.

One big step closer....the standing, ratlines and running rigging done on the 50-gun frigate but just the standing rigging and ratlines done on the carracks. I will do running rigging for the carracks; I just haven't decided just how as (1) there's no guide for the rigging as there is for the Langton Napoleonic and Anglo-Dutch ranges and (2) the sails don't have the little rings on the corners to attack the running rigging.

Learned a fair bit as this was my first job rigging a Langton (with the exception of some standing rigging for an American Civil War steamer which was a pretty minor job compared to this). I don't have enough fingers and toes to count the mistakes but from a game viewing distance (vs camera close up) I won't notice.

To do - (a) running rigging for the carracks, (b) painting touch ups of the ships including the blocks on the ratlines, (c) flags and (d) painting/varnishing of the sea bases.

Name:  Port Fleet 3.jpg
Views: 917
Size:  187.8 KB

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Well deserved Rob!

I mounted the spars and sails to the main mast this evening.
    The furled sails look fantastic, Vol!

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    One big step closer....the standing, ratlines and running rigging done on the 50-gun frigate but just the standing rigging and ratlines done on the carracks. I will do running rigging for the carracks; I just haven't decided just how as (1) there's no guide for the rigging as there is for the Langton Napoleonic and Anglo-Dutch ranges and (2) the sails don't have the little rings on the corners to attack the running rigging.

Learned a fair bit as this was my first job rigging a Langton (with the exception of some standing rigging for an American Civil War steamer which was a pretty minor job compared to this). I don't have enough fingers and toes to count the mistakes but from a game viewing distance (vs camera close up) I won't notice.

To do - (a) running rigging for the carracks, (b) painting touch ups of the ships including the blocks on the ratlines, (c) flags and (d) painting/varnishing of the sea bases.
    Very impressive rigging work!
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

The great experiment is about to begin. We'll see how well it goes. I'll be checking Vol's blog for tips and tricks on making metal masts as this is all new to me.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

These are another fine looking set of ships coming along very well Paul.
    Thanks for keeping us abreast with your progress.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Today all I have done is stripped down Dubrovnik again and highlighted the walls forts and coastline.
    Tomorrow I hope to get the green slime and seaweed plus murky bits and then start to glue on the outer defences.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I also just spotted your Rep comment Paul so thanks for that as well. I am not getting any notifications at present so have to spot the Rep and new users myself.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Today after gluing down the city walls. I positioned and glued the first of my scratch built buildings. The Jesuit steps and ajoining Church and seminary buildings.
    Last edited by Bligh; 03-14-2022 at 01:48.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

I've been away for awhile, but I see everyone's skill and creativity is as mind-blowing as ever!

Rob those detail building photos almost look like drone shots over real buildings. Just needs some people.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good to have you back Jason. Also thanks for the Rep.
    Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Spent a couple of days printing out 3rd rate sails and masts ready to start on my upgrading of Ares last two waves.
    All have come out ok as has the ratline maker from wargaming3d, need to get some cotton now to try this out.
    Have a free day this week so will get all the pics finally uploaded to the site.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

For a first attempt at making my own metal masts I'm satisfied. It was definitely a learning experience. I need to trim the fighting tops once the glue is dried and more details for the lower masts has to be added, but using the 'two foot rule' this will look ok once all the rigging, etc. is added.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    Spent a couple of days printing out 3rd rate sails and masts ready to start on my upgrading of Ares last two waves.
    All have come out ok as has the ratline maker from wargaming3d, need to get some cotton now to try this out.
    Have a free day this week so will get all the pics finally uploaded to the site.
    Be interested to see your results Chris.
    As an aside I have found the 45th Regt. scaling party for the siege of Badajoz Castle for you.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-47787688

Rob.

Getting there - the two carracks are now rigged which was by guess and by golly. I perused numerous pictures of carracks and naus and in the end adapted the Anglo-Dutch rigging guide to what seemed to make sense. If it's wrong then I say it should be as it was "fantasy" rigging. :) The rest is easy. The flags are printed out but I always touch up with paint. I'll do that when I touch up paint nicks on the ships. Then the bases...some cool AK Interactive sea gel just arrived today!!!

There's something about rigging that adds "weight" and even "salt" to a model ship.

Name:  Port Fleet 4.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  163.6 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That set of masts is also looking good Jim.
    Rob.

For a first attempt at making my own metal masts I'm satisfied. It was definitely a learning experience. I need to trim the fighting tops once the glue is dried and more details for the lower masts has to be added, but using the 'two foot rule' this will look ok once all the rigging, etc. is added.
    Pretty good for a first try Jim! I have found a fingernail clipper makes an easy job of trimming up the tops while in place.

Getting there - the two carracks are now rigged which was by guess and by golly. I perused numerous pictures of carracks and naus and in the end adapted the Anglo-Dutch rigging guide to what seemed to make sense. If it's wrong then I say it should be as it was "fantasy" rigging. :) The rest is easy. The flags are printed out but I always touch up with paint. I'll do that when I touch up paint nicks on the ships. Then the bases...some cool AK Interactive sea gel just arrived today!!!

There's something about rigging that adds "weight" and even "salt" to a model ship.

Name:  Port Fleet 4.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  163.6 KB
    They are looking good Paul. And you are right about the rigging too, plus it helps hold things together when the ships sail off the edge of the 'world' and hit the floor.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    Will definitely be interested in seeing how the 3D sails turned out.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Pretty good for a first try Jim! I have found a fingernail clipper makes an easy job of trimming up the tops while in place.
    Great tip, Vol. I have those and something I think is described as a cuticle cutter which might also work? Thanks!
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Noted! It is a very good tip Vol.
    Rob.

The Portuguese fleet is done for a scenario set in 1633 between the Portuguese and the Dutch off of Goa. Now to do the Dutch. The names of the ships in the photos are the ones they will represent in the scenario.

Name:  Portuguese_Fleet_Final_1.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  172.4 KB Name:  Portuguese_Fleet_Final_2.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  184.7 KB Name:  Portuguese_Fleet_Final_3.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  168.3 KB Name:  Portuguese_Fleet_Final_4.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  154.1 KB