Thread: What's on Your Workbench for December 2021

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Arrived a few minutes ago, and just in time for Christmas, my present from number one son. This contains the rest of the bits and bobs for my latest seaport construction work, which will recommence after the holiday. Can't wait till I get to open it tomorrow.
    Rob.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

A booknook is a mini scene disguised as a book that can be set in a bookshelf. Examples:
    Name:  94d412b00a2a304b6a01694227715417.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  140.7 KB
    Name:  2fa36ca4604afcf417ce7a84ba917e5a.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  101.5 KB
    Name:  e7187bb24c4cecf21a81045ce8cfbd34.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  59.5 KB
    Name:  6cf2086898e5bda150484207c4f74773.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  120.3 KB
    Name:  75e8226f31791cadfe317ccb5ddf1987.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  90.3 KB
    Name:  e172553ab669074639d2d1e1c2d08f5c.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  16.4 KB

Just about any scene from a book or imagination. They are becoming quite popular. My youngest daughter wants a Diagon Alley nook to set with her Harry Potter collection, and the older daughter wants the Mines of Moria for her bookshelf.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for the clarification Vol.
    i learn something new every day on the Anchorage.
    I now await the finished booknote with bated breath.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Oh I seriously doubt my effort will be as nice as the ones pictured, lol

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

It’ll be interesting to see what you build, Vol.

I have started on Rayo.

Name:  ABBD7375-32B6-40A1-8DB0-DF78509FC209.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  155.2 KB

That is a pretty ship Jonas! The figurehead looks interesting. Is that an extended arm?

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

I have many Bolt Action figures to work on, which has added to the slow growing "pile of shame".

I say slow, but it's growing rather quicker than I expected!
    No-one expects a ship full of dwarves.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    That is a pretty ship Jonas! The figurehead looks interesting. Is that an extended arm?
    Yes. Simon was hesitant about the figurehead but I hoped he’d keep this correct one with the extended arm. I guess he made a compromise as he kept it but made it a bit oversized. I guess he had problems printing it.

I printed his resin 1:700 ship at 70% to get an as detailed version as possible and had no problems at all. Printed like a dream as all of his ships do.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looking very good so far Jonas. The extended arm gives a certain air of rightness even if it is a bit elongated.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by McDorf View Post
    I have many Bolt Action figures to work on, which has added to the slow growing "pile of shame".

I say slow, but it's growing rather quicker than I expected!
    Don't worry Gary, I have a 20 year old pile of shame, with dust on it.
    Rob.

My pile extends back to the late 1970's, so I believe I have you all beat!

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Yes. My oldest unpainted stuff is from the early to mid eighties. (83-84?) You beat me.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You certainly have me there Vol. I cleared up most of my backlog when I retired. The oldeat remaining figure is a Joseph Bugman on a barrel which was a spoecial only obtainable from Bugman's bar at Games Workshop HQ. That is the start of my 30 years remaining pile to do.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 12-26-2021 at 13:31.

I still have unpainted Elan Merch Bakshi LOTR minis, various Heritage Grenadier and Ral Partha fantasy figs. And I have quite a few Ral Partha and Minifigs historicals.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

I think you've both got me beat for the "best pile of shame" award.

I've also been printing out some models too, so that's adding even more! I've recently been printing off some terrain for use with wargaming.
    No-one expects a ship full of dwarves.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Name:  CAE48966-4266-4DD6-9262-F6B97E97BBF3.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  170.6 KB

Really need that black paint now. It’s in the mail…

Are those the resin masts and sails Jonas?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I was rather intrigued by the glimpse of those masts too Jonas.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Yes they are.

Name:  847E628C-614F-4190-8C05-6073D68701C6.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  290.7 KB

How well do they hold up for rigging, strength wise? And are they Henry's or Simon's? Sorry Jonas, I am sure you have answered these questions before, but I'm old and can't remember .....

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I resemble that remark Vol!
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

In passing I now have my pressies unpacked and am placing the new bits around the plan.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

This afternoon and evening I cut and shunted parts for the first corner of the model.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    How well do they hold up for rigging, strength wise? And are they Henry's or Simon's? Sorry Jonas, I am sure you have answered these questions before, but I'm old and can't remember .....
    It’s Simon’s Black Sea sails for two dollars or something like that. I have scaled them as I’ve written in an earlier post.

The masts hold up well. They are quite sturdy. The bowsprit isn’t as sturdy, but that was designed by me.

I probably should try to design a version that have a steel rod/pin as the base as Simon’s sails does.

Rob, I am in awe of your project. So much detail! Looking forward to seeing the end results!

I am in awe of the space Rob must have to store all of the amazing terrain he builds!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

It all fits into a three drawer plans chest thus far Vol, but this may be my last project as there will only be enough room to fit this one in.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt Kangaroo View Post

Looking forward to seeing the end results!
    This may be a month or two Erin as there is quite a lot of scratch building work on this one because even with the bought in bits of wallwork, a lot of the shapes are just unobtainable for this one.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

A bit more progress today on the curtain wall.

So I thought I would try my hand at rigging. I started small with a Sloop and Brig (center). Sorry about the quality of the pix.

I am trying to decide which ship to do next.

Name:  IMG_4328.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  101.2 KBName:  IMG_4327.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  181.7 KBName:  IMG_4329.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  178.0 KBName:  IMG_4330.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  174.9 KBName:  IMG_4331.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  106.8 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Handsomely done Erin.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Another section of wall completed today.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Well done!

I’ve been working on remaking the bowsprit…

Name:  3683B427-575C-4D60-98BE-89832B1E2834.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  185.5 KB

It looks good Jonas. How well do those sails line up with the stays?

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I’d say ok and glueing them to the stays will make it possible to bend them the last bit. That’s also the reason I wanted to make the base in steel. I realized that the bowsprit needs to be able to take a load without bending. It’s not as important for the jib boom.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looks like a good modification to me Jonas.
    Do you do thenm in Sloop size?

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

My effort for today was on my Port buildings, turning this into this,

Wow, that's excellent Rob!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Vol. It is one of the Key buildings in my town.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Do you do them in Sloop size?

Rob.
    So far I've done them for Spanish first rate and a test print for third rates.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I wont beg a print off you then Jonas.
    My HMS Bounty has all sails excepting the Bowsprit.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

It’ll probably be done down the line. I have been playing around with making a less fragile version too.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Jonas.
    Here is the next section of wall I completed today. I am now about half way round the town outer perimeter walls.
    Rob.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Not Sails related, but two different requests led to a common development project for both...

1. A cop buddy has a daughter who's just reaching the age where he needs to start teaching her about weapons safety, and he thought a complete lightweight range kit in a briefcase-size package would be good for starting her on "if you wanna shoot it, you clean it, you maintain it and you schlep it."
    2. My gal is a fan of classic spy movies, so I thought it might be fun to modernize the basic concept of 007's briefcase in From Russia With Love and turn it into an "everything you need for a variety of situations and a complete range-day in a briefcase," then see if I can find or have a couple of rangemaster buddies design her a series of stages to let her play "Bond Girl For A Day."

The AR7 aircrew survival rifle was compact and a big deal in 1963, but now is rather dated... and it frankly just feels kinda "blah," doesn't have that Q Branch "it factor." So we're looking to the Ruger 10/22 family in the same caliber, specifically the Charger Takedown pistol model--since TD's are designed to split in half where the barrel meets the receiver, it occurred to me that that quick-detach capability can be used to build a switch-hitter to go from pistol to rifle barrel lengths and back, just like established precedent with Thompson/Center Contenders and AR15s that start as pistols. Similarly, the Charger has a rail on its rear that can be used to mount a forearm brace when set up as a large-frame pistol... or, as with the AR or Contender once a legal-length barrel is on, a rifle stock assembly. Net result: a platform that can be set up as a plinker pistol for games on the range, a large-frame pistol for starting a smaller-statured person on their first shoot, or a fullsize .22 rifle for rifle matches... or all three setups can be used to quickly and economically present a variety of "Range Day... At the Movies" events.

The case:
    https://www.harborfreight.com/18-in-...ase-69318.html
    Interior is pluck-foam, looks like it can be tailored to fit the components without needing clamps, clips or tiedowns. Shoulder strap is kinda cheap and crappy, so it got upgraded with this from a camera-supply store.
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...for_NANUK.html
    Cheap, cheerful, comfortable and helps disguise it as a camera case... and with the addition of QD sling swivels, one less piece of the system that needs storage space inside the case since it can double as the rifle's sling.

The weapon:
    Basically, the core of the project starts with a "Homebrew Edition" version of a Ruger 4935.
    https://ruger.com/products/22Charger...eets/4935.html
    Main differences are a folding grip cribbed from the USAF's new ejection-seat-kit aircrew survival rifle, and that the factory handguard is getting removed from the 10" barrel, installed onto the new 6" and replaced with this.
    https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com...mi-1022-8h.htm
    More room for mounting accessories, allows more "support hand" position options, AND looks a lot more "spy movie." Rifle barrel assembly will use a similar handguard, just 5" longer.
    Also, for cases where we don't need a scope but DO need an iron sight, the OEM scope rail is getting replaced with this.

Leave bare for a short pistol, slap on a red-dot for a long pistol or a QD-mounted scope for rifle stages.

Additional accessories: Cleaning and assembly/disassembly tools and gear to quickly load and unload magazines.

Differences between the two are that for my buddy and his daughter I'd recommend that all modules not relevant to the day's planned itinerary be removed to save weight, along with reducing the ammo and magazine load.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.