Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's on your workbench for January?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Default What's on your workbench for January?

Today I have been making a curtain wall for a gatehouse.
    First I cut out the battlements in a thin section of plasticard.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Bligh; 01-04-2022 at 08:08.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Next I cut the walkway, heated it up with a hot air gun and formed it around a suitable diameter dowel rod.
    Last edited by Bligh; 01-04-2022 at 08:08.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I then heated up the battlements, wrapped the hot plasticard around the walkway and clamped it in place after running Superglue between th two sections.
    Last edited by Bligh; 01-04-2022 at 08:07.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Then I ran the decorative collar around the wall top and glued that in place.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Finally I cut the wall to length and glued it to the curtain wall around the main gatehouse.
    Last edited by Bligh; 01-05-2022 at 00:42.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Looking good so far!
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Finally I cut the wall to length and glued it to the curtain wall around the main gatehouse.
    Was there a photo to go with this one?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

There was a photo Vol.
    I have reinstated it this morning before I leave for Dorset.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Hells Teeth, Rob - that was clever!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just started another one for one of the harbour end strongpoints when I got back this afternoon John. There are a lot of improvised walls and towers needed because none of the kit bits are quite right on this one. It is going to really stretch my ability to heat bend the plasticard on this build.

Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 01-07-2022 at 15:26.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Well, parts for the Charger QC to make up the heart of my gal's "007 Briefcase" are starting to come together... the rub is, the main frame components aren't going to be available until my supplier gets another batch of Ruger .22 Chargers in for teardown and part-out. So until then I'm basically sniping things off $50 or $100 at a time here and there... I'll try to set up a pic with the current parts in-hand laid out later.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

The book nook is slowly coming along. Tonight I worked on the signs. Stupid me, I forgot to reverse the signs that will be visable through the mirror and had to redo them.

Last edited by Bligh; 01-09-2022 at 01:50.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Well, parts for the Charger QC to make up the heart of my gal's "007 Briefcase" are starting to come together... the rub is, the main frame components aren't going to be available until my supplier gets another batch of Ruger .22 Chargers in for teardown and part-out. So until then I'm basically sniping things off $50 or $100 at a time here and there... I'll try to set up a pic with the current parts in-hand laid out later.
    Look forward to seeing what you have done so far DB.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Your Book Nook is coming along very nicely Vol. I took the liberty of spinning your pictures upright for you.
    Rob.

Oh thank you Rob, I couldn't figure out how to do that.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

For the record, the hulls on Henry's ships are painted, just trying to find an alternate source for hopefully one-piece masts. Unfortunately, the shakes are back... which means I'm limited to things that could be called "self indexing" or "gross motor activities." Hammers, wrenches and screwdrivers okay; paintbrushes, Xacto knives and Dremels not so much. :(
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Nice to see your projects coming along.

Myself I've been mostly inactive. All I've done since before Christmas is adapted bowsprits for a steel rod and printed some new bowsprits.

Oh... I ordered black paint too. I could start painting again now...

Doing some Armada stuff...

But not SoG Armada - it's Star Wars Armada.

Painting the X-Wing, Y-Wing and A-Wing squadrons.

Oh wow Sven, those look so cool! Who makes these minis?

Quote Originally Posted by Comte de Brueys View Post
    Doing some Armada stuff...

But not SoG Armada - it's Star Wars Armada.

Painting the X-Wing, Y-Wing and A-Wing squadrons.
    I thought those ships came pre-painted? The FFG SW Armada sets I mean.

Update on my workbench - Work on one of Henry's Gilded Sails ships continues. A large fluyt painted roughly in the colours of the Batavia. Need to touch up the rails

Fixed my 3d printer (LCD screen died). First print was the paint pot holder you see in the photo. No more tipping over expensive jars of Citadel paints! I have a Dutch pinnace to work on but need to determine how to do the masts. But plenty ahead of it in the queue.

Name:  PXL_20220109_223247450.PORTRAIT.jpg
Views: 877
Size:  153.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    I thought those ships came pre-painted? The FFG SW Armada sets I mean.
    Ships - yes

Squadrons - no

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looking good Eric and that paint pot holder is also a smart bit of work too.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I have tried to get going again.

Name:  D3A3E281-A4E9-4E40-B7E0-85387AD4D013.jpg
Views: 898
Size:  150.3 KB

Looking good Eric and that paint pot holder is also a smart bit of work too.
    Rob.
    Thanks for the rep point Rob!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thank you for your input Eric.
    Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Apologies for the FUBAR image, but...

The two blue boxes are each meant to hold 250 rounds of .22LR, but I'm repurposing the center bays from ammo-boxes to holding tools and spare parts. The red thing is a bore cleaner; folding grip in between the two boxes.

On the other side, working from where the muzzle would be back: micro-tool, front sights for three barrel assemblies, combo rear sight/optic rail and mount screws, magazine tensioners, receiver assembly pins, full set of fire-control pins, buffer pin plus two spares, quick-detach adapter/risers for pistol brace and rifle stock, pistol brace and finally the field maintenance guide.

Major missing components include brace/stock mount tubes, trigger-pack assembly, bolt and charging handle, receiver, chassis, barrels and handguards. The receiver and chassis are waiting for my supplier to get another batch of Chargers in for teardown and part-out since Ruger doesn't sell those two parts separately, barrels are waiting on cash flows since I'm trying to budget no more than $100-200 a month.
    Last edited by Bligh; 01-12-2022 at 01:59.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Is that a better orientation for you DB?

Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Is that a better orientation for you DB?

Rob.
    MUCH, my friend, thank you. :) I had it all set up shooting "landscape" with the tablet, but for some reason it got a mind of its own in its little Samsung silicon brain and decided to be contrary.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Now it is starting to look like something. There is still a lot left to do, like figure out where to install the lights and build the outer case.

Last edited by Bligh; 01-14-2022 at 01:05.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Beautiful, Vol. My aunt's a Potter addict, so I'm starting to wonder if I should ask if you take commissions...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just completed my outer gatehouse.

Beautiful, Vol. My aunt's a Potter addict, so I'm starting to wonder if I should ask if you take commissions...
    Haha, not likely DB! This is my first one and it is taking so much time! I could have built ten ships with the hours I've put into this thing!
    I wish I knew why my photos keep going sideways! They are right side up on my device. I don't know how to turn them.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Would you like me to turn these for you Vol?
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Oh wow Sven, those look so cool! Who makes these minis?
    Sorry, did not see that question.

It's a board game by Fantasy Flight Games.

STAR WARS ARMADA

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Mejicano

Name:  4213D721-540B-45E2-8DD0-0C4076A58F3D.jpg
Views: 941
Size:  135.2 KB

Name:  43A2F30C-D530-4A0C-BDCF-BCEAE79E6C95.jpg
Views: 840
Size:  125.2 KB

Name:  5822CE7E-E600-43AB-9752-437D8C4DAE98.jpg
Views: 970
Size:  136.4 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Another fine ship Jonas.
    Rob.

Would you like me to turn these for you Vol?
    Rob.
    If it isn't too much trouble Rob, thanks

Gorgeous ship Jonas!

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

I feel obliged to note that I have a Brown Bess and a flintlock pistol on the to-do list for "more period related," but those are a matter of budget and finding suitable parts kits. :)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

I feel obliged to note that I have a Brown Bess and a flintlock pistol on the to-do list for "more period related," but those are a matter of budget and finding suitable parts kits. :)
    Antiques or replicas DB?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

If it isn't too much trouble Rob, thanks
    Done and dusted Vol.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Now working on the main harbour fortifications. Hope to get the fort completed today.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Thank you for the reputation, Rob.

Bahama
    Name:  B6D0123A-5884-40E0-8685-DEDFDBEA8B51.jpg
Views: 792
Size:  168.8 KB

Name:  44DF24B0-6FAA-4A3F-B794-29860D16CEA0.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  132.0 KB

Name:  F19C0B11-1C49-4593-8C39-012BB34EBA95.jpg
Views: 924
Size:  143.5 KB

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

A better picture of the stern.

Name:  727B885E-9216-4CA4-B4B3-DA950E0F583B.jpeg
Views: 838
Size:  148.7 KB

Note the details of Simon’s model. It’s the 1:700 model printed in 1:1000.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Antiques or replicas DB?
    Replicas, amigo. :) With TWO exceptions, I won't have anything in my Arms Locker that I didn't build myself. Exception One is my old duty sidearm which was built by a friend from my mom's company gun club Back In The Day, Exception Two is a general category for things my girlfriend and I build together or she builds at my bench and I store for her.

I do know a guy way up north almost to the BC border who has a HUGE collection of vintage frontstuffers including IIRC a Trade Gun from the Lewis & Clark Expedition and some pre-Crockett Kentucky Longrifles, though...

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    A better picture of the stern.

Name:  727B885E-9216-4CA4-B4B3-DA950E0F583B.jpeg
Views: 838
Size:  148.7 KB

Note the details of Simon’s model. It’s the 1:700 model printed in 1:1000.
    MUCH better than the official release. :) Jealous here.

Rob, fort's coming along nicely.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I would love to be able to see those early historic guns in the flesh asit were DB.

Rob.

Done and dusted Vol.

Rob.
    Thanks Rob, I think! They appear to be dusted clean away. It's ok, they were not great pictures anyway.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That is really odd Vol, because I can see them!

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here is my first fortification now ready for undercoating, and thanks for the Rep Vol.
    Rob.