Thread: Full stop and struck sails rule

Ordinary Seaman
    France

Log Entries
    Name
    Simon

Default Full stop and struck sails rule

Is it possible to voluntarily decide to move all the sails (from backing sails to no sails at all => struck sails), even if no damage sails counter is taken ?
    Or does the struck sails rule leading to a full stop is only applied when a struck sails damage counter is taken ?

If not, does the ship still have to follow the "struck sails" rules, or can he continue to program maneuvering cards as normal, knowing that the ship will only move when its sails change from "no sails" to "backing sails" ?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

No problem Simon.
    However, if you strike all sails, you may like to develop rules to include drift with the wind direction/tide.
    We have an anchor chit for this action to prevent drift, but to raise and cat your anchor again takes two cards. This assumes that you are setting sails as the anchor is recovered. The use of a chit also requires an action move. Thus if you have say three moves available you can raise anchor, set the sails and carry out one more move. Incidentally after setting sails the first move must always be the shortest straight move whilst the rudder bites.
    You can also elaborate on this situation to lower ships boats and send in raiding parties or to take surrendered enemy ships, although this can of course be done under backing sails also without doing more than having to heave to. We have also added a set of rules for setting a spring on to the deployed anchor of a ship from your boats, so as to enable a ship at anchor so be manoeuvred to bring her guns to bear.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Ordinary Seaman
    France

Log Entries
    Name
    Simon

Thank you for the house rules about drifting and other.

But about the struck sails official rule, must it be only applied when receiving a damaged sail token, or can it also officially be used when the player wants his ship to come to a full stop ?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Yes Simon. You may strike your sails whenever you wish to. Sorry if I was a bit obtuse with my answer.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Ordinary Seaman
    France

Log Entries
    Name
    Simon

Thank you Rob.
    My question came from a wrong translation of Struck Sails in French.
    Now, it is clear.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Glad to be of help Simon, even if somewhat indirectly. I should have realized that the word struck may have been misinterpreted.
    Rob.

Ordinary Seaman
    France

Log Entries
    Name
    Simon

The non-official french translation of SOG rulebook made by a gamer includes a few mistakes.
    Struck Sails has been misinterpreted and translated in French as Damage Sails.
    So, the rule for Struck Sails makes sense now, as it means that sails have been totally decreased and put down.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/1...de-sails-glory