Thread: Doncaster con 2022

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Default Doncaster con 2022

This thread will be for members who intend to attend the uk Doncaster convention this year 2022.
    If you are a member of the Wings forum please post your preference on the companion thread on that forum.
    If you are not on the Wings forum make your choice and place here as I will collate.

Doncaster 2022 badge
    Good day to all,
    I wish to get a start on this year’s commemorative item.

We have a possible choice which we would like to offer.

Choice 1. A pin badge as we currently have, it will be light blue same design as usual with Doncaster 2022 inscribed.

With this choice we would need to know numbers by mid April. We will then get the price and publish but then payment be made by the end of May. If you order a badge then , sorry , but you will be expected to pay for it, without exception.
    Reason being the badges are paid for in advance upon ordering so we have to recoup the monies. These days spares cannot be ordered so if you commit to a badge you pay for it. Badges will then be given at this years Doncaster meet.

Choice 2 This year we may be able to offer a custom t-shirt or polo shirt, a blue in colour, to be determined. The intention will be to have an embroidered motif, possibly our wings motif with Doncaster 2022 underneath.

Choice 3 Nothing, nada, nowt, sod all

So we need a consensus as to which choice those attending Doncaster this year would like to have.
    If we get a choice for option 2 we will then explore the viability of the shirts.

For the choice please look and let us know by the end of March

I will colate the numbers and choice.

Over to you guys
    Last edited by Capn Duff; 03-07-2022 at 07:27.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Reserved for numbers

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Is Option B the same as Option 2?

Either way, I'd opt for 2. Or B.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Have amended the sentence Dave, option 2 it is

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Can I sign on here Chris or do I have to go to the Drome?
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Either Rob, I will transfer from here to the wings and wheedle out any duplicates

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Chris.
    In that case it would be choice one for me, and one for Mrs Bligh.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just one week to go to this annual get together.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The battle of Ragusa/DUBROVNIK.

The objective was that the British squadron of Frigates under command of Commodore William Hoste should clear the coast of French warships prior to investing the city of Ragusa and landing guns to command the heights overlooking the city.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1423.jpg  
    Last edited by Bligh; 10-07-2022 at 13:44.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here we see the British protagonists making their grand strategy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1422.jpg  
    Last edited by Bligh; 10-07-2022 at 13:43.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Meanwhile the French are plotting elsewhere.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1359.jpg  
    Last edited by Bligh; 10-08-2022 at 12:32.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The opening shots are fired.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1424.jpg  

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Very quickly ships begin to collide, but the fire continues and ships are raked with severe consequences.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1425.jpg  

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The British Commadore is dumbfounded by the rapid loss of one of his squadron so soon into the action.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1428.jpg  

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Soon all the ships are engaged in a do or die contest.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1429.jpg  

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The Dutch commanders are very pleased with the action thus far whilst Dave Manley my co DM waits to bring the fortifications batteries into action.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1430.jpg  
    Last edited by Bligh; 10-07-2022 at 13:42.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Dave measures the range of his guns whilst the French wait expectantly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1431.jpg   IMG_1432.jpg  
    Last edited by Bligh; 10-07-2022 at 13:42.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The guns score a hit on the British Frigate and the French also declare that two of their ships are also firing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1433.jpg  
    Last edited by Bligh; 10-08-2022 at 12:30.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Prosapine also closes and takes a British Frigate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1424.jpg   IMG_1435.jpg  
    Last edited by Bligh; 10-07-2022 at 13:41.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The French are now three to two.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1436.jpg  
    Last edited by Bligh; 10-07-2022 at 13:40.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Undaunted the British still battle on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1437.jpg  
    Last edited by Bligh; 10-07-2022 at 13:40.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

When the next British Frigate surrenders Hoste is forced to retire with his own ship and a victory is proclaimed for the French.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1438.jpg  
    Last edited by Bligh; 10-07-2022 at 13:46.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The Butcher's bill.

British.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1440.jpg   IMG_1441.jpg   IMG_1442.jpg  

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Butcher's bill.

The French.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1443.jpg   IMG_1444.jpg   IMG_1445.jpg  

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

GAME TWO. AROUND THE RAGGED ROCKS.

The French have to deliver two unarmed Merchants containing reinforcing troops and munitions to Ragusa.
    As they skirt the rocky coastline which is too shallow for the heavy laden merchants to traverse, they are spotted by the British blocade. Will they be able to deliver their reinforcements intact?

The costal hazards.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1446.jpg  
    Last edited by Bligh; 10-08-2022 at 12:27.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Both sets of protagonists deploy.

The two French Frigates on the left split up, whilst the British head for the only channel through which the Merchants may pass.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1447.jpg  
    Last edited by Bligh; 10-08-2022 at 12:37.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The merchants to the rear shy away whilst the leading Frigate takes up a defensive stance as the two Brits try to weather the rocky island at the end of the chain. Meanwhile the second French Frigate slips through the shoals to the rear of the British.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1448.jpg  
    Last edited by Bligh; 10-08-2022 at 12:39.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The leading British Frigate gets in the first Broadside, but disaster strikes as it promoptly runs aground.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1450.jpg  

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

This was the only senior moment of the day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1449.jpg  

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Having destroyed one British ship, the second runs aboard the French Frigate and boards her.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1451.jpg  
    Last edited by Bligh; 10-08-2022 at 12:26.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

This has no effect on the outcome of the game as the French slip an undamaged Troopship past the British and thus take the second game with ease.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

BUTCHER'S BILL

French.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1452.jpg   IMG_1453.jpg  
    Last edited by Bligh; 10-08-2022 at 10:14.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

BRITISH.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1454.jpg   IMG_1455.jpg  
    Last edited by Bligh; 10-08-2022 at 10:14.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Finally a couple of shots from Chris's game taken before my camera battery ran out.
    These show my ship dealing out a broadside to the French. A battle which I subsequently lost, and a further poorly aimed forrard battery in action. The British did manage to win this one.

Rob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1456.jpg   IMG_1457.jpg  
    Last edited by Bligh; 10-08-2022 at 12:26.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

It looks like you had a great time, thanks for posting this so we can all see how the event went.
    The scenery for the first game looks superb.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thank you very much for your comments John. Only sorry that you could not be there to take part.
    Maybe next year!

Rob.