Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AAR All at sea in the Indian Ocean.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Default AAR All at sea in the Indian Ocean.

Preamble.

It should be noted that since your last visit to the Cape dear reader there have been several changes to the personnel and ships posted there.
    Admiral Sir Joshua Pound is now Lord Pound of Mathurin KCB. following an action of the port on the Isle of Rodriguges which lost him an arm but ensured him the Governorship of the Cape.
    As commander of the Squadron based at the Cape, is newly promoted, and now Commodore, Sir Josiah Pennyman, Pound’s Flag Captain, who distinguished himself at the battle, by leading the boarding attack in which the French Flagship was taken.
    The Royal George having returned to England for repairs, the role of Squadron Flagship has devolved onto the newly arrived 80 gun HMS Tonnant under Pennyman’s Flag Captain Richard Stirling.
    The Bellerophon 74, remains on station, now under the command of Captain Thomas Crown.
    Also still based at the Cape are the Phoenix 74, still under Captain Joseph Porter,
    and Superb 74, now commanded by Scottish Captain Douglas Noble.
    Joining the squadron is the HMS Agamemnon 64, Captain Robert (Bob) Roberts, and the Frigate Juno, now under our old friend Captain George Farthing.
    Amelia is still commanded by Captain Angus Groat.
    Indefatigable has now returned from England having been razeed to a large, 38 under Captain Daniel Florrin.
    Still on station is the Bomb Ketch Vulcan under Lieutenant Valentine Pony, and they are now joined by the Sloop HMS Beagle, under Commander John Quid,
    And Cutter Naiad, Lieutenant Richard Bender.
    These were the Captains hastily assembled by Sir Joshua when the battered Merchantman Pandora arrived with the news of the loss of her two accompanying consorts the Gladys and Richmond to a French Frigate two days previous to her encounter with the French Sloop Ceres, and the subsequent taking of the HEIC Aurora before Pandora managed to slip away during the height of the action.
    Pennyman and his captains were now determined to put a stop to the French incursions in the Indian Ocean which constituted a real danger to British trade routes. With Sir Joshua’s blessing a strike force made up of Agamemnon, Indefatigable, Amelia and Juno set out from Cape Town to blockade the Isle de France.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Departing Table bay.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Rounding Robin Island.

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

A magnificent sight Captain Bligh. Enough to put the wind up any Froggie.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I hope so Gary.
    Thanks for the Rep.
    The full AAR will follow when I get time to clear for action!
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

AAR...ALL AT SEA IN THE INDIAN OCEAN.

Several days after Pandora’s Box was opened at the Cape, the Governor of Bombay was becoming disturbed about the fact that HEIC Aurora had not returned from her cruise. After a further week had gone by he decided to dispatch the Frigate HEIC Bombay under Captain Geoffrey Smithers to try and trace what had become of her. After several weeks of trawling Aurora’s patrol area in what was becoming a fruitless exercise Captain Smithers decided that as the wind was set fair for the the Isle de France he would take a peak in that direction before returning empty handed to Bombay.
    Last edited by Bligh; 12-11-2021 at 05:31.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

It was several days later at the end of the morning watch that the lookout hailed the deck with the news that two sails had been spotted hull down on the horizon.
    Last edited by Bligh; 12-11-2021 at 05:31.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

A while later and the ships could be recognised for what they were, a Corvette to Starboard and a Frigate to the Port of the Bombay. With the wind in his favour Captain Smithers could see that the ships were sporting French colours and decided to account for the smaller ship first before the Frigate could come up. He, therefore, instructed the ships Master Mr. McKenzie to alter course to intercept the Corvette.
    Last edited by Bligh; 12-11-2021 at 05:30.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Bombay rapidly closed the Frenchman, and as his colours were masked by the sails. It was not until a signal broke out on the Frenchman’s foremast and went unanswered by Bombay that the French captain smelt a rat.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Incredibly, as far as Captain Smithers was concerned, the French corvette Ceres suddenly turned into the wind and discharged her forrard section of guns into the Bombay. He had been expecting her to turn to starboard in an attempt to rake the Bombay. The close range fire from the 9lbrs of the Ceres hardly dinted the teak built Bombay’s hull but several men fell to splinters and the rudder took a hit.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Whilst this encounter progressed, the French Frigate Concorde had raised several signal flags and although still a good mile away from the action was now tacking desperately against the wind in an effort to get into range and bring succour to her compatriot.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Meanwhile Bombay ignored the frigate and maintained her course, crossing the Ceres’ stern.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Bombay’s first double shotted broadside raked the Ceres and the lightly constructed ship was virtually rendered a wreck within seconds.
    Last edited by Bligh; 12-11-2021 at 05:29.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Although continuing to blow South Westerly, the wind now chose this moment to freshen, and Bombay took this opportunity to set more sail and press on.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Captain Smithers, nevertheless, took the time to launch his cutter with a prize crew for the Ceres which had now surrendered.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

From the quarterdeck the French Frigate could now be clearly made out, still downwind, but tacking to close the range to Bombay with each proceeding minute.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Captain Smithers now decided it was high time to outsmart the Frenchman, and delivered his instructions to the helmsman to hold the weather gauge, and his Master Gunner to ready the portside battery with double shot.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

As Bombay approached the French Frigate, her captain tacked once more in an attempt to rake Bombay.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Captain Smithers was not about to let that happen and already given orders to turn a few points to Port. As soon as the French captain saw this he turned to starboard in an attempt to avoid being raked himself.
    Last edited by Bligh; 12-11-2021 at 05:28.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Captain Smithers countered the French move by a turn to starboard himself so that he could deliver counter battery fire with his as yet unused portside guns. As he did so La Concorde ported her helm and brought her own broadside to bear and both ships then fired almost simultaneously.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The fire from both ships was telling but, Bombay’s slightly heavier broadside was slightly the more telling.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

As the smoke cleared and the gunners frantically reloaded, the masthead lookout reported another vessel bearing down from the North East. This turned out to be a French Sloop.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

From the direction in which it was approaching Smithers surmised that it was one in a chain of French vessels sweeping the area in search of merchantmen.
    As it gradually drew nearer, one of the hands recognised it as the Alligator.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Bombay was now in a predicament by being sandwiched between the two French vessels.
    Last edited by Bligh; 12-11-2021 at 05:27.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Captain Smithers decided to continue to engage the French Frigate, but as he took up the chase the the wind fluctuated and was now blowing from due south as it veered toward the South East.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Realising that Concorde was now on its best point of sailing and afraid that he would lose her, Captain Smithers took a gamble and turning into the wind delivered a broadside at long range.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Although the damage was not crippling it had an effect of far more consequence than Captain Smithers anticipated. The damage to Concorde’s sails convinced her captain that he could not now outrun Bombay so he too came about in order to try conclusions with the HEIC vessel.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Deciding that this was his chance to end the duel before the Sloop arrived, Smithers also put up his helm and the two ships closed on opposing courses.
    Both ships fired but were slightly beyond close range and failed to hit each other with their loads of double shot.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

As they manoeuvred for position both crews were hard at it reloading the guns.
    With the inside turn Bombay overhauled Concorde and both ships delivered another broadside as they drew level.
    Last edited by Bligh; 12-11-2021 at 05:26.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

This time Bombay came out on top and Concord’s crew were struck down in droves without Bombay receiving a ball.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

It was obvious that both ships broadsides were weakening, and Bombay now tacked as Captain Smithers had determined to board the Frenchman. As Bombay came about she was able to use her still loaded Port side guns to rake the French Sloop which was seeking to cross her stern. The more powerful broadside guns successfully brought down one of the Sloop’s masts.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

It was only at this juncture, as the smoke cleared, that the British realized that the French Frigate had struck.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Whilst all this was sinking in the French Sloop, although failing to get in its intended rake did manage to do some real damage to the stern of Bombay, and cripple its steering for some minutes.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Putting his helm hard over, Captain Smithers continued his turn to Port and now placed Bombay firmly across the sloop’s stern. Just before it disintegrated, he read the name Alligator on the transom confirming what his lookout had claimed earlier in the action.
    Last edited by Bligh; 12-11-2021 at 05:25.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Through the shattered stern he could also see a fire taking hold of the Sloop.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Both ships continued to turn although from her erratic movements it appeared that the Sloop had no helmsman in control or had lost her steering gear.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

She was, however, still under some semblance of command and both ships exchanged another somewhat weakened broadside at each other, despite most of the remaining French crew having been withdrawn from the guns to fight the fire.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

This was to prove the final action from the French, save for the striking of her colours by her one remaining midshipman to be uninjured amongst her Officers.
    It was now a matter of fighting the fire, and Bombay dispatched a boat to help in saving the prize.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

It was at this juncture that a hail from the foretops made Captain Smithers blood run cold. Another Frigate had appeared on the scene drawn to the sound of the guns. With half his crew either dead or aboard the three prizes, and Bombay in a shambles, he was in no position to take on yet another Frenchman.
    Last edited by Bligh; 12-11-2021 at 05:24.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

With resignation he made sail and turned toward the new foe resigned to the fact that Bombay would at least go down fighting.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Captain Smithers could see that the newcomer had the legs on Bombay, with its damage and the pumps working overtime, and it was obvious that it was going to cross his bow. Just as he was about to give the order to turn to starboard and meet the Frenchman gun for gun, her colours were broken out at the jack staff.
    With utter relief through his Dolland Glass he could see that she was sporting the Blue ensign of the Cape Squadron and not the Tricolour of France.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

In no time at all Captain George Farthing of HMS Juno, had dispatched his ships boats to the aid of the Bombay, and working parties to the three prizes she had taken, thus releasing her own hands to return to help with the repairs to their own ship.
    That evening, over a meal and a good bottle of Port, Captain explained to Captain Smithers how the Cape Squadron happened to be in the area, and all about the loss of the Aurora.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

What they did not learn was that she had already been partly avenged by the taking of the Alligator. It was Commodore Pennyman’s decision to blockade The Isle de France with the ships of the line whilst his Frigates patrolled the known areas where the French were known to operate, hence the arrival of Juno in time to see the demise of the small French flotilla.
    After the interrogation of the remaining French Officers and crew it was discovered that Aurora’s crew had been taken as prisoners to the Isle de France and that the battered Aurora was undergoing repairs there prior to joining the French Squadron when the Frigates returned from their marauding.
    A couple of days later, with repairs and jury masts erected on a couple of the prizes, the ships set off for Bombay escorted by Bombay and Juno.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The Butcher’s Bill.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Another excellent tale of derring do, congratulations to Captain Smithers for a well deserved victory.

Was the last frigate to arrive a literary ploy or part of the scenario, and also was this a solo game again? The tension was racking up at each new interjection, if that's the word I mean to use. Yet another enjoyable battle.
    Thanks for the story.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Very astute comment John.
    The arrival of Juno was both a part of the scenario and a literary ploy. It was intended to marry up the Prologue of the Cape squadron being deployed with the search of the HEIC for their missing ship, ans also as a safty net for Smithers if things turned against him. I was not at all sure if he could cope with all three enemy ships. The dice roll for wind at the start of the show was a great asset to Bombay as it slowed down the conjunction of the searching ships, otherwise he would have been accosted by at least two at the same time. By allowing him to turn South and deal with the first Sloop the odds became much better. Then it was just a matter of the draw of the chits and the AI roll of the dice.
    You will find out more about the plot line when the two disparate parts of the team start working together.
    Thanks for your comments.

Rob.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Juno's arrival worked well, I imagine Captain Smithers breathed a sigh of relief when he recognised the flag.

I'd not noticed before but are you using a new backdrop? Also I meant to say that the fire and smoke effects looked good. I played my first sails game for ages a few days ago and one of the ships caught fire and I used my wings fire effects when I took the photo. I thought at the time I needed something more sails oriented.
    Cheers

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You might find this interesting John.

https://www.sailsofglory.org/content...g-ship-on-fire

I have made a few changes since I wrote this. The base is now a standard Ares one and the earring battery fits through to lower the light without bending it. I also replace the masts and sails after fitting the light so that the ships which get the fire under control can proceed without suddenly looking repaired. That first construction was to simulate a sinking ship with no return to the game such as Orient at the Nile. I have yet to devise a method of producing an exploding ship.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here are a few shots of ships on fire John.
    I can't see this one recovering!

The nearest I have got to an explosion.

This one just has the light pushed in between the sails on a standard model as an optional way to do yout fires.

Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 12-12-2021 at 01:28.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

The led light looks remarkably effective. My expert on earings says she's never heard of led ones. I'll have to investigate further.

I did find a couple of cheap duplicate ships that I was going to experiment with, one I've repainted to see if it was an improvement, next step with it is to try rigging. The other I was going to cut off the peg and see if I could use magnets to attach it to the clear base and paper removing the thick blue base which I really don't like. If that failed it was to become a wreck.

Thanks for the pointer on the fire, very impressive.