Thread: The strategic and operational war?

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Joseph

Default The strategic and operational war?

We've all read a thousand books on Trafalgar, on seamanship, tactics, blockade actions, and gunnery. On uniforms and cannon sizes. What I would love to read more of is big picture. The strategic and operational decision making going on at those levels. Why squadrons were sent where, how campaigns were conducted as far as logistics (both victualling and arms and armaments, not at the individual but at the squadron and fleet level), communication of positions and orders, and coordination of operations. Does anyone have any books that can really hit on these points?

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Not on specific cases, but as a general overview 1755-1815 of victualling, transport, building, repair, manning and supply... "The Foundations of British Maritime Ascendency" Roger Morriss CUP 2011

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Joseph

Quote Originally Posted by Lieste View Post
    Not on specific cases, but as a general overview 1755-1815 of victualling, transport, building, repair, manning and supply... "The Foundations of British Maritime Ascendency" Roger Morriss CUP 2011
    Thank you! This text? https://www.amazon.com/Foundations-B.../dp/0521768098

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

That's the one. A lot of the foundation in economics, organisation, leadership of the Admiralty, Transport, Victualing, Ordnance boards, public funds and debt, Dockyards, competing needs of manpower for the merchant marine, and navy, with additional pressure from the army and civilian trades and agriculture.

Fairly accessible, with 24 pp of bibliography to guide further study. Obviously focussed around his Britannic Majesty's Navy, but it does touch briefly on competing interests to provide context and comparison.

This mostly makes it at an even higher level of abstraction than strategic - but it is the foundation on which the operations can be built - the powerhouse for the expansion and dominance of the RN going into the C19th

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looks interesting and is slightly cheaper over here than it is in the States, but not by much.

As posted on Amazon U.K.Brandon Bookstore UK. £64.29. Free delivery: Jan 21 - Feb 4

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/S...tion&xdesc=off

£20- used, £26 new. HC from £43:25
    Last edited by Lieste; 12-15-2021 at 07:25.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Joseph

Thank you! Ordering from abebooks. Not sure if this book touches on it, but any books on how squadrons were managed and dispatches/positions/orders were communicated?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good for you David.
    I had only looked at the Hardcover Book. With over 500 pages I find that my books for reference seem to lose pages after a time. That is why I go for hardcovers for any books I know will only be read once or twice. Looks as if my Rep Gun is going to be busy today.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.